PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS M2 sights?

mrozowjj
04-15-2016, 04:36 PM
I am a weak man with a fondness for German guns so shortly after fondling one of the new PPS M2s I had to buy it. I wanted a single stack to match my PPQs.

It's my understanding that the PPS M2 uses the same sights as the PPS M1 and PPX, and PPQ (Sort of? Maybe?) I was wondering what sights people are putting on their PPS. I know Trijicon makes HDs but I don't like the 3-dot or 2-dot setup, I prefer a black rear with a fiber optic front. I have Dawsons on my PPQ and I like those but I see 10-8 precision makes sights for the Walthers and I love the the 10-8 I have on my Glock but I'm wondering if there's anything similar.

t1tan
04-16-2016, 01:16 AM
On my PPS I run a 10-8 Tritium front with a blacked out factory rear sight and I've been happy with that pair.

mrozowjj
04-16-2016, 01:53 AM
On my PPS I run a 10-8 Tritium front with a blacked out factory rear sight and I've been happy with that pair.

Good to know. Did you have any trouble fitting them to the gun?

SteveB
04-16-2016, 07:45 AM
I like the factory sights, low profile, rounded edges, good sight picture. Black Sharpied the rear dots and sent the slide to ToolTech. They drilled the front sight and installed a tritium lamp with orange ring. The color of the ring is kind of washed out; not as bright as I would like, but it works.

RJ
04-16-2016, 08:18 AM
I believe a member here had Dawson Precision make him a FO front sight, hopefully he will post details.

I just have the factory white dots with the rears blacked out on mine.

t1tan
04-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Good to know. Did you have any trouble fitting them to the gun?

Nope, dropped right in.

mrozowjj
04-16-2016, 12:02 PM
I believe a member here had Dawson Precision make him a FO front sight, hopefully he will post details.

I just have the factory white dots with the rears blacked out on mine.

Not sure how long ago that was but Dawson has sights for the PPQ, PPX and PPS on their website now. The only options for the PPS are a black and fiber no tritium or anything which I'm ok with.

Nope, dropped right in.

Good to know. You installed them yourself with a punch I'm assuming? Do you remember which size rear notch you got for it?

t1tan
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Good to know. You installed them yourself with a punch I'm assuming? Do you remember which size rear notch you got for it?

Only replaced the front, left the factory rear and filled the dots in with black paint pen.

mrozowjj
04-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Only replaced the front, left the factory rear and filled the dots in with black paint pen.

Oh... well that's not quite the same thing then.

guymontag
12-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Thread resurrect:

Anyone have experience (and hopefully pictures) of the Dawson set on the PPS? I was hoping to get the taller fiber front and the black rear but I'm unsure on the comfort of the rear sight and the sight picture itself - narrow .125 notch and .100 front. Any response is appreciated!

Brent Sea
12-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I am using the Dawson Charger set on mine and really like the sight picture. This photo is from face distance with arm fully extended and represents the real sight picture.

The corners of the rear sight are nicely beveled and rounded. They don't dig into my ribs or cut my shirts like my Ameriglo Defoors on my Glock 19.

Here is a 10 shot, 25 yd. group off the bench with my handloads. The group is centered about four inches high at that distance. I need to adjust the windage.
Another 5 shot, 25 yd. group (offhand) with Fed. 147 HST was also about four inches high.

guymontag
12-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Brent you are awesome, thanks!

I'll get a set on order, just need to decide on the black rear or the fiber rear. Yours is the .100 front and .125 rear notch?

Brent Sea
12-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Yes. These: https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-walther-pps-ppx-ppq-45-fixed-charger-sight-set-fiber-optic-rear-fiber-optic-front/

It looks like the black rear/ fiber optic front are $10 cheaper.

mrozowjj
12-05-2016, 02:12 AM
I went black rear. I just took some pics for you. They aren't professional shots but they turned out way better than I thought they would for being a camera phone. That said it's hard to hold the gun and phone steady but I think you'll get the idea.

My front sight is .195" Tall x .100" Wide Ramped Serrated SKU 019-166
My rear is 210" Tall x .125" Notch Width Serrated SKU 018-459

As far as how good they do, this is free hand, standing, unsupported, factory Remington JHP at 7 yards.

Prdator
12-05-2016, 07:57 AM
We put Tridgicon HD's on the wife's PPS M2's and she loves them.. Im more fond of them than I thought I would be to.

mrozowjj
12-05-2016, 11:44 PM
I just wanted to add that I installed the Dawson's myself. The nice thing about the Walther and Glock style sights is you just screw the front one on and the rear just hammers in. They give you a soft metal punch... I'd assume aluinium or stainless steel and you just pop them in. The first set of sights I did on my own and they were easy enough that when it comes time to get sights for any other gun I"m going Dawsons and just going to do it myself. Already put the same setup (fiber front and black rear) on a CZ SP01

JodyH
05-14-2018, 06:41 AM
My wife likes the XS F8 sights on her PPS M2.
They're a little blocky to my eyes but she prefers them over the HD's because the rear sight doesn't have the sharp and pointy rear edges.

mrozowjj
05-15-2018, 04:15 PM
I will say this after looking at that video whatever you do DO NOT USE RED LOCTITE. That shit is going to weld the screw and rear sight on. You will need to apply heat to remove the screw and sight and good luck with that in the future if you change your mind.

Loctite works in an anaerobic environments so it actually becomes solid when there is no air so if you are very very lucky you might end up with the seal on the sight itself not being air tight and then it might not set up completely but still neve use red Loctite anywhere you wouldn't weld.