PDA

View Full Version : Executives Companion vs PCH

Long tom coffin
10-23-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm in the market for some new leather.

So I was looking at the Alessi PCH on brownells and a Horsehide Sparks EW or the SS2 also from brownells. It's for a glock 19 and will probably be worn with my filson double belt.

Anyone have any particular experience with these holsters? Price points are about the same, but that's not such an issue. I'm thinking the EW will be lower riding, more durable (horsehide), and generally be thinner than the PCH. Any opinions?

JAD
10-23-2011, 07:03 AM
I carry most frequently in an EX-RSO. I don't have both holsters so I can't compare. The EX rides 'right' with a commander. I have thought of looking for an analogue from one of the smaller makers with a more vertical presentation, though.

John Ralston
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think I would worry about the horsehide vs cowhide debate - I have not found that to be a compelling reason to decide on one holster over another. In fact, the softest holster I ever made was from horsehide and I had to throw it away (really just for anecdotal content).

You will find that for every person that says PCH, there will be another voting for the Ex Comp - IWB holsters are a very personal thing and you will NEVER get a good answer.

Either one can be sold with minimal loss, so if you can get them from Brownells without a wait, you can likely try both and sell the one you don't care for.

Long tom coffin
10-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't think I would worry about the horsehide vs cowhide debate - I have not found that to be a compelling reason to decide on one holster over another. In fact, the softest holster I ever made was from horsehide and I had to throw it away (really just for anecdotal content).

You will find that for every person that says PCH, there will be another voting for the Ex Comp - IWB holsters are a very personal thing and you will NEVER get a good answer.

Either one can be sold with minimal loss, so if you can get them from Brownells without a wait, you can likely try both and sell the one you don't care for.

John-

That's an excellent idea, I think I'll do that, thanks!

SmokeJumper
10-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Most likely you will not go wrong with either holster from either maker and as stated earlier, you can easily sell one or the other on the forums with ease. I've been wearing a MS Summer Special 2 for a while before trying AIWB carry and had great success with both the SS2 and the VMII. The Executives Companion has a slightly wider platform, so to speak, but I've always heard that it molds right to you and carries the gun well. The SS2 had been my go to carry holster for IWB, it has a slim profile, carries comfortably and will easily/comfortably conceal a full size 1911 to my fat HK 45's. Alessi makes good leather too, just don't have any IWB rigs from them to give an opinion on. As for the horsehide, I had always been told it worked better in the duration aspect when it came to sweating on your leather for long periods of time and had gone mostly with horsehide from MS. However, John at 5Shot cured me of this in part due to explaining about the sealer/finishing that most currently use on all leather holsters. I've got and do carry several of John's cow hide holsters and they carry well and I've had no issues with horse vs cow hides in regards to leather performance.
As a side note, and not to take away from your current choices for a new holster(s), check out the IBS from 5Shot Leather as an alternate, very similar to the SS2. Enjoy the new leather

gringop
10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I have around 4 Sparks EC cowhides and one Sparks EC horsehide. The horsehide is stiffer in my examples.

I've never used a PCH but judging from internet pictures the "wings" on the Sparks are larger. I think that the "wings" contribute a great deal to keeping the holster steady with the loops being so narrow.

I like my Sparks ECs (ya think?) but I wish they still made them with the vapor barrier. One of the reasons that I went with horsehide on the last one was because they stopped putting the barrier in ECs. It didn't help, horsehide doesn't slow down sweat migration in Central Texas. Yea, Glock Tenifer!

Gringop

ADKilla
10-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I've worn both and prefer the PCH. The wings on the EXC are larger than the PCH, which contributed to squeaking when I tightened my belt. Despite wax and baby powder the squeaking never ceased. That brought me to the PCH with a slightly smaller wing that still provides excellent stability. The PCH sits a bit lower than the EXC but not so low as to force you to dig for the pistol.

Just as an aside, the PCH I owned was made by Uncle Lou himself. I did purchase a PCH made by the current proprietors of Alessi and I personally feel as though the quality is not quite as good. My most recent purchase was actually a Ritchie Leather Stakeout, a very exact replica of the PCH. Ritchie Leather is owned by Bob and Skip Ritchie, former partners with Lou. The quality is every bit as good as the one Lou made.

LtDave
10-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Concur on thei Ritchie Stakeout. I also have an original PCH from Alessi. Quality appears to be the same. Delivery time was only a couple of weeks.

KevH
10-25-2011, 02:21 AM
I've owned and used both and both are great holsters.

I completely agree with John that holsters are totally a personal preference thing so much so that you may prefer the EX for one gun and a PCH for another.

My personal preference is for the PCH (or actually Ritchie's version of it now), but that doesn't mean you'll like it more than the EX.

xray 99
10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
I use both but the nod goes to the EC...by just a bit. I find the large flange adds a bit more comfort. Both are great IWBs.