PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for 590a1 with ghost rings?

NoLock
05-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Which optic would you recommend and how should I mount it? There seems to be a number of ways to mount an optic and have rear iron sights for backup.

I've been looking at 2 moa aimpoint micros and trijicon RMRs.

jlw
05-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Which optic would you recommend and how should I mount it? There seems to be a number of ways to mount an optic and have rear iron sights for backup.

I've been looking at 2 moa aimpoint micros and trijicon RMRs.

If I were going to run an optic on a 590 series, I would probably ditch the factory ghost ring rear and go with one of these:

http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_ghost_ring_sight_in_a_rail.htm

DocGKR
05-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Yup--Aimpoint micro or a Trijicon RMR06 is what I would consider, and definitely need to mount a pic rail.

SpyderMan2k4
05-10-2016, 07:10 AM
If you have a side saddle and run your shells brass up, the RMR is lower profile and will interfere slightly less with over the top emergency reloads. Aside from that, I've been running an Aimpoint micro on my 870 since November and now on a 1301 and I love it.

xmanhockey7
05-10-2016, 08:39 AM
If you have a side saddle and run your shells brass up, the RMR is lower profile and will interfere slightly less with over the top emergency reloads. Aside from that, I've been running an Aimpoint micro on my 870 since November and now on a 1301 and I love it.

Shit, I never thought of that.

SpyderMan2k4
05-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Shit, I never thought of that.
Indeed. It's a non issue for me personally as I run my shells brass down (which is an entirely different topic), but the interference is worth consideration if the circumstances apply (though I don't think it's THAT big of an issue... Certainly worth dealing with for the added benefit of a red dot)

NoLock
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Is anyone going without a rear sight and using the micro aimpoint as a huge ghost ring?

NoLock
06-06-2016, 07:25 PM
I went with an aimpoint micro. How should I zero it? I'm going to mainly use 00 buck. I've got federal flightcontrol and federal reduced recoil slugs.

Right now I'm limited to 50 and 100 yard positions with slugs and then birdshot only at a patterning station 20 yards and closer. I can't get to a range to use 00 buck for a bit.

gqllc007
06-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Is anyone going without a rear sight and using the micro aimpoint as a huge ghost ring?

It works that way for me with my 1301. I can't get my 590A1 to function at all. It won't feed from the mag tube into the chamber when I pump it. I can't get it to catch on a shell and pull it out of the tube...I am sending it back to Mossberg

Dagga Boy
06-07-2016, 10:57 AM
I went with an aimpoint micro. How should I zero it? I'm going to mainly use 00 buck. I've got federal flightcontrol and federal reduced recoil slugs.

Right now I'm limited to 50 and 100 yard positions with slugs and then birdshot only at a patterning station 20 yards and closer. I can't get to a range to use 00 buck for a bit.

Shotguns are always pretty unique and can get interesting zeroing. Try a 50 yard zero with a premium slug load and see if that works for your 15 yard and in 00 impact.

NoLock
06-07-2016, 01:43 PM
It works that way for me with my 1301.

How is that working out? Is there a range / load (slugs buck) where it's not a viable solution?

I'm looking at pic rail / ghost rings to replace the factory rear and use in conjunction with the factory front. The aimpro is not in stock and vang comp doesn't have a version out yet. Any advice?

Ideally I'd want a pic rail / ghost ring for the rear but would going with just a pic rail be sufficient?