PDA

View Full Version : SIG SAUER OPTICS: TANGO 6 (1-6) low power variable

BES
04-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Went to a local gun store today and they happened to have the new Sig optics in. I've been interested in their Tango 6 (1-6x) low power variable. I've been searching for a lower power variable for a while that has all the features I'm looking for. Specifically a DAYLIGHT BRIGHT reticle, and true 1 power on the lower end with good eye relief, and a BDC reticle designed for shooters and quick range estimation. This thing has been so hyped, I expected a lot out of it. First off I will say it is robustly constructed, it has external turrets but they're not budging unless you want them to. The reticle was the MOA option, FFP. The entire reticle illuminates, not just the center. Glass is super clear and crisp from edge to edge, and the 1x setting is a true 1x and doesn't play with your eye if you're looking at something very close. Sounds good so far right ? So I crank up the illumination to the max setting hoping to get that red dot feel from it on 1x.... NOPE, it's NOT DAYLIGHT BRIGHT. To me that defeats the whole purpose of a low power variable. If you can't acquire the reticle quickly like an RDS or holographic and hose away at close range then it's really not doing much for you that a 2.5-10x couldn't do. I'm starting to get really irritated with all these companies claiming to have daylight bright reticles in LPVs that aren't truly daylight bright. My search is still on for a LPV that is fighting worthy and won't leave me broke living in a cardboard box. Now I'm putting my money on the Burris 1-8 coming out in June. Hope it lives up to the expectation. IMO a 1-8x with daylight bright reticle and true 1x can do it ALL. 7350

Grouse870
04-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Have you checked out the vortex strike eagle? 1x6 with daylight visible (have yet to see one in person but it is reported to be daylight visible) bdc recticle.

El Cid
04-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Have you checked out the vortex strike eagle? 1x6 with daylight visible (have yet to see one in person but it is reported to be daylight visible) bdc recticle.

Well... the reticle is still visible in daylight conditions, as a black horseshoe and crosshairs. But the one I have, the red illumination is not visible. My first time at the range I thought the batteries had died. Inside it can be too bright - I think this is due to the amount of surface on the reticle that glows. But outside on its highest setting you'll think it's off.

There are not many LPV scopes with real daytime bright illumination. My Swarovski Z6i 1-6 is brighter than my Aimpoints and daytime visbible. But the difference in cost between those two optics is night and day.

BES
04-19-2016, 04:55 PM

Yeah I have. I think it's a great optic for the price and it is daylight bright. On 1x though it's more like a 1.5 or 2 power, doesn't come close to it's big brother HD 1-6. Not a fan of the BDC reticle either, it's really fat and covers the target too much for precision shots at distance. For 3 gun stuff it would work well. Personally, I'd like a MRAD Single Focal Plane reticle. That way I can calibrate the stadia lines to the ammo I'm using and I'm not limited to just 5.56 if I wanted to put it on other rifles. I could also range estimate easily with that type of reticle. With a preset BDC, they've been calibrated to a specific ammo/barrel length. Once I deviate from that the BDC with different ammo/ barrel length or caliber, it becomes just "close enough." That defeats my purpose because I could get "close enough" with a RDS and a good zero. I know what type of accuracy I can squeeze out of my M4 or AR at distance with good ammo and glass. That's what is really driving my quest to find the LPV I'm looking for. Essentially, my purpose of putting the LPV on is to have a CQB rifle and a DMR setup capable of precision shots all in one with the turn of a dial.

BES
04-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Well... the reticle is still visible in daylight conditions, as a black horseshoe and crosshairs. But the one I have, the red illumination is not visible. My first time at the range I thought the batteries had died. Inside it can be too bright - I think this is due to the amount of surface on the reticle that glows. But outside on its highest setting you'll think it's off.

There are not many LPV scopes with real daytime bright illumination. My Swarovski Z6i 1-6 is brighter than my Aimpoints and daytime visbible. But the difference in cost between those two optics is night and day.

More like night and an F-type Super Giant star lol.

Josh Runkle
04-19-2016, 06:24 PM
But the difference in cost between those two optics is night and day.

Pun intended?

El Cid
04-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Pun intended?

Lol! As much as I'd like to take credit for that - no.

TAZ
04-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately I think the FFP really suffers in the illumination game. Not really sure why, but there really isn't I that I can think of that has good illumination (RDS type illumination). May have something to do with the whole reticle shrinking in size under low power. Aka your eyes are seeing a smaller reflection. The SWFA solves this with the giant donut that you zoom through. Others solve this with the dual focal plane approach. Dot in the SFP reticle in the FFP. That costs $$. Does Sig offer a SFP version?

Maybe look at an SPF scope like the Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms ACSS (1-6 or 1-8) or heck in that price range how about a Vortex Razor.

BES
04-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately I think the FFP really suffers in the illumination game. Not really sure why, but there really isn't I that I can think of that has good illumination (RDS type illumination). May have something to do with the whole reticle shrinking in size under low power. Aka your eyes are seeing a smaller reflection. The SWFA solves this with the giant donut that you zoom through. Others solve this with the dual focal plane approach. Dot in the SFP reticle in the FFP. That costs $$. Does Sig offer a SFP version?

Maybe look at an SPF scope like the Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms ACSS (1-6 or 1-8) or heck in that price range how about a Vortex Razor.

Post #4 on my opinion about the Strike Eagle. It's funny you mention the Vortex Razor because I've been going back and forth over the past year on it and debating whether to just settle for it. It has a lot of the features I'm looking for. I guess I'm a little guilty of playing the tech game and waiting for the new best thing. A key piece to this though is whatever I get must be able to withstand real world abuse, not just my personal training and local matches on my own rifles. I will be taking it with me next year on an upcoming deployment. The Vortex really shines for it's ruggedness, albeit at the cost of some extra weight.

Default.mp3
04-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Leupold D-EVO?

Seriously, I just want to see someone run it hard and give some feedback; the lack of reviews thus far is discouraging.

9mm_shooter
04-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Leupold D-EVO is not illuminated, otherwise an interesting scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BES
04-20-2016, 12:04 PM
I've wondered why the same thing, it came out with all the hype and then vanished into thin air. Maybe it doesn't look "cool" enough for people.