PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga Part II

Dismas316
05-06-2016, 07:08 PM
This is a follow up to my original post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20254-Brazilian-jiu-jitsu-or-Krav-Maga

Really good thread and informative if you are bored but to make along story short, there was a lot of quality information that I gained from the comments. So to all that took the time to post thank you. Well from all the quality suggestions I joined a bjj academy this past week and attended a few classes already. Needles to say, it's been challenging to say the least. Seems simple, as each move is described, but not as easy to execute properly. (I've got a long way to go). I find my self thinking way tomuch of what the heck I'm supposed to do, and getting my butt kicked, but they clearly they are taking it easy on the newbie. (Thankfully) But overall pretty fun. Now I'm no spring chicken, wish I would have discovered this in my 20's. I'm 51 years old but for my age in pretty good shape (worked out in varies ways most my life). Body is sore is some odd places, mainly my lower back but no big deal. Definetly need to start stretching.

Anyway I look forward to the journey, my expectations at this point is just try to learns the basic fundamentals and see where it goes, and have some fun. I post this mainly because I wanted to thank all who took the time to share their thoughts and they because of that you've motivate me to take action. So thank you.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Really nice to see someone following through like this.

Totem Polar
05-06-2016, 07:39 PM
^^^This. Way to go, dismas316.

ubervic
05-06-2016, 07:41 PM
This is a follow up to my original post: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20254-Brazilian-jiu-jitsu-or-Krav-Maga

Really good thread and informative if you are bored but to make along story short, there was a lot of quality information that I gained from the comments. So to all that took the time to post thank you. Well from all the quality suggestions I joined a bjj academy this past week and attended a few classes already. Needles to say, it's been challenging to say the least. Seems simple, as each move is described, but not as easy to execute properly. (I've got a long way to go). I find my self thinking way tomuch of what the heck I'm supposed to do, and getting my butt kicked, but they clearly they are taking it easy on the newbie. (Thankfully) But overall pretty fun. Now I'm no spring chicken, wish I would have discovered this in my 20's. I'm 51 years old but for my age in pretty good shape (worked out in varies ways most my life). Body is sore is some odd places, mainly my lower back but no big deal. Definetly need to start stretching.

Anyway I look forward to the journey, my expectations at this point is just try to learns the basic fundamentals and see where it goes, and have some fun. I post this mainly because I wanted to thank all who took the time to share their thoughts and they because of that you've motivate me to take action. So thank you.

Great to hear this, as I'm your age and am soon to join as a newbie with a (much younger) co-worker, who is now a purple belt in his 6th year of BJJ training.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Not like I'm a gerontologist or anything...but I bet after six months of doing this, you'll feel younger than when you started.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Dismas316
05-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Not like I'm a gerontologist or anything...but I bet after six months of doing this, you'll feel younger than when you started.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I hope your right because I certainly feel every bit my age right now.

Great to hear this, as I'm your age and am soon to join as a newbie with a (much younger) co-worker, who is now a purple belt in his 6th year of BJJ training.

That's a great idea to have a friend to train with, it'll accelarate your learning curve to have someone to work with all the time. Good for you.

ford.304
05-06-2016, 08:30 PM
I started a couple months ago (largely because absolutely every instructor this community looks up to seemed to recommend it). I dunno about feeling younger... I'm 32 and in good shape, and I feel like I've got something new aching every day. But damn if it isn't already slowing down a little bit.

If you haven't already, read the free "A Roadmap For Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

http://www.grapplearts.com/free-bjj-book-online-course/

Then come back in a month or two and read it again and actually understand it.

I don't watch any UFC, so I was just swimming in confused terminology for my first couple weeks. This helps with that a bit.

I also watch the heck out of youtube ahead of and after every lesson. Lots of content there from good instructors, and sometimes the extra mental reps can help when you aren't working on the physical ones.

Dismas316
05-06-2016, 10:14 PM
I started a couple months ago (largely because absolutely every instructor this community looks up to seemed to recommend it). I dunno about feeling younger... I'm 32 and in good shape, and I feel like I've got something new aching every day. But damn if it isn't already slowing down a little bit.

If you haven't already, read the free "A Roadmap For Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

http://www.grapplearts.com/free-bjj-book-online-course/

Then come back in a month or two and read it again and actually understand it.

I don't watch any UFC, so I was just swimming in confused terminology for my first couple weeks. This helps with that a bit.

I also watch the heck out of youtube ahead of and after every lesson. Lots of content there from good instructors, and sometimes the extra mental reps can help when you aren't working on the physical ones.

Thanks, I actually downloaded that this morning for the exact reason you mention. Just understanding the language is a bit of a challenge so thanks for the confirmation that it's just not me. :)

Jay585
05-06-2016, 10:47 PM
I was getting discouraged with myself because I felt like I was the Lennie Smalls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Mice_and_Men) of the gym.

Then I read this and realized that it was just normal. Maybe this'll help you too:

The Four Phases of Learning When Starting Out in BJJ

This is something I’d thought I’d share for all the people relatively early in their training career. I can distinctly remembering considering quitting a number of times when I was a white belt out of frustration and thinking that I did not have the athletic ability to train BJJ. The real problem is I didn’t have perspective on how the learning process in BJJ works. And I didn’t gain that perspective and understanding until almost a year in. A lot of people quit before then just because they think they are doing so poorly when, in reality, what they were experiencing is fairly common. So, for those of you having a hard time with starting BJJ here is, in my experience, what you should expect:

One thing just about everyone struggles with when starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is remembering all of the steps involved when learning a new technique. This is multiplied by the fact that not only are new players trying to remember the technique they just saw but the three other ones the instructor showed earlier in the class. It can be a huge source of frustration when you’ve just learned how to do all of these cool moves and you can’t remember how to do a single one of them after. I missed many an exit on the highway driving to and from BJJ class, rapt in concentration and trying to remember all of the steps to the techniques I just learned. I wanted to let everyone experiencing something similar that it’s ok, relax. This is completely normal. BJJ is a marathon not a sprint. The most important thing is to show up and be consistent. If you do that, the rest will take care of itself. In the meantime expect to go through these four phases for just about every technique you learn for quite a while.

Phase 1 - I have no clue what I’m doing You just saw this move for the first time, we’ll call it the ‘sushi bar’. It is literally like nothing you’ve ever done before. You have no idea where anything goes. It’s like some bizarre game of Twister except on another human body. You remember steps 3 and 4 on the first rep, then you realize you forget steps 1 and 2. Next rep you get steps 1 and 2, forget 3 and 4 and try to skip to 5. You look and feel totally awkward and by the end of the drill you only have a vague idea of how this works but then you forget most of it anyway in a few days.

Phase 2 - I saw the opportunity but I was too late to take advantage of it. After seeing the instructor show the sushi bar a few times in class and drilling it you can finally remember all of the steps. You’re rolling in class and you see the perfect set up but your opponent moves before you even have a chance to try. You spend the ride home after training kicking yourself for missing that golden opportunity and you resolve that you won’t miss it the next time, but you still do.

Phase 3 - I can’t quite finish it It’s been a month or two since you first learned the sushi bar. You’ve seen a lot of different moves since then and you have varying degrees of understanding for all of them. Some you still can’t remember and some you have a decent grasp on. The sushi bar is old hat, you could probably even show a newbie how to do it at this point. Now you see the opportunities when you’re rolling, you react and try to apply it but your opponent always seems to be able to just escape or counter it enough so it doesn’t work.

Phase 4 - Success! You finally pull it off. After seeing the sushi bar a few months ago, drilling it a bunch of times, just missing the technique while rolling you finally, finally, finally catch someone in it and get the tap! Congratulations! You’ve learned to apply a technique against a fully resisting opponent. The feeling is just awesome, like crushing a golf ball off the tee or hitting a home run.

Learning how to apply a BJJ technique in live sparring is a long process. When you look at how much time it can take to learn how to apply just one technique, let alone master it, you can begin to understand why it can take much longer to get a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than other martial arts. This is just a rough idea of how learning every technique will go at first. There is good news. It’s only this hard and this slow in the very beginning. The more you train and the more techniques you know, the easier it gets to learn new ones and the faster you get at the whole process. You can even speed it up significantly by doing extra drilling for moves that you’re having trouble remembering. So if you’re feeling frustrated and overwhelmed by everything you’re learning remember that everyone goes through this. It’s all part of the process. Be patient, be consistent, remember to drill the moves and most of all, enjoy your time on the mat. Hopefully this gives some insight into what it’s like to start BJJ and can relieve some frustration and anxiety for anyone feeling overwhelmed by all there is to learn. Regards, Phil at BJJNation.com Edit: metaphor correction

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/4gou3d/the_four_phases_of_learning_when_starting_out_in/

Dismas316
05-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Jay585. That is spot on!! While it's only been a week phase 1 is exactly what going on. Sucks that it likely will be that way for some time but I'm saving this article as a reminder. On my second day I'm watching the moves being taught and I'm like "I got this" and then when it's my turn to doing I go blank thinking "what was the first move again". Thank you for this, I'm sure I'll be reading this fairly often.

Jay585
05-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Glad to help.

If you can get though Reddit's strange posting order (it's nothing like a regular forum), there's some real gold on there. It's literally a lot like gold panning - there's a lot of crap you just flush down stream but every once in a while a piece of gold like that article shows up.

dookie1481
05-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Glad to help.

If you can get though Reddit's strange posting order (it's nothing like a regular forum), there's some real gold on there. It's literally a lot like gold panning - there's a lot of crap you just flush down stream but every once in a while a piece of gold like that article shows up.

The BJJ subreddit is one of the best subs on there, IMO. Very friendly people, some very experienced people post there, and tons of threads with useful info.

ford.304
05-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

Just remember Master Ken's ultimate BJJ escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JApznst0LFg

NickA
05-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Typical exchange during the Q&A session of a BJJ seminar or class:
"Professor, every time I try x from position y, my opponent does z and escapes/ I get submitted."
Answer: "Then don't do x from y, do this" or "Why are you trying that from there/against a higher belt? ”

The answer always involves something you've learned from day 1, and is followed by looks of ”Why didn't I think of that, holy shit that's cool!" by everyone from white belt all the way up to the other black belts.
BJJ is exactly that simple, and exactly that complicated 😀
Or as one of the Gracies said "You do this,I do that. You do that ,I do this. Forever."

voodoo_man
05-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JApznst0LFg

love the amount of red stripes he has on his belt hahahaha

NCmtnman
05-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Are you training Gi or no Gi? I found that my time training in a Gi was more for sport and when it came to applications where it involved the use of a heavy color I was a little lost in a more realistic application. Aside from that the BJJ training is beneficial and it's a real mental game.

lawdogx
05-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Good on you for doing your research and then executing your plan! I think the hardest thing about Jits is having the courage to walk through the door (yeah, and then to roll around the floor with sweaty guys wearing pajamas). I train at a school with many guys who started in their 40's or 50's, including several black belts now in their 60's. Great advice on perusing Kesting's "Roadmap to BJJ." It can be confusing for newbies, and an important first step is understanding where you are (i.e. this is closed guard, this is half guard, etc). That free ebook does a good job of explaining vocabulary, the fundamental positions, and what you should think about doing from each. Also, as a mature white belt (or any white belt for that matter) - tap early and often. There's no prize for riding out a choke or armbar too long in training. Tap, learn, and start again. You've already done the hardest part, now enjoy and let the addiction take hold :)

SouthNarc
05-11-2016, 09:11 PM
lawdogx do you train at ATT with J.W.?

lawdogx
05-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Yes Sir, started a few years back after he stomped my guts in your ECQC class :p

SouthNarc
05-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Man you need to come back and show those hard earned skillz!!

Dismas316
05-11-2016, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=ford.304;443170]Just wait until you get your first stripe. Then your feeling of confusion will be replaced by occasional feelings of accomplishment... that are immediately crushed because your excitement left you open to get choked/armbarred :/

Haha, that is the one move I have perfected already.

Chance
05-12-2016, 03:43 AM
I highly recommend taking notes, once you're a little more comfortable with the terminology. You're going to have a lot of information thrown at you, and a significant percentage will go in one ear, and out the other.

Dismas316
05-14-2016, 09:42 AM
I highly recommend taking notes, once you're a little more comfortable with the terminology. You're going to have a lot of information thrown at you, and a significant percentage will go in one ear, and out the other.

I've thought about that and I think what I'll do is keep kind of a log after each session. Been reading many of the suggestions by others and get a couple of newsletters that will help familiarize me with the lingo. To add to the challenge is the professor is Brazilian and not the easiest to understand. But so far the people there have been very helpful in working with me to understand what I'm doing. Good suggestion, thanks

GAP
05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Are you training Gi or no Gi? I found that my time training in a Gi was more for sport and when it came to applications where it involved the use of a heavy color I was a little lost in a more realistic application. Aside from that the BJJ training is beneficial and it's a real mental game.

I don't know about that. Most people walk around in clothing or jackets which produce a lot of friction like a GI does.

orionz06
05-14-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't know about that. Most people walk around in clothing or jackets which produce a lot of friction like a GI does.

Yup, shirts tend to hold up well enough to choke and/or make grips to move/sweep/etc. A gi is merely something that won't tear after each choke.

Kimura
05-14-2016, 03:45 PM

You'll be fine. Conditioning comes with work and it's a never ending battle. Like everything else that's physical, you can certainly help yourself by running, hitting weights etc whenever you can. In other words, just because you're doing BJJ, don't ignore other conditioning activities or opportunities. Nick and Nate Diaz do a lot of long distance running and cycling. Personally, I think a good martial arts conditioning program includes running, jumping, core work and weights. Frequency depends on how often you're going to practice and how much time you have.

The terminology and execution will come with time, drilling, working outside of class etc. My martial arts experience has been that it takes everyone time to pick up the finer details. That's okay. And to me, this is a great time for you to take it up. You're learning just because you want to learn. That's the best time.

Dismas316
05-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Into my 3rd week and I just finally getting a grasp of what the heck I'm doing. Starting to understand the terminology a bit better. I actually have an idea of what I want to do but it's a lot harder to execute for sure. I have always been pretty fit and have been working out fairly regularly for years but man my back, particularly my lower back has been really sore all the time. Had to google some back stretches and exercises that have helped. Anyway been fun so far and as I begin to scratch the surface I realize that this is a long journey but hopefully my body holds up and this becomes a regular routine.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Totem Polar
05-24-2016, 12:54 AM
...but man my back, particularly my lower back has been really sore all the time. Had to google some back stretches and exercises that have helped. Anyway been fun so far and as I begin to scratch the surface I realize that this is a long journey but hopefully my body holds up and this becomes a regular routine.

Thanks for all the great advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464069098&sr=8-1&keywords=stretching%2C+bob+anderson

Seriously.

shane45
05-24-2016, 08:31 AM
So it seems BJJ is favored here. I have a sidebar question if I may. For those of us who have seriously flexibility issues and limitations, is BJJ still the way to go over Krav? As a result of a motorcycle racing accident, went off the bike at over 130mph, Ive got some serious hardware in my spine. I simply can not bend or move the way I used to. So Im looking for the discipline that can cope with that limitation. Additionally Im not terribly interested in belts etc etc, Im just interested in improving my unarmed self defense capabilities.

Regards,
Shane

orionz06
05-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Lots of people have limitations, they merely shape your game. Most people can't bend the way they should be able to and flexibility is the limit for many.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Dismas316
05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-30th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464069098&sr=8-1&keywords=stretching%2C+bob+anderson

Seriously.

Thanks I'll look into that. Cant get enough good ideas in that area. I ran across a fantastic youtube site called Foundation training and with in one 10 minutes session my back felt 100% better. I had pain in a specific side/spot that this seemed to work the exact area. So needless to say will make that part of my regular routine. I've been involved in athletics most of my life and unfortunately more of an old school guy who would never stretch. Well that certainly has changed as I have gotten older. So stretching, yoga, or whatever will be part of my routine going forward.

Cecil Burch
05-24-2016, 02:25 PM
So it seems BJJ is favored here. I have a sidebar question if I may. For those of us who have seriously flexibility issues and limitations, is BJJ still the way to go over Krav? As a result of a motorcycle racing accident, went off the bike at over 130mph, Ive got some serious hardware in my spine. I simply can not bend or move the way I used to. So Im looking for the discipline that can cope with that limitation. Additionally Im not terribly interested in belts etc etc, Im just interested in improving my unarmed self defense capabilities.

Regards,
Shane

There are a lot of people doing BJJ with flexibility issues. I am one of them. Even after 25 years, my hips and lower back only move so much. Basically what it means is that there are some moves I am not good at. That's it. But BJJ is so vast and dense that there are tons of moves/games out there that more than compensate for a lack of flexibility. Half-guard for example is a perfect guard game for guys like us.

dontshakepandas
05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
I tagged on to your last thread so I figured I'd do it again.

I've been consistently going at least 3 times a week since my first class until I had my first injury last Wednesday.

We were working on a spider guard pass and I popped a rib. I've had a few broken bones, but that was the most painful experience of my life. I had a lot of issues moving and breathing for a few days but i finally feel like I'm getting better.

I plan to go to class for drilling tonight and may do some light rolling if I can land some upper belt partners who feel confident avoiding the area.

I definitely feel hooked. Not being able to go the last few days has really bummed me out.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Dismas316
05-24-2016, 08:06 PM

I've been consistently going at least 3 times a week since my first class until I had my first injury last Wednesday.

We were working on a spider guard pass and I popped a rib. I've had a few broken bones, but that was the most painful experience of my life. I had a lot of issues moving and breathing for a few days but i finally feel like I'm getting better.

I plan to go to class for drilling tonight and may do some light rolling if I can land some upper belt partners who feel confident avoiding the area.

I definitely feel hooked. Not being able to go the last few days has really bummed me out.

That sucks. Talked to a guy last week who basically did the same thing in his first week of class. Was out for a month or two with tap cracked rib.

spelingmastir
05-25-2016, 06:32 AM
There are a lot of people doing BJJ with flexibility issues. I am one of them. Even after 25 years, my hips and lower back only move so much. Basically what it means is that there are some moves I am not good at. That's it. But BJJ is so vast and dense that there are tons of moves/games out there that more than compensate for a lack of flexibility. Half-guard for example is a perfect guard game for guys like us.

I second this. While it helps to be flexible and bjj can help improve your flexibility, one of the signs of a good art or technique is its lack of reliance on attributes like strength, speed, and flexibility. BJJ has shown this over and over, despite many people saying otherwise. Many bjj practitioners say that they aren't ____ (insert attribute) enough and to me, that's an excuse for lack of technique. I don't lift weights at all but do body weight exercises to protect my joints and have some degree of strength. I run so that I don't get too fat. I don't do these things to be better at bjj.

Kimura
05-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Great attitude/great approach. We all know that injuries are a part of doing BJJ/kickboxing/MMA etc. There is inherent risk in participation; life, fighting and all. And injuries need time to heal. While most of us want to jump back in full tilt, that time comes when it comes. But generally there is always something you can do while they are; maybe that's doing drills but sitting out any rolling or sparring, or lifting weights or cycling, running or a combination of things. It's awesome that you're thinking of ways to stay in it even while healing. Lots of people get injured and just stop working out, but I think when injuries occur is the time to start looking at the alternatives to doing nothing.

dontshakepandas
05-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Great attitude/great approach. We all know that injuries are a part of doing BJJ/kickboxing/MMA etc. There is inherent risk in participation; life, fighting and all. And injuries need time to heal. While most of us want to jump back in full tilt, that time comes when it comes. But generally there is always something you can do while they are; maybe that's doing drills but sitting out any rolling or sparring, or lifting weights or cycling, running or a combination of things. It's awesome that you're thinking of ways to stay in it even while healing. Lots of people get injured and just stop working out, but I think when injuries occur is the time to start looking at the alternatives to doing nothing.
Thanks! I actually ended up not being able to make it last night due to work but I'm off the next few days so I'll get a few classes in.

I've also been able to spend time on an elliptical without much pain. The impact of running is still pretty painful so that's out for now.

SLG
05-25-2016, 06:25 PM
So...why shouldn't one shake a Panda?

Because they study Jiu-Jitsu!

Sorry, I had to amuse myself at everyone on the net's expense.

krav51
06-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Question for the BJJ guys here,when you grapple do you usually begin on the the ground or standing? thanks

orionz06
06-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Both, depends on purpose.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Paul Sharp
06-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Question for the BJJ guys here,when you grapple do you usually begin on the the ground or standing? thanks

It's based on what we're working on. In some gyms it's also based on the membership. I have a lot of wrestlers and judoka in my gym, and two of my assistant coaches also coach wrestling at the collegiate and high school level. A few of our guys have medaled at Judo Nationals, numerous times. We also have a 9th Dan Judo black belt on staff so our guys don't really need the standing work during BJJ when they could use that time to focus on escapes or finishing submissions. As a result we might start with guys pinned against the fence standing or on the ground, other times we start with guys under side control, or knee on belly, again it all depends on what we're working on. I'm testing for my black belt/dan rank in Judo in a couple months so I'm hyper focused on my Judo game as a result I've been starting almost 100% of my training time from the feet. Once I reach that objective I might do a focused block on De La Riva guard for a month or something similar, again all dependent upon my goals.

krav51
06-21-2016, 09:48 AM
It's based on what we're working on. In some gyms it's also based on the membership. I have a lot of wrestlers and judoka in my gym, and two of my assistant coaches also coach wrestling at the collegiate and high school level. A few of our guys have medaled at Judo Nationals, numerous times. We also have a 9th Dan Judo black belt on staff so our guys don't really need the standing work during BJJ when they could use that time to focus on escapes or finishing submissions. As a result we might start with guys pinned against the fence standing or on the ground, other times we start with guys under side control, or knee on belly, again it all depends on what we're working on. I'm testing for my black belt/dan rank in Judo in a couple months so I'm hyper focused on my Judo game as a result I've been starting almost 100% of my training time from the feet. Once I reach that objective I might do a focused block on De La Riva guard for a month or something similar, again all dependent upon my goals.

Makes sense to start from a position of disadvantage and train from there.We try to never go to the ground,and if we end up there,our main goal is to do damage and get up before a weapon can be used or a friend(bystander) decides to kick you in the head.I got a chance to train with a high ranking BJJ guy a while ago,very impressive.Wish i had the time to cross train in BJJ as well as Krav,used in the right context in a fight i think it would be highly effective.

dookie1481
06-23-2016, 07:48 PM

I would like to start standing (for the most part) but we just don't have the space.

dunndw
06-24-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm lucky in the fact that my Krav gym also offers BJJ. I just tested for my orange belt in Krav a few weeks ago. Now I'm planning on taking more classes "on the other mat" as we call it. My Krav instructors talk about how the two compliment each other very well... to the point where they have started integrating more BJJ into the "standard" Krav training. We spent an entire class working forward rolls, back rolls, back and side breakfalls, then moved onto starting on the bottom, bucking, either hipping out or trap and rolling out, then gaining mount on our partner.