PDA

View Full Version : Xdm 5.25 40

canadiangunguy
10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello there,
Does anyone own one of these XDM 5.25 in 40cal? I was thinking of getting one for Standard division in Ipsc. The dealers in Ontario do not even know about this model yet. What do you guys think about Springfields?

Thanks

gtmtnbiker98
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I personally do not consider them a viable platform. Way too many issues reported on the platform as a whole.

jetfire
10-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I have the XDM 5.25 in 9mm; I ran over 5k rounds through mine without any mechanical issues with the gun. The big problem with XDs however is that they have several failure points that you don't see on other guns. If I were building a pistol for IPSC Standard, I'd honestly go with a Glock 24 or a 35 as my first choice.

JonInWA
10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
The new XD-M 5.25 may well be a good gun, but I personally recommend and use the Glock platform-as applicable to you, the Glock G35 in .40, the G34 in 9mm. If you go the G35 route, I'd recommend the Gen4 G35, as I believe that the hiccups have been pretty much sorted out, and the higher-pressure cartridges strike me as being the best beneficiaries of the Gen4 recoil system (and the receiver improvements are a nice bonus as well).

Best, Jon

canadiangunguy
10-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Wow, I was hoping that I would not have to go the Glock route. I already have a 17 and wanted something different.

Thanks

jetfire
10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
To be clear, the XDM will do just fine as a Standard gun. I just feel that having shot an equal number of rounds through the 9mm XDM and a G34 that the Glock is overall a better platform.

theblacknight
10-28-2011, 04:01 PM
M&P Pro40?

Nephrology
10-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Wow, I was hoping that I would not have to go the Glock route. I already have a 17 and wanted something different.

Thanks

Why do you want something "different"? You are using this to score points in IPSC, right? Do you think your targets will care if the rounds you are putting in them come out of a gun that says "glock' or "springfield" on the side?

Besides, if you already have a glock, then you already have a good amount of trigger time on the platform (assumed) and likely enough experience to strip it for maintenance (also assumed).

If you wanted something radically different, like a 1911 or a SAO CZ or something like that, I would understand... but why change horses midway through the race? Especially if you're talking about jumping from a thoroughbread to a one trick pony...