PDA

View Full Version : Week 161: Five Second Standard

Mr_White
04-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Week 161: Five Second Standard

Results may be posted until May 22nd, 2016.

Designed by: Pat McNamara
Range: varies, see below
Target: USPSA Metric
Start Position: varies, see below
Rounds Fired: varies

Set up the target and set the par time for five seconds. Gun starts loaded for all strings.

String 1: Start with gun at ready position of your choice. At the start signal, shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

String 2: Start with the gun holstered. At the start signal, draw and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

String 3: Start with the gun holstered. At the start signal, draw with the strong hand only and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone of the USPSA Metric target.

Shoot strings 1-3 at the 7 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 10 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 15 yard line. If you have all A-zone hits, repeat at the 25 yard line.

See additional comments from Pat McNamara here: http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/07/gunfighter-moment-pat-mcnamara-26/

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
Furthest distance successfully completed
Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Luke
04-22-2016, 11:37 AM
So all 3 strings added together cannot be above 5 seconds?

scw2
04-22-2016, 11:54 AM
From the link provided (http://soldiersystems.net/2015/02/07/gunfighter-moment-pat-mcnamara-26/):

Using my ‘Five Second Standard ‘drill as an example, we should perform fairly consistent with incremental improvements over time. Use IPSC targets and yard markers starting at 7 yards, 10 yards, 15, 20, etc. I call these yard lines ‘levels’.

Set a timer to a five second par time. Start at the 7 yard line (level 1), weapon at a ready position. On the timer’s ‘Beep’, engage your target twice within those five seconds. Next, draw and engage your target twice in five seconds. Next, draw and engage your target twice strong hand only. If all six shots are in the ‘A’ zone, you have graduated level one.

Mr_White
04-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks scw2!

Luke, same as he posted, I understood each string to have its own five second par time.

MVS
04-23-2016, 10:07 AM
G19 w/RMR, Fricke AIWB, pullover
Furthest distance clean was 20 yards. At 25 I had 2C's on the FS portion and one on the SHO. I went ahead and shot at 30 and 35 yards as well only shooting clean from the ready. Even though I had plenty of time, when going from the holster I still felt rushed and this probably contributed to the misses from those distances versus shooting from the ready. SHO misses were just because I stink at it.

Kevin B.
04-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Glock 17, concealed under an open button-down shirt.

I shot it at 7, 10, 15, 20 amd 25. 6 A's At each distance all the way back to the 25 yard line.

Time on the SHO at 25 was 4.97. In under the wire!

41magfan
04-24-2016, 03:18 PM
Ruger LCP
I carry in the front pocket and started with my hand on the gun for the holstered stages. I shot at 7, 10, 15 & 25 yards.
Was shooting clean until the SHO shots at 25 yards.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/924/2tZ6HB.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/po2tZ6HBj)

JHC
04-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Crashed and burned twice. Once with a G19 and once with the SA 9mm 1911. Both times place a SHO outside the Alpha zone at 10 yards. Will revisit this one!

backtrail540
04-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Glock 17 rtf2 concealed under a polo in a Dark Star Gear aiwb

7yds - pass
10yds - pass
15yds - fail

At 15 I didn't utilize my time and shot too fast, a common problem I have and have started working on. I dropped one just into the C zone on each string while making par. Even from the ready I was in a hurry to get nowhere and threw one just into the C zone. You seemingly have all the time in the world but there is still pressure, and I let it get the best of me.

okie john
04-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Pistol: HK VP9
Holster & Concealment: K-Rounds IWB holster under an open-front button-up shirt.
Farthest Distance Passed: 25 yards

Things I learned:

As Mac would put it, "This one reads easy." But it's not.
I shot this test at 7, 15, 25, and 50 yards. I didn't pass any of them on the first try--I let the time pressure get to my head. Five seconds is a lot longer than I'm used to having, so I tended to rush everything. Once I slowed down, I started making good hits AND staying within the par time.
Getting a solid grip during the draw is absolutely essential, and was much harder with my shirt buttoned. When I unbuttoned my shirt, my scores got way better.
The only good thing that happened at 50 yards is that I recovered 100% of my brass.
The "drive-the-dot" sight picture is still a problem.

Okie John

FOG
04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Walther PPS M2 in a Stoner's Leather holster concealed AIWB under a loose fitting pullover.

Clean at 7 and 10 yards but took two tries. 15 yards was a FAIL.

Very new to AIWB carry so I'm very careful drawing (i.e., slow). In that sense, this drill was good because of the long par time.

Also new to me is the PPS, I've only had it for 10 days. Shoots similar to my VP9 but the small size is taking some getting used to.

That Guy
05-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Shot this today at the end of a practice session. I used a Walther P99 with Trijicon HD sights, JMCK IWB holster and a closed front shirt as concealment garment.

7 yard was easy. At 10 yards I yanked a shot, so (embarrassingly) it took two tries. Beyond that, I hadn't measured distances at yards so I moved back to 15 meters (16.4 yards). Unfortunately, in every. Single. Try. I managed to yank one shot outside of the A zone. Did four tries and called it quits.

I was never, except for one bad one-handed draw, anywhere near the par time. All failures were failures to manipulate the trigger cleanly. I had been baked in the surprisingly warm sunshine for a couple of hours at that point and I just lost my concentration. I should be able to do better than this.

NickDrak
05-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used): Agency Arms/SSVi custom G17 w/Trijicon RM06 RMR (3.25moa dot). RCS Eidolon (AIWB) concealed under t-shirt.

Furthest distance successfully completed: 15yds clean/under time. At 20yds I pulled my first shot during the from the draw/holster string into the "C" zone.

Anything you noticed: Should have cleaned @ 20yds but I had a hitch during my draw which helped cause me to drop my first shot.

acpjunkie
05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Equipment, G19 w/ RMR, Blackpoint OWB holster w/no concealment garment.

Was clean to 20 yards, then ganked a SHO shot, knew it when the shot broke. Ran it out to 25 regardless and focused hard on clean trigger breaks.

The RMR makes good shots over 10-15 yards very easy, up close it slows me down when I fight to find the dot, dont think this is new information.

And sorry if this is inappropriate for a first post, was sent here by my pistolero bud

Clobbersaurus
05-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Equipment: Beretta Elite II. Blade-Tech OWB holster and belt.

I crapped out at 10 yards, shanking a SHO shot low left. Pissed, I re-shot it clean, and then cleaned 15 yards. I failed at 25 yards....twice.

Video:

https://youtu.be/l3wDEl3gTkQ

Mr_White
05-09-2016, 02:54 PM
And sorry if this is inappropriate for a first post, was sent here by my pistolero bud

Not at all. Welcome! :)

Clusterfrack
05-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Made it to 25 yds and dropped 2Cs on SHO. All shots fired in under 2.5s each string.

Sig p320 GGI
USPSA Production rig

JHC
05-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Made it to 25 yds and dropped 2Cs on SHO. All shots fired in under 2.5s each string.

Sig p320 GGI
USPSA Production rig

Nice.

I've developed a bit of a knack for SHO and WHO slowfire at 25 yards. Say shooting 5 on a B8 and scoring in the low 40's consistently and regularly mid-high 40's, always with a few 10s. But this drill is eating my lunch when I speed up SHO.

I ran it several times yesterday and after about four tries at 10 yds I finally passed. LOL First shot always alpha, 2nd always charlie due left of the alpha.

Gives me new stuff to work on.

JAD
05-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Wilson CQB Commander .45, blazer brass, polo, milt sparks EX-RSO, B8 repair. Pulled three shots low on the freestyle draw at 15, trying to catch up from a flubbed draw. Went ahead and shot the SHO clean.

Range1
05-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Equipment used: Glock 22 with 9mm conversion, CompTac OWB holster, vest
Furthest distance successfully completed: 25 yards after a few attempts
Anything you noticed: Two handed was relatively easy when the eyes co-operated, one handed needs a lot of work. For the most part had plenty of time just tended to go too fast and did not get good sight focus.

JHC
05-16-2016, 10:42 AM
I worked some on what I FAIL out on yesterday. D2 SHO at 10 yards. I haven't graduated to 15 yards yet. Got my success rate to 87.5%. :D

BN
05-17-2016, 07:58 AM
As Mac would put it, "This one reads easy." But it's not. Okie John

Ha, ha. :) As I found out yesterday.

Gen 3 G-17, Blade-Tech, open carry. 7 yards: fail. Dropped 1 shot SHO.
2nd try: fail at 20 yards. That was a little better.
3rd try: fail at 15 yards.
Switched to Gen 4 G-17,
1st try: fail at 7 yards
2nd try: fail at 15 yards.

I never got even close to using all the time. Just yanking on the trigger and pulling shots left. :(

JHC
05-23-2016, 06:18 AM
All my 5 second standard shooting yesterday was with a Gen 4 G26. I think maybe the incrementally smaller Gen 4 grip might be helpful to me.

I graduated 10 yards yesterday! Yay me. LOL Then I failed at 15. Went to work on my weak spot immediately; D2 SHO at 15 yards and went 11 for 12 alphas there. So my long hard slog goes on.

Beyond the grip on the pistol though I think my biggest learning is to be patient, lock in the best grip on the draw and don't rush those shots. Be deliberate with some sense of urgency.