PDA

View Full Version : UK version 2.0 - NY State looks to ban Machetes

HCM
04-14-2016, 11:43 PM
‘A Deadly Weapon’: New York Senate Passes Legislation to Outlaw Machetes in the Empire State

It may not be long before machetes are banned in New York.

The Empire State’s Senate passed a bill, S.3199A, by a 54-5 vote margin Tuesday classifying a machete as a “deadly weapon,” making it a crime to possess one with the penalty of up to one year in prison.

Many of the legislation’s co-sponsors have long advocated the criminalization of machetes, and it will now head to the state Assembly, where the fate of the bill will be decided.

“Despite the obvious serious injury that can be caused by the use of a machete,” state Sen. Tony Avella (D) wrote in a memo, “such weapons have not been included in the penal law’s definition of ‘deadly weapon.’”

Should the bill become law, machetes will join a lot list of items classified as “deadly weapons,” including switchblades, daggers, metal or plastic knuckles, gravity and ballistic knives, billy clubs and blackjacks. Possession of any of these items is a misdemeanor and can result in as much as one year in jail.

The Senate’s passage of the legislation comes on the heels of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio acknowledging a drop in the city’s murders and shootings, but noting that slashings and stabbings are increasing.

According to Guns.com, the number of knife attacks in the Big Apple for the first quarter of 2016 increased by more than 20 percent to 899, up from 746 such attacks at the same time last year.

Similar legislation introduced last year by Avella after a fatal machete attack in Long Island, New York, failed to gain much traction due to multiple challenges.

Legal defense for possession charges requires the possessor to show they did not intend to use the weapon unlawfully, which can present some difficulties. For example, in 2015, an electrician in possession of what police determined a gravity knife won a $57,000 settlement when the court found the blade to be a utility knife used for work.

However, state leaders are determined to do something to curb the violent attacks occurring with knives.

“Stabbings and slashings aren’t going away,” NYC Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said at a press conference, adding that such crimes are a “reality” for those living in New York City.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/04/14/a-deadly-weapon-new-york-senate-passes-legislation-to-outlaw-machetes-in-the-empire-state/

Ridiculous but not surprising. It's been a while but I recall stabbings with screw drivers and slashings with box cutters being much bigger problems.

Hambo
04-15-2016, 07:50 AM
I have a suggestion for NY and New Yorkers: just make a list of what is legal because it will be a hell of a lot shorter and easier to remember. Oh, and please confine that fucked up thinking within the borders of the Empire state. You'll pry my machete from my hot, sweaty, dehydrated hands.

Robinson
04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
If machetes are outlawed only outlaws will have machetes. Wait, this is NYC... never mind.

chiral
04-15-2016, 08:06 AM
They'll probably change the law to only include high capacity military assault machetes....for the children. Bolt action hunting machetes will still be legal :p

TiroFijo
04-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Around here (in all of south america really) a machete is a tool, just like a cooking knife or something like that. But wait, surely they are plannig to ban chef knives just like in the UK.

Of course you can use as a deadly weapon, and a VERY effective one; but it's the same with some many common objects and tools.

Trivia: in the Chaco War every paraguayan soldier had a machete, and it was a truly feared weapon by the bolivians. Perhaps the gurkha knive also evolved from tool to mythical status in the same way.

Robinson
04-15-2016, 08:51 AM
The government should encourage machete ownership just because it IS an effective tool that can be pressed into service as a weapon if needed. Wait, that was "Another Country".

HCM
04-15-2016, 02:05 PM
If machetes are outlawed only outlaws will have machetes. Wait, this is NYC... never mind.

If it was just NYC it wouldn't have much effect. This is state wide. While about half the population is in NYC, the majority of NY state is rural / suburban, where a machete is a practical tool.

This is just stupid.

Wondering Beard
04-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Perhaps the gurkha knive also evolved from tool to mythical status in the same way.

It did and is actually still being used and sold as a tool.

Stephanie B
04-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Coming soon to a theater near you: Danny Trejo as "Screwdriver Cortez"....

TiroFijo
04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
The street punks in south america carry these expensive and extremely sophisticated weapons, and can make very good use of it:

http://mla-s1-p.mlstatic.com/cubiertos-tramontina-ipanema-x-12-cuchillo-tenedor-cuchara-478411-MLA20566671542_012016-F.jpg

Contless people have been stabbed to death (or nearly) with it.

We should ban them and only use blunt plastic fork and knives, for the children!!

HCM
04-16-2016, 09:10 PM
The street punks in south america carry these expensive and extremely sophisticated weapons, and can make very good use of it:

http://mla-s1-p.mlstatic.com/cubiertos-tramontina-ipanema-x-12-cuchillo-tenedor-cuchara-478411-MLA20566671542_012016-F.jpg

Contless people have been stabbed to death (or nearly) with it.

We should ban them and only use blunt plastic fork and knives, for the children!!

The UK wants to do exactly that.

TiroFijo
04-16-2016, 09:59 PM
That one (and similar models) is also the most usual table knife in all of south america, by far. Skinny, weak 4.4" blade.

DacoRoman
04-17-2016, 07:17 AM
You can't hunt a Dddeeeaaahhh with a Machete!

shane45
04-17-2016, 08:14 AM
This is the result when the focus is on the inanimate object instead of the actor...

If I still lived in NY I would have a HUGE problem with this. My grandfather and I went on many trips to our property in upstate NY using his machete to clear the trails to the river etc etc. It was the companion on many camping trips we took to Lake George. My grandfather left me the Machete when he passed. Now I would have to give up that heirloom who's value is in the memories it represents because some politician in a nanny state decided it so?

Laws created that indiscriminately impact law abiding citizens are at their core, bad laws.

GuanoLoco
04-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Terrifying...Must be controlled with LAWS!

shane45
04-18-2016, 02:11 PM
GuanoLoco, you have located the source of the issue!!!!! Its hollywood's fault for making movies like that causing people to favor the Machete!!!!!