PDA

View Full Version : Non-belt summer carry

gkieser92
04-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Summer is coming up quick, and I am in need of some new holster options. I will be off for the summer with my two boys, which means being much more active than in previous years. I anticipate wearing a lot of athletic clothing every day, which makes my usual strong side IWB impossible due to no belt. I am thinking of a belly band or something similar, such as:
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/products/standard2
https://www.galcogunleather.com/underwraps-belly-band_8_393_1326.html
http://www.pistolwear.com/trump-card-mini-concealment-holster/

Gun is a G27. I will need to wear it under a t-shirt against the skin. It need to hold up against sweat and be stable enough for an active lifestyle, like hiking, bike riding and shooting hoops. I do not plan on jogging with it though.

SLG
04-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Have you considered wearing shorts with belt loops? I have some that are pretty athletic.

Luke
04-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Yea Nike, under armor and a few others have some awesomely thin and stretchy shorts with belt looks. I cannot stand athletic shots due to no button/zipper/belt loops so this is a good compromise. If you have a dicks sporting goods look there!

gkieser92
04-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Trouble is I'm a big guy and most of Nike's stuff doesn't fit unless it is basketball shorts. I will look into it though. Still thinking about the bellybands though. When biking or other activities it may be nice to have the gun tucked up higher under the armpit.

jwperry
04-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Columbia makes a lot of outdoors style clothes with belt loops. That's all I pretty much own; they're great for outdoors activities like when you're on the water as they dry quick, stains come out easy(mud/blood) and they move pretty well.

When I'm wearing board shorts, I'll normally tie the draw string through/around my holster's belt loops(I normally carry AIWB so this is a natural position for me to carry anyways) and go about my day...I just need to remember to keep my shirt on.

LSP552
04-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Columbia makes a lot of outdoors style clothes with belt loops. That's all I pretty much own; they're great for outdoors activities like when you're on the water as they dry quick, stains come out easy(mud/blood) and they move pretty well.

Love Columbia shorts, including their Performance Fishing Gear stuff. Bass Pro also has a wide range of shorts with belt loops. I will also admit to carrying a Tommy's Gun Pack with a G19 inside when in shorts and t-shirt, depending on the setting.

I also have a Dark Star clip holster for a G42 and it works very well in shorts without a belt. It's used a lot as a lounge around combo on the back patio sipping whiskey.

camsdaddy
04-24-2016, 11:36 AM
I often use smartcarry.

orionz06
04-24-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd look into Kuhl (http://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/) shorts and maybe some of the Under Armor stuff.

martin_j001
04-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Also worth mentioning Duluth Trading's DuluthFlex Dry on the Fly shorts. They are the ripstop nylon material with belt loops and offer a good bit of stretch, and in my case fit (me) better than some of the options mentioned above.

I have a friend who very much likes and relies on his belly band when it comes to deeper concealment and mild physical activity.

Trooper224
04-24-2016, 01:33 PM
I'll second Duluth's offerings. I've been satisfied with everything I bought from the company.

TGS
04-24-2016, 02:23 PM
If you're in athletic clothes doing outdoor things, then why not just wear a fanny pack? Added benefit of being able to easily carry your wallet, phone, keys, ect without them digging into you or the weight pulling down your shorts.

Otherwise I'd say belly band or smart carry.

EM_
04-24-2016, 02:39 PM
If you're in athletic clothes doing outdoor things, then why not just wear a fanny pack? Added benefit of being able to easily carry your wallet, phone, keys, ect without them digging into you or the weight pulling down your shorts.

Otherwise I'd say belly band or smart carry.

Never underestimate the power of the fanny pack!!! Worst thing that happens is some folks will think you're a dork. Forget people knowing it's got a gun inside, the only people that think that are gun people.

But also, just buy some shorts with belt loops. I've managed to do some pretty athletic stuff with two small boys with a proper gun carried AIWB and IWB on a proper belt in very hot weather.

I was just at Eddie Bauer in the local mall. Tons of shorts built exactly for outdoor pursuits (albeit lower quality than Kuhl, REI, but you're not summiting Everest) with belt loops in the ~$30 range. Talking performance material and look decent per my wife.

pablo
04-24-2016, 06:20 PM
I use a Crossbreed belly band with a Glock 43 and gym shorts all the time. I wear it on my hips like a belt. I wear so it's just snug enough to not bounce up and down, it's good enough for walking around but much more than that and it starts to move around. I've found that belly band that a tight enough not to move around are just too tight for more than about 30 minutes at a time.