PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos! Got Some? Want Some? Discuss.

Chance
04-28-2016, 04:13 PM
Curious to hear what members here have, or think, about tattoos. I have a few ideas for myself, one of which might make for a graduation present. Share photos: what's the design, what's the history, and what was the experience getting it?

Wondering Beard
04-28-2016, 04:17 PM
I have none, didn't earn them.

Also, as I look at my middle aged body today, I'm glad I didn't try to get any when I was younger.

BehindBlueI's
04-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Have two. Not in the market for more, but wouldn't change the ones I have.

ReverendMeat
04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
I have quite a few, including one very large one that I got on impulse of something that has no deep, personal meaning whatsoever. Don't regret any of them yet.

Been going through some shit in my life the past few months and ended up getting them regularly as kind of a therapy to avoid thinking about self harm and other things.

Bigguy
04-28-2016, 04:35 PM
I've got my wife's portrait on my left shoulder. Usually hidden by clothing. My wive has several. I designed all of them.

Paltares8
04-28-2016, 05:59 PM
I kind of regret not getting any yet. Always wanted to, but money went in other directions. I would still like to get some, though probably not as many as I once wanted. My wife has a few. We were a little worried about the stigma of "young parents with tattoos/peircings/ long hair, etc." but we haven't really experienced anything like that. I guess it's a lot more common today.

Rich@CCC
04-28-2016, 07:06 PM
I've got quite a few. Some done by close friends. Some done by gifted strangers. Some done by not so gifted, not so close friends and strangers. Only one that I regret, but I ain't losing any sleep over it.

One day I'll finish my back piece, maybe. I tend to get them now as reminders of cusp decisions in my life. When I was younger, I was going for the "cool" factor.

breakingtime91
04-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I have quite a few. All of them are covered by a short sleeve shirt to stay professional and all are family and service based.

trailrunner
04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
I have two. The first one I got with my adult daughter in England. I designed it myself with a bicycling theme. I got my second one about six months ago, also with my daughter, and also with a bicycling theme. I don't regret either one, although the first one turned out to be not the highest quality and I should have gotten someone who could have done a better job. Both of mine are on my upper back and aren't normally visible unless it's summer and I'm running in a singlet. As far as the experience goes - it's not especially pleasant, but mine weren't especially painful, except for a couple of moments when the needle went the wrong way (or something, I'm not sure). While I was waiting to get my first one, the artist described it as having a cat scratching you continuously.

Chance
04-28-2016, 08:48 PM
My SO's upper back. An amalgamation of her family's crest from Holland. Got it in one sitting. It looks a little smooshed, but that's just the camera angle. From Randy Adam's Tattoo in Ft. Worth.

Lyonsgrid
04-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Two for me...both USMC related.
No regrets.

ReverendMeat
04-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Two for me...both USMC related.
No regrets.

One of these by any chance?

http://terminallance.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Strip-21_TATTOO-IMAGE-FILE_small.jpg

Maple Syrup Actual
04-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Have many, some dating from my time as a street kid. One was done with a thumb tack. It took two hours and it's the size of a quarter. Miserable.

I'd do them all differently today but I don't really care.

I'm hoping to get a back piece laid on one of these days but there's a lot of other priorities. I've been intending to do it for at least fifteen years so apparently it's a low priority. And no artist wants to get stuck doing a giant ink blot,which is what I want.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
04-28-2016, 09:39 PM
I've got two currently but I'm always in the market for some more. I just haven't come up with any ideas worth going through with in a long time. I would also like to get the poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley tattooed on me, possibly on my ribs. Both of my current ones are covered by a t-shirt and the rest likely will because a lot of agencies still won't allow full sleeves. Also, I have a REALLY thin build and I'm afraid sleeves would look ridiculous.

Be warned, I've found tattoos quite addictive so if you don't have any yet and you only want one, there's a chance you'll end up with a few more down the road.

ReverendMeat
04-28-2016, 10:10 PM
DanM, that poem sounds awesome, you should do it. And same as you all mine are covered up in a t-shirt, except for one on my arm that peeks out a little.

And you're totally right about them being addictive. After I got my first the artist told me the same thing. For the first one it's like a big deal and takes a lot of planning and forethought, but after that it was no big deal to me and I got whatever I felt like at the time. I'm pretty sure the giant Cthulhu on my back won't bother me when I'm old and in a nursing home, I'll have bigger things to worry about by then, so there goes that argument.

Maple Syrup Actual
04-28-2016, 10:29 PM
I've known some pretty old tattooed people. They usually forgot they had tattoos until somebody brought it up. Then they'd laugh and go into some awesome story about Shanghai or something.

Never met anyone with a lot of ink that wasn't OBVIOUSLY a bad idea, like facial tattoos, that had much in the way of regrets. People have been getting tattooed for thousands of years. It's the rule, not the exception.

Luke
04-29-2016, 06:06 AM
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/E439672A-E379-4BE5-B82C-B5C5E4BBD7E2_zpszvxq168a.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/E439672A-E379-4BE5-B82C-B5C5E4BBD7E2_zpszvxq168a.jpg.html)

Picture taken this week from the Bahamas.

No regrats bruh!! Left arm is about 60% done. Still a good bit of shading and color to go. Then gonna do the right arm or a leg.

walker2713
04-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Maybe it's a generational thing...I have none, and admit that I just don't get the whole tattoo thing.....

All three of our daughters have at least one.

Different strokes for different folks.

George

Gray222
04-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Zero.

Where I come from only whores and criminals have ink.

I'd also like to be buried in the same dirt as the rest of my family, so I cannot do that if I have ink.

Makes the job easier too.

olstyn
04-29-2016, 06:48 AM
Maybe it's a generational thing...I have none, and admit that I just don't get the whole tattoo thing.....

I've never actually wanted any myself, but I love the art and always enjoy looking at the ones that other people have. I don't think it's generational, though; I've met people of all ages who have them, and as misanthropist said, people have been getting tattoos for thousands of years.

orionz06
04-29-2016, 07:09 AM
None but I have a few things I've wanted for 10+ years now and have had a hard time finding an artist I liked.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

NorthernHeat
04-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Full back done and full sleeve is 90% done. Just have to connect them up on my shoulder/collar bone area.

Have to cover them at work, but I found an artist in DFW that is great so its worth it.

rob_s
04-29-2016, 08:07 AM
I have several, don't really regret any of them per se, but probably would get none if starting today at 41 years old. Got my first at 18, still in high school, and it caused quite a scandal. times have, clearly, changed.

Since I already have... I dunno 10 or so, I keep considering more. Why not, at this point? But, again, I wouldn't start from clean skin today and go start getting tattoos.

orionz06
04-29-2016, 08:10 AM
If any mine would be covered with a polo shirt. Maybe exposed if I stretched out.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Chance
04-29-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the giant Cthulhu on my back won't bother me when I'm old and in a nursing home, I'll have bigger things to worry about by then, so there goes that argument.

You have Cthulhu on your back? You have to post a picture!

Peally
04-29-2016, 08:26 AM
None here, and I prefer none or very few on women. Always came across to me as someone doodling on something that's pretty all on its own.

This is Murica though so if you want em more power to you, I just won't buy you dinner :D

TiroFijo
04-29-2016, 08:35 AM
None, and I much prefer it that way.

Rich@CCC
04-29-2016, 08:44 AM
How do you know that?;)

rob_s
04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
If any mine would be covered with a polo shirt. Maybe exposed if I stretched out.

Virtually all of mine are covered by a polo shirt, save one memorial tattoo on the inside of my right wrist. I do have some on my calves, but obviously those only show in shorts, so I'm pretty well covered at work. Being in the construction business it's probably more common to see folks, even owners and execs, with ink since there is a strong tie to the trades.

Hizzie
04-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Only scars. Always wanted a tattoo. Haven't found anything I wanted forever.

Luke
04-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Your thinking about it too much. Just go get one :)

Peally
04-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Careful, that's how you get a dolphin tramp stamp.

ssb
04-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Zero.

Where I come from only whores and criminals have ink.

I'd also like to be buried in the same dirt as the rest of my family, so I cannot do that if I have ink.

Makes the job easier too.

What's the deal with the no tattoos/no burial thing? Religious issue?

JAD
04-29-2016, 09:03 AM
I am often tempted, but I have never thought of anything that was serious enough to etch into my skin, that wasn't too serious to etch into my skin.

rob_s
04-29-2016, 09:15 AM

First thing I thought of
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-evan-moffic/can-jews-have-tattoos_b_5484367.html

I lived near a Jewish cemetery down here years ago and I know they had a "no ink" policy. I don't think it's as strictly adhered to anymore, just like the sliding scale of most organized religions these days.

rob_s
04-29-2016, 09:18 AM
I am often tempted, but I have never thought of anything that was serious enough to etch into my skin, that wasn't too serious to etch into my skin.

That's my thought as well at this point. most people start out with their first one, or two, or ten, thinking they have some sort of deep meaning, or mark some milestone, or some other sort of touchy-feely thing. The various tattoo shows seemed to encourage this idea where every person that walked onto the set of "XYZ Ink" told some fabulous story, and the tattooist played the part of healer/confidant/shrink/bartender and listened to their sob story.

once you get past all that it's pretty much a body decoration, no more, no less. So after a while, at least for me, since I'm already a dirty inky I might as well just get shit that I think looks cool.

Sometimes a tattoo is just a tattoo.

Mitch
04-29-2016, 09:19 AM
I have a half sleeve and a small tattoo on my chest. I'm getting the half sleeve turned into a full sleeve this summer.

I just wear long sleeves at work to cover them up, it's really not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be as long as you keep them off obvious places like your neck and face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gray222
04-29-2016, 09:25 AM

I don't do religion, it's more of a cultural thing

Luke
04-29-2016, 11:09 AM
That's my thought as well at this point. most people start out with their first one, or two, or ten, thinking they have some sort of deep meaning, or mark some milestone, or some other sort of touchy-feely thing. The various tattoo shows seemed to encourage this idea where every person that walked onto the set of "XYZ Ink" told some fabulous story, and the tattooist played the part of healer/confidant/shrink/bartender and listened to their sob story.

once you get past all that it's pretty much a body decoration, no more, no less. So after a while, at least for me, since I'm already a dirty inky I might as well just get shit that I think looks cool.

Sometimes a tattoo is just a tattoo.

This times 11. So many people think you have to have some sob story. Which is fine if you do, my wife has a piece on her foot of different things from people close to her that passed away. My artist hates the sentimental stuff. I just like tattoos. The first stuff I got I got because I thought it meant something.. Those are the ones I regret. Guess which ones I don't regret? The ones where I walk in not knowing what I want and I just see what my artist feels like doing. The key is to have someone talented.. If you have QUALITY work it won't matter what it is, you'll like it.

ReverendMeat
04-29-2016, 12:45 PM
You have Cthulhu on your back? You have to post a picture!

Took a minute to find one, taken in 2007:

Bomb's Away tattoo in Jacksonville, NC. I really like the wings but I kinda wish it had a tail. Also wish it was doing something rather than just floating there, but oh well.

Sal Picante
04-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Look at this f*@king moron!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/10501921_10204618080358900_3837092119277860648_n.j pg

45dotACP
04-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Rod of Asclepius on my upper chest...because healthcare.

...and also because working in healthcare and getting a caduceus tattoo is like getting "no regerts" tattooed on your forehead. A sign that you didn't do your homework ;)

I wanted to see how I liked ink. I don't mind it. Might add to it later

Sal Picante
04-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Rod of Asclepius on my upper chest...because healthcare.

...and also because working in healthcare and getting a caduceus tattoo is like getting "no regerts" tattooed on your forehead. A sign that you didn't do your homework ;)

I wanted to see how I liked ink. I don't mind it. Might add to it later

That is one of my wife's pet peeves: Asclepius vs Caduceus... #guineawormFTW

Chance
04-29-2016, 01:53 PM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/731798/PF/10501921_10204618080358900_3837092119277860648_n.j pg

I know, right? Tube socks, and shorts? Ew.

Surf
04-29-2016, 02:00 PM
I have a few and all are culturally related and quite common for Polynesian peoples. I have one tattoo that is a memorial for one of my best friends and training partner that was killed OTJ, but it still has a cultural motif. I got all of my tattoo's (except the memorial) more than 20 years ago when it wasn't as commonplace in society like it is today. I had always planned to continue with more but it started to become a "cool kid" kind of thing which killed it for me as I tend to go in opposite directions.

I never did anything that a polo and long pants couldn't cover, because I did feel that I would like to be able to look professional when necessary, but I do live in an area where shorts and tank tops are common and I tend to live in them when not working. I admit that I don't look too friendly when dressed that way.

Will I get more? Perhaps, but I just don't seem to have the time or desire at the moment. Maybe I can get more tatts and grow a beard back when them bearded, tatted, skinny pant wearing types move on.

Chance
04-29-2016, 03:03 PM
My first jiu-jitsu coach had a tattoo on his shoulder that I thought was amazing. He was doing no-holds-barred stuff back before MMA was legal in most of the US. He was a sheriff's deputy, worked on the streets and in the jails, and did the cage fighting thing on the side. He is extraordinarily humble, and one of the most genuine and warm human beings I've ever met, but also the kind of guy that will fuck you up if you earned it. I consider myself privileged to know him.

He had a tattoo of 'The Flintstones' character Bam Bam on his arm. It fits his personality perfectly, and remains one of the most honest tattoos I've ever seen.

BobLoblaw
04-29-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't trust anyone (including myself) enough to decorate me for life. I do like the idea of a tattoo but my interests change overnight and the perfectionist side of me would go ballistic over a noticeable flaw. It's just easier to admire others' ink.

TAZ
04-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Have thought about it over the years, bun ever found anything worthy of a life long commitment (art wise that is). Now it would just be a midlife crisis thing.

JAD
04-29-2016, 03:40 PM
One of my favorite short stories:
http://www.carletonhigh.com/images/pdffiles/skin.pdf

Luke
04-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Is this you?

23JAZ
04-29-2016, 03:59 PM

Jewish buddy of mine said the same thing. If you have tats you can't be buried with your family. His dad was pretty pissed when he got one.

98z28
04-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Just one for me. My wife and I got wedding right tattoos this year. We will be married 14 years this summer. We've been through some stuff, like any couple who's been married for a while, but there's no real story behind the tattoos . Just thought it was a cool thing to do.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/18dbb0d4fd189a4c158b928e65d2b43d.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/a0182a25b180f9f6141e0226bdd45096.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/6206f307569619d3ad813c0ef60eae12.jpg

Luke
04-29-2016, 05:15 PM
That's awesome man. I wanted to get a wedding ring tattoo but still haven't.

Sal Picante
04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Is this you?

With the socks and white shoes...

Luke
04-29-2016, 05:49 PM
With the socks and white shoes...

Don't lie to me.. I emailed SNS saying you told me they were awesome and I wanted a case but there website said out of stock.. We're like family now. I was even going to use your 5% discount code!

Need more details and picture please! How much are you doing?

SeriousStudent
04-29-2016, 06:21 PM

Yup, only have scar tissue here, no tattoos.

I had enough problems with uninvited folks altering my skin, without encouraging people via payments.

TGS
04-29-2016, 06:57 PM
I had enough problems with uninvited folks altering my skin, without encouraging people via payments.

Dude.

There's so many ways to run with this statement.

;)

WobblyPossum
04-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Jewish buddy of mine said the same thing. If you have tats you can't be buried with your family. His dad was pretty pissed when he got one.

It's not so much Jewish law as it's the policy of a whole lot of Jewish cemeteries and the folks who run them. There's nothing in Jewish law that says you can't be tatted up AND buried in a Jewish cemetery but that doesn't do you much good if the folks are buried in a cemetery that won't allow you to be buried with them out of policy. My parents were pretty ticked when I got my first tattoo in college but they also understand I want to be cremated so the whole burial thing is a moot point.

SeriousStudent
04-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Dude.

There's so many ways to run with this statement.

;)

People with knives and no medical training make shitty cosmetic surgeons.

rob_s
05-02-2016, 08:42 AM
I just wear long sleeves at work to cover them up, it's really not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be as long as you keep them off obvious places like your neck and face.

I think that's largely industry/regional dependent. It has certainly gained acceptance over the years since I got my first one, but there are still businesses and areas of the country where it would be less appropriate and/or may impact career options. And just because one can wear long-sleeves at the office doesn't mean you won't look silly at the company picnic in 97 degree weather wearing your track-suit to try and hide the ink.

One thing I can't stand, however, is the people that alter their appearance voluntarily but then cry and moan when they get "discriminated against" for their appearance. This isn't the same thing as being black or born handicapped, this is a choice I made to alter my appearance and if I don't like how people react to it that's my problem not theirs.

pcanzac
05-02-2016, 09:23 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160502/be689b0aec8546333a11a3fa6eab5f96.jpg

Luke
05-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Soooooo much pain, awesomeness, time, and money went into that.

Drang
05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
I know, right? Tube socks, and shorts? Ew.

Man, why you gotta be a hater?

ETA: Never had any desire to get a tattoo, part of it's the "marked for life" thing, part of it is the thought of paying some stranger to poke me with a needle, repeatedly...

Then, one day we were researching international gangs as threats to national security, and we got this awesome poster of Russian prison tattoos...

Sal Picante
05-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Don't lie to me.. I emailed SNS saying you told me they were awesome and I wanted a case but there website said out of stock.. We're like family now. I was even going to use your 5% discount code!

Need more details and picture please! How much are you doing?

It's done for now - Might do some more, but we'll see... I've got a few more little ones ... I tend to keep 'em covered up, but when it is hot out, meh.

rcbusmc24
05-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Now that the Marine Corps is regularly denying reenlistment to SNCOs due to poor tattoo documentation when they changed the regs a few years ago Im glad I don't have any. I'm an anomoly amongst my SNCO peer group though as most have many, but some of them may not be able to make it to retirement now because of them....... oh well.

Drang
05-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Now that the Marine Corps is regularly denying reenlistment to SNCOs due to poor tattoo documentation when they changed the regs a few years ago Im glad I don't have any. I'm an anomoly amongst my SNCO peer group though as most have many, but some of them may not be able to make it to retirement now because of them....... oh well.

I decided to retire when they started doing tattoo checks at Ft Lewis, and then "upgraded" the regs to ban certain tattoos (based largely on placement), and also piercings.

Sal Picante
05-02-2016, 03:05 PM
Man, why you gotta be a hater?

Lol!

ETA: Never had any desire to get a tattoo, part of it's the "marked for life" thing, part of it is the thought of paying some stranger to poke me with a needle, repeatedly...

Google "Kim Saigh": she was the responsible one ... It was a great time, her poking me. (are we not "doing" Phrasing anymore?)

Also, Google "Solokill" while you're there...

will_1400
05-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Here's my ink. The premise behind it was having always wanted a tattoo and the design was based on tattoos worn by a favorite character in a sci-fi gaming franchise of mine (points to whoever recognizes the tattoo and names the character who wore it in the game). It was mostly a spur of the moment kind of thing, but now I think I'm going to get inked for every time I find myself at a new permanent duty station. If nothing else it'll help me remember where I've been and served honorably. I'll keep it professional and such, but I want something more tangible than memories that fade to chronicle my service though the various tattoos I get will need some explaining when it's time to talk about ink.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t273/karasu_1400/Mobile%20Uploads/1462225123773_zpscv6nnvk0.jpg

ReverendMeat
05-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Jack from Mass Effect! What do I win?

ubervic
05-02-2016, 05:25 PM
I've evolved, over the past 4 years or so, from viewing tattoos as some sort of counter-culture rebellion to a deeply personal and beautiful art form.

I haven't gone under the needle yet only because I tend to change my mind on things and do NOT want to make a (semi) permanent mistake. My leaning is to do something to honor and revere my two girls.

Hambo
05-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Well, body art would only detract from how seriously fucking cool I am, so there's that. Then in a choice between tattoos or guns/ammo, guns/ammo always wins.

Dagga Boy
05-02-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm on the metallic objects should not enter the human body voluntarily category. With that said, it took me almost 50 years to figure out what I wanted on me forever, and now I don't know if its worth the pain or effort.....or the example to my kid.

Odin Bravo One
05-04-2016, 01:20 PM
I have one tattoo, in two locations. My son's birth footprints on the tops of my feet.

imp1295
05-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Here. My left arm after just getting finished. It took nearly three years to complete going back and forth to State of Grace in California. I finished it just before the previous Sergeant Major of the Army pushed to change the tattoo policy. It's a Genbu - represents Tamoten, the Buddhist patron of Warriors. I guess I won't be in the Army forever. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/8cc9243339fb4c661b1b7ee3eddf2d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ameliasmith11
02-09-2024, 01:09 PM
Here. My left arm after just getting finished. It took nearly three years to complete going back and forth to State of Grace in California. I finished it just before the previous Sergeant Major of the Army pushed to change the tattoo policy. It's a Genbu - represents Tamoten, the Buddhist patron of Warriors. I guess I won't be in the Army forever. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/8cc9243339fb4c661b1b7ee3eddf2d1d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, that's truly impressive! Your dedication and commitment to completing your left arm tattoo over three years is remarkable. The symbolism behind the Genbu representing Tamoten, the Buddhist patron of Warriors, adds depth and meaning to your artwork. It must have been quite the journey to have it done at State of Grace in California. It's a shame about the changes in the tattoo policy, but your tattoo will forever stand as a testament to your perseverance and the values it represents.