PDA

View Full Version : Glocks and HK's. Do they mix?

Lunker
05-09-2016, 09:55 PM
For a while now I have been practicing with my HK P30 V2. I have been getting better. Recently I replaced my Ruger LCR357 with a Glock 43 for ccw. And I have a Glock 17 bedside. I find that mainly shooting the P30 has caused me to shoot high with the G17 and G43 unless I go slowly and really take my time. I assume the infamous Glock grip angle is to blame. Am I pissing into the wind thinking I can be proficient (i.e. Fast and accurate) with both these platforms? Is it in my best interest to pick one and stick with it? I have 357 revolvers too and shoot them pretty well, but their shooting style is so different than semi-autos that I don't think I am having that "Glock Effect".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
05-09-2016, 10:11 PM
For a while now I have been practicing with my HK P30 V2. I have been getting better. Recently I replaced my Ruger LCR357 with a Glock 43 for ccw. And I have a Glock 17 bedside. I find that mainly shooting the P30 has caused me to shoot high with the G17 and G43 unless I go slowly and really take my time. I assume the infamous Glock grip angle is to blame. Am I pissing into the wind thinking I can be proficient (i.e. Fast and accurate) with both these platforms? Is it in my best interest to pick one and stick with it? I have 357 revolvers too and shoot them pretty well, but their shooting style is so different than semi-autos that I don't think I am having that "Glock Effect".

IMO yes. I think most people of moderate-slightly good skill would benefit from sticking with one platform. If you want to eventually make a shift, do it but don't train seriously with both. Just my opinion of course.

GJM
05-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Hope they mix, 'cause most HK guys are either cheating or considering cheating with their Glocks.

YVK
05-10-2016, 01:03 AM
LEM trigger control, especially V2, carries over well for shooting Glocks. Glock reloads easier. You can mimic Glock angle by using a large backstrap with its hump; for most people, the effect of pointing up is similar, although still less pronounced, to Glocks. HK is a little harder to track. Mag release it the biggest difference. That, and you also forget what Glock knuckle and slide bite are. I don't have a ton of problem going glocking after LEM. Going the other way around is another story, not for everyone. GJM still haven't figured out how to do that.

GJM
05-10-2016, 03:56 AM
YVK, you referring to a stock LEM trigger, or those LEM triggers you have? You know, your Gray Guns LEM triggers, soon to also have 4.1 part triggers, that are lighter and near shorter than an OEM Glock trigger, and where the trigger job costs more than a whole Glock.

Arbninftry
05-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Hope they mix, 'cause most HK guys are either cheating or considering cheating with their Glocks.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, and Make counter-accusations:cool:

Lunker
05-10-2016, 06:21 AM
Thanks YVK,
I will give that large backstrap a shot. I like the smallest one for comfort but what I'm looking for is consistency.

LSP972
05-10-2016, 06:49 AM

They will learn... or not.

I carried/trained with a Glock for ten years (after years of Sigs, and years of revolvers prior to that); then got into HKs. Over the ensuing 10+ years, I have, several times, "gone back" to Glock- particularly when I thought the RDS was the way to go- but every time the Glocks ended up back in the safe. Now that I have sold all but two of the Glocks, the only switch I'll make is if The HildeBeast bans semi-autos. Then, its full circle back to revolvers.

I'm sure there is a moral in there somewhere... but so what?

YVK
05-10-2016, 08:51 AM
YVK, you referring to a stock LEM trigger, or those LEM triggers you have? You know, your Gray Guns LEM triggers, soon to also have 4.1 part triggers, that are lighter and near shorter than an OEM Glock trigger, and where the trigger job costs more than a whole Glock.

Depends on what Glock you're trying to match them to, stock like SLG's or yours like TTI Glocktriggers Vanek stuff.

BobLoblaw
05-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Glocks are prostitutes, HKs are spouses, and HK fanboys are politicians. We'll deny it, but we do tap that ass when we feel like it.

CCT125US
05-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Glocks are prostitutes, HKs are spouses, and HK fanboys are politicians. We'll deny it, but we do tap that ass when we feel like it.

I approve this message.

LSP972
05-10-2016, 10:15 AM
What's the difference between a prostitute, a lover, and a wife?

The prostitute says: "Hurry up!"

The lover says: "Slow down, baby."

The wife says: "Beige... this ceiling should be beige."

I'm definitely an HK fanboi... but a politician? Hardly.

BobLoblaw
05-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm definitely an HK fanboi... but a politician? Hardly.

Only one way to find out. Do you get taller when you lie?

LSP972
05-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Only one way to find out. Do you get taller when you lie?

Ask LSP552 if I do. ;)

LSP552
05-10-2016, 12:26 PM
LSP972 = Anti-tall :D

JBP55
05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
I never understood the elevation shift when shooting different pistols if the sights are correct and never had any issue shooting with different pistols rapid fire up close and personal.
I do own Glock and HK pistols.

CCT125US
05-10-2016, 12:53 PM
I never understood the elevation shift when shooting different pistols if the sights are correct and never had any issue shooting with different pistols rapid fire up close and personal.
I do own Glock and HK pistols.

I believe the reference is to one's natural inclination based on numerous reps. An index if you will. I can present my P2000 straight and level, hand me a Glock or Shield and I initially point high. It takes no time to fix if you shoot to the sights and not index. I think the issue shows up more at speed where a person may default to previous experience.

M2CattleCo
05-10-2016, 11:22 PM
I shoot Sigs more than anything, but I do practice with my 17K and 43 to stay somewhat proficient with them as I do carry them pretty frequently. I've never been bothered by the grip angle and with my finger indexing the slide of a Glock, Sig, Beretta, H&K, or 1911 on the draw, they seem to all point just fine for me. The difference of trigger pull characteristics is more noticeable to me.

I handle/practice with both enough that just the feel of the grip tells my brain what to do with the gun, if that makes sense.

Lunker
05-11-2016, 10:35 AM
I shoot Sigs more than anything, but I do practice with my 17K and 43 to stay somewhat proficient with them as I do carry them pretty frequently. I've never been bothered by the grip angle and with my finger indexing the slide of a Glock, Sig, Beretta, H&K, or 1911 on the draw, they seem to all point just fine for me. The difference of trigger pull characteristics is more noticeable to me.

I handle/practice with both enough that just the feel of the grip tells my brain what to do with the gun, if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone. The Glock probably just needs to come out of the safe more often. I think i'll be able to make a more informed decision once I start shooting it as much as my HK. I really don't want to ditch the P30. As a lefty, it is really nice to shoot a truly ambi gun.