PDA

View Full Version : New P30 issues - ammo or gun related?

wrt81
10-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I picked up a P30 9mm LEM recently and I've been having some issues with it. I'm a little unsure if it is the gun or if it's just ammo related. Sorry for the long post but I figured the more details the better.

First, I will say that before shooting the new P30 at all I did change the stock V2 set up to the "Todd Green Special" (where's the trademark symbol?) by changing out the FPBS spring and the hammer spring. I've done the same conversion on my P2000 and really like that set up.

On the first range trip I ran one box (50 rds) of my usual carry ammo, Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P and then 300 rds of PMC Bronze 115gr. I had quite a few FTE (failure to eject) with the PMC ammo. The fired case would get extracted from the chamber but would not exit the gun completely. It either stovepiped or got stuck horizontally sitting on top of the newly chambered round.

I know PMC is considered by some to be weak ammo and that some P30's seem to have a stiff recoil spring. So, I manually cycled the slide a few hundred times and went back to the range a few days later. This time I ran another 300 rounds through it....100 WWB (115gr) from Walmart, 100 Sellier & Bellot 115gr, and another 100 of the PMC. The WWB and S&B ran fine but I still had a few FTE (eject) with the PMC.

A few days later I went back and ran another 300 of the PMC through it. I again had some FTEs (I think around 4).

My local shop had some Aguila 124gr so I picked up a case. On my next range trip I ran 300 of the Aguila through it with only 1 FTE towards the end of that 300. I then ran another 50 S&B through it on that trip with no problems.

Last night after cleaning it I left the slide locked back overnight, as I've read that may help with the stiff recoil spring. Tonight I went back and put another 300 rds of the Aguila through it. On somewhere around the 275rd mark I had a failure to EXTRACT this time. I fired a round, the slide stayed open and I noticed that the spent casing was still in the chamber with the new round trying to go in as well. I dropped the mag out and closed the slide, then manually cycled the slide and the spent casing ejected fine. It did not feel any different than normal as far as the case seeming to be stuck or anything. I realize now I shouldn't have closed the slide with the spent casing still in the chamber (I've read that can damage the extractor if done a lot?). I inspected the case and it did not seem any different than some of the other casings I had shot...it wasn't bulged or anything. After this I ran the remaining 25 rounds or so of the Aguila through it with no issues and another 100 rds of Seillier & Bellot through it with no problems.

So, at this point I have 1700 rounds through it total. If the issues were just specific to the PMC ammo in the beginning I would just toss it up to the stiff recoil spring that some P30's seem to have. However, with over 1k rounds through it (with some 124gr ammo in there), the last two stoppages (FTEject and FTExtract both with 124gr Aguila) have me a bit concerned.

I'm looking for some feedback on what some of you think. Does it seem to be weak ammo & stiff recoil spring related or does there seem to be something else going on? I've shot mostly WWB and PMC through my P2000 and USP and never had any problems that I recall. Also, I have cleaned the gun after each range trip.

Thanks in advanced for any input you can provide.

deeHKman
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I would take the extractor out and really clean it good. Some have very bad build up and the extractor cannot funtion with all the gunk under there. A good gun solvent should do the trick, good luck

BTW, i have 2 P30's and shoot WWB from day one no problem's. I strongly feel it's not a ammo issue..I put a little grease and oil on the rail's and on the grooves's in the frame the frame rail's ride on. Plus other location's the manual states to...

YVK
10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
If this were my gun, it would've been at HK customer service 1200 rounds ago.

JodyH
10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Did you remove the extractor when you swapped out the FPBS spring?
And if so, are you sure you installed the extractor spring and the extractor bolt correctly when you put it back together.

My P30 has never had a problem with any ammo I've fed it, including WWB, Tula and Aguila.

wrt81
10-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I would take the extractor out and really clean it good. Some have very bad build up and the extractor cannot funtion with all the gunk under there. A good gun solvent should do the trick, good luck

BTW, i have 2 P30's and shoot WWB from day one no problem's. I strongly feel it's not a ammo issue..I put a little grease and oil on the rail's and on the grooves's in the frame the frame rail's ride on. Plus other location's the manual states to...

I cleaned the extractor a bit before the last range trip. I didn't remove it from the gun, but scrubbed the "claw" with a small brass brush and a little bit of solvent.

wrt81
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Did you remove the extractor when you swapped out the FPBS spring?
And if so, are you sure you installed the extractor spring and the extractor bolt correctly when you put it back together.

My P30 has never had a problem with any ammo I've fed it, including WWB, Tula and Aguila.

No, I didn't remove the extractor. It is held in by a separate roll pin than the one you remove for the FPBS from what I can tell.

I'm thinking I'll give HK a call tomorrow if I get a chance and see what they say.

F-Trooper05
10-26-2011, 11:58 PM
If this were my gun, it would've been at HK customer service 1200 rounds ago.

Big +1.

wrt81
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Well it looks like it may have been just weak ammo after all. I talked to Travis at HK and he said I could send it in if I wanted, but suggested I run some more 124gr ammo through it first since that is what the P30 is really designed to run on. I really didn't want to deal with shipping it back honestly, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I picked up some Federal American Eagle 124gr (what Travis recommended and said what they usually use to test the guns at HK). I ran 500 rounds of that through it with no issues at all. I've also ran another 300 of the S&B 115gr through it. So, 800 rounds through it with "hotter" ammo and so far,so good. I'll probably shoot the rest of the case of S&B I have and then try the PMC & Aguila stuff I had issues with previously.

Mjolnir
10-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Wrt81, I had/have the very same issues with the identical hardware you reference. The failures were intermittent but disconcerting. Switched to Winchester White Box with no issues. No issues with any of the hotter self defense loads.

Looking back I recall similar issues with the V1 P30 some years ago and recall being told to try 124gr ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddG
10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
I would be willing to accept "Don't shoot weak foreign-made ammo of questionable quality." I absolutely would not accept "don't shoot 115gr ammo." It's a 9mm pistol that should shoot any SAAMI-spec 9mm Para ammunition. If it cannot properly function when firing SAAMI-spec 9mm Para ammunition, it should be returned to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

JohnN
10-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Considering what most folks were saying on forums I thought using 115gr S&B for the first 500rds would be a good test. Zero gun related malfunctions but more than a few shooter induced slide lock failures especially in the first 500rds. No gun related malfunctions using different weights and bullet configurations in 2800rds. Fortunately,changing the slide releases to the slim variety has now zeroed the slide lock issue out.

SecondsCount
10-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I had similar issues with my P30 when I first got it. The gun was purchased used with 250 rounds shot according to the original owner and he said it ran fine for him.

For the first 200 rounds It never gave me any issues with my standard reload of 5.3 grains of Ramshot Silhouette under a 124 grain FMJ bullet. The problem arose when I gave it to a friend to try and it stove-piped twice in one magazine on him. It also would not run for my wife or her friend who was shooting 115 grain WWB. I increased the load to 5.6 grains which is maximum according to the manual. Several shooters including myself shot the next 500 rounds with this load without an issue.

There have been a couple other posts on other forums with the same issue which makes me think the P30 likes a good firm hold and quality 124 grain ammo for at least the first 500-1000 rounds.