PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10-22 help

Ga Shooter
10-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Believe it or not I do not own a Ruger 10/22 (I am sure that is a sin) but now having confessed my sin I need to turn from my wicked ways and purchase one for propper atonement.:D I have lookled at several forum and found wuite a few but some of them say that theirs are older models. What do I need to know? Are they all the same as far as parts interchange, available upgrade. etc? Do I need to stay a way from certani models? I know nothing about the lineage of the 10/22.

Thanks,

Ga Shooter

Al T.
10-29-2011, 07:40 AM
I think the older ones are better. Look for a metal trigger guard IIRC. Used is fine.

What are you going to use it for? My S&W M&P15-22 has kept the 10-22 locked up in the safe. :p

NickA
10-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't remember exactly what they are, but my gunsmith buddy recently told me that some internal parts have also been changed (maybe to plastic?). The last few times he's tried to install target sears and triggers he was not able to get a good trigger pull because of the new parts. I think metal trigger guard and butt plate do indicate the older models, but definitely google all this to confirm.
At any rate don't let any of this deter you, 10/22's are great and there's literally nothing that can't be replaced or upgraded. If you were so inclined you could actually build one with no parts from Ruger.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ga Shooter
10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys. I will be using it for plinking, teaching the kids, want to put a can on it, and pest control. Will make sure about the plastic stuff I don't want a plastic trigger housing unless it is a Glock:D.

peterb
10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Ruger's argument for the polymer trigger guard: http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html?vidID=007005

Simon
10-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't remember exactly what they are, but my gunsmith buddy recently told me that some internal parts have also been changed (maybe to plastic?). The last few times he's tried to install target sears and triggers he was not able to get a good trigger pull because of the new parts. I think metal trigger guard and butt plate do indicate the older models, but definitely google all this to confirm.
At any rate don't let any of this deter you, 10/22's are great and there's literally nothing that can't be replaced or upgraded. If you were so inclined you could actually build one with no parts from Ruger.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The last I knew, Ruger doesn,t sell receivers. How ever receivers are available from other sources. There are lots of old style trigger groups, barrels,bolts, stocks etc. available on the web.

John Hearne
10-29-2011, 08:36 PM
If you're wed to the 10/22 then adding the Tech Sights are well worth it. I also have the Volquartsen trigger group in mine and it make a very nice, accurate, and shootable rifle.

If you haven't bought a 10/22 yet, I'd seriously consider the S&W 15/22. The stock will be adjustable and accommodate some very young shooters. The manual of arms is identical to an AR and mine is scary accurate.