PDA

View Full Version : Grip Tape on a Trigger?

GRV
05-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Something in my gut says it's a really bad idea, and on a Glock you'd have to be exceedingly careful not to interfere with the trigger safety....BUT...

has anyone experimented with putting a patch of grip tape on their trigger?

I don't mean covering the trigger in grip tape. Instead, what I'm referring to is a carefully placed small patch to ensure that you always get on the same (ideal) spot and to make sure your finger doesn't slide around during the press.

HCM
05-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Something in my gut says it's a really bad idea, and on a Glock you'd have to be exceedingly careful not to interfere with the trigger safety....BUT...

has anyone experimented with putting a patch of grip tape on their trigger?

I don't mean covering the trigger in grip tape. Instead, what I'm referring to is a carefully placed small patch to ensure that you always get on the same (ideal) spot and to make sure your finger doesn't slide around during the press.

I've heard of right-handed shooters putting a small strip of grip tape on the right side of Glock triggers, to the right of the trigger safety, to ensure when they pull the trigger they "feel " the right side of the trigger and don't "teter totter" and pull shots to the left.

GRV
05-13-2016, 12:37 PM
I've heard of right-handed shooters putting a small strip of grip tape on the right side of Glock triggers, to the right of the trigger safety, to ensure when they pull the trigger they "feel " the right side of the trigger and don't "teter totter" and pull shots to the left.

Huh. Muzzle-forward I actually have the left side (the slide-stop lever side) in mind for the same purpose. Was that a typo?

Alternatively, both sides, but small enough so I'm hitting a consistent spot in the trigger, which can be a little tough when trying to also minimize frame contact and such.

HCM
05-13-2016, 03:42 PM
Huh. Muzzle-forward I actually have the left side (the slide-stop lever side) in mind for the same purpose. Was that a typo?

Alternatively, both sides, but small enough so I'm hitting a consistent spot in the trigger, which can be a little tough when trying to also minimize frame contact and such.

No. I have large hands so frame contact / "biceping" isn't and issue for me. If I don't go to the first joint, I "teeter -Totter" on the trigger safety. Basically my finger only makes contact with the trigger safety and the left (slide stop) side of the trigger. This results in pulling the trigger back towards my 4/5 o'clock rather than pulling straight back towards 6 o'clock. This then pushes shots left to my 10/11 o'clock,

SURF's trigger control video illustrates this better than my explanation.

If you have small hands, shoot with the tip of your finger to avoid biceping issues YMMV.

littlejerry
05-13-2016, 05:23 PM
Occasionally I'll use some of the common grip powders at a summer outdoor match if my hands are sweaty. When I do I'm VERY careful not to get it anywhere in the trigger finger or it totally screws up my trigger press.

Tape on my trigger doesn't sound appealing.

GNiner
05-14-2016, 07:04 AM
While many here like to replace their Glock 19 serrated triggers with a G17 smooth-faced trigger bar, I actually like the G19 serrated triggers for just this reason. In fact, I have put the serrated trigger bars in my G17s.

Kennydale
05-14-2016, 09:43 AM
At the range (G17 G4), I wear Band-Aids on both R&L Trigger Fingers. Thought about a Flat Trigger !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serialsolver
06-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Now while bored and looking at old threads i saw this one. I tried skate board tape on a hi power once. Not successful. But the wild idea of stippling a trigger like what's done on a glock frame might work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lomshek
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM
I haven't cared for any triggers I've had with any kind of texturing or grooves and prefer a smooth trigger so that my finger and "settle" into the sweet spot. Practice makes sure I'm landing on the trigger with the correct part of my finger.

Odin Bravo One
06-16-2016, 03:23 PM
I haven't cared for any triggers I've had with any kind of texturing or grooves and prefer a smooth trigger so that my finger and "settle" into the sweet spot. Practice makes sure I'm landing on the trigger with the correct part of my finger.

This.

To me it Sounds like you're looking to solve a software problem buy incorporating hardware.

GRV
06-16-2016, 05:51 PM
Didn't end up trying it and don't intend to currently.

I was curious if it had been done before and what the results were.

FWIW, I greatly prefer the G17 trigger face to the G19 one, not that it's really all that relevant IMO.

At the moment, I've mostly given up on the "minimal trigger-finger frame contact" concept that caused me to post this thread in the first place.

Lomshek
06-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Didn't end up trying it and don't intend to currently.
At the moment, I've mostly given up on the "minimal trigger-finger frame contact" concept that caused me to post this thread in the first place.

Within certain parameters the "minimal trigger-finger frame contact" concept is valid but you're not going to get that diagnosed on the internet. You need quality instruction to be shown the plusses and minuses of the different methods and they all vary based on finger & hand size and shape and gun size & shape.

GRV
06-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Tell me about it.