PDA

View Full Version : Case Gauging with Lead bullets

jeep45238
05-01-2016, 04:32 PM
BLUF - is there a case gauge for 9mm with oversized cast bullets?

I have some lead bullets that I stumbled across when I moved and set everything back up, several years old. Assembled and case gauged, about 1450 of them no problem. Noticed last time I was at the range with them that I had one keyhole and more leading than I remembered last time I shot cast lead bullets. Last time was years and years back with a .45acp 1911 using 200 grain lead semi wadcutters. This time it's 127 grain trunticated cone in 9mm.

I'm using a Beretta 92G and Sig P225. Barrels slug out to .357 OD in the Beretta and .3565 OD in the Sig, .349 in the grooves. I pulled some off the old ammo and found the bullets to be sized at .355, so I obviously am going to have some problems with leading and accuracy for about 1450 rounds. Oh well, I'm not pulling nearly 1500 rounds for a slightly undersized bullet and recasting everything, etc. etc..

I fired up the melting pot and started casting my next batch of bullets, turned the heat up higher and had a hotter mold. Bullets are measuring at .358-.360 depending how I hold the calipers and what axis I measure on the bullet. Molds are Lee 6 cavity 125 grain truncated cone, alloy is wheel weights with an ending weight of 127 grain, water dropped out of the mold, but unsure of hardness. Tumble lube. Obviously I'm going to have much better rifling engagement and accuracy with these bullets, hopefully a lot less leading as well. I'm using just enough crimp to remove the bell from seating the bullet. Dies are Hornady, seating and crimping on seperate stations, no full cartridge sizing die being or undersized sizing die used.

I had a feeling these wouldn't pass the case gauge, and sure enough they don't even drop into the holes. The case mouth is too large from the oversized bullet to fit in the gauge. They load in the mag just fine and the guns hand cycle just fine, which I know is what matters. But is there a case gauge out there for use with ammo that is using cast bullets that are .002-.003 oversized from standard plated diameters?

Jim Watson
05-01-2016, 04:55 PM
I do not know of one.
I had one gauge recut with the same reamer used on the chamber of that custom gun, but that was a one-off.

Most folks just "plunk test" such ammo in the barrel, clean and out of the gun.

deputyG23
05-01-2016, 05:04 PM
I do not know of one.
I had one gauge recut with the same reamer used on the chamber of that custom gun, but that was a one-off.

Most folks just "plunk test" such ammo in the barrel, clean and out of the gun.
Plunk test is what I did when I bought and used 127 grain FP Dardas 9mm bullets sized .357 in a Beretta 92FC, SIG P228, and Glocks 17 and 19.
Accuracy was good, no leading was evident in either Glock or the Beretta. The SIG exhibited slight leading.
I used mixed brass for this and had issues with failures to chamber with the G17. Being too lazy to sort brass by head stamp for pistol rounds, I reverted to plated 124 grain bullets sized .356. No more FTC and less dirty guns.