PDA

View Full Version : Denver RFI

johncorey
04-24-2016, 05:13 PM
So I will be moving to the Mile High City sometime this summer for school. I would be very appreciative of any and all information with regard to all things shooting, IE indoor/outdoor ranges, IDPA/Steel Challenge/USPSA matches + clubs, or anything else which I would find useless and relevant outside of those parameters. I tend to not be the biggest fan of indoor ranges, but given the climate I understand that to be an absolute for roughly half the year. I'm all ears, thanks in advance!

taadski
04-24-2016, 05:57 PM
These ought to be of some use for ya...

http://www.ecouspsa.com/clubs.html

http://184.106.252.226/FRIDPA_PreferredLinks.htm

t

johncorey
04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks. Any personal pros/cons with any from the lists?

taadski
04-24-2016, 07:49 PM
I live on the Western slope and most of my local month to month shooting is over there. But I visit and shoot on the front range occasionally when traveling through, visiting friends or shooting one of the state/regional matches. I can tell you most of the clubs listed on the USPSA side are pretty squared away. Several host annual level II matches in addition to their monthly ones and have very experienced MDs, staff, etc...

Weld County Practical Shooters hosts the Rocky Mountain 300 annually.

High Plains Practical Shooters is home to the Mile High Showdown.

The Colorado State Championships and the Colorado Multi-gun Championships are currently hosted at the Colorado Rifle Club out in Byers.

Pueblo West has a pretty active club and hosts some pretty big name instructors annually.

I've not shot there personally, but Clear Creek is also reported to put on a good (USPSA) match. I have a few buddies that shoot there pretty regularly during the summer.

Those are a few examples for ya, anyway. For current info, there's also a google group for eastern slope shooting news, match announcements, results, etc...

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/ecouspsa

Hope that helps. If ya get out to the western half of the state, drop me a note and we'll get ya fixed up out here. ;)

t

johncorey
04-24-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that rundown. Much appreciated. I'll be happy to take you up on that offer if/when I meander out there! HPG owes me a special serape, so I may just have to make the drive to collect on it.

taadski
04-24-2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that rundown. Much appreciated. I'll be happy to take you up on that offer if/when I meander out there! HPG owes me a special serape, so I may just have to make the drive to collect on it.

Scott shoots at one of our local clubs occasionally. He's a good dude.

SLG
04-24-2016, 08:20 PM
JC,

I've not spent much time in Denver, so I can't be much help other than to say, definitely stay away from that Taadski guy!

johncorey
04-24-2016, 08:57 PM
WILCO!

taadski
04-24-2016, 09:16 PM
JC,

I've not spent much time in Denver, so I can't be much help other than to say, definitely stay away from that Taadski guy!

Yeah, that guy's a fucker! And if you're not careful he might take you to his favorite restaurant...

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsrsznbs1x.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsrsznbs1x.jpg.html)

johncorey
04-24-2016, 09:17 PM
So, do they serve any regular fucking food?

FNFAN
04-25-2016, 12:16 AM
You may want to visit here:

https://www.ar-15.co/forums/114-Shooting-Sports-and-Events

Nephrology
04-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Howdy fellow Denver area student. I started up at the CU Anschutz campus last summer and immediately joined the Colorado Rifle Club. Best decision I ever made. It's a little bit of a hike but their facilities are second to none and their membership fees are thoroughly reasonable. Most importantly, they have a series of action pistol bays with 2 buried target stands at the end of each berm, + a table and target stands for your use. I never have a problem getting a free bay and pretty often am the only person there.

johncorey
04-25-2016, 07:44 AM
FNFAN, will check out that link, thanks.

Neph, sounds like a good place to look into, thanks. As I've mentioned in a different thread about range options, seems I've been throughly spoiled over the years with mine. This Rifle Club sounds like it could be right up my alley.

okie john
04-25-2016, 01:14 PM
I may be spending some time there in the next few months. What's the deal on stores? Any good ones near Denver/Longmont/Boulder?

Thanks,

Okie John

iheartglock
04-26-2016, 03:50 PM
I may be spending some time there in the next few months. What's the deal on stores? Any good ones near Denver/Longmont/Boulder?

Thanks,

Okie John

I've visited 5280 Armory a couple times when I was stuck in northern-ish Denver. Employees seemed friendly enough and they have a HUGE selection of firearms. Huge.

JackRock
04-27-2016, 11:54 AM
OP - what area, specifically, are you going to? There are a lot of great options. For example, if you're near West Denver/Lakewood, I'd recommend Bristlecone. If you're a bit more north, 5280 is a fantastic range from all accounts.

SecondsCount
04-27-2016, 12:20 PM
I've visited 5280 Armory a couple times when I was stuck in northern-ish Denver. Employees seemed friendly enough and they have a HUGE selection of firearms. Huge.

I agree. Stopped in there right after they opened in 2014 and they were really nice.

johncorey
04-27-2016, 04:07 PM
OP - what area, specifically, are you going to? There are a lot of great options. For example, if you're near West Denver/Lakewood, I'd recommend Bristlecone. If you're a bit more north, 5280 is a fantastic range from all accounts.

Nice. I'll be in that general area. South of 70, west of 25. I will definitely check out Bristlecone. Having said that, I have no issues with driving a bit to get to a solid range, so that's not really a limiting factor for me.

JackRock
04-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Nice. I'll be in that general area. South of 70, west of 25. I will definitely check out Bristlecone. Having said that, I have no issues with driving a bit to get to a solid range, so that's not really a limiting factor for me.
Feel free to hit me up if you go.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

johncorey
04-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Feel free to hit me up if you go.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'll be there for the next two years starting this summer, so I will definitely do so. Thanks for the offer.

DMF13
04-27-2016, 11:35 PM
I tend to not be the biggest fan of indoor ranges, but given the climate I understand that to be an absolute for roughly half the year. I'm all ears, thanks in advance!In the Denver metro area the winters are actually fairly mild. Aurora PD, Jefferson County SO (and various PDs in the county), and Douglas County (used by many LE agencies in the area) all use outdoor ranges year round. The Aurora Gun Club is very large, outdoors, and used year round, including USPSA matches.

If you're up in the foothills, or farther out on the plains, weather is more of a problem, but in the metro area you can shoot outside year round and rarely have the weather so severe that it inhibits shooting. That said you will probably find more indoor ranges there than outdoor.

The first year I ever skied in Colorado, up in the mountains the temps were in the teens, but down in Denver it was in the 40s, and people were playing golf. That was in February.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/denver/colorado/united-states/usco0105

johncorey
04-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Good to consider. Lots of solid input so far, thanks!

Nephrology
04-28-2016, 05:43 AM
Neph, sounds like a good place to look into, thanks. As I've mentioned in a different thread about range options, seems I've been throughly spoiled over the years with mine. This Rifle Club sounds like it could be right up my alley.

They own 2800 acres out in Byers, of which ~2350 is developed and used for ranges. You won't go wrong.

Re: weather, it depends 100% what kind of car you have and what kind of weather you're willing to shoot in. I'd say that in the not quite 365 days since I moved here, maybe 25-40 max were actually so snowy that it was prohibitive for me to get to the range and use the facilities. The rest of the time it's just a cost-benefit analysis problem.

johncorey
05-03-2016, 03:08 PM
They own 2800 acres out in Byers, of which ~2350 is developed and used for ranges. You won't go wrong.

Re: weather, it depends 100% what kind of car you have and what kind of weather you're willing to shoot in. I'd say that in the not quite 365 days since I moved here, maybe 25-40 max were actually so snowy that it was prohibitive for me to get to the range and use the facilities. The rest of the time it's just a cost-benefit analysis problem.

So I did some initial googling and although it'll be a good hours hike out to the club, it appears that it will be worth it. Thanks for that.

I hear ya on the WX considerations. Obviously, if it's coming down cats and dogs, outside is not a place I wish to be shooting at that time. Denver's "sunny days" index is pretty stellar! I'm getting pumped for the move out West.

johncorey
05-03-2016, 03:10 PM
In the Denver metro area the winters are actually fairly mild. Aurora PD, Jefferson County SO (and various PDs in the county), and Douglas County (used by many LE agencies in the area) all use outdoor ranges year round. The Aurora Gun Club is very large, outdoors, and used year round, including USPSA matches.

If you're up in the foothills, or farther out on the plains, weather is more of a problem, but in the metro area you can shoot outside year round and rarely have the weather so severe that it inhibits shooting. That said you will probably find more indoor ranges there than outdoor.

The first year I ever skied in Colorado, up in the mountains the temps were in the teens, but down in Denver it was in the 40s, and people were playing golf. That was in February.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/denver/colorado/united-states/usco0105

I will certainly check into the Aurora club. It appears to be decently close to my future 'hood. Thanks for the heads up.

hiro
05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Probably the wrong side of town for you but I just picked up the early bird membership ($30/month unlimited shooting between 10 and 5 weekdays, not sure about the weekends) at Shoot Indoors in Broomfield next to the 36. 10 lanes, all indoors so weather is less of an issue. We don't get too much rain here, most of the precipitation falls as snow but the last two summers have been more rain than I was told to expect (I've been here since September 2013).

Josh Runkle
05-03-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm sure there's a nice range buried somewhere deep beneath the Denver Airport ;)