PDA

View Full Version : Week 163: Chasing Splits

Mr_White
05-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Week 163: Chasing Splits

Results may be posted until June 6th, 2016.

Designed by: Gabe White
Range: Shooter's choice of 5, 7, or 10 yards
Target: USPSA lower A-zone, 8" circle, or 8-1/2 x 11" paper
Start Position: Shooter's choice of ready or holstered
Rounds Fired: Varies (at least 12)

For this Drill of the Week, we are going to take a look at how fast we can move our trigger finger, then try to shoot reasonably accurately as close to that pace as possible.

First, figure out how fast you can run the trigger and fire the gun. Shoot at least six shots into the berm as fast as you can. Don't use a target or aim at any particular thing - just make sure all your shots go into the berm and not somewhere else. Feel free to repeat this if you'd like. Review your split times and record the lowest one. The sole purpose of this part of the drill is to shoot the gun as fast as you can, which is going to require some degree of looseness and relaxation. Your single best split will become a goal to chase in the next part of the drill.

Next, set up your target at 5, 7, or 10 yards (your choice, but further will be harder.) At the start signal, draw/present the gun and shoot six shots to the target. Record your split times from clean runs only, and average the split times from those runs. You can try as many times as you want. Try to keep your finger moving as close to 'as fast as you can' as possible, but especially, also pay attention to the sights and keep driving the gun back to the target spot. A balance must be struck between the relaxation needed to run the trigger fast and the tension needed to keep driving the gun back to the target spot fast - and the visual and mental awareness to organize those two factors harmoniously.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun, holster (if any), concealment (if any), target and distance
Fastest split time while firing into the berm without a target
Average split time for your clean runs with a target
Difference between your fastest split into the berm, and your average split on a clean run with a target
Total number of rounds you fired in the course of this drill :)
Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Clobbersaurus
05-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I ran this with two guns, just to compare the triggers.

Beretta Elite II and Beretta 92 D
Blade-Tech OWB holster and belt.

Fastest Split time Elite II into berm: .16
Fastest split time 92D into Berm: .22

I only ran the Elite II for the drill. Distance was 7 yards. Target was an IPSC A-zone.

I had Three clean runs of the four I did.

1) 2.82 clean
2) 2.69 one out
3) 2.8 clean
4) 2.5 clean

Average split time of three clean runs: .22

Here is a quick video.

http://youtu.be/jbDbVxZfQ4A

backtrail540
05-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Glock 17 gen 3, glock 17 rtf2 - Dark star gear aiwb

I ran this with my carry gun and the rtf2. I wanted to see if there was a significant advantage to the texture on the rtf2 gun vs the plain gen 3. Short story - not for me.

7yds - paper plate

Fastest blind split with the rtf2 - .16
Fastest blind split with the gen 3 - .19

Average of all runs with rtf2 - .24
Average clean run with rtf2 - .25

Average of all runs with gen 3 - .23
Average of clean runs with gen 3 - .24

Average of all runs combined - .23
Average of all clean runs combined - .24

Difference between fastest split and clean average rtf2 - .9
Difference between fastest split and clean average gen 3 - .5
Difference between fastest overall blind split and clean average overall - .8

Total rounds fired (not counting draws) - 70

Observations - I had a .34 split on one of the clean runs with the rtf2. With that in mind there wasn't really a meaningful difference between the rtf and regular gen 3 guns. I believe the more square back strap of the gen 3 helps me control the gun despite the lack of texture. Overall I'm happy with .24 average on clean runs. The dropped shots were just were about a 1/2" high on the not clean runs. It was an interesting experiment.

okie john
05-12-2016, 10:40 PM
Gun, target and distance: Gen4 G19 from the low ready. IPSC target at 5 yards.
Fastest split time no target: 0.18 seconds
Average split time for clean runs with target: 0.20 seconds
Difference between fastest split and average split on a clean run with a target: 0.02 seconds
Total rounds fired: 50-ish
Observations: I haven't shot Glocks much lately, and even when I shot nothing else, I always had trouble getting super-fast splits. I'll occasionally drop below 0.18 but that was extremely rare and I always felt like I was being borderline irresponsible. On this drill, it took me a couple of "berm runs" to get my split speed down below about 0.22. Once I did that, I started shooting the paper and averaged 0.20 for three strings.

Okie John

JAD
05-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Wilson CQB Commander, EX-RSO, polo

Berm run: 1.47-.19-.20-.21-..19-.18; average 0.19
1.88-.28-.27-.32-.31-.31 average 0.30, way too conservative.
Too fast turned out to be a .21 average; I pulled one low just off the B8.
1.74-.23-.29-..25-.24-.30 average 0.26, could still go faster.
For giggles I ran it with Critical duty 220+P:1.66-.39-.37-.36-.35-.34, funny to see me getting steadily faster.

Range1
05-14-2016, 06:00 AM
Glock 22 with 9mm conversion, CompTac OWB holster, vest, USPSA metric target, 5 yards
Fastest split time: .17
Average split time: .282
Difference: .112
Total number of rounds fired: Did not notice this until started to record results but was at least 30 probably several more

The Apprentice
06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Glock 19 shot from low ready

Fastest split .24
Average split .279
Number of rounds 30
Difference .039
All runs where clean on a b8 target at 5yrds mostly in the black. I need to move my finger faster but I feel like I'm going to loose control. Even shooting into the burm I had a hard time moving fast but without trying all six shots stayed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 5 yards so I think its a mental thing.

taadski
06-05-2016, 12:38 AM
Sig 226R ST
Safariland 6360 (SLS/ALS)
USPSA metric at 7 yards

Splits into the berm:
.21, .15, .15, .18, .21

Ran the drill from the holster twice:

Run 1: 1.11, .23, .18, .16, .18, .21 (2:07 but pushed 2 bout an inch high into the C)

Run 2: 1.32, .20, .20, .19, .15, .21 (2.27 clean)

Average split is .19

.04 difference between fastest berm split and average split of clean run

Total rounds shooting this drill: 18 counting the berm run.

I think the most significant thing I notice shooting drills like these is that the difference between clean runs and having a charlie or two out isn't about dialing the speed up or down, but is more about being super attentive visually. Not that you're going to be making significant sighting adjustments shooting at these speeds, but for some reason or another, really HUNTING for that front sight each time it returns tends to yield the cleaner runs.

t

taadski
06-05-2016, 08:53 PM
I've have limited luck trying to get photobucket videos to work well on here, but I did have some iPhone video running during the two runs above, so I'll give it a shot. Here's the second one.

http://vid388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Videos/5A299EBF-AE3D-449D-B052-DDB44A66DE40_zpspl5moubp.mp4

Luke
06-05-2016, 09:13 PM
No video taadski

Drang
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I got the video. At first it said "Thumbnail Not Available", but the video played when I clicked play.

taadski
06-05-2016, 09:23 PM
No video taadski

Yeah, I'm not sure what gives. I posted some videos last year I think and Gabe said it took his computer a while to load them or something. For whatever reason. I think he said if he stared at the screen for a while and dry practiced at it, it eventually loaded. :)

I guess perhaps I should just open a youtube or vimeo account. [sigh]

I go the video. At first it said "Thumbnail Not Available", but the video played when I clicked play.

Thanks Drang.

Drang
06-05-2016, 09:25 PM
I guess perhaps I should just open a youtube or vimeo account.
Have an Android phone? Google accounts come with YouTube accounts.

Luke
06-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I just see a blank with nothing. No video anything. I'll let it sit and see what it does. Man YouTube is the way to go. Hit share, copy that URL, click the video roll icon by the emojis, paste it in there, at the beginning where it says HTTPS, delete that S and your good to go!

taadski
06-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I have a Gmail account. But it seems like Google shares info with everybody and their brothers, not to mention the extent with which they seem to track all our click data, etc… I'm not sure I want all my Gmail data associated with all my video/photo stuff. I'm paranoid is the short of the matter. :p [runs away looking up for black helicopters]

Actually, do any of ya'll know if you CAN keep things private enough that associated emails won't be publicly viewable with Youtube? As in, I can name the Youtube account whatever that's unrelated? Apologies if these are dolt level concerns. I don't have a Bookface account either. :p

Luke
06-05-2016, 09:38 PM
I don't do Facebook or social media at all either. Been thinking about doing something for shooting but don't know how/what.

I don't think you can see my email from my YouTube page? Have GJM post them for you :)

taadski
06-05-2016, 09:43 PM
I don't do Facebook or social media at all either. Been thinking about doing something for shooting but don't know how/what.

I don't think you can see my email from my YouTube page? Have GJM post them for you :)

Ummmm, yeah….NO! I've got some really good videos of GJM though! :D

What's your YouTube page and I'll tell ya! :p

Drang
06-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Actually, do any of ya'll know if you CAN keep things private enough that associated emails won't be publicly viewable with Youtube? As in, I can name the Youtube account whatever that's unrelated? Apologies if these are dolt level concerns. I don't have a Bookface account either. :p

I dunno. Here's my home page, do you see my contact info? D.W. Drang - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhEWPueIGM6KP_EiCyb9YQ)

I am currently Facebookless, as I refuse to send them scans of government issued ID. Trying to find a way to fix that, I have missed out on a couple of things because of that, and almost missed news of the death f a friend of mine.

Luke
06-05-2016, 10:37 PM
I dunno. Here's my home page, do you see my contact info? D.W. Drang - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfhEWPueIGM6KP_EiCyb9YQ)

I am currently Facebookless, as I refuse to send them scans of government issued ID. Trying to find a way to fix that, I have missed out on a couple of things because of that, and almost missed news of the death f a friend of mine.

Wow, you really can see a lot from a YouTube page. Looks like you left you bathroom light on, and the speghetti on the second shelf in the fridge is bad.

:)

Drang
06-05-2016, 11:08 PM
LOL45

taadski
06-06-2016, 12:41 AM

Only liked videos, subscriptions and uploads visible. Thanks.

taadski
06-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Alright. Here goes... :eek:

https://youtu.be/iDaKghUHSxw

Clusterfrack
06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Sig p320 GGI, USPSA Production rig
Metric USPSA target, A zone
24 rounds shot

Berm: fastest split 0.16
5 yds (clean): 2.16s total, 0.17s average split
10 yds (1 C): 2.42s total, 0.20s average split
15 yds (clean): 3.20s total, 0.35s average split

Observations: grip. grip. grip.

Mr_White
06-07-2016, 12:16 PM
I think the most significant thing I notice shooting drills like these is that the difference between clean runs and having a charlie or two out isn't about dialing the speed up or down, but is more about being super attentive visually. Not that you're going to be making significant sighting adjustments shooting at these speeds, but for some reason or another, really HUNTING for that front sight each time it returns tends to yield the cleaner runs.

That exactly matches my experience too!