PDA

View Full Version : HK fan boys -- priority alert

GJM
05-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Just Released and In Stock Now!
HK VP9 LE chambered in 9mm, striker fired system, Flat Dark Earth polymer frame, Night Sights, 3 magazines, picatinny rail, 15RD +1 capacity, polygonal hammer forged barrel, ambidextrous controls, changeable grip backstraps and side panels, made in Germany. $649.95

http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-vp9-fde-le-9mm-striker-fired-tritium-night-sights-3-mags.html

YVK
05-11-2016, 09:57 PM
HK with their superior engineering could've thought it through and include matching color mag base plates.

Fail.

Dagga Boy
05-11-2016, 10:09 PM
HK with their superior engineering could've thought it through and include matching color mag base plates.

Fail.

I have some funny stories about HK and colors......they are VERY serious about colors.

GJM
05-11-2016, 10:13 PM
I have some funny stories about HK and colors......they are VERY serious about colors.

I will bite, let's hear them!

1slow
05-11-2016, 11:26 PM
What about the merconium (baby poo) color HK45C. GAG !
The HK45 Tan and OD are OK.

dano1200r
05-12-2016, 05:28 AM
For handgun of the year when it came out, who gives a rats ass if the baseplate is black.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

YVK
05-12-2016, 07:52 AM
I missed that event. When and for what specific performance did it receive an Oscar?

Chance
05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
I actually think the base plates look kind of cool like that. I still look for the that extra figure anytime I see the price, though.

Beat Trash
05-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I think the color would look even cooler if it were on a VP9c or a VP9sk...

Peally
05-12-2016, 10:33 AM
I want to find the guy that made boring ass brown FDE popular and beat him.

Stephanie B
05-12-2016, 10:54 AM
If I go to the NRA Convention, look for me wearing this:

:D

Hambo
05-12-2016, 11:17 AM

Ze Germans are serious about everything.

JonInWA
05-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the FDE is a nice option. I'd be a tad more impressed if I was aware that HK had a specific contract for a specific organization for said VP9 in said FDE. Good as the VPs are, I'm skeptical of the odds of any significant real-world unit/organization actually adopting and issuing them (as opposed to authorizing for individual use perhaps) due to the relative complexity and what I presume to be the additional times needed for an armorer to detail assemble and reassemble. And for most users/operators, I'm a-thinking that detailed disassembly simply isn't gonna happen, even in a workshop with a detailed diasassembly/reassembly manual.

So-I'm thinking that the FDE variant is more a marketing approach than a response to an actual defined need/contract from organizations in a a FDE-appropriate environment.

I'd like to be proved wrong on this-so have at it, if anyone has some real intel on it.

And I'm not saying that the FDE frames are a bad thing per se, but I think most everyone gets my drift here.

Best, Jon

gtmtnbiker98
05-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Yeah, the FDE is a nice option. I'd be a tad more impressed if I was aware that HK had a specific contract for a specific organization for said VP9 in said FDE. Good as the VPs are, I'm skeptical of the odds of any significant real-world unit/organization actually adopting and issuing them (as opposed to authorizing for individual use perhaps) due to the relative complexity and what I presume to be the additional times needed for an armorer to detail assemble and reassemble. And for most users/operators, I'm a-thinking that detailed disassembly simply isn't gonna happen, even in a workshop with a detailed diasassembly/reassembly manual.

So-I'm thinking that the FDE variant is more a marketing approach than a response to an actual defined need/contract from organizations in a a FDE-appropriate environment.

I'd like to be proved wrong on this-so have at it, if anyone has some real intel on it.

And I'm not saying that the FDE frames are a bad thing per se, but I think most everyone gets my drift here.

Best, Jon
What does it matter? It's just a color.

HCM
05-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Best, Jon

It's not like Delta Force ever issued Colt Delta Elites unit wide. Marketing is a thing.

HCM
05-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I want to find the guy that made boring ass brown FDE popular and beat him.

Don't worry, they are still available in "scorched earth" aka black.

JonInWA
05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
It's not like Delta Force ever issued Colt Delta Elites unit wide. Marketing is a thing.

No, But I do believe that there are some Tier One units that have for example, issued Glocks in FDE/Olive, as well as some foreign military/LEO units. And despite their reputed limited issue/utility, the Marines have the Colt M45. I'm unsure if there are any Czech units actually issued/using the FDE PO9.

My point is simply this: HK seems to market themselves as a hard-core, military/LEO oriented manufacturer, seemingly with the civilian market as an offshoot to such. It's at least an endorsement of some value (even if the actual user utility/relevance is questionable) if, say, a VP9 in FDE was in fact made for a military/LEO contract-or, conversely, if it's just a cute marketing ploy catering to those who value a differing frame color to match their apparel color choices of the day.

While changing a frame color in a polymer frame isn't really all that difficult or resource-intensive-simply using different dyes during the manufacturing/molding process-my inference is that I'd rather HK spend their time and resources on more engineering-oriented projects that would seemingly be more in line with their mission statement and market orientation-unless, of course, they really do have a viable contract order (or a contract that they're actually actively pursuing/soliciting).

But that may well be just me. And I'm sure mall ninjas world-wide may well be queuing up to snap up one of these FDE gems. And I'm not saying, or inferring, that there isn't a valid niche for FDE frames for some of us. But color me (every pun intended) a tad skeptical on this one, at least on its face.

Best, Jon

Dagga Boy
05-12-2016, 02:01 PM
If I go to the NRA Convention, look for me wearing this:

:D

Called them lately? May want to check a few other gun companies for the new customer service crown of hate. Start with the "you're limp wristing" one who had a rep file an IA on a PD armorer for uncovering numerous issues. That would be a bit more current.

Peally
05-12-2016, 02:09 PM
HK CS is fine, but it's still fun to make fun of ;)

GJM
05-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Called them lately? May want to check a few other gun companies for the new customer service crown of hate. Start with the "you're limp wristing" one who had a rep file an IA on a PD armorer for uncovering numerous issues. That would be a bit more current.

HK CS is fine, but it's still fun to make fun of ;)

Darryl just got trolled.

HK CS is my favorite of any major that I don't have a personal friendship in place with.

HCM
05-12-2016, 03:10 PM
No, But I do believe that there are some Tier One units that have for example, issued Glocks in FDE/Olive, as well as some foreign military/LEO units. And despite their reputed limited issue/utility, the Marines have the Colt M45. I'm unsure if there are any Czech units actually issued/using the FDE PO9.

My point is simply this: HK seems to market themselves as a hard-core, military/LEO oriented manufacturer, seemingly with the civilian market as an offshoot to such. It's at least an endorsement of some value (even if the actual user utility/relevance is questionable) if, say, a VP9 in FDE was in fact made for a military/LEO contract-or, conversely, if it's just a cute marketing ploy catering to those who value a differing frame color to match their apparel color choices of the day.

While changing a frame color in a polymer frame isn't really all that difficult or resource-intensive-simply using different dyes during the manufacturing/molding process-my inference is that I'd rather HK spend their time and resources on more engineering-oriented projects that would seemingly be more in line with their mission statement and market orientation-unless, of course, they really do have a viable contract order (or a contract that they're actually actively pursuing/soliciting).

But that may well be just me. And I'm sure mall ninjas world-wide may well be queuing up to snap up one of these FDE gems. And I'm not saying, or inferring, that there isn't a valid niche for FDE frames for some of us. But color me (every pun intended) a tad skeptical on this one, at least on its face.

Best, Jon

You want engineering development ? It takes Money. No Bucks, No Buck Rodgers.

HK only submitted for one of the three large scale U.S. federal handgun trials going on right now.

Maybe HK has finally had a "moment of clarity" and realized there is real money in the Cake eating civilian market.

JonInWA
05-12-2016, 03:16 PM
You want engineering development ? It takes Money. No Bucks, No Buck Rodgers.

HK only submitted for one of the three large scale U.S. federal handgun trials going on right now.

Maybe HK has finally had a "moment of clarity" and realized there is real money in the Cake eating civilian market.

Hmmm...FDE frame with a PVD coated/titanium rainbow/oil slick slide....That might keep the SIG marketing department up for several nights.....

Best, Jon

LSP972
05-12-2016, 03:45 PM
It's at least an endorsement of some value (even if the actual user utility/relevance is questionable) if, say, a VP9 in FDE was in fact made for a military/LEO contract-or, conversely, if it's just a cute marketing ploy catering to those who value a differing frame color to match their apparel color choices of the day.

Answer "B". FDE/desert tan/etc. is popular, whatever the reason or origin. HK is just trying to increase sales, is my bet. A good example is the HKPro "special edition" group buy HK45 Compact in what they refer to (and the the VP9 is this as well, I believe) as RAL8000, or some such. RAL8000 is supposedly a NATO color chip number, IIRC. I really don't know, and I really don't care. When these were offered a few years back, I ordered one; I wish I had ordered two, because the price was terrific and it was different from your basic black. I have carried mine quite a bit, and that light-colored frame actually serves a purpose; when I wear one of my light-colored silk Hawaiian-style shirts during the miserable summers down here, it doesn't "show" through the material like a black frame would- IWB carry, of course.

Plus, it is a break, if you will, from the same old black-tactical-kill man pistol; plus, it came with trits and a third magazine, all for less than MSRP of a standard black one. I like it. And you get used to the color, which is indeed pretty close to baby-poop brown.

So I guess that would make me a mall ninja, eh? And for that matter, why does a different-from-the-rest pistol need a "valid niche"???

okie john
05-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Best, Jon

If the FDE VP9 signals HK's departure from being their hardcore .mil focus, then maybe they're starting to think about building a VP9c or VP9k. And both of those would be Very Good Things.

Okie John

LSP972
05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Here's the other side:

JonInWA
05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Answer "B". FDE/desert tan/etc. is popular, whatever the reason or origin. HK is just trying to increase sales, is my bet. A good example is the HKPro "special edition" group buy HK45 Compact in what they refer to (and the the VP9 is this as well, I believe) as RAL8000, or some such. RAL8000 is supposedly a NATO color chip number, IIRC. I really don't know, and I really don't care. When these were offered a few years back, I ordered one; I wish I had ordered two, because the price was terrific and it was different from your basic black. I have carried mine quite a bit, and that light-colored frame actually serves a purpose; when I wear one of my light-colored silk Hawaiian-style shirts during the miserable summers down here, it doesn't "show" through the material like a black frame would- IWB carry, of course.

Plus, it is a break, if you will, from the same old black-tactical-kill man pistol; plus, it came with trits and a third magazine, all for less than MSRP of a standard black one. I like it. And you get used to the color, which is indeed pretty close to baby-poop brown.

So I guess that would make me a mall ninja, eh? And for that matter, why does a different-from-the-rest pistol need a "valid niche"???

You know, that "not showing through the light-colored Hawaiian shirt" makes a certain amount of sense. I hate it when someone actually comes up with a valid counterpoint to my acknowledged snarkiness. Next we'll have to carefully examine your mall ninja creds, or the lack thereof.....

Best, Jon

LSP972
05-12-2016, 04:51 PM
;)

SecondsCount
05-12-2016, 05:01 PM
The nice part about FDE is that it stays cooler when subjected to the western sun ;) :p :rolleyes:

I really would like a P30 in OD. At one time I had a G19 in OD and let it go, and kind of regret it because I always liked the look.

NCmtnman
05-12-2016, 07:37 PM
My wish was that this gun would take an X300 or TLR-1 and or be rated for 45 Super for a woods gun. Mostly the light is what I care about. Superb choice. Glad to see that yours gets carried.

LSP972
05-12-2016, 08:00 PM
My wish was that this gun would take a... TLR-1. Mostly the light is what I care about.

Ah, but it does. You just have to:

1. Find an older TLR-1;

2. Modify it a bit.

Details in following posts.

LSP972
05-12-2016, 08:05 PM
The older versions of this WML (both of the ones pictured here were purchased right after the "C4 bin" LEDS came out, so they are plenty bright) had extra space behind the cross bolt that you can fit a rail key into. The newer ones I have seen did not have this space. Good old American cutting corners...:rolleyes:

Here is one with the rail key in the front position, as is intended for most pistols. You can see the identical rail key space behind the cross bolt.

LSP972
05-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Here is the other one, modified with the rail key to the rear of the cross bolt, that fits the short rail on the HK45C. Problem here is, there is no 6/32 securing bolt to hold the key in place, as there is on the front space. So I just JB Welded that puppy in there; works like a champ. You might have to shave a wee bit off of the face of the rocker switch, to clear the front surface of the trigger guard. I did. But definitely use the 1913 rail key, because that is what the pistol's rail is.

Robert Mitchum
05-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Just put the Apex polymer trigger on my FDE M&P 45
The FDE does make it group a little better at 25 yards :)
Plus it makes a pistol work after being submerged in water.

GJM
05-13-2016, 12:12 AM
Hey, mods can you delete this photo -- it is so wrong to have an FDE M&P polluting an HK thread. :)

Hambo
05-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Hey, mods can you delete this photo -- it is so wrong to have an FDE M&P polluting an HK thread. :)

This is why I took the HK shirt to be an HK owner thing, not an HK CS thing. Maybe if it said, "Because your M&P/Beretta/Glock sucks, and we hate you." ;)

TAZ
05-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Colors. Seriously. Colors. Who gives a rats ass about colors. You can change the color of your gun on a daily basis with some rattle cans. Give me a VP9SK that will run VP9 mags and/or give me a VP9 ready made for a MRDS. Wouldn't care if these bright pink with yellow polka dots. I'd buy it and rattle can that thing baby poo whatever.

JTQ
05-13-2016, 06:39 PM
... that light-colored frame actually serves a purpose; when I wear one of my light-colored silk Hawaiian-style shirts during the miserable summers down here, it doesn't "show" through the material like a black frame would- IWB carry, of course.

JonInWA wrote,
You know, that "not showing through the light-colored Hawaiian shirt" makes a certain amount of sense. I hate it when someone actually comes up with a valid counterpoint to my acknowledged snarkiness.
That is a good point. I've thought about the color thing with holsters recently. Thirty years ago, living up north with all my pants typically dark blue or black, black holsters (especially OWB) and belts were a no brainer. However, now living in Florida, where I wear a lot of light colored shirts and khaki pants, I've begun to see a rational for tan/natural belts and holsters.

Chaswick
05-13-2016, 10:13 PM
HCM,

Which trial are they participating in?

GJM
05-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Just finished dinner with the Area one group, including the President and Vice President of the PF HK fan club, YVK and Talionis.

Since I plan to be back in Alaska later next week and carrying my USP, could who ever is in charge at PF, please enroll me in all the HK threads, and reinstate my membership in the HK fan club.

HCM
05-14-2016, 12:47 AM
HCM,

Which trial are they participating in?

I believe the DHS / ICE.

The FBI mandated push button mag releases and no finger grooves so that exclude the VP9.

CDFIII
05-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Mall ninja status achieved����

NCmtnman
05-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Ah, but it does. You just have to:

1. Find an older TLR-1;

2. Modify it a bit.

Details in following posts.

Yeah, I know you can do that but it would be nice to have an off the shelf model that didn't require tooling to fit. I mean, this is HK, not some 1911 that I'm interested in toying with just to get it to function. Wait, I had to do that with my Glock 19. Is the world coming to this?!

HCM
05-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Mall ninja status achieved����

Does this mean the scorched earth ones will be cheaper now?

Sherman A. House DDS
05-14-2016, 07:13 PM
I guess I'm deranged, but I like HK too. The USP .45 is a swell piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corse
05-14-2016, 11:56 PM
You know, that "not showing through the light-colored Hawaiian shirt" makes a certain amount of sense. I hate it when someone actually comes up with a valid counterpoint to my acknowledged snarkiness. Next we'll have to carefully examine your mall ninja creds, or the lack thereof.....

Best, Jon

They need to bring back the urban grey color. That would be the best for cc I think.