View Full Version : Magnificent Seven Remake

JM Campbell
04-21-2016, 08:58 AM
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2404435/

Looks good, I'll watch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

NETim
04-21-2016, 09:08 AM
This is actually a remake of a remake of Kurosawa's "The Seven Samaurai," which is an absolutely magnificent film.

Trooper224
04-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Caught the trailer yesterday. Absolutely unimpressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk

LOKNLOD
04-21-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm glad to see it isn't a straight remake of the original Brynner/McQueen movie...

Looks like it's an "evil industrialist" instead of a Mexican bandit, which doesn't surprise me.

It has potential if it is to be weighed on its own merit as a 2016 film. Comparisons to either of the old films (mag 7 or 7 samurai) probably won't hold up.

RevolverRob
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
This should be damn good.

Director - The guy who directed Training Day, Shooter, Olympus Has Fallen

Screenwriters who are adapting from Kurosawa's screenplay - are known for The Blind Side, 16 Blocks, and True Detective respectively. That's a pretty good crew for adapting from Kurosawa.

I actually think it might hold up well against the Seven Samurai and Mag Seven. To be fair, Mag Seven with Brynner/McQueen isn't exactly the height of cinematic greatness...don't get me wrong it is good, but it isn't Kurosawa good or as good as some of the better westerns of today (think Unforgiven).

-Rob

LOKNLOD
04-21-2016, 12:25 PM
This should be damn good.

Director - The guy who directed Training Day, Shooter, Olympus Has Fallen

Screenwriters who are adapting from Kurosawa's screenplay - are known for The Blind Side, 16 Blocks, and True Detective respectively. That's a pretty good crew for adapting from Kurosawa.

Yeah, I can't disagree. Antoine Fuqua + Denzel has proven to be a pretty solid combo.

I actually think it might hold up well against the Seven Samurai and Mag Seven.

As a similar story, done well, yes, it probably will.

To be fair, Mag Seven with Brynner/McQueen isn't exactly the height of cinematic greatness...

Shut your commie mouth, punk.

(Hopefully understood in the "fun spirited" tone it was intended)

I do hope they have a better soundtrack than the trailer. It needs the sweeping Elmer Bernstein treatment, not alt rock.

Let's all remember they all pale to the retelling we were gifted in "A Bug's Life".

Dagga Boy
04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
Looks great to me, can't wait.

RevolverRob
04-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Shut your commie mouth, punk.

Hey! I may be a socially liberal, conservation loving, tree hugging, government hating, pseudo-anarchist, wookie-suiter...But I ain't no communist! Fascist? Maybe. Nihilist? Definitely. But communist? Never.

(I have a reputation to protect here)

Kukuforguns
04-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Just watched the trailer, which made me want to watch the original.

Mr Pink
04-22-2016, 02:44 PM
This is actually a remake of a remake of Kurosawa's "The Seven Samaurai," which is an absolutely magnificent film.I streamed it on Netflix and it absolutely magnificent! You can't stream it through Netflix anymore but there are other ways to find it online.

Lon
04-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Looks good to me. I loved 7 Samurai and the Mag 7, so I'll definitely have to see this.

coldcase1984
04-22-2016, 03:24 PM
The True Detective crew batted .500 in my opinion, but I'll watch it because I love a damn Western better than anything. Sooo glad it's Mr. Washington v. Mr. Jackson. I'm so sick of the latter's voice I could blow chunks. Only Kurt Russell saved The Hateful Eight for me. Well photographed, too.