PDA

View Full Version : Holster options for the new 1911

Odin Bravo One
04-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Broken off from my Delta Elite thread. (The search and GTS features are not very well enabled on the network I'm using)

Looking for a work grade leather holster IWB or OWB as long as it is open top and holds the gun snug against the body and doesn't let it fall out while still giving me the ability to draw quickly when necessary. Sexy doesn't matter. I'll consider Kydex only if it's lined.

Thanks.

Sigfan26
04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
What price point?

BillSWPA
04-18-2016, 10:22 PM
Be careful with lined holsters. If it is lined with suede, be aware that most suede is chrome tanned, which is not good for the finish of your gun. You want vegetable tanned leather if you go the leather route. Bare Kydex has never been a problem with the finish on any of my guns.

I notice the ambidextrous thumb safety on the new gun. To prevent the possibility of accidently wiping off the safety, I suggest a holster that holds the safety in the on safe position. Matt Del Fatti made such a holster for me, modifying the reinforced sweat shield to terminate just under the safety lever. He will need to know the specific safety you are using so that he knows exactly how to shape the portion under the thumb safety.

orionz06
04-18-2016, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't put a gun that had a finish I cared about in a lined kydex holster. It's sorta the worst of both worlds.

Sigfan26
04-18-2016, 10:40 PM
I'd look at a Mitch Rosen 5JR at the least. Nod would go to a 5Shot or JRC rig, personally.

vcdgrips
04-18-2016, 11:34 PM
55BN by Sparks or a Kramer Vertical Scabbard in horsehide

Trooper224
04-19-2016, 01:05 AM
The Trojan by International Handgun Leather has become my go-to IWB holster.
http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?productId=97&categoryId=3

I've been using it for a number of years with the 1911, as well as a couple of other guns over the last couple of years. It's stable, comfortable and secure.

I also have one of these for the 1911.
http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?productId=159&categoryId=2

It's a fancy version of the company's Combat Classic. It's a good rendition of the standard pancake style holster. It also holds the gun securely and allows quick access.

The quality is as good as any company you'd care to name. Delivery time is good too. On the chance you'll need to deal with the company owner directly, you won't run into the massive ego of someone like Kramer or Rosen.

Jason M
04-19-2016, 07:41 AM
I carried a 1911 OWB in a Kramer belt scabbard or vertical belt scabbard for years. Both were constructed of unlined horsehide and were purchased somewhere around 2003ish. The belt scabbard (pancake style) holds the gun a little closer to the body than the vertical and is easier to conceal beneath an untucked shirt which suits my daily routine. For me, the vertical scabbard was more of a utility/range holster but, as always, YMMV. Both are well molded and secure the pistol very well. I wore them with a red gun during some courses that involved grappling and other physical exertion. They were worn with a Kramer horsehide belt and made for the most stable holster/belt combo that I have ever owned. I still use the same belt from 2003 but after almost daily wear and a ton of abuse, it is just about ready to be replaced. The horsehide products are really sturdy and have long service lives. They cost a little more than some others and the designs are anything but fancy but I think they represent one of the best values in leather gear available.

For IWB carry I used a Garrity Incognito. It was exceptionally comfortable and sort of molded to my hip as I wore it. The belt loops were designed to snap on and off of the holster. They simply threaded onto the belt and then snapped on to the holster once it was inserted into the waistband. Mark is a really good guy and makes exceptionally well made, innovative designs. I have compared the versimax II to the incognito. They are close in comfort and concealment but the versimax II does not have the snap on loops.

Talionis
04-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Anyone know if Milts Sparks still makes a Summer Special II?

Yes, yes they do. Jim made this one for me last year. I prefer the SSII to any other 3-4 o'clock IWB holsters for its balance of speed, concealability, and comfort.

Robinson
04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
I've purchased a few holsters made by Luke Adams and he makes good stuff. He offers both IWB and OWB leather holsters for a 5" railed or non-railed 1911 (and many other guns). Standard or exotic leathers. I think Luke's lead time is 14-16 weeks at this point though.

www.adamsholsters.com

rob_s
04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Versa Max II (http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php)

LSP552
04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
I've been a long time user of Milt Sparks leather; Summer Special, Summer Special 2 and the Versa Max 2. I have come to prefer the VM2. I find it hides better on me due to the loop placement and feels more comfortable with a heavy gun.

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2016, 01:27 PM
What price point?

Irrelevant. Price never effects my purchase decisions.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the VM II before I go deep into a purchase. Appreciate the heads up on Kydex. Not that it's a safe queen, but I've destroyed so many finishes with Kydex it's sickening. Sure it gives some character but raw metal is not my preferred coating on a pistol that is going to be rubbing against my sweaty love handles.

orionz06
04-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Lined Kydex will do more harm to the finish than Kydex or leather alone.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Crusader8207
04-19-2016, 01:52 PM
I tried the Milt Sparks VM II for the 1911 and felt that the gun ride a little high. I was looking at the Milt Sparks Criterion as it sits lower and also has the magnetic snaps.
http://www.miltsparks.com/products-criterion.php

El Cid
04-19-2016, 01:58 PM
For IWB (without a light), my go-to holster since 1997 has been the McDaniel II from Andrews Leather. Sam is a wonderful guy to deal with and a skilled craftsman. You can get it open top, with a body shield, or with a thumbbreak.

He builds them with the rough side out which gives a smooth draw, and keeps it from shifting around too much in your pants. The steel reinforced mouth will not collapse so holstering one-handed is simple. The best part is the loop. Because it's behind the gun, the belt pulls the gun in close to the body making my P14-45, Glock 22/17, etc. disappear under a t-shirt. The loop can be adjusted with a locking screw/swivel to whatever angle best fits you, and it comes with two (you can buy a 3rd) loops so you can have one for an instructors' belt and one for a dress/suit gun belt. With the snap on the loop, you can also remove or don it quickly without undoing your belt. I hated every IWB holster I tried for years until I discovered this one. Now I have 5 of them for 5 different weapons.

http://andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

Don't let the pic fool you either. The trigger guard design was updated years ago (he spends more time making holsters than updating the website), and covers the trigger completely.

Talionis
04-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I'll bring up one point regarding the VMII, which many recommend. I have some experience with a couple different versions of the VMII, both for Gov't 1911's. I am fairly thin, and found the belt footprint of the VMII to be excessive for my body type. In theory the wings make for a slimmer holster, but what happened for me was that the extra width meant I had to cinch my belt much tighter than normal in an attempt to get the holster to conform to my body, and even so I had to keep the gun much farther back than I prefer because of the width.

After talking with Jim (who runs the day to day operations at Milt Sparks and whom I shoot with on a regular basis) about it, we agreed that the SSII would be best for me. I find it fairly significantly more concealable and comfortable than the VMII. Obviously everyone is different and Jim usually carries in a VMII himself, unless he's testing a new product.

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Thin is not a word used to describe my build since I was probably 10. Maybe younger.

I may just have to buy a few. It's not like I'm on 1911 welfare......plenty of guns that need holsters, and when I stopped carrying one routinely at work, all of the holsters kind of disappeared.

rob_s
04-19-2016, 03:32 PM
I'll bring up one point regarding the VMII, which many recommend. I have some experience with a couple different versions of the VMII, both for Gov't 1911's. I am fairly thin, and found the belt footprint of the VMII to be excessive for my body type. In theory the wings make for a slimmer holster, but what happened for me was that the extra width meant I had to cinch my belt much tighter than normal in an attempt to get the holster to conform to my body, and even so I had to keep the gun much farther back than I prefer because of the width.

After talking with Jim (who runs the day to day operations at Milt Sparks and whom I shoot with on a regular basis) about it, we agreed that the SSII would be best for me. I find it fairly significantly more concealable and comfortable than the VMII. Obviously everyone is different and Jim usually carries in a VMII himself, unless he's testing a new product.

As you mention, everyone is different, but I carried a fullsize 1911 in a VMII for years when I was still closer to 32" waist vs the 36" I'm edging in on now. The wing design is about all that made the holster work for me as the snaps on top of the gun made the whole thing bulge too much.

JRCHolsters
04-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Broken off from my Delta Elite thread. (The search and GTS features are not very well enabled on the network I'm using)

Looking for a work grade leather holster IWB or OWB as long as it is open top and holds the gun snug against the body and doesn't let it fall out while still giving me the ability to draw quickly when necessary. Sexy doesn't matter. I'll consider Kydex only if it's lined.

Thanks.

Sean..... Really????

HCM
04-19-2016, 04:35 PM
I tried the Milt Sparks VM II for the 1911 and felt that the gun ride a little high. I was looking at the Milt Sparks Criterion as it sits lower and also has the magnetic snaps.
http://www.miltsparks.com/products-criterion.php

If you want the gun to sit lower, try the Sparks Executive Companion. Like the VMII it works well for those of us who are not flacito :p

Crusader8207
04-19-2016, 04:50 PM
If you want the gun to sit lower, try the Sparks Executive Companion. Like the VMII it works well for those of us who are not flacito :p

Ah good to know. Thank you.

LSP972
04-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Be careful with lined holsters. If it is lined with suede, be aware that most suede is chrome tanned, which is not good for the finish of your gun. You want vegetable tanned leather if you go the leather route. Bare Kydex has never been a problem with the finish on any of my guns.

Truth; that "suede" lining, popularized on SafariLand premium holsters, also collects and holds grit, big dust, etc.

If you're looking for OWB leather, I'll echo the Rosen 5JR… AND his V double mag pouch. Super primo stuff. IWB leather, yeah, the VMII pretty much rules there for most physiques.

I'm guessing the finishes you trashed with kydex were regular bluing?* I can see that. But I've been carrying various HKs and Glocks IWB in kydex for almost ten years now, got some bright edges and corners, but nothing dramatic. Can post a pic of my training HK45C, which hasn't seen anything BUT kydex for eight years and close to 15K rounds… maybe half that number of presentations.

*That was meant for SeanM, Bill.

45dotACP
04-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I've just picked up a Galco Combat Master...as far as a leather pancake OWB holster goes, I'm liking it. It conceals decently, even under a t shirt, though I'd carry it under a jacket.

I'm not crazy about soft loop summer special type holsters. For that sweet sweet Chris James blaster, I'd grab something custom...I'm thinking JRC or a VMII

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

JAD
04-19-2016, 08:06 PM
I carry 1911s in a milt sparks ex-rso most of the time. Both the SS2 and the VM2 want to ride too far back on me -- I prefer the gun at the point of the hip. The ex does that better than any holster I've found. It does ride pretty deep.

I have a 5 shot SME for a full size that will probably get some work when the next MARS project comes in. It appears to be perfect, but I haven't carried a 5" in a long time.

I have a very similar (to the SME) JRC IWB-SS inbound that will see work sooner -- as a dedicated 1.25" rig for dress wear. My current 1.25" rig is a Rosen ARG that blows goats.

I have a JRC SSA that is far superior to the Kramer vertical scabbards I've had in execution and retention. My main Kramer got loose after a rainy thunder ranch course.

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2016, 09:09 PM
I've purchased a few holsters made by Luke Adams and he makes good stuff. He offers both IWB and OWB leather holsters for a 5" railed or non-railed 1911 (and many other guns). Standard or exotic leathers. I think Luke's lead time is 14-16 weeks at this point though.

www.adamsholsters.com

Fortunately, (and not) I have the time to wait........

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Sean..... Really????

It was suggested. My issue is that your shit is too nice to beat up and abuse the way this is going to get beat up and abused. It wil feel like it is a red-headed step child.

Plus I want to save my credits for something nice, like exotic materials and sexy BBQ shit, not run of the mill production stuff.

Odin Bravo One
04-19-2016, 09:17 PM
I have a 5 shot SME for a full size that will probably get some work when the next MARS project comes in. It appears to be perfect, but I haven't carried a 5" in a long time.

Steve has built six guns for me over the last ten years. Nice guns, especially the BHP.

JAD
04-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Steve has built six guns for me over the last ten years. Nice guns, especially the BHP.
I have a P35 and a '68 lightweight commander he done. There is a Series 70 in my trunk that will be Utah bound soon...

JDM
04-19-2016, 10:22 PM
The Trojan by International Handgun Leather has become my go-to IWB holster.
http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?productId=97&categoryId=3

I've been using it for a number of years with the 1911, as well as a couple of other guns over the last couple of years. It's stable, comfortable and secure.

I also have one of these for the 1911.
http://shop.ihlusa.com/product.sc?productId=159&categoryId=2

It's a fancy version of the company's Combat Classic. It's a good rendition of the standard pancake style holster. It also holds the gun securely and allows quick access.

The quality is as good as any company you'd care to name. Delivery time is good too. On the chance you'll need to deal with the company owner directly, you won't run into the massive ego of someone like Kramer or Rosen.

Thanks for mentioning IHL. I wandered into a gun shop in the east valley of the Phoenix area 11 years ago and left with an IHL mag pouch that still sees use to this day. I had neglected to look at their current offerings until your post. They make an excellent product.

Trooper224
04-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Thanks for mentioning IHL. I wandered into a gun shop in the east valley of the Phoenix area 11 years ago and left with an IHL mag pouch that still sees use to this day. I had neglected to look at their current offerings until your post. They make an excellent product.

I happened upon them by chance several years ago and decided to take a chance. It worked out, as I haven't bought leather from anyone else since. In one case things didn't go as planned and the owner was a class act in his handling of it. For those not familiar, they're known as Martin and Son in the Cowboy/Western Tack arena.

entropy
04-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Take a look at Privateer Leather. Wes is a great guy with reasonable turn times. Quite a few options too. I have a few of his holsters for both revolvers and my BHPs and could not be happier.

Lost River
04-20-2016, 05:59 PM
A 55BN would be a top choice, at least for me.

Trooper224
04-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Alessi holsters are nice to.
http://www.alessigunholsters.com/

BobM
04-20-2016, 08:48 PM
Several years ago I carried a Kimber Desert Warrior off duty for a couple years. I used a Sparks SS-II and a Kramer Belt Scabbard. Both worked very well. I use a Sparks 55BN with my M&P; it's a good holster too.

JAD
04-22-2016, 09:31 PM
The Alessi DOJ is one of the classic owb 1911 holsters. I tend to hit my knuckle on the belt snap.

I wore the SME last couple days and shot from it some today. It is very comfortable. The rake is pretty profound, maybe 20' on my example. It rides as deep as an EX. Fit and retention were excellent. The fixed belt loops hide very well. I don't believe the leather locks the safety on.

Sorry it's an iPhone pic.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/4bc55eb0dfb7d4cf7a7f6ebd44d9904e.jpg

JohnO
04-22-2016, 09:49 PM
I have been extremely pleased with my Andrews Custom MacDaniel 2. A 5" 1911 vanishes under a t-shirt or even under a solid color form fitting merino wool sweater.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

I have been using my MacDaniel 2 for approximately 4 years and only recently ran across this How it's Made video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36YrAHglme0

Crusader8207
04-23-2016, 12:06 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160423/63b69a14476d7097e589dee7efdd884e.jpg

I was able to pick up an SME for my Nighthawk this week. I've worn it a few days and find it to be an amazing holster. Haven't been to the range with it but have done some dry practice. This is a very well thought out design. As JAD said it sits nice and low and doesn't print. I am able to get a good grip however it has taken a little practice to get a great grip. If I go too fast, the grip is sloppy. Overall very pleased with the SME by 5 Shot.

JAD
04-23-2016, 08:24 AM
I ha e said 'SME' twice in this thread when I meant 'IBS'. Soz.

JTQ
04-23-2016, 10:49 AM
I ha e said 'SME' twice in this thread when I meant 'IBS'. Soz.
I think my subconscious registered that, but I read right through it knowing it was an IBS in your picture. However, I think something in my mind was saying 20 degrees of cant and SME didn't match.

Tucker Gun Leather has some nice looking stuff. The HF1 always looks like an OWB holster that can take a beating. HF1 http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-hf1-belt-holster/

The Answer is the original hybrid IWB http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-answer-iwb/

Davis Leather is another option http://davisleathercompany.com/concealedcarry/

Odin Bravo One
04-23-2016, 12:40 PM
I decided on JRC leather for a couple of 1911 holsters. Jim makes top quality stuff and while I didn't really want/need pretty, I feel that a personal relationship with a holster maker is as important as that relationship with custom gun makers. I have that with Jim, and have already been plenty impressed with several other JRC Leather products I own.

JAD
04-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Don't jump my queue, man.

Chuck Whitlock
04-24-2016, 03:56 PM
I decided on JRC leather for a couple of 1911 holsters. Jim makes top quality stuff and while I didn't really want/need pretty, I feel that a personal relationship with a holster maker is as important as that relationship with custom gun makers. I have that with Jim, and have already been plenty impressed with several other JRC Leather products I own.

Late to the party, but just wanted to add that Milt Sparks SSII's are in stock at Brownells, if you want something while waiting for the good stuff:

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holsters/inside-the-waistband-holsters/semi-auto-summer-special-2-prod9922.aspx

HCM
04-24-2016, 06:31 PM

To quote the late Skeeter Skelton:

I’ve been a cop most of my adult life, a hunter since I could cock a hammer, and a pistol packer for nearly 30 years. My holster maker is as important to me as my doctor.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/hide_for_your_handgun.htm

Dagga Boy
04-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Sean..... Really????

I just saw this thread and thought the exact same thing. Glad it came to a good conclusion. While I love my gator rig from JRC, his plain horsehide stuff wears well and is great hard use leather.

Cool Breeze
05-04-2016, 09:40 PM
I just got an ssa from him and so far really digging it. What model did you get?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk