PDA

View Full Version : New Series 70 Colts

Robinson
04-20-2016, 11:10 PM
For people wishing Colt offered more Series 70 guns, there is news. They are now offering two new models -- the S70 Level I and Level II. These look to be fairly straight-forward pistols with sights and safeties upgraded over the standard models. For non-tritium sights I still prefer the retro style, but the new models are equipped with Novaks with tritium on the Level II.

This makes four Series 70 models now offered by Colt:
S70 Repro Model (I own one which is overall my favorite .45)
S70 Gold Cup National Match (I own one)
S70 Level I
S70 Level II

45dotACP
04-21-2016, 12:05 AM
Very interesting...

I've been looking at Colt, considering that owning 1911's without owning at least one that has a pony on the side is tantamount to heresy and Colt is putting out some nice guns in both S70 and S80 lately.

secondstoryguy
04-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Those look very nice and the price is not ridiculous. Everything you need and nothing you don't 1911s.

Poconnor
04-21-2016, 04:43 AM
I have a Wiley clapp lightweight commander. I want to get a WC government model too.

Robinson
04-21-2016, 08:39 AM
It turns out the new S70 Level 1 and Level 2 guns might be limited runs of 100 pistols each. Bummer. Still, if these sell quickly it could send a message to Colt that these are desirable.

secondstoryguy
04-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Colt's marketing people never seem to get the message. The more I look at these level 1 and 2 S70s the more I want one. It's kinda silly that these arn't standard stock pistols. Springfield Armory has made a mint selling the loaded models which are just about identical to these.

I read that they even have NM barrels...neat.

Robinson
04-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Colt's now discontinued (other than the Combat Elite) XSE line was actually pretty comparable to the SA Loaded series but the XSE guns didn't sell. Recent offerings by Colt show they are listening, evidenced by the Colt Competition models. But I hope they get the message that people like the S70 guns -- and the new models without front serrations are well liked by Colt buyers. Time will tell.

Trooper224
04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Limited to a run of 100? Make something that customers obviously want and limit production? Yep, must be a Colt venture. It often seems as if Colt management is stranded at sea in a life boat, yet actively trying to beat holes in the hull with a hammer.

LSP552
04-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Limited to a run of 100? Make something that customers obviously want and limit production? Yep, must be a Colt venture. It often seems as if Colt management is stranded at sea in a life boat, yet actively trying to beat holes in the hull with a hammer.

So what else is new........

I don't think Colt could plan a drunk in a distillery.

JonInWA
04-21-2016, 12:53 PM
It looks like Colt is putting their toe in the water and incorporating into the production flow some of what was previously incorporated into their Model O packages (and some other options) from the Custom Shop. While they're late to the party, at least, however tentatively, they're joining in.

The Series 70 platform is a good one to perform these on. To me, they're a bit of a bridge between the basic Series 70 guns and the previous Colt Gunsite models (some of which I believe are still available at Gunsite).

There was also recently a limited edition/parts bin assembled 1911 from Colt offered at Buds, which seemed to be a Gold Cup frame with a vertically serrated frontstrap, a 80 Series 1991 slide and trigger, an arched/grooved mainspring housing, Gold Cup walnut checkered and emblemed grips, a long trigger, spur hammer, and a matte blue finish. The sights as I recall were standard 1991 3-dots. It came out as a nicely retro-appearing Series 80 1991. Internet rumor had it that Colt was flushing their system of some of the surplus older Gold Cup frames, but I never heard anything official. I have no idea how many were made up ultimately.

I applaud Colt for breaking out of their mold a bit, and seeing what resonates with the market. Previously they had a proliferation of SKUs with very low sales for many of them-now they're tuning their business and production more to the market.

The stainless steel 70 Series that my wife got me for our anniversary this year has been a superbly made, accurate and flawlessly operating 1911.

Best, Jon

Poconnor
04-21-2016, 12:54 PM
I agree, it's almost like they are trying to go bankrupt.

Trooper224
04-21-2016, 03:15 PM
I just checked out a sample of the new Colt Competition Pistol. Nice, except for two things: the blue fiber optic is useless. Pony Boys, I don't care about color coordination. For around $900 I shouldn't have to immediately replace that. The thumb safety has almost zero resistance on engagement. Adequate on disengagement but near zero on engagement. That alone would have made me pass on it. As with so many things from Colt, almost there but ultimately missing the boat.

Robinson
04-21-2016, 03:39 PM
I just checked out a sample of the new Colt Competition Pistol. Nice, except for two things: the blue fiber optic is useless. Pony Boys, I don't care about color coordination. For around $900 I shouldn't have to immediately replace that. The thumb safety has almost zero resistance on engagement. Adequate on disengagement but near zero on engagement. That alone would have made me pass on it. As with so many things from Colt, almost there but ultimately missing the boat.

I agree 100% about the blue front sight and mine will soon be replaced, possibly upgraded to tritium.

The thumb safety on my sample works great, which of course is not a meaningful statistic.

Dagga Boy
04-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Colt is making their best 1911 ever. Doesn't mean they know how to sell them, but from an engineering and materials standpoint they are very good.

45dotACP
04-21-2016, 07:53 PM
What Nyeti said. If I were looking for a 1911 right now it'd be a Colt. Series 70 or 80, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

JHC
04-22-2016, 02:32 AM

Last Sat I looked at a Competition in 9 and a LW Cdr in .45. The Cdr had the mush safety but the Comp's safety was positive and firm. Definitely not guns to order unseen over the net; not me anyway.

Trooper224
04-22-2016, 03:14 AM
Last Sat I looked at a Competition in 9 and a LW Cdr in .45. The Cdr had the mush safety but the Comp's safety was positive and firm. Definitely not guns to order unseen over the net; not me anyway.

As of a few years ago, I no longer buy guns from any company sight unseen. I'll gladly pay a bit more to be able to do a hands on inspection first.

Robinson
04-22-2016, 07:35 AM
What Nyeti said. If I were looking for a 1911 right now it'd be a Colt. Series 70 or 80, it doesn't matter.

The S70 / S80 thing isn't a huge deal to me either, but I will admit my S70 guns have slightly better triggers than my S80 guns.

Isaac
04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
I cant find these new S70's on the website, where are you guys seeing them?

Thanks

Jeep
04-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Colt is making their best 1911 ever. Doesn't mean they know how to sell them, but from an engineering and materials standpoint they are very good.

Precisely. In addition, they've cut their prices some, which make current Colts a relative bargain.

Robinson
04-22-2016, 07:56 AM
I cant find these new S70's on the website, where are you guys seeing them?

Thanks

So far they've only shown up on the online gun sale/auction sites. Being limited runs they will probably never show up on Colt's website.

JSGlock34
04-24-2016, 11:43 AM
I think Colt has a winner with these...took 'em long enough. The Level Two seems worth the extra cost for the magwell, grips and tritium sights. I'd love to see one of these in two tone Combat Elite colors...

Trooper224
04-24-2016, 01:30 PM
I could go for either one.

UNK
04-25-2016, 09:12 PM
What kind of prices are you seeing on these Level 1 and 2 pistols?

AJD21
04-25-2016, 10:59 PM
As an FYI on another forum Brent the Custom Shop manager said that these Series 70 pistols were actually built in the Custom Shop. For those interested.

Tuesday
04-25-2016, 11:14 PM
What kind of prices are you seeing on these Level 1 and 2 pistols?

I've seen them for about $1100 and $1300, respectively.

Poconnor
04-26-2016, 02:17 PM
I was in a LGS yesterday and looked at the new combat unit. I went today to buy it but it was gone. I think it's a series 80 but it was a very well set up rail gun. I think I'm going to trade off my first generation kimber 1911s for new Colt Wiley clapp 1911s.

Robinson
04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
I've seen them for about $1100 and $1300, respectively.

There are a couple of each on GB right now for $1083 and $1234.

StraitR
04-27-2016, 03:40 PM
I was in a LGS yesterday and looked at the new combat unit. I went today to buy it but it was gone. I think it's a series 80 but it was a very well set up rail gun. I think I'm going to trade off my first generation kimber 1911s for new Colt Wiley clapp 1911s.

first generation Kimber, as in Clackamas, OR marked Kimber? SN would be less 8000(ish). Trading at a gun store is never a good idea, but even more so when there are people willing to overpay for what you have.

wgalvinized
12-15-2016, 10:57 PM
I recently purchased a Colt Mark IV Series 70. I simply wanted a full sized Colt 1911 .45 cal. A higher end gun shop that carries many 1911's recommended this. After I brought it home, I noticed discrepancies from a "typical" Series 70, which led me to finding this thread. I seem to have bought one of the guns that is mentioned. It is a Series 70 with a beaver tail grip, long trigger, Novak sights, skeleton hammer, NM barrel and flat mainspring as pictured in JSGlock34's post. At first I was pissed that it did not match up to a typical Series 70. But, after reading these posts and seeing the pics I am actually becoming pleased.

Can anyone explain what is a Level 1, 2 and 3 Series 70?

Any other info on these guns?

How / where can I get info from the aforementioned Brent of the Custom Shop?

Thanks for your help.

blues
12-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Hmmm...I just sold a custom pocket knife for $1200.00 this evening and I haven't had a .45 since I had an issued Series 70 back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Maybe there's a reason I haven't told my wife what I want for xmas (yet). :cool:

TR675
12-15-2016, 11:08 PM
I recently purchased a Colt Mark IV Series 70. I simply wanted a full sized Colt 1911 .45 cal. A higher end gun shop that carries many 1911's recommended this. After I brought it home, I noticed discrepancies from a "typical" Series 70, which led me to finding this thread. I seem to have bought one of the guns that is mentioned. It is a Series 70 with a beaver tail grip, long trigger, Novak sights, skeleton hammer, NM barrel and flat mainspring as pictured in JSGlock34's post. At first I was pissed that it did not match up to a typical Series 70. But, after reading these posts and seeing the pics I am actually becoming pleased.

Thanks for your help.

Can you post a pic?

Brent posts on 1911forum.com in the Colt subforum.

From the description it sounds like you've got a nice pistol with many worthwhile upgrades from a "stock" Colt 1911...

wgalvinized
12-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Label on the box indicates Model 01970A1Z, also says Level 1, Model O

JSGlock34
12-16-2016, 04:43 PM

Thanks for your help.

Nice catch! My understanding is that these guns have been assembled by the Custom Shop. While not a 'full' custom shop build like the Special Combat Government, they have a nice assortment of upgrades over the stock Series 70. The higher the level, the more extensive the upgrades (and the price rises accordingly). The Level 3 guns look almost identical to the Special Combat Government.

Here's a 1911Forum thread on this model (New Series 70 Colts (https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=574481)); there are probably others.

wgalvinized
12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
That is helpful JSGLock34. I read that other thread from the 1911 forum. One poster indicated the box came with a 'custom shop' label. Now that I look at the box with this 1911, there is a second label and part of it says, "MFR: 1970A1CS" I presume this interprets into 1970A1 Manufactured by the Custom Shop(?).

As we always say when we buy a new toy....can't wait to take it to the range this weekend.

Thanks again.

ydennekb
12-18-2016, 12:57 AM
The Level 1 and 2 guns are assembled in the custom shop with the features listed above except that he Level 2 has a magwell and night sights. I believe the Level 3 is actually a custom shop built gun and is priced accordingly.

i love the Level 2 I have, it's pretty much everything I want in a 1911 and I've had no issues with it in 1300 rounds plus 28 rounds of BB 255 grain 45 Supers I shot today.