PDA

View Full Version : Which gun to use for training classes?

martin_j001
05-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Tried to search, but didn't come up with a whole lot...

When you take a training class, how do you choose which gun you'll use? I'm taking Frank Proctors Performance Pistol class in June, and wondering if I should use my Glock 34 that I compete with (once a month matches) and sometimes carry, or my Glock 19 that I am carrying more often these days. In my own mind, I'd choose to use the firearm/equipment that matches the style/type of training. For those who have taken this class before, what would be your thoughts of firearm/gear choice in this particular case--competition setup with Glock 34, concealed carry setup with Glock 34, concealed setup with Glock 19?

Peally
05-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Depends on what you're going to learn and what your ultimate shooting focus is.

My choice is easy personally, I carry/compete with the same crap ;)

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2016, 10:53 AM
I use the same gun I carry, and take a backup of the same type in case it poos the bed. So, P226 and a P229 in reserve.

rob_s
05-10-2016, 12:34 PM
For competition classes I'd use my competition gun, and for self-defense classes I'd use my carry gun.

Seems pretty straightforward.

martin_j001
05-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Depends on what you're going to learn and what your ultimate shooting focus is.

My choice is easy personally, I carry/compete with the same crap ;)

That does make the decision an easy one. :)

I use the same gun I carry, and take a backup of the same type in case it poos the bed. So, P226 and a P229 in reserve.

One of the reasons I have these two options...for the most part, ones parts can be used in the other, and if that won't work, it's easy enough to switch back and forth.

For competition classes I'd use my competition gun, and for self-defense classes I'd use my carry gun.

Seems pretty straightforward.

I am in agreement, and for classes in which the style of training is very clear it should be straightforward. IMO, and from what I've witnessed by watching his videos, this class could fit either bill well. At the moment, I'm leaning towards my 34, as I find it more comfortable to carry and more fun to shoot. Just wanted to solicit opinions from others though, and maybe some who have taken this class...

HopetonBrown
05-10-2016, 02:03 PM
No difference between a 19 or 34 in my opinion. He covers stuff like sight tracking, calling shots, the draw, etc. It's applicable to any firearm. You'll shoot around 1,000 rounds over 2 days, so I wouldn't go smaller than a 19. I shot a 1911 on day 1, and a 17 on day 2.

martin_j001
05-11-2016, 04:52 AM
No difference between a 19 or 34 in my opinion. He covers stuff like sight tracking, calling shots, the draw, etc. It's applicable to any firearm. You'll shoot around 1,000 rounds over 2 days, so I wouldn't go smaller than a 19. I shot a 1911 on day 1, and a 17 on day 2.

Thanks for the info! I'm in the one day course, and it still says to have at least 600 rounds--definitely a lot of shooting. I'm leaning towards the 34 at the moment, as I both carry and compete with it.

BN
05-11-2016, 05:28 AM
I would use the pistol that is easier to shoot. You are there to learn, not to do an endurance test on your carry equipment. If you start to fatigue earlier with the smaller pistol, then learning will suffer.

Kennydale
05-11-2016, 05:33 AM
Depends on what your training for. Me, i'd want some real world training so I'd use what I carry 95% of the time.

martin_j001
05-11-2016, 06:02 AM
I would use the pistol that is easier to shoot. You are there to learn, not to do an endurance test on your carry equipment. If you start to fatigue earlier with the smaller pistol, then learning will suffer.

I thought of that too. Between the 19 and 34 I don't notice a ton of difference, but I don't think I've put 600 rounds through either in a day before either.

Depends on what your training for. Me, i'd want some real world training so I'd use what I carry 95% of the time.

I waffle back and forth between what to carry. I know the 19 is a great gun, but I prefer the larger grip of the 17/34, and don't find the added length to be too much of an issue. And on my frame, I don't think one conceals that much better than the other for carry either.

Pennzoil
05-11-2016, 06:12 AM
This sounds like the class I took from Proctor a year or two ago.

I'd recommend the Glock 34 and going with a competition style gear setup. Also when I took the class it also stated at least 600 rounds and my total round count was close to 900rds for the day. So I'd recommend bringing extra ammo and magazines just incase.

Gray222
05-11-2016, 06:46 AM
Bring what you carry. No reason to do anything else.

Josh Runkle
05-11-2016, 08:14 AM
I'd bring what I carry as well.

orionz06
05-11-2016, 08:26 AM
I'd use the 34 and only because it will potentially spare a pinch from the mag. Otherwise they're essentially the same.

My rule of thumb is to use the tools I'm taking the class for. If this is not obvious then the reason for the class needs to be considered.

If the class is just for the fuck of it, because shooting is fun and classes are fun, then use whatever. If it wasn't no one would do it.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

martin_j001
05-11-2016, 09:29 AM
This sounds like the class I took from Proctor a year or two ago.

I'd recommend the Glock 34 and going with a competition style gear setup. Also when I took the class it also stated at least 600 rounds and my total round count was close to 900rds for the day. So I'd recommend bringing extra ammo and magazines just incase.

Good stuff, thanks for the info. I will be sure to come prepared with enough ammo.

Bring what you carry. No reason to do anything else.

I'd bring what I carry as well.

I carry both at different times, otherwise my choice would be easier.

I'd use the 34 and only because it will potentially spare a pinch from the mag. Otherwise they're essentially the same.

My rule of thumb is to use the tools I'm taking the class for. If this is not obvious then the reason for the class needs to be considered.

If the class is just for the fuck of it, because shooting is fun and classes are fun, then use whatever. If it wasn't no one would do it.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

My impression is that this class will apply equally to both carry and competition. Good point on the pinch from the G19 reload though--definitely another aspect to consider.

orionz06
05-11-2016, 09:32 AM
My impression is that this class will apply equally to both carry and competition.

Learning to shoot well is learning to shoot well. People get too wrapped around the axle and ego invested and write off lots of classes for bullshit reasons. Everything I've heard indicates Frank's class is a good *shooting* class.

GJM
05-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Learning to shoot well is learning to shoot well. People get too wrapped around the axle and ego invested and write off lots of classes for bullshit reasons. Everything I've heard indicates Frank's class is a good *shooting* class.

I absolutely agree with your first sentence, reference learning to shoot. As to pinching, a 17 magazine will solve that problem. A 34 would be less fatiguing than a 19 to shoot in very high round count settings, as the 34 is one of the softest shooting 9mm pistols that exists. I have heard mixed reports on Frank's classes from multiple reliable sources -- both that he is a great guy, effective in small settings, but his large student open classes were terrible.

Pennzoil
05-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I have heard mixed reports on Frank's classes from multiple reliable sources -- both that he is a great guy, effective in small settings, but his large student open classes were terrible.

I would agree completely with this statement.

HopetonBrown
05-11-2016, 01:22 PM
effective in small settings, but his large student open classes were terrible.

If the class isn't run through Alias, then there's probably a better chance it won't be "accidentally overbooked". My class was through Alias, and had too many students.

Kennydale
05-11-2016, 03:39 PM
I thought of that too. Between the 19 and 34 I don't notice a ton of difference, but I don't think I've put 600 rounds through either in a day before either.

I waffle back and forth between what to carry. I know the 19 is a great gun, but I prefer the larger grip of the 17/34, and don't find the added length to be too much of an issue. And on my frame, I don't think one conceals that much better than the other for carry either.

I thought so too till I shot my trainers G17 in an NRA Marksmanship course. I now have been carrying my G17gen4 AIWB for ten months. I am retired and competitive shooting is not in my budget, but working with a private trainer 3-4 times a year is.

martin_j001
05-11-2016, 06:16 PM
I absolutely agree with your first sentence, reference learning to shoot. As to pinching, a 17 magazine will solve that problem. A 34 would be less fatiguing than a 19 to shoot in very high round count settings, as the 34 is one of the softest shooting 9mm pistols that exists. I have heard mixed reports on Frank's classes from multiple reliable sources -- both that he is a great guy, effective in small settings, but his large student open classes were terrible.

[/B]
I would agree completely with this statement.

If the class isn't run through Alias, then there's probably a better chance it won't be "accidentally overbooked". My class was through Alias, and had too many students.

I booked it through WOTG, not an outside group, so hopefully it is a positive experience overall.

JCS
05-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I thought so too till I shot my trainers G17 in an NRA Marksmanship course. I now have been carrying my G17gen4 AIWB for ten months. I am retired and competitive shooting is not in my budget, but working with a private trainer 3-4 times a year is.

Competitive shooting can be much cheaper than private trainers. It all depends on how much you do it. But $30 entry or so and a couple hundred rounds of ammo once a month would be cheaper than 4 times with private instruction. Obviously you get different things from them. Would be nice if we could afford to do it all!

Doublestack45
05-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Took his one day performance pistol course in 2012 at Sig Sauer in NH. 12 spots turned into 15 or 16 through Alias, but had a full day (9am-6:30 pm). Shot well over the 600 rounds suggested at signup doing additional laps on certain drills. He definetly pushed us to run the drills as many times as we could to reinforce the concepts.
Wanted to see how well I did with the 19 I carry daily, and brought two 19's and a 17 as a backup. The high round count really left me a much more confident shooter with the 19, which was my goal for the course. He's a super funny guy to be around too.

DocGKR
05-12-2016, 01:26 PM
I shot Proctor's 2 day LE handgun class (not through Alias) with a G19 RDS carried AIWB--no problems with the gear. As noted, Proctor is fun to shoot with and is probably most effective in one-on-one training or very small groups, rather than large classes.