PDA

View Full Version : Competition holster, belt, and other gear recommendations

Cool Breeze
05-04-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm relatively new to competition and thinking about getting really serious about it. I'm not really sure where to begin as far as gear. The few matches I shot years ago, I just used my ccw rig and had a lot of fun. I just got a JRC SSA for my Glock 17 and really like that and have been thinking about just using that. That being said, I love gear and wanted to start some research on potential options. I'll be shooting a Glock 17 or 19.

Some of the big names use Safariland holsters but for some reason the suede lining just makes me think that it will not be friendly to the gun and in the thread about Sean M.'s search for a 1911 rig other people seemed to experience or think the same thing. Their USPSA kit does look interesting though and Rob Leatham seems to like it. Other major brands seem like Blade-tech, Ben Stoeger (blade-tech?), Double Alpha, seem to be popular. As far as belts, I honestly am lost especially with the underbelts and the overbelts and mounting options.

I'm not familiar with all the rules of USPSA vs. IDPA vs. Steel vs. etc. but hoping to use one set of gear for both if possible. I'm just shooting a Glock 17 or 19 with some grip tape and 3.5 connector. No other mods except for non stock iron sights.

What do you all like and use...and why?

GJM
05-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Here is an option:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

Sent from my iPad

Luke
05-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Here is an option:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

Sent from my iPad

This X138562572836!!!

The BOSS is the best thing since sliced bread. And it is sooo nice having your holster and mag ouch In the SAME EXACT spot every time.

orionz06
05-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Armiger Solutions holster on a Boss hanger.
(http://www.armigersolutions.com/product-p/owbv2.htm)
They're a member here and have been for years.

http://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10346593_1032511530154626_6970825388516482932_n.jp g?oh=8c371e6f6d3fdb0ed91a8c97512ea5f4&oe=57E2D6F3

pr1042
05-04-2016, 10:17 PM
If the goal is one set of gear, just buy everything geared towards IDPA which means no inner/outer belt, no dropped/offset holster, etc.

Simple setup would be the belt of your choice, Safariland 5197 holster (dirt cheap and I believe what Vogel uses), and then some Bladetech/Kytex/Safariland,etc mag pouches

Cool Breeze
05-04-2016, 10:23 PM
If the goal is one set of gear, just buy everything geared towards IDPA which means no inner/outer belt, no dropped/offset holster, etc.

Simple setup would be the belt of your choice, Safariland 5197 holster (dirt cheap and I believe what Vogel uses), and then some Bladetech/Kytex/Safariland,etc mag pouches
Whoops... Would be willing to modify that.... I thought the only difference was placement of gear. Sorry.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Cowtown44
05-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Agreed x 1000 with Luke

Edwin
05-05-2016, 01:46 AM
+1 GJM

martin_j001
05-05-2016, 05:14 AM
I just received the Double Alpha Pro belt the other day and am pretty impressed with it so far. It is much stiffer than my current every day and competition belt I have been using (Wilderness Frequent Flyer), and worked well for some dry fire practice with my Comp-Tac International set up on it.

rob_s
05-05-2016, 07:20 AM
If your looking to do both IDPA and USPSA with one set of gear get yourself a Wilderness belt and Bladetech holster and mag pouches.

Nachos
05-05-2016, 07:00 PM
+1 for Armiger. I'm actually the owner of the Rebel Alliance holster. Beats the tar out of the Blade-tech DOH that I was using for production. I'm probably going to have him whip something up for my Edge and Shadow 2 when it arrives.

Belt wise CR Speed is the way to go. I have 3 of their standard belts ranging in age from 3 to 10 years old that have held up extremely well. The DAA belt my old single stack rig is on showed more wear after 1 season of shooting than the middle of the 3 CR belts.

Pouch wise CR Speed, Ghost and Safariland are the heat.

Armiger
05-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the nod, Tom. Now I'll nerd out over gamer gear:

The BOSS is legitimately the best USPSA hanger around. I keep them in stock for USPSA guys. If you want a holster that does both games, you'll have to adhere to IDPA rules. Inside of the gun must be no more than 3/4" away from your body, front strap of the grip must be above the belt line, and if the leading edge of the holster is scooped out, no more than 1.75" from the breech face.

Comptac/Bladetech/Safariland are your off the shelf holster options, or there are a few kydex dudes that do game-specific holsters with a plethora of options.

A normal belt will do great for IDPA, but as far as inner/outer belts go, I prefer CR Speed, but DAA belts work just as well. They wont be IDPA legal but are quite convenient for USPSA if you want a dedicated rig. It really depends on what division you want to shoot. If production, you'll want 5-6 mag pouches. Now add the holster and that's a ton of belt threading. If you're gonna shoot Limited, you'll only really need a couple mag pouches, so the belt may be a nonissue for you.

On the subject of mag pouches, there are plenty of options, and it largely depends on what you're looking for in a pouch. For IDPA, I point most people to Readytac / Kytex . I dig how they work, and they're cheap. I'm not above giving credit where it's due. But, really any decent mag pouch will work.