PDA

View Full Version : Leather holster and barrel length?

vaspence
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
So I emailed a custom maker about a leather holster. My original question was would one holster work for both a J frame and an SP-101. He replied no. That's cool, sort of what I expected. I called the shop to order two holsters and was told that ordering a 3 inch J frame holster was not going to be safe for use with shorter barrel lengths. No explanation of why it was a safety issue related to barrel length but to her credit the lady told me to go buy an Uncle Mike's if I wanted a one size fit all. I politely exited the phone call but am curious if those more in the know here would be able to tell me why putting a J frame (2.5 inch 63 vs 3 inch 63 or 642 or 340pd, etc.) in the holster would affect retention. FWIW it's a pancake style holster so no top strap.

Thanks,
Spence

JRCHolsters
10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
The length of the barrel shouldn't be as much of an issue as the possible differences in shape of the two barrels. Depending on solid lug vs open lug, or tapered vs straight barrel. Most of your retention on a molded holster is around the cylinder, trigger guard and frame. If all of these are identical, it should not be a super big issue over 1/2in of barrel.
I am sure that they probably feel the way they do, as once a product leaves your shop, you truly never know what a customer is really going to do (you would be surprised), so they chose to play it safe.

vaspence
10-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the insight, I hadn't given any thought to barrel profile.

High Noon
10-26-2011, 04:45 PM
This may help you out.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#56

Take Care
William

Wheeler
10-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I regularly carry a 3" revolver in a custom made holster for a 4" gun. I've yet to have an issue after 10 years. I would almost think they are trying to sell you another holster.

There is too much frame difference between an SP101 and a J frame for a holster made for one to work with the other.

Edit to add: They may of had a liability concern, but in my opinion that would stem from either a lack of first hand knowledge or having dealt with a customer who tried to use one of their products in a manner in which exceeded the design parameters.