PDA

View Full Version : Help with selecting a suppressor. Omega, 9K, Optimus, Mask & Micro.

Mike C
04-21-2016, 10:00 PM
After seeing LL'a post and recommendations for the Omega from SilencerCo I've been looking very hard at the Omega, the Omega 9K as well as SilencerCo's Osprey Micro. Lastly I've looked at the Deadair Mask II. Now, most recently during my research I found the Optimus by Griffin Armament and info about the SpeQ program hence my dilemma.

Initially I was thinking I wanted a .30 cal can that could be run on a 300 Win Mag. 7.62mm, 5.56mm, and 300 blk. with various mounting options. Obviously the Omega would fit all of these needs is spades. Going rate is less than 900 over all solid performer and good bang for the buck. Total cost with stamp somewhere around 1100.

The plan after that was to grab a mask or osprey micro which floats down below the 500 mark. My thinking was to go with the micro because I was pretty set on the Omega, pricing doesn't hurt as well as hearing and reading nothing but amazing stuff about their CS kind of pushed them over the top. With stamps I am looking somewhere around 1700 or so of I went this route.

My second plan was to grab up two of the Omega 9k's. Thought process there was for damn near the same price I could have 2 suppressors that can run 300 blk supers and subs, (which is the round that I am primarily looking at suppressing) 9mm and even 22lr. I was initially worried about it not being user serviceable just like the Omega but the dealer in my area said you can use hydrogen peroxide and something else to float out lead deposits, or use mineral spirits and transmission fluid as a soak then drain and shoot clear as a cleaning solution. Drawback is I would give up .300 Win Mag, 7.62 and 5.56 which sucks but I would gain the ability to have two exact same suppressors that will run the three calibers I will typically shoot. All for about the same price as option 1.

My last option and most expensive is two of the Griffin Armament Optimus' which will run everything from 300 Win Mag to 22LR, minus anything over .38 in size. Other advantages include complete user serviceability, replaceable end caps, (in the event one gets shot off) completely 17-4 stainless so it's durable, comes with everything needed right off the bat to mount to every pistol and rifle I own and a few that I plan to purchase in the near future. Can is also thinner that the Omega or the 9K by .20" which is cool and can be run in a short or long config. The only real drawback I see right now is cost which looks about 1100 a piece, with stamp it comes to grand total of 2600. This option is no compromise in terms of being able to suppress anything I have or that I would ever buy, but at the expense not only monetarily but buying from a company I know nothing about, can find little about and am unsure of long term support. Looking for info on the can I can't find anything but a few YouTube reviews on it.

When it comes down to it I am a buy once cry once kind of guy but funds are limited because I already went ape shit and bought reloading supplies for the next two years and SBR'ed two rifles. I would like to get a solution that would cover my entire collection but if the company isn't going to be around or will not stand behind their product then I will take the next best half solution that I can count on. I also have no qualms trading a few decibels and ounces for some versatility so long as things are hearing safe.

At this point does anyone have any good information on the Optimus? Thoughts on long term support or experience with Griffin Armaments CS and products? Maybe my Google fu is weak but I can't seem to find squat and need to make a decision quickly. I've looked at the specs on the 9k and the Omega in comparison and I'm really having a hard time deciding without more information on the Optimus. Thanks in advance to the hive mind here for any info, I look forward to the replies.

HCM
04-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Mike,

If I recall correctly you are retired .MIL ? If so you qualify for Silencerco's SPEQ program. It is basically a blue label program for suppressors. My Omega was $751 via the SPEQ program. So total cost $951. I've been pretty happy with it. Skyline1 picked up one of the first Omega's and it's also been good to go on 5.56, 300 BO and .308.

For a "do it all" can the SiCo Hybrid is promising - I would like an omega 9k eventually as a pure pistol can but I don't know if I would want it as my only can..

Mike C
04-22-2016, 03:14 AM
HCM, I don't know how the hell I missed the Hybrid. Looks like a solid suggestion. Looking strictly at stats what are your thoughts vs. the Optimus in terms of value with included booster, direct thread mount, end caps, configurable length, and ability to be serviced by the user? Having used the Omega and enjoyed SiCo's quality would you be hesitant to buy anything else?

You made a good point about the 9k maybe I need to just rule that out not having a real rifle can might suck after a while and I might be kicking myself down the road. But that 9K is so freaking tiny when I looked at it today. It's really impressive once you have it in your hand.

You are right about me being able to pickup from the SpeQ program. Pricing is amazing and essentially covers the stamp. BTW, my local guy said $783,
how long ago did you grab your Omega if you don't mind me asking? Just wonder if pricing has changed at all.

Thanks again for the reply. Please keep it coming. The anticipation is killing me and I can't freaking sleep!

Mike C
04-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Reading more about the Optimus does anyone think that removable baffles and end caps in a center fire rifle is a bad idea?

Mike C
04-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Mods feel free to toast this thread, doesn't look like I'm going to get any other replies. Besides I just said fuck it and grabbed the Omega and a 9K.

LOKNLOD
04-23-2016, 06:15 PM
I was just eyeballing the 9K myself. I like the idea of the shorter suppressor for pistol usage. I would use it only for 9mm pistols, so I'm not sure how big a deal the lack of disassembly really is.

Sigfan26
04-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Unless you plan on shooting a lot of .22 and cast lead, disassembly isn't a necessity (that's what the rep for Silencerco told me at least). An omega 9k is on my short list. And a hybrid (plan on threading my Guide Gun eventually).

Mike C
04-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Unless you plan on shooting a lot of .22 and cast lead, disassembly isn't a necessity (that's what the rep for Silencerco told me at least). An omega 9k is on my short list. And a hybrid (plan on threading my Guide Gun eventually).

I've heard this. I may still end up picking up a Mask or Osprey Micro if funds allow. I probably should've done the hybrid too, that thing is pretty freaking versatile. I bet it would be sweet on a 45-70. But the Omega just sounds amazing, and looking at the 9k it was pretty hard to pass up, especially once I held one. The 9K is freaking small and delivers quite a bit of sound reduction. I was thoroughly impressed to say the least and wanted to be able to run it on a one of my SBR's and keep it really compact, so it fit the role and will do double duty with the 9's. It also looks like I should be able to run it on quite a few other small calibers if I feel so inclined. Now if my form 1's will come back quickly I'll have something else to occupy my time while I wait. I seriously don't know why I didn't do this years ago. Appreciate the info all.

Sigfan26
04-23-2016, 10:05 PM
I've heard this. I may still end up picking up a Mask or Osprey Micro if funds allow. I probably should've done the hybrid too, that thing is pretty freaking versatile. I bet it would be sweet on a 45-70. But the Omega just sounds amazing, and looking at the 9k it was pretty hard to pass up, especially once I held one. The 9K is freaking small and delivers quite a bit of sound reduction. I was thoroughly impressed to say the least and wanted to be able to run it on a one of my SBR's and keep it really compact, so it fit the role and will do double duty with the 9's. It also looks like I should be able to run it on quite a few other small calibers if I feel so inclined. Now if my form 1's will come back quickly I'll have something else to occupy my time while I wait. I seriously don't know why I didn't do this years ago. Appreciate the info all.

The Omeag is an AMAZING CAN.

HCM
04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
HCM, I don't know how the hell I missed the Hybrid. Looks like a solid suggestion. Looking strictly at stats what are your thoughts vs. the Optimus in terms of value with included booster, direct thread mount, end caps, configurable length, and ability to be serviced by the user? Having used the Omega and enjoyed SiCo's quality would you be hesitant to buy anything else?

You made a good point about the 9k maybe I need to just rule that out not having a real rifle can might suck after a while and I might be kicking myself down the road. But that 9K is so freaking tiny when I looked at it today. It's really impressive once you have it in your hand.

You are right about me being able to pickup from the SpeQ program. Pricing is amazing and essentially covers the stamp. BTW, my local guy said $783,
how long ago did you grab your Omega if you don't mind me asking? Just wonder if pricing has changed at all.

Thanks again for the reply. Please keep it coming. The anticipation is killing me and I can't freaking sleep!

You won't be disappointed with your omega.

I bought my omega over the summer of 2015. Prior to my purchase I got to use Silencerco SPECWAR and OMEGA cans belonging to PF members Skyline1 and Justintime - I would not hesitate to buy another Silencerco product, especially one which uses the ASR mounting system. I have a SiCo .22 can and would like to get hybrid next. I was looking at the octane .45 but the hybrid will do everything the octane can do and more.

I would like to pick up a hybrid next as a can for my pistol caliber sbr and a back up for 300 BO. I also have a 45-70 guide gun but it will need to be threaded and have the front sight moved back.

9k will be next after the hybrid. I had written off pistol cans after the .45 cal AAC can I had about 10 years ago, it was unwieldy. But the 9k really addresses the issue.