PDA

View Full Version : So this was interesting

Drdan
04-18-2016, 03:45 PM
So I am a new(ish) shooter and a scientist. I was in graduate school during the cold fusion years and watched scientists go crazy over what was the truth. In the end the truth was hard to determine.

With respect to the pistol/defensive training world, I have been surprised how often different training programs are either loved or hated or both.

How does a new shooter know the truth.

I thought this post was interesting and made sense to me.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/commonalities-among-trainers/

Odin Bravo One
04-18-2016, 04:02 PM
I read/listen to as close to everything this man puts out as I can.

Wondering Beard
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM
I read/listen to as close to everything this man puts out as I can.

+1

okie john
04-18-2016, 05:10 PM
How does a new shooter know the truth.

There's so much bullshit out there that you probably don't. Even a lot of experienced shooters never find it.

There is only one Truth. It gets expressed a lot of different ways, but it always boils down to "only hits count." How and where you make those hits (technique), why you should or should not make them (legal and moral issues), when you should start trying to make them (tactics and mindset), what you should use to make them (hardware/gear), and how you should prepare yourself to make them (software/training) is a huge gray area.

If you stick around here very long, you will come to see several paths through the grass. They all lead to the Truth in one way or another. That is not true of most other sites that claim to focus on this stuff.

Okie John

Tom Givens
04-18-2016, 05:13 PM
There is only one Truth. It gets expressed a lot of different ways, but it always boils down to "only hits count." How and where you make those hits (technique), why you should or should not make them (legal and moral issues), when you should start trying to make them (tactics and mindset), what you should use to make them (hardware/gear), and how you should prepare yourself to make them (software/training) is a huge gray area.

Okie John[/QUOTE]

That is one of the most wisdom filled single sentences I have seen on the interwebs.

okie john
04-18-2016, 06:09 PM
That is one of the most wisdom filled single sentences I have seen on the interwebs.

Thank you.

Okie John

Duelist
04-18-2016, 09:17 PM
I have now copied this into my file of significantly thoughtful and wise quotes.

Drdan
04-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Thank you all very much. Also if you dont mind, i think I finally have a signature.

okie john
04-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Thank you all very much. Also if you dont mind, i think I finally have a signature.

If you're talking to me, then go ahead.

Okie John

DacoRoman
04-19-2016, 09:35 AM
I attended that Hackathorn class. Mr. Werner is a classy dude. Mr. Hackathorn let him have the stage at one point and he taught some good info on small guns and calibers. I had no idea he was based in GA.

Chuck Haggard
04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Claude is one of the great minds in our business. His ability to mine out the many little truths is both uncommon and impressive.

I take note that when I see different individuals with significant experience and divergent backgrounds start to come to the same conclusions, that the common ground is where "the answer" tends to be.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
See if this works. Has an article about Claude's snubby class.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/downloads/aug-sep-2010-part1.pdf

DiscipulusArmorum
04-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I've had the pleasure of taking a class from Mr. Werner and look forward to more. He has a wealth of knowledge about topics that many other trainers are ignorant of (how to really run a snub/small pistol) or merely pay lip service to (the OODA loop). In addition, his thoughts on "preventing negative outcomes" have influenced how I approach shooting and other activities in my daily life.

11B10
04-19-2016, 06:30 PM
If you're talking to me, then go ahead.

Okie John

I know I'M talking to you, Sir. That is one of THE best quotes I've ever read - period. Thank you.