PDA

View Full Version : HK 10rd mags

newyork
05-13-2016, 05:44 AM
I'm looking into buying an HK this year (maybe). I was thinking of the full size or compact hk45. I was also looking at the P2000 and P30 but I'm wondering if problems have been known to happen with their neutered 10rd mags for guns that normally hold more.
I know glock has had this problem and have experienced them myself. Just wondering if HK has seen this issue too or if they are gtg.

BCL
05-13-2016, 05:51 AM
You shouldn't (key word) have any issues with neutered HK mags in any caliber.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

newyork
05-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Idea was to go with a medium to full size gun for hd and occassional carry in .45 if the neutered to 9mm mags were shady.
I do have 2 1911s so that may just be the answer anyway and prevent a purchase.

If 9mm neutered mags were all fine I'd probably go P2000 or P30, leaning P2000.

SteveB
05-13-2016, 06:27 AM
My own personal (and anecdotal) experience is that the HK 10-round mags are good to go. I've been carrying a 9mm P2000 as a primary in CT for years, also shooting it in IDPA and have never had a problem with factory 10-rounders. As a matter of fact, regarding 9mm & .40 P2000's, 9mm P2000SK's, 9mm P30's and HK45c's, I can't ever remember having a magazine-related issue.

newyork
05-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Of all those, what are you finding as the best Jack of all trades gun when limited to 10rds?

jh9
05-13-2016, 06:43 AM
My own personal (and anecdotal) experience is that the HK 10-round mags are good to go. I've been carrying a 9mm P2000 as a primary in CT for years, also shooting it in IDPA and have never had a problem with factory 10-rounders. As a matter of fact, regarding 9mm & .40 P2000's, 9mm P2000SK's, 9mm P30's and HK45c's, I can't ever remember having a magazine-related issue.

Aren't 10-round Glock magazines the only ones that did the half-ass single stack thing? Beretta, SIG, HK, etc are all "normal" magazines just a lot shorter with the long plastic base to make up the difference.

Hauptmann
05-13-2016, 06:58 AM
Of all those, what are you finding as the best Jack of all trades gun when limited to 10rds?

Personally I find anything smaller than full serviced sized .45s to be too slow when running the gun hard and lacking in mag capacity for my needs. A full sized HK45 would work, but it is hard to conceal in warm weather. I carry a Sig P239 9mm(Hogue rubber wrap-around grips are a must) with an extra 8rd mag most of the time for off duty carry, and find that it more than meets my needs. Sure, it only holds 8rds of 9mm.....but it handles like a larger service pistol and shoots as accurately as a full sized P226(so all I really give up is mag capacity).

LSP972
05-13-2016, 07:42 AM
I'm looking into buying an HK this year (maybe). I was thinking of the full size or compact hk45. I was also looking at the P2000 and P30 but I'm wondering if problems have been known to happen with their neutered 10rd mags for guns that normally hold more.

No problems with the HK 10 rounders. I have them in both .40 and 9mm, have shot them in both the P2000 and USP Compact in both calibers. These are the same overall size as the larger capacity P2000/USPc mags; the P30 10 rounders are longer to fit the longer butt of that pistol. I have not seen or used them, but I have no doubt they are every bit as solid as the other HK metal magazines. They will fit the smaller-butt pistols; in fact, I use a P30 15 round magazine as my spare carry mag for the USPc.

Be aware that the HK45 Compact is, excepting overall length, the same size as the P2000 or USPc. In fact, the P2000 and P30 will fit nicely in any holster made for the HK45C (USPc does NOT fit, due to the larger, one-sided slide lock lever and non-tapered slide). With a flat magazine floorplate, the HK45C conceals just as well as the other two pistols. While I bought the 10 rounders for the day when we're back to a national 10 round limit, I'll probably just carry the HK45C… because, big bullet.

Anyway… lots of further details if you are interested. We (my bride and I) have a ton of HK pistols and magazines (and each of us carries one daily), so I can provide you some pix of the many variations available, once you decide which pistol to get.

One other thing… the HK45 full size is a BIG pistol, with a large, fabulously ergonomic grip. Great shooter, not so great for concealed carry unless you are a big man who can dress around it.

SkiDevil
05-13-2016, 09:36 AM
I own and use both the HK USP Compact and P2000 series pistols in 9mm. I use both the standard and 10 round versions of the magazines. I've noticed absolutely no difference in the reliability between the two after shooting several thousand rounds.

HK magazines are part of the reason their pistols are soo reliable.

chl442
05-13-2016, 09:57 AM
No problems with the HK 10 rounders. I have them in both .40 and 9mm, have shot them in both the P2000 and USP Compact in both calibers. These are the same overall size as the larger capacity P2000/USPc mags; the P30 10 rounders are longer to fit the longer butt of that pistol. I have not seen or used them, but I have no doubt they are every bit as solid as the other HK metal magazines. They will fit the smaller-butt pistols; in fact, I use a P30 15 round magazine as my spare carry mag for the USPc.

Be aware that the HK45 Compact is, excepting overall length, the same size as the P2000 or USPc. In fact, the P2000 and P30 will fit nicely in any holster made for the HK45C (USPc does NOT fit, due to the larger, one-sided slide lock lever and non-tapered slide). With a flat magazine floorplate, the HK45C conceals just as well as the other two pistols. While I bought the 10 rounders for the day when we're back to a national 10 round limit, I'll probably just carry the HK45C… because, big bullet.

Anyway… lots of further details if you are interested. We (my bride and I) have a ton of HK pistols and magazines (and each of us carries one daily), so I can provide you some pix of the many variations available, once you decide which pistol to get.

One other thing… the HK45 full size is a BIG pistol, with a large, fabulously ergonomic grip. Great shooter, not so great for concealed carry unless you are a big man who can dress around it.

An HK45C LEM with two spare 10 rounders on the belt loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P and a s&w 642 in my left front pocket is my post AWB plan. If I got to the point my hands and wrists no longer allowed me to shoot the 45C effectively, I would have zero problems with a P2000 and 10 round mags.
I want a mid to full size gun for a primary pistol whenever possible.

SteveB
05-13-2016, 10:13 AM

I mostly carry a 9mm P2000 AIWB with a 10-round P30 mag as a reload.

LSP972
05-13-2016, 12:22 PM
An HK45C LEM with two spare 10 rounders on the belt loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P and a s&w 642 in my left front pocket ...

Great minds think alike, although I tote only one "spare" 10 rounder, with a sanded-down elephant foot baseplate… and my J frame is a 360PD. Otherwise, same package. I have been, lately, carrying a USPc Euro-Pellet with a 15 round P30 mag, but am ready to go back to the HK45C at any time.

Ditto the .45 recoil working on me… but I reload, and have a nifty lighter load- still with a 230gr ball bullet- that is a pleasure to shoot and not worrisome. Of course, those +P HSTs are definitely worrisome… but very infrequently fired, and we'll never note the difference if the flag is up.

TGS
05-13-2016, 05:49 PM
I've had no problems with HK 10 round P2000 mags with one exception:

- The locking tabs molded into the baseplate will break if you drop them repeatedly onto hard surface, such as concrete.

They haven't been a problem dropping them onto packed dirt, grass, carpeted hard surfaces, or gravel. These are hard plastic baseplate assemblies compared to the soft plastic/rubbery ones on standard mags....I'm not sure if the design/materials have changed in the last decade to remedy this.

chl442
05-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Great minds think alike, although I tote only one "spare" 10 rounder, with a sanded-down elephant foot baseplate… and my J frame is a 360PD. Otherwise, same package. I have been, lately, carrying a USPc Euro-Pellet with a 15 round P30 mag, but am ready to go back to the HK45C at any time.

Ditto the .45 recoil working on me… but I reload, and have a nifty lighter load- still with a 230gr ball bullet- that is a pleasure to shoot and not worrisome. Of course, those +P HSTs are definitely worrisome… but very infrequently fired, and we'll never note the difference if the flag is up.

I did some work with my HK45C today. I'm getting used to the recoil impulse of the HST 230+P (shot a 275 on a Vickers 300 with it using that load) and put 100 rounds of standard pressure 230 grain Hardball thru it. The HK45C definitely has potential I just need to put in the work. I shot a 290 on the 300 with my repaired P2000 and it ran like a sewing machine with a new recoil spring. The HK'S continue to amaze me.

newyork
05-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Would you say the 45c has a comfortable recoil impulse with standard plinking ball ammo?
Far more than the P2000 in 9mm I'd imagine or no?

chl442
05-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Would you say the 45c has a comfortable recoil impulse with standard plinking ball ammo?
Far more than the P2000 in 9mm I'd imagine or no?

It's a comfortable impulse to me even with the plus p, obviously the standard pressure is better .
I find that the gun has more muzzle rise compared to my P2000's loaded with Federal HST 147 standard pressure ammo. My shot to shot recovery time is slower. I can live with it long enough to get through a reasonable practice session. I've run enough 230 +P HST thru my 45C to know where POA/POI is with the stock sights and will probably only shoot it now once a year when I replace carry ammo.
It certainly isn't the snappy recoil impulse I've experienced with pistols like Glock 23s that would give my carpal tunnel fits!
If you found the 230+P to be a bit much there's always the standard pressure 230 HST out there.
Hope that answers your question.
Chris

chl442
05-13-2016, 06:37 PM
I've had no problems with HK 10 round P2000 mags with one exception:

- The locking tabs molded into the baseplate will break if you drop them repeatedly onto hard surface, such as concrete.

They haven't been a problem dropping them onto packed dirt, grass, carpeted hard surfaces, or gravel. These are hard plastic baseplate assemblies compared to the soft plastic/rubbery ones on standard mags....I'm not sure if the design/materials have changed in the last decade to remedy this.

The way I try to mitigate some of this is by having range mags and carry mags . I carefully inspect newly purchased mags very much like Jody H has described in previous posts and I have a large quantity of both types of mags. Once I vett my carry mags as being reliable I leave 4 loaded and leave them alone.
Once per year I shoot out that carry ammo, and load a different set of carry mags. I drop my range mags on all types of ground and cement. I'm using the flat plastic base plates on my P2000 mags and haven't seen any issues yet in 9 months of use. We did alot of in-battery speed reloads during the recent HITS First Responder class on a concrete range and I was suprised at how well the mags held up.
Time will tell how long the flat baseplates last on this set.

TGS
05-13-2016, 06:45 PM
My comment was pertaining to the 10 round P2000 mags.

I've never read of (or experienced myself) problems with any of the standard baseplates, to include the flat ones. Those don't have the little plastic tabs that lock into the side of the mag body like the 10 rounders, so there's no problem.

abu fitna
05-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Only HK mags i ever broke were 10 rd P2000 type. Impact damage from dropping.

No issues with standard or with flat baseplates on full size. I dont think it is material but rather where stress rides from metal to plastic. But that is just a guess.

chl442
05-13-2016, 06:58 PM
My comment was pertaining to the 10 round P2000 mags.

I've never read of (or experienced myself) problems with any of the standard baseplates, to include the flat ones. Those don't have the little plastic tabs that lock into the side of the mag body like the 10 rounders, so there's no problem.

OK I see what your talking about now I looked at the parts and saw the difference. I've got some 10 rounders that came with a V1 LEM P2000 I converted that have the "pinky extension" do you feel as though leaving the pinky extension on would absorb some of the impact and minimize the risk of that problem occurring ? I don't really like the mags in that configuration but I could live with them if it minimizes the risk on the 10 round mags of having that problem.

TGS
05-13-2016, 07:18 PM
OK I see what your talking about now I looked at the parts and saw the difference. I've got some 10 rounders that came with a V1 LEM P2000 I converted that have the "pinky extension" do you feel as though leaving the pinky extension on would absorb some of the impact and minimize the risk of that problem occurring ? I don't really like the mags in that configuration but I could live with them if it minimizes the risk on the 10 round mags of having that problem.

I think the 10 round P2000 mags can only use the pinky extension, actually. So all the breakages occur with them. I believe it's a pretty widely reported and accepted condition with the 10 rounders over on HKPro.

I bought 5 for $14 a piece when I first got my P2000. I figured that was a stellar deal for extra practice mags when 13 rounders were going for $39 a piece. Broke two within one week at an indoor range. I've kept the other 3 as range mags and just don't drop them on hard concrete, no problems. Protip: If this happens to anyone, make lemonade out of lemons. Glue the baseplate back onto the mag body, but leave the mag body empty with no spring for follower. Use it as a dry fire mag so you can practice with a little extra insurance that no live ammo can be introduced into the weapon.

(that's what I do, at least :) )

chl442
05-13-2016, 07:25 PM
I think the 10 round P2000 mags can only use the pinky extension, actually. So all the breakages occur with them. I believe it's a pretty widely reported and accepted condition with the 10 rounders over on HKPro.

I bought 5 for $14 a piece when I first got my P2000. I figured that was a stellar deal for extra practice mags when 13 rounders were going for $39 a piece. Broke two within one week at an indoor range. I've kept the other 3 as range mags and just don't drop them on hard concrete, no problems. Protip: If this happens to anyone, make lemonade out of lemons. Glue the baseplate back onto the mag body, but leave the mag body empty with no spring for follower. Use it as a dry fire mag so you can practice with a little extra insurance that no live ammo can be introduced into the weapon.

OK thanks TGS
I guess if we end up regulated to 10 round mags, then the P2000 10 rounders will definitely have to be treated with more care .

newyork
05-13-2016, 07:41 PM
Sounds like hk45 or 45c for me

chl442
05-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Sounds like hk45 or 45c for me

Reading my mind.

newyork
05-14-2016, 05:30 AM

Is this also the case for 10rd P30/VP9 mags or just uspc/P2000 mags?

LSP972
05-14-2016, 06:18 AM
I think the 10 round P2000 mags can only use the pinky extension, actually.

You can find them with flat floorplates too; I have one for .357 Sig, and I've seen them for both 9mm and .40.

newyork
05-14-2016, 06:23 AM
You can find them with flat floorplates too; I have one for .357 Sig, and I've seen them for both 9mm and .40.

And this makes them more durable and less apt to breakage if dropped?

LSP972
05-14-2016, 01:54 PM
And this makes them more durable and less apt to breakage if dropped?

Probably not, although I couldn't say for sure. I shot them a few times, to make sure they were reliable, and then put them up. IOW, very little experience with them.

HCM
05-14-2016, 07:02 PM

I have a couple in 40 from the AWB era.

newyork
05-15-2016, 10:30 AM
I have to wonder how Sig and Beretta neutered mags are too. That PX4 compact looks great as does the P228/9

chl442
05-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Looking at the P30SK magazines, I don't think they suffer the same design flaw as the P2000 10 rounders . I'm not the biggest fan of the subcompact 9mms but when I had an opportunity to look at Nyeti's P30SK LEM, it seemed quite capable . Seems like there's some pinky extensions coming out on the market that look rather durable too. Might be an option for a 10 round 9mm.

newyork
05-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I get that. I don't think there's an issue with the mags that are supposed to be and are designed for 10 rds. I think it's the mags that are for guns that normally hold more but are neutered by the company for ban states. It seems the best way to go is a gun that normally holds 10 or less which is tough when looking for a jack of all trades type gun.
Hk45c, usp45c, P225, P239 come to mind.

chl442
05-15-2016, 02:05 PM
I get that. I don't think there's an issue with the mags that are supposed to be and are designed for 10 rds. I think it's the mags that are for guns that normally hold more but are neutered by the company for ban states. It seems the best way to go is a gun that normally holds 10 or less which is tough when looking for a jack of all trades type gun.
Hk45c, usp45c, P225, P239 come to mind.

I'm coming to the conclusion that a gun designed from the beginning to hold 10 rounds or less solves a good number of headaches. For a ban state gun I really like my 45C. I would like to have a viable alternative in 9mm that doesn't have a magazine design flaw. I'm still going to purchase a few more 10 round P2000 mags to run hard, especially if I can come across some for cheap. I'd love to find a solution for 10 round P2000 mags that would make them as durable as the full capacity counterparts.

newyork
05-15-2016, 02:12 PM
I've got my eye on the Sig P239 for this purpose too. 8rds of 9mm. That or the hk45c. If neutered...P229 or P2000. Then the decision of dasa or lem if I went HK. (Pulls hair out)

chl442
05-15-2016, 02:37 PM
I've got my eye on the Sig P239 for this purpose too. 8rds of 9mm. That or the hk45c. If neutered...P229 or P2000. Then the decision of dasa or lem if I went HK. (Pulls hair out)

It may take you awhile to find an HK with a LEM trigger to try out. I had to drive over 50 miles to a store that had one in stock (it was a P30 w/ light LEM and I wanted a P2000) but it at least gave me an idea of what the trigger was actually like after only being able to read threads here and watch youtube videos.
Hopefully you get the opportunity to try both the DA/SA and LEM HK'S.
Good luck

newyork
05-15-2016, 02:45 PM
I've owned light lem in 2 hk45 full size and a briefly owned p30. I like it a lot. I just have this idea in my head and I'm curious about dasa since it's been so long

chl442
05-15-2016, 03:00 PM
I've owned light lem in 2 hk45 full size and a briefly owned p30. I like it a lot. I just have this idea in my head and I'm curious about dasa since it's been so long

Nothing wrong with that. Had the LEM not worked out for me I had my mind made up I was going to try a Beretta 92 G as I've always liked the DA/SA triggers on those guns. My years with Glocks just guided me towards the LEM trigger. One consistent trigger pull and a Hammer and no worry of having to decock.

newyork
05-15-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm hearing sig 10rd mags work 100%

I shot and trained with Glocks for a few years and just gave up. If I stopped practicing for a brief time I sucked immediately. With a new baby, I have no practice time and always liked hk and Sig anyway