PDA

View Full Version : Fun: Let's talk fictional weapons and Your comic book hero...

RevolverRob
04-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Thread title - You define the parameters of your universe, then describe the weapon(s) your character would be armed with, note any special talents of the character. Bonus points for noting weaknesses as well...No one is keeping score.

My universe is essentially our universe, set in approximately the 2010s-2030s with the existence of mythical monsters/beings. Magic is low-key, but special abilities exist in some mythical individuals and some mythical objects grant additional abilities. Physics apply, time travel doesn't exist, humans with superhuman strength do not exist. My character is a monster hunter that is a gritty mashup of pulp-noir and western cliches with a bad sense of humor. He is often dressed like The Shadow meets Jonah Hex and his partner(s) make fun of him for being a Hipster.

He carries a revolver not unlike this fictional weapon The Luigi-Franchi Safari-12...

Which in his realm is a 6-shot .44 Magnum, with a 12-gauge single-shot barrel hung underneath, no scope, instead he relies on an MRDS. This approach was inherited from his Great-Great-Grandfather who carried a LeMat as a monster hunter after the Civil War (it's a family occupation...and my "hero" is obsessed with his grandfather's legacy).

Of course no good old-fashioned noir-western hero is complete without a coffin-handled Bowie (his was carried by his paternal ancestors) and an Italian stiletto switchblade (given to him by his best-friend and partner).

Characters weaknesses include an inflated sense of ability (Dunning-Kruger), Aspergers-like social ability, and a strong weakness for chocolate. Strengths include, good shooting skills, excellent on-the-fly planning skills, and a lot of luck (most of it good). His bowie knife is charmed and brings him the extra luck...which is good news, because he really needs it from time-to-time.

___

This is just meant to be fun, so make it up as you go along. I like to think of different characters and work them up, to feed into the various fiction works I am writing. I can't take my fiction serious enough to accomplish much beyond this.

Mitch
04-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Easy day...I'll take a light saber and the force please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
04-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Well, my guy's an agent for the Culture's Special Circumstances.
So, first you get all the standard Culture body mods- disease resistance, healing factor, drug glands. Then, there's the SC stuff- neural lace, quickened reflexes, enhanced senses, built in effector, and all the rest.
For the fun of it, a CREWS pistol set to "x ray", and a couple of backup memoryform plasma guns.
Of course the real heavy hitter is the companion combat drone- a sentient machine capable of taking out an army, but small enough to fit in your pocket. And like most SC drones, a snarky little git.

Bigguy
04-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Extremely attractive 25-year-old female. Her body is infused with artificial macrophages that are nano scaled robots. They can link wirelessly to form a swarm processor to coordinate complex repairs and maintenance. They keep her body set at a pre-programmed baseline, and can repair damage at a cellular level. She doesn’t age. The macrophages repair damage and maintain enhancements. They can repair significant damage on the fly and actually converge at a damaged area to form scaffolding or internal bracing.
The microfibrils in her skeletal muscles contain three times as many sarcomeres as normal, making her at least three time stronger that normal. Her bones and connective tissue are modified with artificial compounds (such as biological carbon fiber) to withstand the added loads. She has an artificial hemoglobin that can carry the extra O2 her muscles require. She can also hold her breath for up to ten minutes during physical activity and up to 30 minutes resting.
Her senses operate at the theoretical limit of the tissue, so she can see, hear, smell, and taste things ordinary people can’t. She’s receptive to visual and audio frequencies slightly above and below normal. She can see in extremely low light, but her interocular fluid can darken to protect her from too much light.
Her brain is an artificial cerebral matrix infused with human neurons. Skills and knowledge can be preprogrammed into her matrix.

Powers: Enhanced, if not super, strength, reflexes, and senses. Ability to acquire skills by having them programmed into her cerebral matrix. For example she is skilled at MMA.

Weakness: Her major weakness is that her cerebral matrix needs to be infused with human neurons. Unfortunately it takes six months for them to grow into the matrix, but they can’t survive or reproduce while her brain is active. Once she is awake, the neurons begin to die. Once she is awakened from her stasis chamber, she has six days before shutting down. She will then have to go back into the stasis chamber for six months before her next six day wake cycle.

ETA: Fictional weapon: Insta-sleep. The Insta-sleep projectile is a dart carrying a fast acting sleep agent that is also has leads for an electro disruptive discharge. The electrical discharge incapacitates the target for a minute-and-a-half to two minutes. The drug takes effect in a minute to a minute-and-a-half. The electrical discharge instantly renders the target helpless and the drug takes effect before it wears off.

voodoo_man
04-21-2016, 07:21 PM
http://filmtrailer.hu/wp-content/uploads/dredd.jpg

Lawgiver. Because reality and stuff.

Dagga Boy
04-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Some along these lines......with war axes and Gatling guns. It would be like Viking A10's....

RevolverRob
04-21-2016, 08:18 PM
ETA: Fictional weapon: Insta-sleep. The Insta-sleep projectile is a dart carrying a fast acting sleep agent that is also has leads for an electro disruptive discharge. The electrical discharge incapacitates the target for a minute-and-a-half to two minutes. The drug takes effect in a minute to a minute-and-a-half. The electrical discharge instantly renders the target helpless and the drug takes effect before it wears off.

This reminds me of the fictional "equilibrium disruptor" in another universe I write sometimes. This is a device that uses an aimed ultrasonic wave at low-to-moderate amplitudes. It functions by instantly vibrating or "boiling" the perilymph fluid inside the inner ear. This sudden disruption of the fluid results in instantaneous loss of equilibrium, confusion, and even greater side effects (inability to stand, see straight, vomiting, etc.). Depending on the person and the amplitude of the wave, effects can last moments to hours. Extreme doses can result in ruptures of the inner ear that result in massive inner ear infections...bad news, but not necessarily deadly, if treated properly.

Really smart people who tend to be into bad things have invented a device they wear that projects the antiphase that results in destructive interference of the disruptor's ultrasonic wave. This can leave the wearer a bit disoriented, so it is advised to take an anti-nausea med when wearing it. But it prevents the wearer from being effected by the equilibrium disruptor.

will_1400
04-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Hard for me to decide on the fictional weapon I like best but these will always have a place in my heart.

" I wanna introduce you to a personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher. "

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/aliens-m41a-pulse-rifle-12.jpg

Close second (mainly because of how unwieldy it is.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VIntDo0-4cg/TmzNyjET3SI/AAAAAAAABhM/GzBZSXTXKP0/s1600/aliens2.jpg

As for comic character, I'll get back with you on that one.

NickA
04-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Random side note: it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Private Vasquez from Aliens was also the foster mom in Terminator 2 and a cop in Lethal Weapon 2 (all of whom also died horribly, come to think of it).
Seen all of those dozens of times,and I'm usually the ”Hey that's the guy from” guy that you hate watching movies with.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Chance
04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Mine would be this world, except I have whatever Purple Man / Killgrave has. My hilarious misadventures, and inherent altruism, would eventually doom all of humanity to a grisly Armageddon in some really ironic way.

Drang
04-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Haunted Tank
/thread

Chance
04-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Haunted Tank
/thread

Era, and country of origin?

Bigguy
04-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Era, and country of origin?

http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents-Haunted-Tank-Vol/dp/1401207898

Chance
04-22-2016, 04:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents-Haunted-Tank-Vol/dp/1401207898

Hey, your responses sound suspiciously like your book (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18962-My-second-novel-just-went-live-for-Kindle-and-other-e-readers-on-Amazon). I will neither confirm, nor deny, that I bought your book. This is a fantasy world after all.

Bigguy
04-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Hey, your responses sound suspiciously like your book (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18962-My-second-novel-just-went-live-for-Kindle-and-other-e-readers-on-Amazon). I will neither confirm, nor deny, that I bought your book. This is a fantasy world after all.

:rolleyes:By Golly, now that you mention it, it does sound vaguely familiar. No need to reinvent the wheel.:p
As you are obviously an individual of superior intellect and taste, I’ll assume you’re familiar with the aforementioned work.

Still working on the third book.

JSGlock34
04-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Has anyone read Altered Carbon (http://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbon-Takeshi-Kovacs-Novels/dp/0345457684)?

The next case held a rack of brown and grey projectile weapons that seemed to have been grown rather than machined. The barrels sprouted from organically curved wrappings that flared gently back to the stock. These too were dated back into the last century. I was trying to decipher the curled engraving on a barrel when I heard a metallic tread on the staircase behind me.

“Has sir found anything to his liking?”

I turned to face the approaching mandroid. Its entire body was the same polished gunmetal, moulded into the muscle configuration of an archetypal human male. Only the genitals were absent. The face was long and thin, fine-featured enough to hold attention despite its immobility. The head was carved into furrows to represent thick backcombed hair. Stamped across the chest was the almost eroded legend Mars Expo 2076.

“Just looking.” I said and gestured back at the guns. “Are these made of wood?”

The green photo-receptor gaze regarded me gravely. “That is correct, sir. The stocks are a beech hybrid. They are all handmade weapons. Kalashnikov, Purdey and Beretta. We stock all the European houses here. Which was sir interested in?”

I looked back. There was a curious poetry to the forms, something slung part way between functional bluntness and organic grace, something that cried out to be cradled. To be used.

“They’re a bit ornate for me. I had in mind something a little more practical.”

“Certainly, sir. Can we assume sir is not a novice in this field?”

I grinned at the machine. “We can assume that.”

“Then perhaps sir would care to tell me what his preferences in the past have been.”

“Smith & Wesson 11mm Magnum. Ingram 40 flechette gun. Sunjet particle thrower. But that wasn’t in this sleeve.”

The green receptors glowed. No comment. Perhaps it hadn’t been programmed for light conversation with Envoys.

“And what exactly is sir looking for in this sleeve?”

I shrugged. “Something subtle. Something not. Projectile weapons. And a blade. The heavy one needs to be something like the Smith.”

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/45/12/1345124647b7505bd4ba648d3d83629d.jpg

JAD
04-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Some along these lines......with war axes and Gatling guns. It would be like Viking A10's....

That's called 'Warhammer 40k,' Uncle Grandpa.

chiral
04-23-2016, 09:09 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/3e9e484e6fd4e1e25a3336a245a8872e.jpg

Chance
04-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Has anyone read Altered Carbon (http://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbon-Takeshi-Kovacs-Novels/dp/0345457684)?

Definitely. One of my favorite books, and quintessential cyberpunk. The second in the series really disappointed me. Haven't bothered with the third.

JSGlock34
04-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Definitely. One of my favorite books, and quintessential cyberpunk. The second in the series really disappointed me. Haven't bothered with the third.

In my opinion the third book (Woken Furies (http://www.amazon.com/Woken-Furies-Takeshi-Kovacs-Novels-ebook/dp/B000FCKDKU/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1461465795&sr=8-4)) is much better than the second (Broken Angels (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FC1BME/ref=series_rw_dp_sw)). My two cents, but whereas Broken Angels was a more typical military sci-fi story that happened to include Takeshi Kovacs, Woken Furies really delved into Kovac's past and the history of the Quellist uprising on Harlan's world. If you enjoyed Altered Carbon, I'd certainly give Woken Furies a shot.

Dagga Boy
04-23-2016, 10:17 PM

Okay......that sounds cool......whatever it is.

BehindBlueI's
04-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Okay......that sounds cool......whatever it is.

It's something the guys in the barracks who didn't drink or play cards did to pass the time. As far as I could tell, you buy little metal or plastic men, paint them, and then use dice and rulers to make little sandbox battles in the common room. Usually while drunken assholes ask things like "what's that little dude do?" and "how many fucking rulers do you use to play this game?" It looked like fun, but it also looked like math and spending beer money on little plastic or metal men.

Dagga Boy
04-23-2016, 10:51 PM
It's something the guys in the barracks who didn't drink or play cards did to pass the time. As far as I could tell, you buy little metal or plastic men, paint them, and then use dice and rulers to make little sandbox battles in the common room. Usually while drunken assholes ask things like "what's that little dude do?" and "how many fucking rulers do you use to play this game?" It looked like fun, but it also looked like math and spending beer money on little plastic or metal men.

I played a lot of war games with miniature figures as a kid.....so I would have been "that guy" on that. With that said, I just googled Warhammer....broke the Internet downloading wallpaper. Then found Warhammer Dwarves......holy crap! My People!!!! With my little tiny legs, all the pictures I totally relate to. I mean these dudes....these dudes are my people!!!!

SeriousStudent
04-23-2016, 11:16 PM
I noticed distinct similarities on bead grooming as well.

JAD
04-23-2016, 11:30 PM
There is no deeper nerd than a WH40k nerd. Tamara is going to come kick sand in my face any minute now.

Matt O
04-23-2016, 11:35 PM
There is no deeper nerd than a WH40k nerd. Tamara is going to come kick sand in my face any minute now.

I definitely nerded out on warhammer (dwarves) and 40k (space marines) in middle school and high school. What can I say, miniatures and strategy games kick ass.

Dagga Boy
04-24-2016, 11:13 AM

I could be that nerd.....

RevolverRob
04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
I could be that nerd.....

Can you get WH40K miniatures that are the same scale as your model trains?

JAD
04-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Can you get WH40K miniatures that are the same scale as your model trains?

WH is more or less 1/35. O scale is 1/42, so pretty close.

Inkwell 41
04-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Easy day...I'll take a light saber and the force please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Chance
04-24-2016, 04:44 PM
WH is more or less 1/35. O scale is 1/42, so pretty close.

Someone actually answered the question. I thought I was a nerd....

JAD
04-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Someone actually answered the question. I thought I was a nerd....

You have. No. Idea.

Mitch
04-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

He was killed by a lightsaber, just sayin'.

Chance
04-24-2016, 06:41 PM
He was killed by a lightsaber, just sayin'.

This had not occurred to me. Ironic.

BehindBlueI's
04-24-2016, 07:12 PM
http://www.geekmelange.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nerds-are-everywhere.jpeg