PDA

View Full Version : Help me with suppressor choice for mk18 upper

ffhounddog
04-30-2016, 06:47 AM
I have a mk18 upper with A2 flash hider on it and I am finally getting around to changing mounts. Kids are starting to sleep some.

I have 3 mount options for this mk18 upper,

Dead Air Sandman-S I have a 5.56 flash hider, I bought two the other is on my PWS Mk107. (7.75 inch barrel) (does getting the 556 endcap really work better, I don't know but the Sandman is going to be 5.56 for a long time with me, it might be an investment.

Silencer Co SpecWar K I have one at home and another pending. I love that little can with a ASR Flash Hider, my Hybrid should be aporoved next month as well.

Or the old Standby the Gemtech G5 I have used since 2009/2010. I have some 16 inch guns I want to replace flash hiders to use my SpecWar K with. Its just the SpecwarK is 5 ozs lighter but will have extra mounts for the G5. Some no longer produces like the PWS FSC Gemtech device and Jake Brake.

My homegun right now is a LWRCi M6A2 10.5 with Gemtech mount but I am thinking of switching that to a Dead Air or SiCo to save weight. The Peq-15 and scout light and short stroke piston add weight.

voodoo_man
04-30-2016, 08:58 AM
I have a g5t with the Gemtech 556 SBC on my 10.3 barreled SBR and I gata say, it's quite and very controllable.

Casey
05-01-2016, 05:36 PM
I have a g5t with the Gemtech 556 SBC on my 10.3 barreled SBR and I gata say, it's quite and very controllable.

No issues with inconsistent zero shift? I'm getting ready to dive into NFA and my suppressor research hasn't been favorable toward Gemtech.

ffhounddog
05-01-2016, 08:25 PM
minimal on my gemtech G5 on m4 and standard barrels. It is more on my pencil barrels. Part of the reason why I got the specwarK at the time.

voodoo_man
05-02-2016, 04:29 PM
No issues with inconsistent zero shift? I'm getting ready to dive into NFA and my suppressor research hasn't been favorable toward Gemtech.

I've yet to see it, though I know it exists...

I run a 100m zero on my 10.3 barreled suppressed sbr and even with an MRO it's pretty damn accurate, zero stays consistent.

Casey
05-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Interesting. I'm leaning heavily toward SureFire, more on account of muzzle device selection than anything else, but they're tough to find for sale compared to GT. The search continues...

Clusterfrack
05-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Interesting. I'm leaning heavily toward SureFire, more on account of muzzle device selection than anything else, but they're tough to find for sale compared to GT. The search continues...

Yes. Muzzle device selection is as important as the suppressor. In my experience, inconsistent POI shift is usually due to a bad QD mount. For example, the AAC 18t was especially crappy, and the 51t isn't 100% either.

I'm quite happy with SF, but there are other solid, reliable systems as well.

JSGlock34
05-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Who made your MK18 upper? Is it a 10.3" or 10.5"? My Noveske 10.5" MK18 was way overgassed and would not run suppressed reliably, which was disappointing as I very much like the MK18 configuration.

Clusterfrack
05-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Who made your MK18 upper? Is it a 10.3" or 10.5"? My Noveske 10.5" MK18 was way overgassed and would not run suppressed reliably, which was disappointing as I very much like the MK18 configuration.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my Mk18 upper is an LMT and it runs great suppressed and unsuppressed with 5.56 ammo. (It doesn't run well with PMC .223 puppy loads).

Schmetallurgy
07-19-2016, 12:26 AM
I have a 10.5" Noveske CL with SLR adjustable GB, and I'm loving the Surefire SOCOM RC2 on a Warcomp, which is a phenominal flashhider and very effective yet non-blasty compensator. Zero complaints.

ffhounddog
07-19-2016, 06:10 AM
My 10.5 is a LMT.

Unobtanium
07-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Yes. Muzzle device selection is as important as the suppressor. In my experience, inconsistent POI shift is usually due to a bad QD mount. For example, the AAC 18t was especially crappy, and the 51t isn't 100% either.

I'm quite happy with SF, but there are other solid, reliable systems as well.

I think the barrel itself, or maybe the barrel and upper as a whole, is what matters. I had a 10.5" from Noveske that gave me an 8MOA POI shift with my SF can. The SAME CAN on another rifle gave 2-4MOA depending on ammo used. So, I threw the can and Noveske upper in a box, and shipped it off to Surefire. They shot my can A TON on all sorts of rifles at Surefire, and they tried every mount they had (variation thereof, FH, MB, etc.) on my Noveske upper with both my can, and other cans. Same massive POI shift. They pin-gauged it. It was okay. They did all sorts of things to figure out WTF. Never could figure it out.

So when someone says "X can has X shift", I take it as only meaningful for THAT WEAPON/CAN AS A SYSTEM.

That said, I really like the various warcomps that Surefire has, and the closed-tine warcomp is sex! The SOCOM cans endured the most grueling military suppressor trial in history, and together, those things are part of what sold me on the SF system. If I were going below 12.5", I would get a full-size socom. If I were going 12.5, I would go full-size, or mini, I'm not sure. Above 12.5", I would most definitely go SF mini SOCOM. Either Warcomp works, but I like the CT design as it's lighter, and doesn't ring, and the porting is left/right neutral (the regular WC is biased).