PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield Vegas This Weekend

spinmove_
05-04-2016, 09:15 AM
So I'm headed to Vegas this weekend and a little birdie told me that I'll be making a stop at the Battlefield Vegas range. I'm ridiculously stoked as there's just a ton of really cool stuff there that I'd love to get my mitts on. Problem is, I'm not made of money and I don't want to waste my time on stuff that just isn't worth it. That's where you guys come in. I'm looking for suggestions on stuff that is a "must try" for someone that hasn't had their hands on a bunch of different small arms. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking about trying to go with:

Glock 18
Luger P-08
FN Five-seveN (probably not worth it?)
Tokarev
USP-45
Mauser C-96

AK-47 (never actually shot one, but now that I think about it, I think I know of a local range that can rents one)
Steyr AUG
STG-44
FN FAL
AK-74

MP5-SD
Thompson M-1928

Barrett M107A1
Springfield M-1903A4

M-249 SAW
M1918-A2 Browning Automatic Rifle

Obviously I'd love to shoot everything there, but I'd like to try to keep it realistic without breaking the bank. I'd also love to get my hands on the ma deuce, but that might be a bit too rich for this trip.

What are your thoughts?

Nephrology
05-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Well... what is it you are looking to get out of this, exactly?

If you already own a bunch of handguns and/or aren't specifically looking to pick up a new platform, I'd skip handguns altogether. The Five-SeveN is fun for one magazine but otherwise the ergos are crappy and the grip texture is unpleasant.

For full auto stuff, I really like MP5s and Uzis. did not love the Sten I shot. Never fired any rifle-caliber FA.

If you like historical weapons, I'd definitely try the STG44 and the BAR. Maybe P08 and the C96. I would definitely pass on the tokarev.

AKs are cool. I'f shoot the 74 if you had to pick between the two. I don't find them that much fun to shoot though to be honest. I owned one in x39 for a while, sold it, don't have any particular longing to buy another.

spinmove_
05-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Really I'm just looking to shoot some stuff that isn't common to find for rent at most places and/or I haven't personally shot before. I'm not super huge into historical weapons, yet, but I could see myself nerding out over it in the future. I'd definitely like to try the full-auto options as I've never shot anything full auto before. The MP5 just looks intriguing. I'd probably never own one, but it looks cool as hell and it's reputation precedes it. I've never shot an HK pistol ever (*gasp*, yes I know, a PF member that hasn't shot an HK before, oh the humanity...). Who wouldn't want to get their mitts on a C-96 or a P-08?

The tip about the Five-seveN being over rated I kinda figured would be the case. I'll probably pass on it ultimately.

rd62
05-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd give the G18 a go. MP5's are always fun especially in SD form. I enjoyed the Thompson I shot and would like to give it another go. Belt fun is always a hoot for me. I'd pass on the FAL, AK's, and AUG but I've also owned or at least fired them before. STG-44 sounds cool

05-04-2016, 01:25 PM
I went there a month ago. Got the "Special Ops Package" so I shot 20 rounds each from an mp5, Uzi, M4 and AK. The range officer loaded and charged the gun before handing it to me.

You could buy into a package like I did, or rent guns al a carte. I would do the latter if I were to do it again.

It wasn't a bad time, but in the end I spent the equivalent of two cases of ammo for 10 minutes of shooting. I'd rather have the ammo. That's just me.

They will drive you back to your hotel in a humvee. That was the coolest part.

spinmove_
05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
I went there a month ago. Got the "Special Ops Package" so I shot 20 rounds each from an mp5, Uzi, M4 and AK. The range officer loaded and charged the gun before handing it to me.

You could buy into a package like I did, or rent guns al a carte. I would do the latter if I were to do it again.

It wasn't a bad time, but in the end I spent the equivalent of two cases of ammo for 10 minutes of shooting. I'd rather have the ammo. That's just me.

They will drive you back to your hotel in a humvee. That was the coolest part.

Yeah, I looked at the prices for those packages and they look RATHER expensive for 100rds total. Do you have the option of buying more ammo for the a la carte options?

05-04-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't recall. I'm sure you could work something out.

Nephrology
05-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Honestly given the expense I'd probably just rent the MP5 and however much ammo is financially sensible. It's the pinnacle of full auto fun, IMO.

Josh Runkle
05-04-2016, 03:58 PM
I've never shot a BAR or an STG-44, so I would shoot those. You sound like you haven't had the opportunity to shoot much stuff before? I'd go with whatever you are most curious to shoot.

BillSWPA
05-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Full auto is worth trying once, but outside of a belt-fed weapon in a military context, is just a quick way to dump a lot of ammo down range with suboptimal accuracy.

Try whatever you think would be the neatest and whatever you are least likely to get another chance to try. For me that would be the Glock 18, Thomson, and maybe 1-2 other submachine guns. Once you have tried it once, I would prefer that case of ammo for real practice as well.

Hambo
05-04-2016, 06:38 PM
You're not into historic firearms now, but the older they are the more the likelihood that you won't get to shoot them in the future.

Luger P-08
Mauser C-96
STG-44
Thompson M-1928
M1918-A2 Browning Automatic Rifle

psalms144.1
05-04-2016, 08:30 PM
I've shot everything on that list except the BAR. If it were free, I'd shoot them all. If I had to pay, I'd spend all my time with the BAR, and the Tommy. Of course, I used to have an MP5SD issued to me, and I can shoot my MP5KN anytime I can get away from the blackhole called my desk and actually make it to the range, so, I'm sorta spoiled that way. None of the pistols, even the Luger and the Broomhandle "do" much for me.

FNFAN
05-04-2016, 09:42 PM
I worked at one of the original Vegas MG rental ranges. For fun times I'd suggest.

MP5
Uzi
Mac10 w/can
Thompson
Grease Gun
Suomi 37 (if they have one)
Swedish K (my favorite MG)
G18

spinmove_
05-05-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm somewhat thinking along the lines of Hambo. With the exception of the USP 45, MP5SD, and G18.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I pretty much got the responses that I figured that I was going to get, but figured that if you don't ask the question, you never know. Flying out tonight. I'll post my experiences with what I shoot when I get back. There's just a lot of really cool stuff there.

spinmove_
05-09-2016, 07:10 AM
So here's what we ended up shooting this past weekend:

MP5K-SD
Luger P-08
AK-47
Glock 18
Springfield 1903-A4
Ma Deuce

The Ma Deuce was a damn spiritual experience. Got to keep one of the spent .50BMG casings from that experience. Overall a really cool experience run by some truly standup guys. I highly recommend it.

LittleLebowski
05-09-2016, 07:16 AM
I'm not a full auto fan but dat Ma Deuce... I still remember my religious awakening from Corps when I first got to use the M2.

spinmove_
05-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Honestly, I didn't really do any full auto mag dumps. Just a waste of money in a very short amount of time. What I did like though was doing bursts.