PDA

View Full Version : Safes

Odin Bravo One
10-25-2011, 10:12 AM
It has become apparent that I have managed to grow out of my current safe. I am currently looking to upgrade to a Liberty Franklin 50, which I hope is large enough to grow into for another few years until I build a vault room.

My requirements are fairly straight forward......needs to secure my collection from unauthorized users, give me a fighting chance in the event of a fire, hold at least 50 pieces of hardware, and that's about it.

Anyone have a reason I should not buy this safe? Or is there a better bang for my buck out there? My only experience with safe buying came from my initial purchase of the current Liberty Colonial several years ago, when it was what I could afford at the time, exceeded my capacity needs by a ton, and was local.

Thanks.

JV_
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
FWIW: The bigger safes are much harder to maneuver through hallways and stairs, especially stairs with turns at the bottom or top. I had to get a smaller safe than I wanted because of that.

Odin Bravo One
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
It's going in the dining room. Figure if I buy high enough bar stools, I could eat on it too............

TAP
10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a Franklin 35. I have been happy with it too. I just wish I had more room.

Is your floor a concrete slab on grade? A fully loaded 50 can be pretty heavy. If you are on wood joists you may need to look at beefing up the sub floor unless you are close to the supports.

Odin Bravo One
10-25-2011, 04:07 PM
It's over 1k empty..........so I can imagine it will get heavy once the goods go inside.

It is slab concrete floor. The current safe would probably break a wood floor.

longball
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
My only suggestion would be to spring for the optional D lock (electronic). One of Liberty's employees told me just a few days ago that they have the same return rates as their mechanical lock so reliability isn't an issue. They have some other cool features I can explain later if you'd like to pm me (it'd take too long to type on my phone).

SmokeJumper
10-26-2011, 07:36 PM
It's going in the dining room. Figure if I buy high enough bar stools, I could eat on it too............

Another vote for the Liberty Safes, great long standing, durable product. And I'm using your above quote for my reasoning in purchasing another gun safe when I pitch it to the Mrs.!

Odin Bravo One
10-26-2011, 11:28 PM
SJ,

careful with the sales pitch................tread lightly. And I wouldn't suggest quoting me..............

There is a reason why my dining room is empty and has room for a 50 gun safe, and it's not because I like eating on the floor.

Thanks for all the input guys. Pretty much convinced me of my decision. As always it is great to have a group of guys knowledgeable on pretty much every aspect of this world that I am completely ignorant of.

EDITED TO ADD:

But now that I think about it........what about the FATBOY line? My local shops website lists it as a Franklin Series Fatboy. Do they have the same features? It is about 12 inches shorter, which will make finding bar stool easier. It also weighs a couple hundred pounds less thus making it a little more friendly to move, also holds a few more guns as the width is a little larger. But does it come with the external 110v outlets? Internal LED's? Door accessory panel? I am not finding much info on either the local dealer site, or the Liberty main site and my connection is about maxed out on this forum without pictures......getting into these high res photo websites and the machine just locks up.

longball
10-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Sean,
I think I can help. PM inbound.

Odin Bravo One
10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks LB...........

Dagga Boy
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Another option is to get two smaller safes with doors that open opposite. Then have them drilled and bolted together on the inside. It allows for easier moving for you, but near impossible to get out of the house by thieves.

Wheeler
10-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Another option is to get two smaller safes with doors that open opposite. Then have them drilled and bolted together on the inside. It allows for easier moving for you, but near impossible to get out of the house by thieves.

Or just wall in your dining room...

LOKNLOD
10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
More smaller safes also multiplies the time it would take to break and enter the safes on location, making it harder to get all your stuff and extending their chance to get caught in the act. I've got two small safes in a space where I couldn't have put a single larger safe even if it was the same size.

Spr1
10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Or just wall in your dining room...

A friend tried that a few years back. It is amazing how fast thieves can leave your house with your safe and a section of wall given the right tools.

JeffJ
10-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't know much about safes but though that I would mention this. I have a separate rider on my renter's insurance (works the same way with homeowner's) for firearms. I don't have anywhere near the amount of guns that you do but the rider costs me about $30 a year and covers all my firearms from first dollar. So if they're stolen, even including my CCW that I left in the car to go to the post office, they pay replacement cost from first dollar - no deductible.

Obviously insurance shouldn't be your only plan and can't replace things with sentimental value. But it is important to look into as most renter's or homeowner's polices have limits that won't touch your replacement costs if you need a safe that big.

Odin Bravo One
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I have pretty much settled on the Liberty Fat Boy, thanks to Longballer and his detailed assistance.