PDA

View Full Version : Sig P320 Grip Modifications

UNK
04-19-2016, 05:08 AM
http://teamsigsauer.com/customizing-the-sig-p320-grip-module/

Customizing the Grip Module

The stock texturing on the P320 is a perfect mix of being aggressive enough for tough range use without being uncomfortable to carry close to the body. Some, however, may prefer sharper or smoother texturing. Others may prefer for texturing to be on other areas of the grip which don’t typically come textured from the factory. This could include such things as stippling above the thumb rest, between the factory textured areas, under the trigger guard, or the insertion of index points on the side of the grip module. Where grip modification was once a specialty only to be attempted by the brave and highly skilled, now anyone can make the gun truly their own by adding personal touches or preferred modifications.

Aside from simple changing of different factory grip module options, grip stippling is the most common permanent grip modification performed. Basic stippling requires very few tools and is fairly easy to attempt. A soldering iron or wood burning kit is usually the tool of choice for the job. Irons that have temperature control adjustment built in are preferred since a cooler iron will produce a sharper texture while a hot iron will melt more material and provide a smoother, less aggressive finish. You may want to experiment with basic grip tape in areas that you want textured before making permanent modifications. This will help you to feel how adjustment change your ability to hold the gun and can help identify other areas you may want to leave alone for comfort’s sake.

Wood burning kits include a variety of tips that will make different patterns resulting in different visual and practical results. The best thing to do is look at examples of stippling online and then go to work practicing on polymer material before working on a grip module. Old polymer AR15 magazines are favorite testbeds and the holster that comes with the P320 also makes for a great first test. Keep temperature, angle, and pressure as consistent as possible throughout the process to ensure an even and consistent look.

Taping up lines in preparation for grip work

You may choose to pre-mark the areas with masking tape to ensure straight lines. The most professional texturing jobs often remove the factory texturing with a Dremel sanding drum or similar before beginning to stipple. This can make the final product look even cleaner and will improve the lines and transition areas between your stippling and factory texturing. As with all things do it yourself, YouTube videos can be a great resource to learn the best methods from others who are experienced.

For the ultimate in cheese grater, competition shooting grip traction, you can use epoxy to apply silicon carbide rock polishing media to your grip after the stock texturing has been removed. Add glitter to taste if you want a bit more color and flare. Adding grip material can also be done surprisingly well with Devcon 290 black epoxy and a lot of patience.

Changing the shape of the grip module is also relatively easy. Shortening rails or grips can be done with ease in the event that the SIG factory grip module options don’t meet your exact needs. A simple hacksaw or a Dremel cut off wheel work well for minor changes. Make your cuts just short of your desired length and use a file to get a straight and even edge. Follow up with sand paper starting at 200 grit and working up to 600 grit to match the factory finish. A small amount of oil may be helpful to eliminate smaller scratch marks when doing final sanding work with your 600 grit sandpaper.

Finally, if all or any of this still sounds like something you would rather leave to the professionals then you are in luck. A great community of aftermarket support is readily cropping up around the P320. It’s very easy to order P320 precut grip tape in several styles and colors. Base pad options are plentiful. The number of custom holsters being made for the platform is unending. Expect to see more companies who specialize in grip texturing to step forward to not only offer P320 services but to have grip modules pre-textured and ready to sell to enthusiastic customizers.

The SIG SAUER P320 is revolutionary and the extent and benefits of its modularity are still being discovered by users. Expect to see and hear much more about the P320 in the future and expect to see a near endless supply of grips options and other accessories supplied by the combination of SIG, aftermarket providers, and custom shops. Get one and decide how you want to customize it to make it your own.

Editor’s note: This article’s featured photo with the light mounted on the SIG SAUER P320 rail features custom stippling and magazine well work completed by Scott Springer at Springer Precision.

P320 Grip Module Custom Configurations

Luke
04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
I just wanna know what alma uses for color. Sand?

Sam
04-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Hard for me to want to do anything else except order a grip module straight from boresight.

https://bsgduty.com/product-category/sigp320/

Alma
04-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Glitter of course. I don't like using it but occasionally do after persistent request. The texturing provided by the silicon carbide media is significant better than stippling.

Alma
04-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Let me know if you have anything specific questions. I have over 80 P320 grip mods under my belt now.

Clusterfrack
04-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Hard for me to want to do anything else except order a grip module straight from boresight.

That's nice looking, but pretty expensive for what it is. The texturing doesn't come up high enough for me. I stipple my grip frames all the way up to the slide lock lever.

Clusterfrack
04-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Alma,

I heard a rumor from one of the Sig team that an all-metal gripframe was in the works. Can you comment on that?

That seems like an obvious way to level the field for p320 vs. CZ/Tanfo.

(BTW I have one of your grip mods coming for my GGI 320. Really looking forward to trying it!)

UNK
04-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Do you have a website?

Let me know if you have anything specific questions. I haven't over 80 P320 grip mods under my belt now.

BES
04-19-2016, 09:05 PM

TWO HUNDRED SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS ...for that?!?!?! Wow.....

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Alma,

I heard a rumor from one of the Sig team that an all-metal gripframe was in the works. Can you comment on that?

That seems like an obvious way to level the field for p320 vs. CZ/Tanfo.

(BTW I have one of your grip mods coming for my GGI 320. Really looking forward to trying it!)

I know that a metal P320 grip has been discussed but I am out of the loop on if or when SIG might roll with that. There is, of course a redesigned grip coming shortly for the competition variant which should be out this summer. Among other features like its huge magwell it also has a tungsten insert in the backstrap channel. Assuming that feature stays it is something that can be removed if a user doesn't like how it balances the gun. The goal is to have this gun be unquestionably competitive with the CZ and Tanfos. I don't think it needs a metal grip to do that but regardless of what the next version has I have no doubt that SIG will continue to enhance the platform over the coming years.

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:37 PM
So let me share some of my work.
Here is the grip job I did for Lena Miculek. I built up the thumb groove, took down the factory textury, retextured with silicon carbide, inset the medallions, and undercut in front of the trigger guard since she is currently trying riding two fingers up front.
http://i.imgur.com/nKOxH0G.jpg

And here is one I did for Kyle Lamb. Same basic silicon carbide texturing but made a VTAC dagger on the grip. I flared the front of the magwell and double undercut the trigger guard.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/12744420_954189077967710_3070428975201850327_n.jpg ?oh=367e673b60c4101d32351969e3b49a84&oe=57937B6B

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Here is a IDPA ESP grip I did for a guy. Don't ask me to do it again. I essentially used Devcon DA290 to flare out the magwell on the front and build it all the way around, filling the wing cuts typically found on the P320.

http://i.imgur.com/jrzU3nj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YZg6Nx0l.jpg

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Almost on a dare I made a SAS style P320. This is a compact grip with the trigger guard rounded, rail and then some filled and chopped to the length of a subcompact but designed to ride with a Compact slide. The guy I sold it to had it cerakoted.
http://i.imgur.com/W93tikh.jpg?1

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Compact grip cut and hogged out for subcompact magazines. There are few limits on grip and slide combinations.
http://i.imgur.com/rWdnZHl.jpg

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Here is another one of Kyle Lamb's guns coming from Grayguns. This one has a bit more aggressive texturing, Bruce's new trigger, and prototype VTAC P320 sights.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12806022_1137364179616498_8522467115882751074_n.jp g?oh=0527efb40401d8c7a86fc7bdc8ddb8cc&oe=579449C1

Luke
04-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Beautiful work Alma!

Alma
04-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Here is my personal 3 Gun setup shown with one of the new SIG factory 21 round magazines (140mm).
I run a large grip module and I built the bottom out to fit a stainless steel STI magwell. I have another 2.5oz of brass embedded inside the magwell channel too.

http://i.imgur.com/hxmhuy0h.jpg

Luke
04-19-2016, 09:54 PM
I would do very bad things to get that rear sight on my gun!!

Alma
04-19-2016, 10:01 PM

Patience...

BES
04-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Damn those look awesome! Is that stuff too aggressive to put on a carry gun in appendix ? Would it rub my skin raw, or is it a rubbery texture ?

Alma
04-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Damn those look awesome! Is that stuff too aggressive to put on a carry gun in appendix ? Would it rub my skin raw, or is it a rubbery texture ?

I have some 80 grip that might be okay IWB. I wouldn't do it with anything more aggressive. You can even go finer from there. I need to give this a try myself but haven't gotten around to it yet.
For the time being my personal Compact has an ODG grip that Tommy Roupe of Roupe grips did for me. Very effective stippling that isn't too uncomfortable IWB and he usually charges $80 instead of some of the more extravagant fees I have seen for stippling work (not saying they don't have lot of time in on each grip).
P.S. This gun is currently on loan to Scott Warren who is adapting his sights to the P320 platform.

http://i.imgur.com/0Vj3m8D.jpg

Clusterfrack
04-20-2016, 04:01 PM
Here's one of my carry guns. Stippled using an OTD waffle tip (http://shop.otdefense.com/OTD-Waffle-Stipple-Tip-OTD-ST-WAFFLE.htm).

Clusterfrack
04-20-2016, 07:11 PM
I know that a metal P320 grip has been discussed but I am out of the loop on if or when SIG might roll with that. There is, of course a redesigned grip coming shortly for the competition variant which should be out this summer. Among other features like its huge magwell it also has a tungsten insert in the backstrap channel. Assuming that feature stays it is something that can be removed if a user doesn't like how it balances the gun. The goal is to have this gun be unquestionably competitive with the CZ and Tanfos. I don't think it needs a metal grip to do that but regardless of what the next version has I have no doubt that SIG will continue to enhance the platform over the coming years.

Thanks, Alma.

I have not had the chance to shoot (or even hold) the 320 "competition", and will try to keep an open mind. I have shot Glocks with Seattle Slugs and heavy brass magwells, and do not like the balance compared to a 2011 Limited gun or CZ. For me, the added weight in the wrong place doesn't offset the more sluggish transitions compared to a light polymer gun.

I really think that a metal gripframe will be what brings hardcore CZ/Tanfo shooters to the 320. This seems like such an easy product to manufacture.

UNK
04-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Let me know if you have anything specific questions. I have over 80 P320 grip mods under my belt now.

Do you have a website?

Alma
04-21-2016, 02:05 PM
No, except Grayguns has started to sell some of my grips though it's store but otherwise contact me if you need something. This is not a day job for me so I have to balance how much grip work I take on. I am working with another shooter now who I am getting up to speed on my process so that the workload can be shared.

germanturkey
04-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Alma, i'm really interested in the compact frame cut to subcompact height. it really seems strange that sig would not sell something in that configuration.

Alma
04-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Alma, i'm really interested in the compact frame cut to subcompact height. it really seems strange that sig would not sell something in that configuration.

SIG is most of the way there since you can absolutely run a Compact slide on a subcompact grip. A few people are even making holsters specifically for that setup. Doing a clean job of modifying a Compact grip was a bit tricky but doable if you have patience. The subcompact magazine is designed to fit up inside the grip so in addition to cutting the wing slots you need to remove material from the front to allow the front of the magazine to clear.

Clusterfrack
04-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Here's a Compact slide on a SC gripframe. I have a nice JM Custom holster for this setup.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/d740efd68fab904943e678e6a3ab7c43.jpg

11B10
04-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Here's one of my carry guns. Stippled using an OTD waffle tip (http://shop.otdefense.com/OTD-Waffle-Stipple-Tip-OTD-ST-WAFFLE.htm).

Cluster - First, I love what you've done to your 320 - nice job! I have a 320C, with just a few mods (the new slim, takedown lever for one) - But I'm wondering why no one has addressed the very sharp edges on all the "corners" on and around the trigger guard. I can see you still have them on your pistol. I used medium and fine emery cloth to remove mine, blending the "swirls" with the fine cloth. Doesn't anyone else mind those?

Clusterfrack
04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Cluster - First, I love what you've done to your 320 - nice job! I have a 320C, with just a few mods (the new slim, takedown lever for one) - But I'm wondering why no one has addressed the very sharp edges on all the "corners" on and around the trigger guard. I can see you still have them on your pistol. I used medium and fine emery cloth to remove mine, blending the "swirls" with the fine cloth. Doesn't anyone else mind those?

Thanks dude! I hadn't noticed but now that you've pointed it out...

UNK
04-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Do you mix the silicon carbide with the Devcon before application? What tools do you recommend for shaping?

Alma
04-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Do you mix the silicon carbide with the Devcon before application? What tools do you recommend for shaping?

I only use the Devcon for reshaping. For the grit I use a paintbrush to apply Loctite Marine epoxy and then apply grit.

PPGMD
04-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Alma's grip work is excellent. He has done two grips for me, and they are the best grips I have ever used for gun games.

And they are also a natural exfoliator, if you care about such things. :P

JPedersen
04-26-2016, 09:23 AM

I second that! The setup looks fantastic and functional. How did you embed the additional brass weight ?

SCSU74
04-26-2016, 09:54 AM
http://teamsigsauer.com/customizing-the-sig-p320-grip-module/

Customizing the Grip Module

The stock texturing on the P320 is a perfect mix of being aggressive enough for tough range use without being uncomfortable to carry close to the body. Some, however, may prefer sharper or smoother texturing. Others may prefer for texturing to be on other areas of the grip which don’t typically come textured from the factory. This could include such things as stippling above the thumb rest, between the factory textured areas, under the trigger guard, or the insertion of index points on the side of the grip module. Where grip modification was once a specialty only to be attempted by the brave and highly skilled, now anyone can make the gun truly their own by adding personal touches or preferred modifications.

Aside from simple changing of different factory grip module options, grip stippling is the most common permanent grip modification performed. Basic stippling requires very few tools and is fairly easy to attempt. A soldering iron or wood burning kit is usually the tool of choice for the job. Irons that have temperature control adjustment built in are preferred since a cooler iron will produce a sharper texture while a hot iron will melt more material and provide a smoother, less aggressive finish. You may want to experiment with basic grip tape in areas that you want textured before making permanent modifications. This will help you to feel how adjustment change your ability to hold the gun and can help identify other areas you may want to leave alone for comfort’s sake.

Wood burning kits include a variety of tips that will make different patterns resulting in different visual and practical results. The best thing to do is look at examples of stippling online and then go to work practicing on polymer material before working on a grip module. Old polymer AR15 magazines are favorite testbeds and the holster that comes with the P320 also makes for a great first test. Keep temperature, angle, and pressure as consistent as possible throughout the process to ensure an even and consistent look.

Taping up lines in preparation for grip work

You may choose to pre-mark the areas with masking tape to ensure straight lines. The most professional texturing jobs often remove the factory texturing with a Dremel sanding drum or similar before beginning to stipple. This can make the final product look even cleaner and will improve the lines and transition areas between your stippling and factory texturing. As with all things do it yourself, YouTube videos can be a great resource to learn the best methods from others who are experienced.

For the ultimate in cheese grater, competition shooting grip traction, you can use epoxy to apply silicon carbide rock polishing media to your grip after the stock texturing has been removed. Add glitter to taste if you want a bit more color and flare. Adding grip material can also be done surprisingly well with Devcon 290 black epoxy and a lot of patience.

Changing the shape of the grip module is also relatively easy. Shortening rails or grips can be done with ease in the event that the SIG factory grip module options don’t meet your exact needs. A simple hacksaw or a Dremel cut off wheel work well for minor changes. Make your cuts just short of your desired length and use a file to get a straight and even edge. Follow up with sand paper starting at 200 grit and working up to 600 grit to match the factory finish. A small amount of oil may be helpful to eliminate smaller scratch marks when doing final sanding work with your 600 grit sandpaper.

Finally, if all or any of this still sounds like something you would rather leave to the professionals then you are in luck. A great community of aftermarket support is readily cropping up around the P320. It’s very easy to order P320 precut grip tape in several styles and colors. Base pad options are plentiful. The number of custom holsters being made for the platform is unending. Expect to see more companies who specialize in grip texturing to step forward to not only offer P320 services but to have grip modules pre-textured and ready to sell to enthusiastic customizers.

The SIG SAUER P320 is revolutionary and the extent and benefits of its modularity are still being discovered by users. Expect to see and hear much more about the P320 in the future and expect to see a near endless supply of grips options and other accessories supplied by the combination of SIG, aftermarket providers, and custom shops. Get one and decide how you want to customize it to make it your own.

Editor’s note: This article’s featured photo with the light mounted on the SIG SAUER P320 rail features custom stippling and magazine well work completed by Scott Springer at Springer Precision.

P320 Grip Module Custom Configurations

I had Alma do my duty gun, it is awesome. I'll never go back to stippling. I sent him a frame and he had it back to me in about a week. He's very responsive to questions and asks for input along the way. When I had mine done he had two levels of grit, one for comp and one that wasn't as aggressive, I chose the lesser of the two and it was great.

Luke
04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Alma, I'm ready to purchase a grip. PM sent on here and on Enos.

Clusterfrack
05-11-2016, 05:38 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7822&d=1463006217

I've had a couple of weeks to play with the new gripframe from Alma, and I LIKE IT. As a rule, I never make equipment changes before a major match, but hey--rules are made to be broken. I'll be using this gripframe at Area 1.

Full description of build here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11441-SIG-Pictures&p=443285&viewfull=1#post443285)

MGW
05-12-2016, 09:09 AM
https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7822&d=1463006217

I've had a couple of weeks to play with the new gripframe from Alma, and I LIKE IT. As a rule, I never make equipment changes before a major match, but hey--rules are made to be broken. I'll be using this gripframe at Area 1.

Full description of build here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11441-SIG-Pictures&p=443285&viewfull=1#post443285)

What is the POA/POI with that sight set up Clusterfrack? And do you remember what it was with the stock sights?

Clusterfrack
05-12-2016, 09:20 AM
What is the POA/POI with that sight set up Clusterfrack? And do you remember what it was with the stock sights?

POI is at the top edge of the front sight at 25 yds with 125 gr minor loads.

OEM sights were bizarrely ~8" high at 25. :confused: WTF Sig???

MGW
05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
POI is at the top edge of the front sight at 25 yds with 125 gr minor loads.

OEM sights were bizarrely ~8" high at 25. :confused: WTF Sig???

Ditto on our example. Looking at ordering a set of Dawson's.

Clusterfrack
05-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Ditto on our example. Looking at ordering a set of Dawson's.

I measured the equivalent Dawson Competition rear and here are the numbers:

Rear height: 0.200"
Rear notch: 0.125"

These should match:
Dawson P series FO front sight: 0.220” tall, 0.115” wide

MGW
05-12-2016, 09:25 PM
I measured the equivalent Dawson Competition rear and here are the numbers:

Rear height: 0.200"
Rear notch: 0.125"

These should match:
Dawson P series FO front sight: 0.220” tall, 0.115” wide

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Luke
05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
If anybody is not sure if they should send there grip to alma.. Just do it! So happy I did!!

Blue and red glatter (gat glitter).

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/606F9589-73E7-4F9B-A34D-7D50E657FFE2_zpssfd0pwhh.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/606F9589-73E7-4F9B-A34D-7D50E657FFE2_zpssfd0pwhh.jpg.html)

P.E. Kelley
05-13-2016, 10:25 AM
A good friend of mine has finally gone public with is grip work.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s7/v156/p2073232595-3.jpg

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s/v-2/p1904560614-3.jpg

P.E. Kelley
05-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Two more.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s3/v43/p1919781217-3.jpg

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s4/v65/p2077419373-3.jpg