PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on A-merc brass

BehindBlueI's
04-21-2016, 01:10 PM
I loaded up 24 cartridges to sight in my Redhawk and one was a pop-no-bang. It sounded like a primer only load and I thought I'd must have gotten distracted and missed the powder in one. Nope, tapped the bullet back out of the forcing cone (it wasn't even totally clear of the brass) so I could open the cylinder and the case was full of powder when I pulled the bullet. The primer went off, it just didn't burn. I de-primed it when I got home and thought the flash hole looked small. Picked up a de-primed Speer and the difference was really obvious side by side.

I'd noticed the "A-merc" headstamp when loading and kicking out SPP brass and had never heard of it, but didn't think much of it. Turns out I should have. A quick Google shows I'm certainly not the first person to get burned (or no burned, technically) by this brass. I'll be tossing any further ones I find.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/20160421_134240_zpsfnheb4r0.jpg

Luke
04-21-2016, 01:42 PM
It went off for somebody at one point in time

:)

BehindBlueI's
04-21-2016, 01:54 PM
It went off for somebody at one point in time

:)

Interestingly enough:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1859135/nova-ammo-for-sale--half-a-million-rounds-of-handgun-ammo---9mm--38spl---38super---32acp

I am currently working with a wholesale liquidation company to resolve the holdings of the Former ammunition Manufacturer American Ammunition, or A-Merc.

A-Merc went bankrupt for several reasons, including Quality Control, and much of the ammunition that was being liquidated is scrap...

I suspect evil brass gremlins bought the bulk ammo, tore it down, and now sprinkle it over ranges at night. Just to be evil. Damned brass gremlins.

Sal Picante
04-21-2016, 02:05 PM
I generally separate it and/or scrap it... That said, I load it and it pops just fine in the 9mm.

Flashhole sizes vary - I wonder if your powder was wet or something?

How do you clean brass?

LSP972
04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Glad to see those bastards went belly-up. I've been eagle-eyeing any/all range pick-ups for that shit for a long time.

BehindBlueI's
04-21-2016, 02:19 PM
I generally separate it and/or scrap it... That said, I load it and it pops just fine in the 9mm.

Flashhole sizes vary - I wonder if your powder was wet or something?

How do you clean brass?

Powder was not wet. I loaded them last night.

Dry walnut media, but this was from a 1k pack of mixed headstamp I bought from a reload supply place that was closing last year, and it's cleaned already.

rsa-otc
04-21-2016, 02:40 PM
That flash hole is big enough to allow the primer spark to pass onto the powder. Probably there was something from the last cleaning (understanding it wasn't you) blocking the hole and when you deprimed the case it cleared the blockage. I've reloaded plenty of this brass and haven't had issues, that's not to say that American was a quality company.

One of the reasons I use walnut media is that I have had numerous instances when corn cob has stuck in the flash hole and bent my decapping pins. Maybe this happened to you.

BehindBlueI's
04-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Maybe. I deprime on press, and by habit I shake each brass upside down once before putting it on.

SecondsCount
04-21-2016, 07:50 PM
I remember reading a while back about people having case head separation issues with A-merc 45ACP brass.

richiecotite
04-23-2016, 01:03 PM
All AMerc brass gets thrown down range when found, or put in the can with crushed brass.

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk