PDA

View Full Version : Favorite burger joints

Lon
04-15-2016, 10:22 PM
The thread in the LE section was getting derailed into a burger joint thread so I figured I'd start a new one so we can argue our favorite burger joints. This is about what the I consider Fast food. Not a sit down restaurant kinda burger place.

Around here my favorite joint that serves "conventional" burgers is Five Guys. Love the burgers and the fries. Never had a bad burger there. I get a bacon double with BBQ sauce as the only condiment. Mmmmmmmm. And fries, did I mention the fries? Damn good fries.

White Castle sliders are in a league of there own. I prefer to get a variety of different sliders when I go. I usually get a couple doubles, a couple dbl bacon, a couple jalapeño and a couple of fish with some onion pedals. My colon is usually displeased with my choices, but it's worth it. Love me some sliders.

So what's your favorite burger chain and why?

orionz06
04-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Chain...? Honestly... Steak 'n' Shake. Cheap as shit and for whatever reason just gives me the warm and fuzzies. The garlic shooters, like 5 of them, or the garlic double steakburger are my favorites right now. I hate to even try and describe them with more than a few words but the thinner patties with the soft buns, garlic, and pad of butter are just amazing. Their tiny fries are killer too.

If pressed for a good burger, no chain, I'll try a steakhouse. More often than not I can get a solid burger made how I want and some lobster mac. Otherwise the new trendy burger and shake joints are usually decent too. We have two local chains competing and they do a great job.

Not a huge Five Guys fan, their burgers never wowed me and for some reason they almost always crush the bun.

JohnO
04-15-2016, 10:35 PM
I don't eat out often (especially fast food) but on a recent business trip I had a tasty burger at In-N-Out Burger.

Lon
04-15-2016, 10:40 PM
Steak n Shake has a pretty good "breakfast" burger. The Royale, I think. A dbl w/ an egg and the usual burger stuff.

I hate SnS's fries. Those thin things just piss me off.

Matt O
04-15-2016, 10:47 PM
I'm a Five Guys man myself. In general I believe in supporting local businesses so, being a NoVA native, Five Guys generally gets my money when a burger fix is needed. Their burgers are excellent and their fries are divine.

Duelist
04-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Chain burgers don't excite me.

JAD
04-16-2016, 06:32 AM
5 Guys vs In'n'Out
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11887

MD7305
04-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Around these parts it's mostly Five Guys but we just got a Steak 'N Shake. When I visited DC last fall I ate at a Shake Shack and it was really good. There's a small chain in the Nashville area called Burger Up and I always make a visit when I'm in the area, it's probably my favorite burger place. If you're ever in the Metro-Nashville area I highly recommend looking them up.

Gray222
04-16-2016, 06:54 AM
I knew this thread would happen...

Five guys for quick and greasy.

Though we have some local spots that offer up some seriously delicious burgers.

One place does a half pound prime steam burger, topped with some sort of fine italian meat and provolone, plus some sort of sauce. It works greasy but tastes fantastic.

El Cid
04-16-2016, 07:16 AM
For me it's no contest - What-a-Burger! Discovered it when I was stationed in Texas 15 years ago. They have a few in Florida though sadly the one in Tampa closed. I believe there are still some in the pan handle and I've stopped at one of the Jacksonville stores a few times.

Guinnessman
04-16-2016, 07:35 AM
Five Guys is my favorite chain burger joint followed by In-n-Out. If I am looking for a burger locally, I usually hit up a place called The Back Door Tavern, which is close to the gun club. There are a couple of gourmet burger joints that have opened up as well: BRGR and Burgatory make a good burger.

One of my other favorites is in San Diego if anyone is interested. It's called Hoodad's and has been featured on Diner's, Drive In's, and Dives. It was quite the gut bomb!;)

JM Campbell
04-16-2016, 08:26 AM
For me it's no contest - What-a-Burger! Discovered it when I was stationed in Texas 15 years ago. They have a few in Florida though sadly the one in Tampa closed. I believe there are still some in the pan handle and I've stopped at one of the Jacksonville stores a few times.
Brother in law works at corporate hq in San Antonio, they are expanding.

BTW we can buy their sausage and a whole mess of other items at our local Grocery store HEB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JTQ
04-16-2016, 09:30 AM
I like the service at What-a-Burger. The burgers and fries are pretty good, but the folks working the local store are incredibly friendly and helpful. It seems like it got stuck in a time warp, and I walked into a fast food restaurant 40 years ago. They actually smile, show a sense of urgency getting your order, and seem concerned that you liked what you ordered.

I've been in 5 Guys once. I heard a lot of hype, but wasn't impressed. The burger was fine, but the fries were pretty soggy. They were kind of like the first batch you'd get at the fair, you know before the fryer got up to proper temperature.

I've always liked the Big Mac, but after several visits to McDonald's, standing in line, watching them serve four or five drive through orders before even taking my order, I usually avoid McDonald's unless it's the only thing convenient on a road trip.

babypanther
04-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Im good with 5 Guys or In and Out, Steak-N-Shake is pretty legit too

5pins
04-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Chick-fil-A;)

Dagga Boy
04-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Chick-fil-A;)

Yea, for ......chicken. If you want chicken, bacon, sausage, vegan, soy, eggs, avocado, or whatever....not IN N Out. In in Out does what they do with the highest quality control you will find in the "Fast Food" burger category. The places are immaculate....unlike many of the listed places. The QC on the food itself is unsurpassed. Every tomato has five spokes, the meat is fresh and never frozen...and is meat. The own the farms for the add ons. Same bakery on the bread. Potatoes are rejects from a big chip maker as too big for potato chips, but better for fires. Employee pay and benefits are untouched....which is why their employees are so good. If I want chicken....Chick-fil-A for many of the same reasons. For a Fast Food Burger (places with a drive thru) In N Out.

I do need to try Steak and Shake. We have one nearby and have heard good things, especially the breakfast burger.

Spurholder
04-16-2016, 10:19 AM
I wish In N Out would move east. Last burger I got there was without the bun - iceberg lettuce pieces instead. Killer burger.

Never really liked Five Guys, although their fries are pretty good. White Castle's are awesome, but Krystal (SE US version of WC) recently came out with double and triple burgers, without the extra bun like WC does it. I never, ever thought Krystal compared to WC, but man - stack those thin patties up with grilled onions and cheese...Mmm.

I'm in Nashville, and I frequent Burger Up, too. Here's what I usually get: Burger with locally produced white cheddar, locally produced bacon, and spicy Jack Daniels/maple-infused ketchup on top. With fries.

I think I'll have that for lunch today!

ldunnmobile
04-16-2016, 10:27 AM
What-a-burger for me when it comes to fast food burgers. I don't like 5 guys. I DO want to try In N Out, as all I hear are good things. Steak and shake is decent.

If you're ever in Fort Smith Arkansas...Patrick's Butcher Boy Burgers will put them ALL to shame.

Matt O
04-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Not a huge Five Guys fan, their burgers never wowed me and for some reason they almost always crush the bun.

Yeah, they do crush the bun for some reason - the burgers always end up looking like one solid mass. But in terms of the taste factor, a double bacon cheeseburger with a mound of jalapenos on top is divine.

SeriousStudent
04-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Mooyah Burger here is pretty good. And their fries are spectacular. They are my dog's favorite. We like to sit outside on a bench (outdoor mall) and he eats the fries while I have a tasty burger.

Lon
04-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Burger with locally produced white cheddar, locally produced bacon, and spicy Jack Daniels/maple-infused ketchup on top. With fries.

That sounds heavenly......

trailrunner
04-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Around here my favorite joint that serves "conventional" burgers is Five Guys. Love the burgers and the fries. Never had a bad burger there. I get a bacon double with BBQ sauce as the only condiment. Mmmmmmmm. And fries, did I mention the fries? Damn good fries.

At my previous job, I was about a mile from one of their original locations, and we used to go there for lunch there regularly. Good stuff. Their headquarters is about five miles from my house.

JAD
04-16-2016, 11:58 AM
I like burgers and am quick to try something new. I do prefer local to chain wherever possible.

When traveling I vastly prefer in-n-out to whataburger. I eat 5 guys on the least coast. All this presumes I can't find something local.

Best burgers in KC are at Winstead's. If you haven't been make a trip.

Best in dfw so far is Branded in Midlothian. Their onion rings are worth the drive down.

What's shocking to me is the embarrassment of burger wealth that is Tulsa. Claude's is the best burger I've ever had, and Ron's, Weber's, and Brownie's are all fantastic.

Redhat
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM
In San Antonio, I'll go with Chester's.

Sam
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
In-N-Out: 3X3 animal style, add ketchup and mustard, animal style fries and their lemonade. There's one 2 minutes away and it is visited often.

Jason M
04-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Elevation Burger! The serve fresh hand formed grass-fed beef burgers. The toppings are always fresh and plentiful. The fact that they also offer veggiburger is overshadowed by the fact that they will, on the "Vertigo burger", stack 3-10 patties as you request.

http://elevationburger.com/our-menu/

Dagga Boy
04-16-2016, 12:33 PM
I like the service at What-a-Burger. The burgers and fries are pretty good, but the folks working the local store are incredibly friendly and helpful. It seems like it got stuck in a time warp, and I walked into a fast food restaurant 40 years ago. They actually smile, show a sense of urgency getting your order, and seem concerned that you liked what you ordered.

I've always liked the Big Mac, but after several visits to McDonald's, standing in line, watching them serve four or five drive through orders before even taking my order, I usually avoid McDonald's unless it's the only thing convenient on a road trip.

I find this VERY location dependent. I have been to good What A Burgers as you described. I have been to several that were dirty and the staff sucked. That is one of my favorite things about In N out....super consistent and stick to their standards. Also, the way the do handle screw ups. We had our order "stolen" by some teens. Staff was concerned why were were waiting so long. Manager was on it like stink. Comped our meal and gave us a coupon for another free meal.....and this was for something that they really didn't do wrong.

orionz06
04-16-2016, 12:37 PM
There are a couple of gourmet burger joints that have opened up as well: BRGR and Burgatory make a good burger.

Milkshakes with liquor in them are cool too.

Spurholder
04-16-2016, 12:39 PM
That sounds heavenly......

Just got back from lunch - and it's better than it sounds.

http://www.fodors.com/ee/files/slideshows/9-Burger-Up.jpg

MEH
04-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Chain: Five guys.
Non-chain: Brea's Best in Brea, CA.

Drang
04-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Pretty sure we had a burger thread a couple of years ago, I remember making the joke that all we needed was a Chili: Beans v No Beans thread and someone linked to that one, too...

We have Five Guys here. Not impressed. The burgers are OK, but there are others locally that do as well or better. Their claim to whatever seems to be that a small order of fries will feed a family of four for a week. But, all the hipsters love Five Guys.

Was surprised to see a mention of Moo-Yah Burgers, we had one here in my little slice of suburbia, it went under and is now called "Stacks". Now I'm wondering if it was part of a franchise and had a falling out, or if they weren't part of a franchise and had copyright/trademark issues...

We do have Fatburger here. Pretty good. Also a local franchise called Herfy's, the one closest to us is run by a Korean lady, Mrs. Drang loves the Bulgogi burger.

Two more Western Washington franchises, neither of which have stores close to me, are Kidd Valley and Dick's. Occasionally you will see woman wearing a t-shirt that reads "Forget Hooters, I love Dick's!"

PPGMD
04-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Chain: Probably Smashbuger because of the options. I like their baja burger.
http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Smashburger_Baja_Burger.jpg

Local: Not really only great ones locally.

SeriousStudent
04-16-2016, 01:46 PM
Milkshakes with liquor in them are cool too.

Indeed. Kenny's Burger Joint over in Frisco has grown-up milkshakes. I told my boss I was taking the minions out for burgers and milkshakes. He told me he'd gladly reimburse.

$248 later, he was not as glad.

But the minions were. :cool:

DamonL
04-16-2016, 03:50 PM
I like Social Burger in Vienna, VA. Oh wait, that's my wife's restaurant. Shameless plug.

Joe in PNG
04-16-2016, 04:24 PM
PNG has hamburgers, but they really haven't caught on. The typical PNG hamburger looks like the one from the old "where's the beef" commercial- a massive, heavy, doughy bun with a tiny little patty hiding in the middle.
So far, I've found only one place in PNG that does a good burger- the Lae Yacht Club. Their 'lot burger' is awesome- a massive Aussie style thing with bacon, fried egg, fried onions, cheese, beetroot, tomato, and lettuce that takes a fair bit of strategy to eat.

Dagga Boy
04-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Pretty sure we had a burger thread a couple of years ago, I remember making the joke that all we needed was a Chili: Beans v No Beans thread and someone linked to that one, too...

We have Five Guys here. Not impressed. The burgers are OK, but there are others locally that do as well or better. Their claim to whatever seems to be that a small order of fries will feed a family of four for a week. But, all the hipsters love Five Guys.

Was surprised to see a mention of Moo-Yah Burgers, we had one here in my little slice of suburbia, it went under and is now called "Stacks". Now I'm wondering if it was part of a franchise and had a falling out, or if they weren't part of a franchise and had copyright/trademark issues...

We do have Fatburger here. Pretty good. Also a local franchise called Herfy's, the one closest to us is run by a Korean lady, Mrs. Drang loves the Bulgogi burger.

Two more Western Washington franchises, neither of which have stores close to me, are Kidd Valley and Dick's. Occasionally you will see woman wearing a t-shirt that reads "Forget Hooters, I love Dick's!"

No beans.....duh.

I look at 5 guys as more of a competitor in the sit down places and not as fast food. In this case it is a good burger but not compared to many of the other local sit down joints in most folks areas. We had a Fat Burger close when I lived in California. Loved them. I haven't seen one in a long time.
I like Smash burger, but my kid got a bad chicken sandwhich there once and she refuses to ever eat there, so I don't get it much.

UNK
04-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Johnny Rockets http://www.johnnyrockets.com/ They have one at the Aquarium at Newport a place I visited often when my kids were younger.

Have any of you Florida Texas guys been to this one? http://burgerfi.com/

Jim Watson
04-16-2016, 04:58 PM
I forgot Johnny Rockets. Good but I don't think the one in Five Points South, Birmingham is still open. Otherwise I don't know a chain I would bother mentioning. I do eat chain burgers but only because that is where my Monday Lunch group goes.

Jackdog
04-16-2016, 05:13 PM
In the areas of DFW I run I like Kincaids in Southlake
Deli man/Coppell Deli in Coppell. 2 Different names/locations in Coppell but same owner.
Burgers and Brats in Flower Mound.
Island Burger in Carrollton. Nyeti and Wayne Dobbs mention this place during a HiTS class and it's pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gray222
04-16-2016, 05:14 PM
btw...for anyone that is in vegas or is going to SHOT - bobby flays burger joint....yes plz

JM Campbell
04-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Just had it today, it's ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Stephanie B
04-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Steak & Shake's good. The shakes are the best I've had, other than the Newport Creamery's "Awful Awful" and Tommy's in Cleveland Heights. I don't like their fries, for they're shoestring fries and even if they're right out of the fryolator, they're cold by the time the plate makes it to the table.

AMC
04-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Gotta go with In n Out as far as a fast food burger. Only one I'll let my kids eat. Good quality at good prices, and their employees are fantastically polite and helpful, as Nyeti noted. I've had Five Guys....good burger, ok fries. Good portions, but for the value I'll stick with In n Out. Haven't seen anyone mention Shake Shack from NYC. My cousin took us there on a NY trip a few years ago. Pretty good. Great milkshakes, and darn good hamburger. My local one-of spot, though, is the family favorite: JJ's Burger Joynt. Outstanding.

I'm loath to admit this, but the best burger I ever had was at a foodie hipster spot in Berkeley, of all places. The place is called "Gather"....the idea is that no matter what you want or what your dietary restrictions are, there's something there for you. Had a cheeseburger with Prather Ranch grass fed beef, local cheese, home made bun......god forgive me but it was soooo good. We brought my wifes best friend there for her birthday a few years back.....still the best I ever had.

JAD
04-16-2016, 06:00 PM
I like Social Burger in Vienna, VA. Oh wait, that's my wife's restaurant. Shameless plug.

I hit that when I'm out there in a couple of weeks.

The restaurant.

Lon
04-16-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm loath to admit this, but the best burger I ever had was at a foodie hipster spot in Berkeley, of all places...

If we are talking best burger I've ever had, I gotta go with the Western Burger from the Thurman Cafe in Columbus, OH. Home of the Thurmanator:

http://thethurmancafe.com/menus/

Thurmanator:

LJD
04-16-2016, 08:07 PM
For those in NoVA or nearby, try Spelunkers in Front Royal. Pair with a custard shake or formation-of-the-day and you will be craving it fortnightly.

SeriousStudent
04-16-2016, 08:08 PM
In the areas of DFW I run I like Kincaids in Southlake
Deli man/Coppell Deli in Coppell. 2 Different names/locations in Coppell but same owner.
Burgers and Brats in Flower Mound.
Island Burger in Carrollton. Nyeti and Wayne Dobbs mention this place during a HiTS class and it's pretty good.

Island Burger is good. A little scary looking, but great burgers.

JAD
04-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Island Burger is good. A little scary looking, but great burgers.

Island Burger or burger island? Can't find the former in google maps.

Coyotesfan97
04-16-2016, 09:05 PM
In N Out vs. Whataburger? In N Out all the way! I like Smashburger too.

My favorite burger place is The Chuckbox on University just off the ASU campus. The burgers are cooked over mesquite coals and they are awesome. It's been there a long time and you better bring cash because they don't take cards.

Coyotesfan97
04-16-2016, 09:07 PM

I've been to the Mesa location in Arizona. It's pretty good.

SeriousStudent
04-16-2016, 09:07 PM

Sorry, it's Burger Island. Jungle Burger is a fave with fried pickles.

HCM
04-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Chain burgers don'y do much for me - whether Whatburger or In & Out. Five guys, like local San Antonio chain Chesters is Ok, as are Burger fi and smash burger. They are what they are.

I'm fond of White Castle but there are none in TX and technically they are sliders....

Since we are doing local joints- San Antonio:

B&B Smokehouse ( BBQ place but they make a great burger)
Bobs Burgers (Local chain)
Bigs
Long Horn Cafe (Local Chain)

The best burger I've had in recent memory is actually The Bubba Burger at Fuglers Grocery & Meat Market up in Marshall TX. It's up near Tyler. For you DFW folks, make the drive. Just do it.

Other seriously good Mom and Pop burgers :

East Coast: All American Drive in, Massapequa NY.
http://allamericanhamburgerli.com/

West Coast / SF Bay area - Val's Burgers in Hayward, CA.

PPGMD
04-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Sorry, it's Burger Island. Jungle Burger is a fave with fried pickles.

Burger Island is pretty good.

But I like Twisted Root better. The dive bar motif doesn't work in some of their newer locations, but the burgers are still good.

Dagga Boy
04-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Burger Island is pretty good.

But I like Twisted Root better. The dive bar motif doesn't work in some of their newer locations, but the burgers are still good.

What is funny is Twisted Root is a nice place trying to look like a dive bar. Burger Island actually is a total dive. Scary, but have never gotten sick.

PPGMD
04-16-2016, 09:36 PM
What is funny is Twisted Root is a nice place trying to look like a dive bar. Burger Island actually is a total dive. Scary, but have never gotten sick.

The original Deep Ellum location is in an old dive bar.

The Carrollton location isn't as bad, but the Plano/Frisco location was just hilarious to me, as it is in one of those new design metal buildings with the high ceilings. So the dive bar motif just plainly conflicted with the open airy space.

The Burger Island location you are talking about, is it the one by the Addison Airport? Because that one isn't that sketchy IMO.

Jackdog
04-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Sorry. My dyslexia kicked in. It's Burger Island on Beltline. Just east of I-35E and Old town Carrollton.

PPGMD
04-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Sorry. My dyslexia kicked in. It's Burger Island on Beltline. Just east of I-35E and Old town Carrollton.

I've passed that area dozens of times, I never knew there was a Burger Island there.

HopetonBrown
04-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Have you tried Pearl's on Post Street? Tim and I eat there more than we should.

Gotta go with In n Out as far as a fast food burger. Only one I'll let my kids eat. Good quality at good prices, and their employees are fantastically polite and helpful, as Nyeti noted. I've had Five Guys....good burger, ok fries. Good portions, but for the value I'll stick with In n Out. Haven't seen anyone mention Shake Shack from NYC. My cousin took us there on a NY trip a few years ago. Pretty good. Great milkshakes, and darn good hamburger. My local one-of spot, though, is the family favorite: JJ's Burger Joynt. Outstanding.

Luke
04-17-2016, 08:05 AM
If y'all have Firebirds ( fancy steak house ) they have the most amazing burgers.

Dagga Boy
04-17-2016, 08:06 AM
I've passed that area dozens of times, I never knew there was a Burger Island there.

It's right around the corner from the Twisted Root. Which is sort of what makes it funny. We also have a Burger Island in Irving...it is also sketchy.

pr1042
04-17-2016, 08:16 AM
I've had Twisted Root on two occasions (Bedford and Deep Ellum). It's decent but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again

The Porch in uptown Dallas has a solid cheeseburger. Angry Dog in Deep Ellum was very good.

The best cheeseburger I've had so far in my quest has been at The Grape on Greenville. They only have it on Sunday and Monday though

I will need to try some of Jackdogs suggestions. I've heard good things about Deli Man

pr1042
04-17-2016, 08:20 AM
I also recently got back from Chile and found my holy grail of burgers at La Burguesia in Santiago, a bacon cheeseburger with small grilled cheese sandwiches for buns.

https://5dc93791f535c5b6680b-504f722ff1ef8102127dae26bdb15aa6.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.c om/pix_2_100044_5990_5265dd8d3adb4.jpg

Clobbersaurus
04-17-2016, 11:47 AM
This thread is awesome.

Reminds me of this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkHRa64sDY

And the remix...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s

chiral
04-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Since we are doing local joints- San Antonio:

B&B Smokehouse ( BBQ place but they make a great burger)
Bobs Burgers (Local chain)
Bigs
Long Horn Cafe

Long horn in San Antonio is seriously the best burger I've ever had. I used to live down the road from the blanco/1604 location. I could eat there every night. If anyone has any suggestions for a long horn level of goodness burger in the dfw area please share!

Kennys burger in Plano is decent. Village burger bar is ok, but wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. Hopdoddys in Addison....meh. What a burger vs in and out.....have to go with whataburger :) The patty melts are superb.

JackRock
04-17-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm a fan of both Five Guys and Red Robin. Not much a fan of other burgers, except those I make myself.

ReverendMeat
04-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Back home, the favorite local chain is Burgerville. Overpriced but they're pretty damn good. All local stuff with seasonal menu changes, I've never been displeased with 'em.

Here, I kind of like Culver's. I'll take a "butter burger" any day over that White Castle garbage. I had to turn down sex once on account of the smells I was making after eating four of those little... things.

In n Out is decent for burgers but their fries are awful.

Tried Steak n shake for the first time a couple days ago, cheap as dirt and not half bad.

Not a chain but the best burgers I've had in my life can be found at Slow Bar in Portland, OR.

rd62
04-17-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm partial to Five Guys and Smashburger for national chains. Rush's is my local drive thru go to. There are many good sit down burger joints popping up too.

1911Nut
04-17-2016, 06:57 PM
In 'N' Out
Freddy's Steakburger
Shake Shack
Fatburger
Whataburger

HCM
04-17-2016, 09:20 PM
In 'N' Out
Freddy's Steakburger
Shake Shack
Fatburger
Whataburger

I forgot all about Freddy's Steakburger - great patty melt.

El Cid
04-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Yes! Very, very tasty burgers!! Drawbacks are the cost and the size of the burgers is on the small side (for normal prices).

23JAZ
04-17-2016, 10:01 PM
This thread is awesome.

Reminds me of this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkHRa64sDY

And the remix...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s
Damn!

johncorey
04-18-2016, 01:21 AM
Billy Bob's in Harker Heights, TX

Hondo's in Fredericksburg, TX

Emma Keys in Greensboro, NC

Triangle Char & Bar in Charleston, SC

Moody's Pub in Chicago, IL

Fatburger in Las Vegas, NV

Marfields in Leavenworth, KS

Chains: Cook Out, In N Out, Braums, Checkers, 5 Guys, Backyard Burgers, Yardhouse. I'm sure there are thousands more out there, those just pop right into my head.

Josh Runkle
04-18-2016, 01:46 AM
Bob's Burgers on Ocean Avenue

backtrail540
04-18-2016, 02:23 AM
Braums.

Being a northerner, i had never heard of Braums until i visited a friend who moved to Oklahoma. It was a bit of a shock the first time i walked in to one, a peculiar place. And they are everywhere down there!

JAD
04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I am also obligated to say that a Taylor's Maid-Rite, which is not exactly a hamburger, is better than any hamburger. Ever.

OnionsAndDragons
04-18-2016, 10:57 AM
In N Out is the best chain, even though I haven't had one in like 4-5 years...

There is a kitschy burger place in Indy called Punchburger that does some good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rauchman
04-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Bobby Flay's Burger Palace in the Bergen Town Center mall in Paramus, NJ - They do really good burgers (can be ordered as beef, chicken or turkey), with the option of crunchifying (adds potato chips on the burger). Their menu has the standard burger, cheeseburger, but what really makes them shine is their other offerings. My fav' is their Dallas burger which has provolone cheese, burger sauce and cole slaw. Another fav' is a topless burger (whatever burger you want served on a bed of greens w/ oil & vinegar dressing). My wife and I will go for a quick meal and have a burger with fried egg and Applewood Farms bacon on the salad. Good stuff. Great shakes too. And yes, I've seen Bobby Flay himself in there once. Service happened to be exceptional that day.

5 Guys - My wife and I like them and LOVE their fries.

In and Out - Always make it a priority to visit and I&O when out west. I find them very similar to 5 Guys.

Rhodes Tavern in Sloatsburgh, NY (just over border from NJ, in lower upstate NY) - This restaurant was a gun store some 25 years prior where my friend had bought his mini Uzi another lifetime ago. The restaurant is very popular with bikers. My wife and I will often stop their on our way home from a long ride. Their sliders are exceptional....dare I say, the best I've had of any type burger. Great food in general.

Glennora Winery - Lake Seneca, NY - My wife and I were on a 5 day motorcycle ride and stopped in at Glennora Winery, along the western coast line of Lake Seneca, NY (Finger Lakes) to stay for the night. They have hotel accommodations (very pricey) and a restaurant that serves their wine made on the premises. Had their gourmet burger, and close to 10 years later still savor the memory of the exquisite delectable delight that was the burger that I ate. Outstanding!!!!! Their wines are "ok". Stick to the whites.

1911Nut
04-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Burger Fi: Their Chicago style Kobe beef hot dogs and onion rings are delicious and put their burgers to shame!

Kennydale
04-18-2016, 08:44 PM

I kind of miss White Castle's BELLY BOMBERS but for me it's now Whataburger !

Exurbankevin
04-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Fuddrucker's used to be quite good, but they've gone flying downhill as of late.

Five Guys is good, but they're not quite In N Out. Maybe not the best burger for purists out there, but nothing beats a Double-Double, animal style.

One of the best burgers I've had in recent years was a Carl's Jr./Hardees Bacon Guacamole Six Dollar Burger with green chiles. Bacon, guac and beef were MADE for each other, and the green chiles (a la WhatABurger) were the icing on the cake.

Gray222
04-20-2016, 01:31 PM
In honor of this thread I ate this guy yesterday:

http://i.imgur.com/q9ZSniV.jpg

Exurbankevin
04-20-2016, 01:32 PM
In N Out vs. Whataburger? In N Out all the way! I like Smashburger too.

My favorite burger place is The Chuckbox on University just off the ASU campus.

Oh my, yes. The Chuckbox is an Arizona State institution, right up there with Sparky and hating the UofA.

Coyotesfan97
04-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Did someone say Mildcats?

pangloss
04-21-2016, 10:28 PM
If anyone is around Nashville and wants a good burger, go to Burger Republic. They opened not too long before I moved from there, but I really enjoyed the place the few times I went there. Nabeels in the Birmingham area is near the top of my list. Maybe the top. I'll have to think about it.

ReverendMeat
04-23-2016, 12:20 AM
Emma Keys in Greensboro, NC

I was in Greensboro for the past couple weeks and checked this place out based on your recommendation. Definitely worthwhile, that was good stuff.

I'd also like to add burgers from Bamboo Sushi in Portland, OR and Pilot Butte Drive-In in Bend, OR.

TheNewbie
04-23-2016, 06:06 AM
My Sgt. makes the best burgers in the world. I ate 4 of his half pound cheeseburgers last week......

Chain wise I have to say Whataburger. Making cops fat before I was even alive.

Gray222
04-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Crab meat, on top of a burger with crab fries.

http://i.imgur.com/QsUkDjr.jpg

Ronin_Jedi
04-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Fuddruckers or What-a-burger would be my votes. Fuddruckers sells bison and elk burgers, sometimes other exotics as well.

What-a-burger to me, reminds other the way BK whoppers use to be.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
04-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Crab meat, on top of a burger with crab fries.

http://i.imgur.com/QsUkDjr.jpg

I got sent that picture yesterday......I would actually fly there just to try that thing. Pure awesomeness.

Fuddruckers or What-a-burger would be my votes. Fuddruckers sells bison and elk burgers, sometimes other exotics as well.

What-a-burger to me, reminds other the way BK whoppers use to be.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Fuddruckers is a favorite of sit down specialty places. Had not had one since I moved from San Diego years ago, but they have several here in the Dallas area......including next to Bass Pro, which is a huge bonus.

NickDrak
04-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Fast food/chain: 5 guys or Steak n Shake. 5 Guys gets the nod because their fries are eleventybillion times better than SnS.

Non chain (local) burger joint near Chicago: Kuma's Corner and DMK Burger

johncorey
04-24-2016, 05:03 PM
I was in Greensboro for the past couple weeks and checked this place out based on your recommendation. Definitely worthwhile, that was good stuff.

I'd also like to add burgers from Bamboo Sushi in Portland, OR and Pilot Butte Drive-In in Bend, OR.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it and that the quality is still going strong!

nycnoob
05-06-2016, 08:26 AM
ver the past 67 years, In-N-Out Burger has given its customers on the West Coast (and in Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and Texas) a lot to be grateful for with its iconic standard and so-called secret menus, but there is one item that you won't find on any menu at any location, because chef Josh Elkin just invented it.

According to Eater.com, Elkin teamed up with Foodbeast to blur food genre lines, turning In-N-Out burgers and fries into crispy, golden-brown egg rolls. The process has been documented in a video (above) so all curious fast food fans can give the fusion food experiment a try at home. It's actually pretty simple to follow: first, Elkin chops the burgers into pieces (pickles and all), then washes spring roll wrappers with egg before filling them with the chopped ingredients and fries (because of course). The meal-in-progress is then rolled up and dropped into oil to deep fry before being served up with In-N-Out's special sauce on the side.

These In-N-Out Burger egg rolls are tame compared to some of the other things that people have deep fried. They're also not the weirdest thing that has been done to a burger (burger sushi, anyone?), though with ingredients like these, we don't see how this could have been any but a culinary success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dpsjNvETI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dpsjNvETI&feature=youtu.be

Savage Hands
07-17-2016, 04:06 PM
We have a ton of good burger options in Elk Grove, CA from IN-N-OUT, Smashburger, Red Robin, The Habit, Five Guy's, BJ's and probably others I'm forgetting. My Wife prefers IN-N-OUT and I prefer Smashburger for a quick meal but Red Robin is where we prefer to go of we're with the family.

Savage Hands
07-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Oh and The Squeeze Inn, which has to be tried by everyone at least once...
http://ourtastytravels.com/wp-content/uploads/Squeeze-Inn-3.jpg
http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/00/02/40/42/24042-107125.jpg

Ed L
07-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Has anyone mentioned Goffs Hamburgers in Dallas?
http://www.goffshamburgers.com/

SeriousStudent
07-17-2016, 10:23 PM

Wasn't it Goff's over by Bachman Lake with a statue of Lenin out front? The owner bought it in Russia and had it shipped back to Dallas, to celebrate the fall of Communism.

Or am I thinking of some other joint? I thought it was at Lover's and Lemmon?

RevolverRob
07-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Chain: Whataburger, Smash Burger, Steak & Shake - I especially like S&S when doing road trips. Consistent service, consistent food, no issues. Five Guys gives me the runs, every -single- time.

Non-chain:

DFW: Keller's, Burger House, Jake's

Austin: Hut's, The Tavern, Dirty Martin's - Some people will tell you the place to go is "Hopdoddy" - Save your time and money, it sucks. It's nothing but a hipster burger joint that doesn't revel in any of old Austin. (He said, without a twinge of irony that he thought Austin was cool, before every hipster douchebag thought Austin was cool).

Chicago: Hackney's in Printer's Row (is so far, my top choice for a burger in Chicago, so far nothing else has been close to as good).

Palmguy
07-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Burger Fi: Their Chicago style Kobe beef hot dogs and onion rings are delicious and put their burgers to shame!

I'll have to try one of the Kobe dogs next time. The onion rings really are fantastic.

SamAdams
07-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I usually go with a one location family owned joint when available. If traveling on the freeway, and not wanting to take the time to head into the town proper, I'll grab whatever is available at the off ramp. Usually its one of the big chains. Just a way for a quick re-fuel so I can continue down the road. The Mom & Pop places usually have them beat.

JAD
07-18-2016, 08:32 AM

Six minute walk from Jackson Armory. You have my attention.

JAD
07-18-2016, 08:35 AM
DFW: Keller's).

There seem to be three locations. Is one primary?

rob_s
07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
I wish to god I lived where Whataburger was available. While they are a Southern institution they have seen fit to ignore the SE Florida market. While it makes me sad, I totally understand, as I'd avoid it down here too if I could. Nearest one is 4 hours away.

and the Taquito w Cheese (http://whataburger.com/food/item/taquito-1) is the ultimate post-bar food from my youth.

Sam
07-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Oh and The Squeeze Inn, which has to be tried by everyone at least once...
http://ourtastytravels.com/wp-content/uploads/Squeeze-Inn-3.jpg
http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/00/02/40/42/24042-107125.jpg

Eating that cheese skirt is bliss.

SeriousStudent
07-18-2016, 08:28 PM
There seem to be three locations. Is one primary?

The one at Northwest Highway and Abrams is my fave. But I used to live within walking distance, so I was biased.

TR675
07-18-2016, 10:05 PM
My life is extremely stressful right now. McDonalds' quarter pounders are helping me get through it. I probably hadn't had one in 15 years. They take me back to a happy place.

Until I've finished them, then I regret it. But no more than I regret a fancy burger.

SD
07-19-2016, 07:21 AM
9227The Pharmacy, in Nashville TN. This place has it all including home made soda-pop.

Palmguy
07-19-2016, 02:28 PM
I wish to god I lived where Whataburger was available. While they are a Southern institution they have seen fit to ignore the SE Florida market. While it makes me sad, I totally understand, as I'd avoid it down here too if I could. Nearest one is 4 hours away.

and the Taquito w Cheese (http://whataburger.com/food/item/taquito-1) is the ultimate post-bar food from my youth.

There used to be a Whataburger here in Orlando but it's been gone for a few years now. I'm probably about to move back to NW Florida where fortunately there are Whataburgers.

JohnO
07-19-2016, 05:15 PM
The burger joint that supposedly started everything! Located about 20 miles from me yet I have never been there. I thought folks might enjoy taking a gander at the following website. All hail the purported origin of the burger.

http://www.louislunch.com/index.php

http://www.louislunch.com/files/67f6541ff7d3c3c764796dd976f7fe93_full_size.jpg

JTQ
07-19-2016, 06:20 PM
I've seen that place a few times on various TV programs. If I remember correctly, they steam their burger meat. The burgers look pretty tasty though.

JAD
10-21-2020, 01:53 PM
For those of you who question the efficacy of prayer:
https://www.kmbc.com/article/whataburger-locations-confirmed-in-blue-springs-missouri-overland-park-kansas/34437034

blues
10-21-2020, 01:55 PM
"If you build it, he will come."

shootist26
10-21-2020, 01:55 PM
I've seen that place a few times on various TV programs. If I remember correctly, they steam their burger meat. The burgers look pretty tasty though.You are thinking of Ted's steamed burgers. Its also in CT

Louis has the old school flame broilers

Yung
10-21-2020, 01:57 PM
Man, if Whataburger would do a fried egg on the patty like Smashburger does, I'd be all set.

O4L
10-21-2020, 02:33 PM
For those of you who question the efficacy of prayer:
https://www.kmbc.com/article/whataburger-locations-confirmed-in-blue-springs-missouri-overland-park-kansas/34437034Man, if you're praying for a Whataburger, you've got an easy life. [emoji4]

JAD
10-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Man, if you're praying for a Whataburger, you've got an easy life. [emoji4]

a) My life is awesome, and burgers just awesomer it.
b) I pray a lot, I can be a little expansive with my to-do list.

snow white
10-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Chain- five guys
Non chain- Lexie's joint in Portsmouth, NH. bar none best burgers.

BillSWPA
10-21-2020, 03:34 PM
Another vote for Five Guys.

HeavyDuty
10-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Chain- five guys
Non chain- Lexie's joint in Portsmouth, NH. bar none best burgers.
I wish I had known about Lexie’s Saturday when I was passing through.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-21-2020, 04:00 PM
My favorite chain is Culver's. Not widely spread but pretty good. Locally, if you are in WNY - Paulters is an excellent drive-in. Be closing for the winter pretty soon. A nice thick, meaty burger, just a slice of cheese works and some good steak fries and a chocolate shake. Not cheap but worth it for serious burger meals.

snow white
10-21-2020, 04:08 PM
I wish I had known about Lexie’s Saturday when I was passing through.

Damn....next time you will have to treat yourself.

Coyotesfan97
10-21-2020, 04:14 PM
I might’ve already mentioned it but if you’re around the Tempe ASU campus The Chuckbox is the place to go. They cook over mesquite coals. Bring cash no cards are taken.

TheNewbie
10-21-2020, 04:17 PM
Any Mexican joint that also makes burgers. I've had one that was just ok, but never a bad one. Some of the best burgers I have ate are from those places.

trailrunner
10-21-2020, 04:25 PM
At my previous job, I was about a mile from one of their original locations, and we used to go there for lunch there regularly. Good stuff. Their headquarters is about five miles from my house.

I posted this way upthread about 5 Guys. Since then, I've grown a bit tired of them and now prefer Fuddruckers. There are two in my local area, but are getting hard to find. I was in NJ this time a year ago and stumbled across a Fuddruckers while driving to my hotel. I ate there both nights that I was there.

JTQ
10-21-2020, 04:28 PM
My favorite chain is Culver's.
I haven't had their burgers, yet, but I've had quite a few frozen custard concrete mixers and shakes, and they have been very good.

They opened a store in Foley, Alabama a couple of years ago, which was my first exposure to them, and then opened one in Pensacola about a year ago. I'm glad they're local because I like the frozen custard, but I'm also glad they aren't along my normal travel route, because I like the frozen custard.

JTQ
10-21-2020, 04:32 PM
I posted this way upthread about 5 Guys.
I've only done 5 Guys a few times, and while the burgers were pretty good, each time I've wanted to go in the back and show them how to turn the temperature up on their french fry oil. I suppose some may like them, but I'm not a fan of soggy fries. They need to crank up the temp on the oil and get some crisp on those fries.

SD
10-21-2020, 04:40 PM
@ 5-GUYS skip the fries and enjoy the peanuts.
I've only done 5 Guys a few times, and while the burgers were pretty good, each time I've wanted to go in the back and show them how to turn the temperature up on their french fry oil. I suppose some may like them, but I'm not a fan of soggy fries. They need to crank up the temp on the oil and get some crisp on those fries.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-21-2020, 04:53 PM
I haven't had their burgers, yet, but I've had quite a few frozen custard concrete mixers and shakes, and they have been very good.

They opened a store in Foley, Alabama a couple of years ago, which was my first exposure to them, and then opened one in Pensacola about a year ago. I'm glad they're local because I like the frozen custard, but I'm also glad they aren't along my normal travel route, because I like the frozen custard.

They have pretty good pork tenderloin sandwich, which isn't too common in most of the country.Their fish sandwich makes McD's look like the crap it is and they make a decent fish dinner. The custard - well, I'm too damn fat now, esp. with the Covid fatso syndrome.

rd62
10-21-2020, 05:15 PM

Its because they cut them fresh instead of using frozen fries. I love em.

HeavyDuty
10-21-2020, 05:20 PM
If you’re up to a drive southwest of Chicago, Bristol Tap has great no-frills burgers. A thick lump of good beef cooked slow on the flattop. Most of their daytime customers for years were from the Cat plant, no frou-frou burgers here.

HeavyDuty
10-21-2020, 05:23 PM
Damn....next time you will have to treat yourself.

There’s a closed for the season message on the website, but it’s not clear if it’s for the listed locations or a place called “Lexie’s Landing.” Any idea? I’ll be back home in a few weeks.

4given
10-21-2020, 05:25 PM
Burnt Lemon Grill - Caldwell, Idaho

snow white
10-21-2020, 05:27 PM
There’s a closed for the season message on the website, but it’s not clear if it’s for the listed locations or a place called “Lexie’s Landing.” Any idea? I’ll be back home in a few weeks.

I was just there a week or two ago, Its called lexie's joint. Its only outside seating and take out at the moment but to my knowledge they are open. I dont think they close for the season unless they are just doing things different this year.

DDTSGM
10-21-2020, 05:30 PM
I prefer to find old greasy burger joints. This be one of the finest:

https://rbdrivein.com/about-us

Their pork tenderloins are out of this world, but my favorite is their SW bacon burger and their home cut fries. They open at 10:45 and close at 4:00 most days except Thursday, when they are open to 8:30 and Friday when they are open to 5:30.

I was pretty excited when a Five-Guys opened in Wichita, folks on LF had been talking them up for months. So I ran over there for my first and last visit. They blew. A year or so later someone opened on here, in Hutchinson. It lasted a year.

Almost as good as the R&B: http://kansastravel.org/wichita/bomberburger.htm

I was in there with a buddy once and the owner started ripping him a new one for using too much ketchup for his fries - 'you know I have to buy that g-d ketchup, I don't need you putting it all over your wrapper and throwing it away.' It was hilarious. My wife won't eat there.

O4L
10-21-2020, 06:38 PM
It's interesting that there are so many 5 guys fans here. In a recent thread on a local gun forum I frequent, it's about 10 to 1 against them.

I've tried them once. I'm not a fan at all.

There’s not any chain burger joints around where I live worth eating at but we have a local place called Hamburger King that's been around for 93 years that is very good.

randyho
10-21-2020, 06:57 PM
5 guys: fantastic fries. Burger non-descript
In and out: immense disappointment. 1975 wants their burger king back
Elevation Burger: Solid, artery-clogging goodness
2 pounds of 80/20, 1/2 cups of werster, panco, Beef broth, Dukes, and two packets of lipton onion soup mix for the grease fire and win.

Yung
10-21-2020, 09:19 PM
I might’ve already mentioned it but if you’re around the Tempe ASU campus The Chuckbox is the place to go. They cook over mesquite coals. Bring cash no cards are taken.

Have they cleaned up the interior yet? I haven't been there in a few years.
I remember there used to be a taco stand right next to it that had two-dollar longnecks of Dos Equis.

I've also heard others recommend Burger Rush which isn't much further, on Broadway across from the Motel 6. Not as good as The Chuckbox but it is local and has been around for a while.

NWshooter
10-21-2020, 10:50 PM
National Chain: 5 guys. Simple and good

Local(ish): Miner’s in Yakima, Washington. You will never leave hungry. Ever.

Coyotesfan97
10-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Have they cleaned up the interior yet? I haven't been there in a few years.
I remember there used to be a taco stand right next to it that had two-dollar longnecks of Dos Equis.

I've also heard others recommend Burger Rush which isn't much further, on Broadway across from the Motel 6. Not as good as The Chuckbox but it is local and has been around for a while.

The interior looked like I remembered it. It’s a joint but everything looked clean. I’m pretty sure the taco stand is still there. I can’t verify the $2 Dos Equis.

I’ve never been to Burger Rush. Maybe a trip to Tempe is in the near future.

wrmettler
10-22-2020, 07:08 PM
I helped build the Chuckbox's wood sign about 50 years ago. Never had a burger there.

Best green chili burger in the area - Fate's. Good beer too.

Speaking of good beer, Tombstone Brewing just opened a place in Phoenix.
It bought the old Helio Basin on the s/w corner of Thomas and 40th street.
Some of the best beer around. Lots of barrel aged beers for those who like that sort of stuff.

No ownership interest in Tombstone.