PDA

View Full Version : Narrow, non-picatinny rail on 1911

ASH556
05-10-2016, 09:42 AM
A buddy asked me to help him move a Kimber TLE II 1911 that's had "a bunch of custom work done to it." Honestly, I'm not a 1911 guy, but my time behind a gun shop counter has be at least mildly familiar with them. As is usual with "custom work" there seems to be a bit of bubba happening here. Of most curiosity is a rail that has been added to the frame. However, it is much narrower than a picatinny rail and I can't imagine what it might be designed to fit. Buddy doesn't know either. Anyone familiar? I'll try to get pics later.

Other mods to the gun:
-Novaks night sights installed
-Beavertail safety de-activated (not pinned, it still moves, just the gun fires without depressing it).
-Swartz (spelling?) safety removed from the slide.
-Different bushing.

Thanks for any input on the rail, what it's supposed to be for, and if the other mods are good, bad, or ugly.

SLG
05-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a Dawson rail, but without pics, hard to say. It is for mounting a flashlight on a standard dustcover.

ASH556
05-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a Dawson rail, but without pics, hard to say. It is for mounting a flashlight on a standard dustcover.

Just googled a pic; yep that's it, thanks! But how the hell do you use it? Do they make adapters, because all the flashlights (Surefire X300, Streamlight TLR) are Picatinny.

L-2
05-10-2016, 10:25 AM
The Dawson rail used to be one of the "go to" methods for converting a 1911 for use with a Surefire weaponlight. I believe the rail and the Surefire adapters have since been discontinued. The rail was small enough to allow users to possibly use some existing holsters when the weaponlight was not mounted. The other method was a Surefire MR07 adapter.

Railed 1911s were not yet readily available and several folks already had an investment in a quality non-railed 1911 (or a few 1911s).

Since then, holsters and railed 1911s became more available.
Novak came out with an add-on Picatinny rail, which is still available:
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/1911-tactical-light-rail-prod27001.aspx

If I were to consider a Dawson-modified 1911, I'd consider the following:
-obtaining a Surefire rail adapter from somewhere;
-removing the Dawson rail, but some of these may be more or less permanently attached, perhaps the dustcover was threaded with screws attaching the rail or silver-soldering of the rail to the frame;
-comfortable with an obsolete rail and enjoy the gun as-is knowing it's an example of the history of the 1911.

Do a search on "DAWSON", "RAIL", & "1911" and there will be posts from the early 2000's discussing the rail.

BillSWPA
05-10-2016, 10:59 AM
I would be careful about selling a gun with not just one, but two safety devices deactivated. The grip safety on a 1911 serves an important purpose - I have seen a thumb safety unintentionally wiped off more than once. The Schwartz system has its critics, it serves an important purpose as well.

I would have a conversation with a lawyer admitted in your state to determine whether any liability may exist, and whether that liability could be minimized with an appropriate disclaimer and/or waiver. Better yet, the functioning of the safety devices should be restored before the gun is sold. If the purchaser prefers not to have them, then let the purchaser deactivate them and take the associated risks.

psalms144.1
05-11-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm a glass half empty guy myself, and there's no way I would touch or be involved with in any way, the sale of a 1911 that has had two safety systems intentionally deactivated. Sounds like Bubba took a working 1911 and turned it into an ND waiting to happen. Run, don't walk, away from that.

Jim Watson
05-11-2016, 08:43 AM
If it were sufficiently cheap and the frame had not been boogered up ("throated") I would consider it.
I bet Kimber would hurry to fix you up with a working grip safety and lawyer levers so they could not get mentioned in the same sentence as an unsafe gun.
Hard to argue against night sights, as long as they are fairly fresh.
The rail might not be useful but if you were not offended by the appearance, so what?

Repeat: If it were sufficiently cheap and the frame had not been boogered up ("throated")
And, will your buddy fix it or can he be sure of getting it to somebody with the right attitude to either replace the safeties or know how to get along without them?

L-2
05-11-2016, 09:11 AM
I've heard of "throating" a barrel, but what is throating a frame?

45dotACP
05-11-2016, 04:34 PM
I've heard of "throating" a barrel, but what is throating a frame?
Refers to hogging out the frame ramp with a dremel to "improve feeding" by removing the (very important) gap between barrel ramp and frame ramp.

farscott
05-11-2016, 05:53 PM
I have a Kimber Series II with the Dawson rail and a Surefire X200 that I purchased from another board member. The Surefire X200 with the Universal piece added fits the Dawson rail.