PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Kahr CW9 Pistol

BCGlocker
04-15-2016, 04:06 PM
I am considering the Kahr CW9 as my super light weight summer gym shorts carry. I read at various forums stated the model is hit and miss on reliability. Can anyone provide additional inputs?

Lon
04-15-2016, 04:17 PM
I've had 2. Both ran 100% after the first 200 rounds. I think kahr even tells you that you need to break them in. I chopped both mine down to take the PM size mags for easier pocket carry. The guys I sold them to still have them and carry them as backup/off duty guns. Both mine had really sharp edges. Nothing a little dremel or file work couldn't fix. Had to take a dremel/sand paper/file to my K9 as well. Kahr need to carry bevel their guns. I prefer the CW9 size guns to the smaller PM9 size guns.

LSP972
04-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Kahr need to carry bevel their guns.

The P9 has "softer" edges; also a polygonally-rifled barrel, dovetailed front sight, and comes with three magazines instead of one.

I'm thinking about one of these myself; its just as hot and miserable here in south Louisiana as it is in south Texas… and this summer is supposed to be particularly wretched.

I had a PM9- it ran fine, until I blew the extractor out with a bad round (not the gun's fault; the cartridge failed at the extractor rim). I couldn't even FIND the extractor. I sent it back to Kahr, with a humble confession. They sent it back fixed and good as new; no charge.

These little polymer Kahrs are, from what I can gather, a bit ammo-sensitive. IOW, you need to try different "duty" rounds to see what it likes best. My PM9 was not, but I've heard it too many times from competent people to discount it. I was considering the plain-vanilla CW9 pistol because of the button-rifled bore; can shoot lead bullet reloads in that with no concern. If the slide has some sharp edges, those can be dealt with easily; its stainless steel, who gives a shit what it looks like?

I say go for it, BCG; it will "fill your hand" better than a G43… at least, it does for me.

BTW; I also had a P45. Nice piece, shot well, but was a BITCH to hang onto with full-power "duty" .45ACP. The trigger-cocking-only action on these guns takes a bit of getting used to if you are a striker guy… as an old revolver shooter and current LEM disciple, the Kahr trigger bothers me not at all. YMMV.

SecondsCount
04-15-2016, 04:41 PM
A good friend has one as well as my brother in law. Both ran when I shot them and never saw any failures or heard complaints.

One of them had the Hogue Handall slip on grip and it made it much more comfortable. One thing about Kahrs to remember is the maintenance of the recoil spring.

Tamara
04-15-2016, 04:44 PM
The P9 has "softer" edges; also a polygonally-rifled barrel, dovetailed front sight, and comes with three magazines instead of one.

Also, the CW series guns have MIM takedown levers instead of machined ones, IIRC.

LSP972
04-15-2016, 04:57 PM
You are correct. I forgot to mention that.

BCGlocker
04-15-2016, 05:04 PM
I prefer the CW9 size guns to the smaller PM9 size guns.

I am so glad you said that. I compared CM9 and CW9. To me, the CM9 is too small where I don't like the 3-finger grip (I know I can get mag extensions) and due to its smallness, I can't draw from IWB as fast as a bigger gun (CW9) where I can get a good grip. CW9 is 2 ozs more but I am happy to deal with two more ozs and gain better grip and capacity.

BCGlocker
04-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Also, the CW series guns have MIM takedown levers instead of machined ones, IIRC.

I have no knowledge in the manufacture process. What is the practical difference between the two?

warpedcamshaft
04-15-2016, 05:37 PM
I had a CW9 a while back.

I fired around 1500-2000 rounds through it of all types of ammunition with no stoppages. It was surprisingly accurate at 25 yards. I didn't mind the long trigger.
In my mind, at the time, the Shield made the CW9 obsolete. I shot the Shield when they first came out, and sold the CW9 a month later. It was faster to shoot, and sat lower in my hand. (I never actually bought a shield)

A CM9 I've interacted with suffered 2 serious issues (I bring this up from a KAHR quality viewpoint):

1: Frame would not allow trigger to be pulled at temperatures below about 10 degrees if I remember right. (Kahr slightly relieved an area of the frame and fixed it completely. They paid shipping and charged me nothing for the fix)

2: Complete catastrophic rapid disassembly of the recoil spring assembly. (CW9 has a much different set up recoil spring wise)

Compared to the PF9 or LC9... the CW9 is superior in my experience. (In my own hands, and in student's hands)

The Shield, PPS, and Glock 43 complicate things a bit...

If you get a CW9... get a tight mag carrier, as the top round tends to walk if not in a tight carrier.

Tamara
04-15-2016, 05:56 PM
I have no knowledge in the manufacture process. What is the practical difference between the two?

Truthfully? Bupkis.

Tamara
04-15-2016, 06:00 PM
I will say that in my experience, over the years, Kahr's quality control seems to run hot & cold at both greater frequency and amplitude than, say, Glock or S&W or whoever. There was a stretch in the mid Aughties, for instance, where they had lots of barrels that would start peening up on the locking shoulder practically out of the box.

Still, a good, proven Kahr is a very solid pistol, and the CW series offers most all the benefits without the sting to the wallet.

theJanitor
04-15-2016, 06:06 PM
I have a CW40, that I chopped to take the smaller mags. runs really well for the few hundred rounds I have through it. The only bullet it wouldn't feed is the "power ball " one with the elastomer(?) sphere in the HP bullet cavity.

41magfan
04-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Interestingly, your mention of this difference brought to mind the only case of slide stop failure that I'm personally aware of involved a K9 model pistol.

Most of the "Value" series guns that I'm personally familiar with (half a dozen pistols) seem to be just as reliable - if not more so - than the "Premium" models.

OhioFinance
04-15-2016, 06:43 PM
The value proposition of the CW9 is/was the cost vs the market. I've owned one, it was just ok. Shot fine, trigger was smooth, rest of the gun was rough. Mags, as stated liked to eject the top round when you least expect it. All that said, in a world where you can buy a PPS for $350 buying a CW9 is just silly.

SecondsCount
04-15-2016, 07:48 PM
The value proposition of the CW9 is/was the cost vs the market. I've owned one, it was just ok. Shot fine, trigger was smooth, rest of the gun was rough. Mags, as stated liked to eject the top round when you least expect it. All that said, in a world where you can buy a PPS for $350 buying a CW9 is just silly.

It doesn't always come down to cost. I really like the DA style trigger on my Kahr, especially for appendix carry.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-15-2016, 08:21 PM
A friend has one and it runs for him but he doesn't shoot it a great deal. He likes the trigger. As far as Kahrs - I had a PM9 that never ran and it became a Glock 26.

Lon
04-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Interestingly, your mention of this difference brought to mind the only case of slide stop failure that I'm personally aware of involved a K9 model pistol.

My K9 slide stop broke in two pieces. CS was quick to send me a new one.

LSP972
04-15-2016, 10:15 PM
All that said, in a world where you can buy a PPS for $350 buying a CW9 is just silly.

What? Maybe for you. For those of us who are monumentally not impressed with anything recently from Walther (as in, the past 10 years), well…

LSP972
04-15-2016, 10:18 PM
It doesn't always come down to cost.

It does for some folks. Doesn't matter if its a toy or a life-saving piece of gear… gotta have "the best price". Which, of course, is why we find ourselves stuck with cheap-jack everyday stuff, home appliances designed to puke after a little over a year, and certain execrable abortions disguised as firearms.

SecondsCount
04-16-2016, 12:08 AM
It does for some folks. Doesn't matter if its a toy or a life-saving piece of gear… gotta have "the best price". Which, of course, is why we find ourselves stuck with cheap-jack everyday stuff, home appliances designed to puke after a little over a year, and certain execrable abortions disguised as firearms.

Not to pick on OhioFinance but I guess if that is your username, then money is probably an issue :cool:

Drew78
04-16-2016, 11:02 AM
I have a PM9 and probably have admit 1500 rounds through it without much issue. I learned early on with it that it wouldn't reliably feed my carry ammo, HST 147g. The sharp leading edge of the bullet nose would sometimes hang up on the feed ramp. Even after a mirror polish job. 147gr rangers work well.

Alas, it's now sitting in my safe since I got my glock 43. The da trigger of the kahr, while nice, always concerned me add I shoot Glocks exclusively.

41magfan
04-16-2016, 11:34 AM
My K9 slide stop broke in two pieces. CS was quick to send me a new one.

Yea, Kahr CS took care of my friend quickly as well. He doesn't think much of the 2-piece design and has more faith in the solid MIM part used on the Value series pistols.

Redhat
04-16-2016, 11:35 AM
I had one a couple of years ago I bought used. Never had any reliability problems but found the magazine feed lips to be quite sharp if that matters. The problem I did have, was the size of the grip and trigger design didn't lend itself to my largish hands and long fingers. The striker release point is so far back in the trigger press that my trigger finger would actually run into my strong hand thumb on the grip. I found the S&W Shield to be a much better fit for me.

1slow
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Tried one of the plastic frame .40 Kahr some years ago. Magazine would not seat even with excessive force used. There was some other issue as well but I do not remember what.

Kahr went on my list of guns like Kimber, Taurus, where the customer is the Quality control inspector.

Replaced it with a HK P2000SK that has been great.

OhioFinance
04-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Not to pick on OhioFinance but I guess if that is your username, then money is probably an issue :cool:

Yeah probably not :) but if it its just a thread to justify buying the gun. Buy it. If you want a small semi-auto with a decent DA like trigger with very questionable, hit or miss reliability and / or feeding problems and / or mag problems, then buy it. If you just want a good DA trigger without the hassle, buy a 642. If you want a similar size and priced semi, then most would look elsewhere.

Chuck Whitlock
04-17-2016, 11:08 AM
In my mind, at the time, the Shield made the CW9 obsolete. I shot the Shield when they first came out, and sold the CW9 a month later. It was faster to shoot, and sat lower in my hand.

The problem I did have, was the size of the grip and trigger design didn't lend itself to my largish hands and long fingers. The striker release point is so far back in the trigger press that my trigger finger would actually run into my strong hand thumb on the grip. I found the S&W Shield to be a much better fit for me.

I was actually primed to buy a Shield, but it just doesn't fit my hand right. Having small hands, the Kahr works better for me.

I really like the DA style trigger on my Kahr, especially for appendix carry.

Alas, it's now sitting in my safe since I got my glock 43. The da trigger of the kahr, while nice, always concerned me add I shoot Glocks exclusively.

I like the long DAO style trigger stroke, and find my CW9 a good complement to my P250. Mine is also very accurate at 25 yds with my preferred 124gr+p GDHPs. I carry it as a BUG on and off duty. The top round in the spare magazine does want to walk, which I never experienced in the .40 version.....periodic checks help.

The grip wants to get a little squirmy after several dozen rounds, which made me contemplate going to an all-steel version with the rubber grips again. A local shop has had an E9 languishing in their counter for some time, but previous experience with non-stainless Kahrs is they will rust if you look at them with moist eyes. A trip to Robar for NP3 might be sexy. Decisions.....

Drew78
04-17-2016, 11:35 AM
I was actually primed to buy a Shield, but it just doesn't fit my hand right. Having small hands, the Kahr works better for me.

I like the long DAO style trigger stroke, and find my CW9 a good complement to my P250. Mine is also very accurate at 25 yds with my preferred 124gr+p GDHPs. I carry it as a BUG on and off duty. The top round in the spare magazine does want to walk, which I never experienced in the .40 version.....periodic checks help.

The grip wants to get a little squirmy after several dozen rounds, which made me contemplate going to an all-steel version with the rubber grips again. A local shop has had an E9 languishing in their counter for some time, but previous experience with non-stainless Kahrs is they will rust if you look at them with moist eyes. A trip to Robar for NP3 might be sexy. Decisions.....

Agreed, the trigger is very smooth and it's very accurate pistol. I've seen the top round walk too, just something to keeping an eye on as you indicated. If you can get one that is gremlin free, they are sweet little guns. *thinking about keeping mine now...*

ffhounddog
04-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Ironically, I got rid of my CW9 for a Beretta nano. I have more faith in Beretta than Khar.

Dave J
04-17-2016, 02:25 PM
My CW9 exceeded my expectations. I've got over 3K on it, with only one stoppage, not counting when it was brand new and anemic Federal Champion wouldn't quite cycle it. That problem cured itself within the first 50 rounds.

I did dehorn the slide stop and slide serrations a bit, and had to touch the base of the grip to a belt sander to get magazines to seat reliably...I don't consider either of those a big deal given the price of the gun. I do wish the CW guns had the dovetailed front sight from the P-series, but Dawson and Trijicon have replacement front sights that will work.

My other Kahr data point is a P9, that is my NPE carry, and basically the same gun with some nicer finishing touches. I stopped shooting the P9 regularly once the CW9 became my trainer, but it has about 1100 rounds with only two stoppages, neither of which I count against the gun. One was while shooting from a retention position where I believe I interfered with the slide, the other was where a pocket-carried mag had the top round partially dislodged and I didn't fix it before jamming it into the mag well...that didn't work out so well. :) The mag incident was at an IDPA match were I made a spontaneous decision to shoot the Kahr instead of my normal gun, and only had one mag carrier with me. As others have mentioned, the magazines are NOT tolerant of pocket carry, but I've never had an issue with mags stowed in leather or Kydex.

The feed lips have a sharp corner that probably should not be removed, so gloves or a mag loader are nice if shooting a lot.

The grip is small compared to my hands, but somehow still works for me. YMMV, of course.

I happen to like the trigger, and find I can transition back and forth with the other pistols I care about, namely TDA Berettas and NY1/- Glocks, fairly easily. I also think the Kahr trigger helps cure any anticipation issues that I might occasionally pick up from other guns. And, after a practice session with the little CW9, where I really have to pay attention to the sights, normal service pistols seem almost "self-guided" in comparison.

If you're accustomed to riding a short reset, the Kahr might not be a good choice. Other than that, I think they're certainly worth considering for a small flat gun, along with the PPS, G43, Shield, etc.

ReverendMeat
04-17-2016, 05:11 PM
I liked my CW9, though I only had maybe 400 rounds through it before I traded it for a P239. I liked the trigger, it concealed very nicely, and it was reliable with all the FMJ I put through it. I found that it did not like my carry ammo, 147 grain PDX1 or Gold Dot (don't quite remember which).

RevolverRob
04-18-2016, 06:58 AM
CW9 is one of my favorite guns in the sub-$400 market. I'm also an unabashed fan of Kahr Arms, so take it for what it is worth.

FYI, I have six Kahr magazines and none of them lose their top round. Kahr made some changes to the magazine feedlips and follower a few years ago that seems to have solved this problem mostly. Although, I had one magazine when brand new that would occasionally push a round forward. After a couple of hundred rounds it stopped. The mag spring was really tight in that magazine and it took considerable effort to put in the last round.

-Rob