PDA

View Full Version : Why we have trigger warnings (now that's ambiguous) in our context

Glenn E. Meyer
04-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Interesting piece on how one section of psychology has warped the world:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/concept-creep/477939/

Note, I'm am or was a technical side (neuroscience, vision) before I wandered a touch into the jury research.

Article has critiques of left, right and middle overuse of being scared of psychological and physical harm.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-19-2016, 09:46 AM
It only gets worse:

http://chronicle.com/article/Guns-PancakesAmbiguity/236154?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en&elqTrackId=f6c3c90d7dd846a4ad79229215874ff0&elq=3d0bf7ad9cce4d49ab75a39c3a0adb5d&elqaid=8721&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2943

Be a gun person and run up against deliberate prejudice.

SAWBONES
04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Yet more evidence of the unfortunate "pussification" of modern Western society.

Will the American psychosocial pendulum ever swing back in the direction of personal hardihood, "common sense" and intellectual integrity?

Certain elements of our society still espouse toughness, conservative social mores and traditional beliefs about personal responsibility, e.g., many in law enforcement & military, and a smaller fraction of the general population, but it has looked to me for about the past fifty years that we're on a collective downward moral slide that is unlikely to be reconsidered or reformed without the occurrence of some sort of catastrophic and widespread privation or occasion for suffering such as international war, widespread natural disasters, or thoroughgoing social collapse.

Wobblie
04-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Yes indeedy, those hyper-manly Islamists are going to take our pussified country apart.

LOKNLOD
04-19-2016, 12:58 PM
It only gets worse:

http://chronicle.com/article/Guns-PancakesAmbiguity/236154?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en&elqTrackId=f6c3c90d7dd846a4ad79229215874ff0&elq=3d0bf7ad9cce4d49ab75a39c3a0adb5d&elqaid=8721&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2943

Holy shit.

TAZ
04-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Hope crap batman. Someone chose Myrtle as their pseudonym and is questioning the sanity of others. What a dim bulb.

Totem Polar
04-19-2016, 05:45 PM
"I lay all of this out here now because I don’t know what to do about the recommendation."

One thing you don't do is put it out on the WWW as a quasi-Facebook, poor me post in an (quasi) academic journal for everyone to see, "Myrtle" shield be damned. That stuff will always get back to people. Man or Woman up and either do the recommendation or not, but don't pontificate on the decision under the dissimulation of having an open mind.

11B10
04-19-2016, 06:14 PM
"I lay all of this out here now because I don’t know what to do about the recommendation."

One thing you don't do is put it out on the WWW as a quasi-Facebook, poor me post in an (quasi) academic journal for everyone to see, "Myrtle" shield be damned. That stuff will always get back to people. Man or Woman up and either do the recommendation or not, but don't pontificate on the decision under the dissimulation of having an open mind.

The so-called open-mind of a liberal has to be the worst hoax ever perpetrated upon humanity.

olstyn
04-19-2016, 06:44 PM

This line was especially troubling to me:

It seems to me no person who has truly experienced the full impact of their own emotions would ever go near a gun.

It seems to imply that the author thinks it's impossible to be in control of one's emotions and/or that a "heightened" emotional state is guaranteed to make a person lose sight of right and wrong.

miller_man
04-19-2016, 08:13 PM

Yep, just wow.

SLG
04-19-2016, 08:30 PM
That professor should be fired for even being conflicted about it. Talk about none of her business.

El Cid
04-19-2016, 08:36 PM

It seems to imply that the author thinks it's impossible to be in control of one's emotions and/or that a "heightened" emotional state is guaranteed to make a person lose sight of right and wrong.
That's because the professor is a liberal and they can't control their emotions. There was a really good discussion on another site a few months back. The gist of it was how liberal minded people say things like, "how do you own a gun and not shoot your boss?" and other such things. They don't trust us with guns because they can't trust themselves with them. When I started realizing the far reaching implications it was mind numbing.

TCinVA
04-19-2016, 08:41 PM
It only gets worse:

I should take that article and substitute the gun language for islam language and see what the reaction is.

olstyn
04-19-2016, 08:55 PM
That's because the professor is a liberal and they can't control their emotions.

Your brush might be getting a touch broad, but it sounds like the discussion you're referring to could be an interesting read.

El Cid
04-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Your brush might be getting a touch broad, but it sounds like the discussion you're referring to could be an interesting read.

Without a doubt I'm generalizing. But after reading it I see it everywhere. Fellow LEO's who are liberal leaning and genuinely believe non-LEO's can't be trusted with guns. Comments I've heard over the years from others, including professors/teachers. Wish I could recall the site because I seem to recall someone linking an actual study or term for the behavior. It was a light bulb moment for me.

LOKNLOD
04-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Without a doubt I'm generalizing. But after reading it I see it everywhere. Fellow LEO's who are liberal leaning and genuinely believe non-LEO's can't be trusted with guns. Comments I've heard over the years from others, including professors/teachers. Wish I could recall the site because I seem to recall someone linking an actual study or term for the behavior. It was a light bulb moment for me.

I was going to comment similarly -- broad brush or not, there's a consistent narrative of anti-gun folks projecting their own inability to deal with the responsibility of possessing, let alone carrying, arms. "I don't think I can handle this, no one else can either!"

Drang
04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
You know how when you (if you're male) try and explain something to a woman, and if she's a liberal she objects to you "mansplaining"?

Well, now you're "gunsplaining (https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=GUNSPLAINING)."

So they've already shut you out.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Would a gun have helped?

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/professor-mauled-by-a-bear-while-teaching-mountaineering-course/110519?elqTrackId=89578ecc10ba4508a29a9ca2b02fb8db&elq=7fc97c131b5949a085918b616801d68d&elqaid=8744&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2954

I do know two professors who did a Montana gig with students and carried a real gun. I wonder if that would be acceptable now?

GardoneVT
04-20-2016, 09:39 AM
"Certainly my predicament raises the whole issue of what letters of recommendation mean. But this whole thing just feels so, so … so much like creeping up the attic stairs, unzipping the padded case and running my fingers over the tendrilled grooves etched into the barrel of that old Browning shotgun. Peering down the chamber, I didn’t know how to say it then, but tools for killing will always be sacred."

That quote is why we can't beat them citing facts.

They don't object to find because of a factual disagreement. They emotionally object to the need for a firearm to start with.
As much as I'd like to say "live and let be", people like this own our government decision making infrastructure.Especially in education.

If we don't make an effort to reach these folks, one day they'll grow in enough numbers to legislate their ignorance.

Corey
04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
This line from Myrtle offended me.

It seems to me no person who has truly experienced the full impact of their own emotions would ever go near a gun.

I control my emotions, they do not control me.

Peally
04-20-2016, 10:45 AM
I find the entire mental state of being that result in such foolish statements offensive, but since I'm not a liberal college professor I won't go shoving my opinion down people's throats.

GRV
04-20-2016, 11:33 AM
The same people claim to make a lifestyle out of creating "safe spaces" for people to express their diverse identities.

I know the irony is lost on them that they have successfully demonized and marginalized a massive set of people into hiding, based on their beliefs. In modern times, I'm not sure that there are any other groups in any other areas that would get the same sort of serial-killer shock and horror response that being revealed as a gun owner gets you in areas of America primarily populated by people like Ms. Myrtle. You can see that she literally thinks this person is a monster. It's worlds worse than many of the forms of discrimination people from her ideological background spend most of their time fighting against.

BaiHu
04-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Can we stop calling her Ms. Myrtle? We all know this is a metrosexual, hipster, male, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

olstyn
04-20-2016, 11:44 AM

I was going to comment similarly -- broad brush or not, there's a consistent narrative of anti-gun folks projecting their own inability to deal with the responsibility of possessing, let alone carrying, arms. "I don't think I can handle this, no one else can either!"

No disagreement here; stereotypes/broad brush statements don't come about via a complete lack of examples. I merely meant to point out that the ability to control one's emotions is not necessarily tightly coupled to one's political position(s). The position taken in the article in question is of course patently absurd, and the people who DO fit the stereotype are in need of a serious reality check.

Jeep
04-20-2016, 11:56 AM

What this says to me is that "Myrtle" might have inherited some of her father's bi-polar disorder and probably should be nowhere near a gun--or even a semi-sharp knife--herself.

Unfortunately, she seems to assume that most people have the same range of emotions that she has. I've been shooting for 50 years and owned firearms continuously for over 40 years and the idea that either I or most people I know are subject to emotional frenzies that make firearms ownership a threat to others is pretty ridiculous.

But, as others here have said, lefties always seem to think that others are prone to the lefties own worse impulses.

olstyn
04-20-2016, 12:39 PM
I've been shooting for 50 years and owned firearms continuously for over 40 years and the idea that either I or most people I know are subject to emotional frenzies that make firearms ownership a threat to others is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed. My experience is nowhere near as long as yours, but I'm firmly convinced that my wife and I could have a HEATED argument while either or both of us is armed without anyone or anything being physically harmed. Are there folks who couldn't remain physically safe in that scenario? Probably so; I expect there's a whole range of levels of emotional control and rationality across humanity, but that doesn't mean that the dangerous end of that scale is anything like as common as "Myrtle" seems to think.

GardoneVT
04-20-2016, 12:46 PM
We've covered the emotional flaws well enough here, and elsewhere.

What will we do to fix this? Permitting folks of this mindset to make policy isn't a good long term plan. Our kids deserve better then hand wringing and "let the liberals be".

Peally
04-20-2016, 12:47 PM
There's not too many legal ways to fix stupid people aside from waiting for Darwin awards. Better to focus on educating normal people.

Drang
04-20-2016, 12:53 PM
There's not too many legal ways to fix stupid people aside from waiting for Darwin awards. Better to focus on educating normal people.

Except that she is the one doing the educating.

Peally
04-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Depends on your definition. Sure, when kids are at school for an hour they're getting educated by a potential psychopath, but the other 99% of the day they're surrounded by peers, family, etc that will weigh much more heavily on their opinions if they have a healthy mental lifestyle. When I say educating I mean more by example and actions outside of the school.

Drang
04-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Let us know when your plan to eliminate the leftist influence on Hollywood is complete.

Peally
04-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Pfft one chandelier falling at the Oscars would take out almost everyone, they gather for circle jerks all the damn time :D

BaiHu
04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Depends on your definition. Sure, when kids are at school for an hour they're getting educated by a potential psychopath, but the other 99% of the day they're surrounded by peers, family, etc that will weigh much more heavily on their opinions if they have a healthy mental lifestyle. When I say educating I mean more by example and actions outside of the school.
Thread drift:

I think the problem is they spend 8 hours of their day being educated and then most of their time hanging with kids whose family values might not mesh.

I have to say that there seemed to be much less family value discrepancy across my upbringing than I see in today's neighborhoods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
It is ironic, and nauseating that the modern Left is pushing for a return to Segregation and "Separate but Equal".

11B10
04-20-2016, 04:01 PM
What this says to me is that "Myrtle" might have inherited some of her father's bi-polar disorder and probably should be nowhere near a gun--or even a semi-sharp knife--herself.

Unfortunately, she seems to assume that most people have the same range of emotions that she has. I've been shooting for 50 years and owned firearms continuously for over 40 years and the idea that either I or most people I know are subject to emotional frenzies that make firearms ownership a threat to others is pretty ridiculous.

But, as others here have said, lefties always seem to think that others are prone to the lefties own worse impulses.

Of course! Why didn't the fact that she is her father's daughter occur to HER?