PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 mid-size with FSS

GJM
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Just got my M&P 45 mid-size back from Apex, where Scott there, per my request, installed an FSS trigger at 5 pounds (and a FRE). Along with my thumb safety modified to require more force to disengage, and Trijicon HD sights, it seems like a great carry rig and something I am comfortable to use AIWB. First three shots at seven yards went into one hole, and when I stepped back to 18 yards, and fired four shots offhand, all we're touching -- reinforcing how accurate the M&P 45's are.

I am considering reducing the trigger pull a half pound, but in any event am delighted, as this seems to combine the trigger and accuracy of a custom 1911 with the benefits of polymer.

DocGKR
10-23-2011, 12:12 AM
For a carry/duty pistol, keeping trigger pull at 5lbs or above is prudent...

JAD
10-23-2011, 07:05 AM
George is probably ok.

ToddG
10-24-2011, 02:17 PM
You cloveleafed four rounds at 18yd. I wouldn't do anything to change the trigger pull.

JAD
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
You cloveleafed four rounds at 18yd. I wouldn't do anything to change the trigger pull.
George could probably do better.

rsa-otc
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM

I concur with Doc.

SecondsCount
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
The midsize M&P45 is a solid choice if you want a daily carry in 45ACP. It is a little thicker than a 4.25" 1911 but definitely lighter.

I cleaned the trigger up on mine which was an improvement but I bet the Apex kit is even better.

I shot Pennzoil's 9mm with the FSS at the AFHF class and really liked it.

Pennzoil
10-24-2011, 06:45 PM
If it was me I would stay with the 5 pound trigger pull even though my 9mm FSS comes in lighter then that currently.TBH though I went with the FSS kit for the wider trigger face and most important to me how it positions the trigger further to the rear so I can reach the trigger better with my tiny fingers while using medium and large back straps with everything else just being a bonus. Goals maybe different around the kit. I know when we were talking about the FSS I seemed on the fence still but I'm a big fan now after practicing more with it. I just tend to be pessimistic about new things at first.

Do you by chance know if Apex has a new trigger spring specifically for the FSS now? I'm probably going to stock up on trigger springs soon and start replacing them earlier then recommended. Did your stock extractor have the hydraulically pressed in pin or the roll pin? And did they use a roll pin for when they installed the FRE?

After hearing your accuracy results with that M&P 45 I'm tempted to look for a Compact M&P 45 to send to APEX.

Comedian
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Agree. When the adrenaline is pumping, 5lbs will feel really light.

KeeFus
10-26-2011, 10:17 PM
We qualified 1/2 of our department tonight on the new mid-size M&P 45. No real issues (one gun kept failing to feed...she was shooting it bone dry so a little gun oil killed that problem) and qualification scores are up from last year. These 45 are accurate as hell out of the box. They feel like they're at about 5-6 lbs on the trigger pull...and I can't see any reason for them to be less than that.

GJM
10-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Despite being somewhat close in weight, there is absolutely no comparison between the stock M&P trigger and the Apex FSS trigger.

I should have been more precise in my original post -- the trigger, according to Scott at Apex, is at 5.25 pounds. The accuracy of this pistol is amazing, but going at "Dot Torture" speed, almost any trigger can be managed. My question, which I have still not answered, is would a half pound reduction in the trigger weight hit that sweet spot between carry and being able to run the trigger at speed. Perhaps it is mainly psychological, and if Scott told me it was 4.75 I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

My wife and I will be at the Rogers School next week, so I will give Bill, Ronnie and the guys a chance to look at it and give their opinion.

xray 99
11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
We qualified 1/2 of our department tonight on the new mid-size M&P 45. No real issues (one gun kept failing to feed...she was shooting it bone dry so a little gun oil killed that problem) and qualification scores are up from last year. These 45 are accurate as hell out of the box. They feel like they're at about 5-6 lbs on the trigger pull...and I can't see any reason for them to be less than that.

What duty holster is your department using?

GJM
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I shot the mid-size M&P this afternoon with a new batch of 230 HST I got in. The pistol is scary accurate with everything I shoot, but on the first mag of HST, I had a stoppage with a cartridge jammed half way into the barrel. My pocket knife wouldn't pry it out, and I had to get a cleaning rod and knock the round out from the muzzle. Shot 100 more rounds without a problem, so not sure whether this was an anomaly? In any event, I loaded it back up with Ranger T 230. Makes a good argument for a back-up. Anyone else had must HST experience with their M&P 45's?

DocGKR
11-07-2011, 12:40 AM
230 gr HST is the duty round here--works great in M&P45's.

JohnN
11-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Seems with today's lack of quality control by major ammunition manufacturers it is important to chamber check each round you intend to use for carry or duty.

SecondsCount
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I shot the mid-size M&P this afternoon with a new batch of 230 HST I got in. The pistol is scary accurate with everything I shoot, but on the first mag of HST, I had a stoppage with a cartridge jammed half way into the barrel. My pocket knife wouldn't pry it out, and I had to get a cleaning rod and knock the round out from the muzzle. Shot 100 more rounds without a problem, so not sure whether this was an anomaly? In any event, I loaded it back up with Ranger T 230. Makes a good argument for a back-up. Anyone else had must HST experience with their M&P 45's?
No HST experience here but I run the 230 grain Ranger T in my M&P and 1911's without an issue.

Funny thing is that my M&P45 does not like the semiwadcutter loads that run fine in my 1911's. Others have stated that SWC ammo works fine in their guns so maybe some slight tweaking of the overal length will fix the issue. It is not a big deal to me since I have a 200 grain RNFP practice load that is accurate and consistently reliable.

YVK
11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
HSTs run great in my 1911s - would be surprised if they didn't do well in pistols of modern design.