PDA

View Full Version : Range fees - How much do you pay?

PPGMD
04-14-2016, 01:55 PM
So on Facebook a local gunshop started advertising that they were opening up a range, and advertising memberships. It was the normal basic outdoor range setup, pistol range, 100 yard range range, and a tactical bay that is open sometimes. The catch was the membership was $1,000 a year, which I thought was outrageous for the facilities.

So it get me thinking what do other people pay to go to the range? If you pay monthly just add your yearly total. I am also going to set it up for multiple choice for people that are members of multiple ranges.

Josh Runkle
04-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Outdoor state range: very restricted rules. (Can't fire anything more than very slow fire): $25/year

Indoor Range, Rifle and Pistol: Free tuesdays, discounted fee rest of year, 5-10% discount in store: $125/year

JM Campbell
04-14-2016, 02:13 PM
So on Facebook a local gunshop started advertising that they were opening up a range, and advertising memberships. It was the normal basic outdoor range setup, pistol range, 100 yard range range, and a tactical bay that is open sometimes. The catch was the membership was $1,000 a year, which I thought was outrageous for the facilities.

So it get me thinking what do other people pay to go to the range? If you pay monthly just add your yearly total. I am also going to set it up for multiple choice for people that are members of multiple ranges.
Indoor very much like the nra range, a/c heated $48.95 a month I believe.

Outdoor I believe it was $350 a year with targets out to 300yd steel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

davisj
04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
$150 a year after the first year which was $450 total, $150 for the first year and the $300 initiation fee.Trap and skeet on one side, the "shot" side. As I recall there are 6 trap ranges and 3 skeet ranges. The "bullet" side has three pistol pits, a 50 yard utility pit for rifle and pistol, a 22 pistol pit and 22 rifle range. Also has a rifle range with target boards at 100 and 200 yards.

The club holds IDPA-ish matches once a month with two of those being BUG matches. Matches are an extra $10 for members, $15 for guests. They also hold monthly rim fire and high power matches. To me it is definitely worth the money even with a 50 minute commute each way.

Robinson
04-14-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm currently paying the hourly rate, but indoor range memberships in my area start at around $250/yr on up to around $500/yr depending on membership level. I've gone that way in the past and probably will again at some point.

Sam
04-14-2016, 02:35 PM
My wife and I pay $56.50/month for the nicest indoor range in the area.

okie john
04-14-2016, 02:47 PM
I pay $120 a year to use an outdoor facility with a 200-yard rifle range, a 50-yard pistol range, 15 action bays, and a trap & skeet field. I know the Rangemaster and I'm a Range Safety Officer so I get to bend the rules a little when nobody else is around, but I still can't draw from the holster on the pistol range most of the time, and I can't use the action bays alone. This one is about 30 minutes from my house, and I do most of my longer-range work with both handguns and long guns here.

I also pay $450/year to use an indoor facility with a 17-yard range. I can draw from the holster without any meaningful restrictions, and for two hours a month, I have access to a private bay where I can turn the lights off and do all manner of run, dodge, and jump stuff. Still limited to 17 yards by the building's design. This one is also within 30 minutes from my house. I use it to focus on low-light/defensive/speed work with handguns.

Between these two ranges, I shoot 3-5 days a week when I'm not traveling for work. They're enough for probably 85-90% of what I need to do. For the rest, I pay $175 a year to use an outdoor facility with a 600-yard rifle range, 20 action bays, a 50-yard pistol range, a pistol plinking range, and a trap & skeet field. Unfortunately, this one is three hours away, so I have to plan my trips there in pretty painstaking detail.

Aside from annual fees, that's it--none of them charges a per-visit fee.

Okie John

Talionis
04-14-2016, 03:31 PM
The outdoor ranges near me are 25, 75, and 100 a year. Each has at least 6 action pistol bays where you can do more or less whatever you want, each includes steel such as plate racks on at least several of the bays, and each has rifle ranges that go out to ~300, ~600, and ~1000 respectively. Each is within more or less 45 minutes of downtown Boise. I like it up here.

Luke
04-14-2016, 03:33 PM
None :( trying to get into a club that is $300 a year and is NICE. 50-720 yard rifle, like 10 action bays, shotgun field, old west shoot out town, and much more.

Sal Picante
04-14-2016, 03:39 PM
http://alpharange.com is $1000.00 for a membership ... Key in, key out. Calendar reservation system. Do what you want. Don't get hurt. Shoot the walls (up armored) Don't shoot the steel with a rifle.

This is pretty much the best it gets indoors & Chicago. (Winter sux)

richiecotite
04-14-2016, 03:43 PM
$420 per year @ www.eliteshootingsports.com

CCT125US
04-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Indoor Range, Rifle and Pistol: Free tuesdays, discounted fee rest of year, 5-10% discount in store: $125/year

^This^
&
My range is free with the exception of property tax...

ReverendMeat
04-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Back in Oregon, annual fee at Johnson Creek Gun Club (50' only, handguns a rimfire rifles only, no rapid fire etc etc, no RSOs, poorly lit, poorly ventilated) was about $150-175. Currently the ranges I go to near Milwaukee are $15-20 per hour, annual memberships are available but I'm not a member anywhere on account of I don't belong here and am leaving as soon as possible.

45dotACP
04-14-2016, 03:53 PM
http://alpharange.com is $1000.00 for a membership ... Key in, key out. Calendar reservation system. Do what you want. Don't get hurt. Shoot the walls (up armored) Don't shoot the steel with a rifle.

This is pretty much the best it gets indoors & Chicago. (Winter sux)

Been meaning to get other that way to check it out when work calms down...

Sal Picante
04-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Been meaning to get other that way to check it out when work calms down...

Show up this coming Wed and see how we run a USPSA match...

Nephrology
04-14-2016, 06:08 PM
$65/yr + an 8 hour work bond obligation OR another $100/yr. Because I am a medical student my work-bond obligation has been waived so far. Will probably put in the hours voluntarily during the PhD phase.

Gets me 2350 acres of range, including 13 action pistol bays, an 800 yard metallic silhouette range, a bullseye pistol range, a trap/skeet range, a few different rifle ranges (200-500 yards I believe). All outdoors, open sunrise to sunset, and with Colorado weather conditions usually are favorable for shooting ~320 days of the year.

bigslim
04-14-2016, 06:22 PM
$350 a year and you can knock $50 off of that if you can do 2 working parties a year.

Dedicated 22 range with steel at 50 and 100 yards
2 Traps and Skeet range (shut down for now for relocation)
Defensive Shotgun bay
Steel bay
Large and Small pistol bay (small bay is basically one person gets it to them selves)
50, 100, 200 yard rifle bay (50 yard can be use with both pistol and rifle)
20 yards indoor range
Tomahawk/Ax/Throwing Knife range
Archery range

We have a bunch of competitive stuff going on also. USPSA, Indoor winter USPSA, precision rifle, indoor and outdoor precision rimfire, and the 357 youth group.

Mike

Paltares8
04-14-2016, 06:23 PM
So far my wife and I haven't joined a club, so we're stuck going to an indoor range at a local gun shop. It's $12 an hour or something like that. You used to have to buy their ammo but they recently changed that. Other than there, there's a club about 45 minutes away that is open to the public a few hours a week that we like, or the game lands. We really need to join a club though, and now that all the boys are in school it's going to happen soon.

Clobbersaurus
04-14-2016, 07:07 PM
$115 for my main range which is a very good facility. $45 for the other range which I use just when it rains. Both are outdoor.

VolGrad
04-14-2016, 07:12 PM
The club I belong to is about 20 minutes from me. Separate pistol, skeet & trap, archery, and 200yd rifle range. Covered shooting stations. Small clubhouse ..... really small. Nice facility though overall but very Fudd. Not a tactical range. Membership capped at 400 with a wait list to get in. Been a member for about 8 years. Just went up from $100 to $150 this year. Still worth it even if I don't get out that much any more.

trailrunner
04-14-2016, 07:35 PM
I pay $285 a year for a 20 yard indoor range that does not have heat or air conditioning. The range is OK, and is often crowded. However, it is less than four miles from my house and very convenient, so I keep going there.

Chris Rhines
04-14-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm a Platinum member at the NRA Headquarters Range, which runs $500/yr. It's a typical 50-yard indoor range, but I can draw from the holster, shoot as fast as I like, shoot rifles, etc. Really, not a bad deal at all. I'm usually there twice a week.

I also have a membership at Peacemaker National Training Center as part of my sponsorship deal with them. Pretty much anything is available up there.

I'd pay $1000/yr. for a range membership, but for that kind of money I'd expect outstanding facilities (1000+ yard rifle range, multiple practical bays), no limits on type of shooting, and access to the props storage.

backtrail540
04-14-2016, 10:10 PM
$35 the first year $25 a year after that. They provide a berm(5 pistol bays and 1 100 yard rifle range) and a few benches. I provide my own targets, steel, stands and everything else i may need. No ro. A few simple rules like don't shoot glass and keep the range clean etc...nice setup.

HCM
04-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I pay $240 a year for the main outdoor range I use. It features nine public bays ranging from 25 to 100 yards. Basic membership for the public bays is $140. You can use anything on their target stands except shotguns and full auto. Basic members are eligible for premium membership after 1 year. As a premium member, I can also access a steel bay (pistol and shotgun/ bird shot only) and three additional training bays where I can bring my own steel or target stands. These bays are 55, 65 and 70 yards. Downside is mud and associated range closures in heavy rain.

I'm also a member at an indoor range which is $27 per month. It is heated & cooled, with program-able target carriers going out to 25 yards. You can shoot rifle, pistol or shotgun. restrictions - Brass cased ammo only / no bird shot in shotguns. Down side you cant control the lighting at your firing point.

richiecotite
04-14-2016, 11:14 PM
I pay $285 a year for a 20 yard indoor range that does not have heat or air conditioning. The range is OK, and is often crowded. However, it is less than four miles from my house and very convenient, so I keep going there.

Sounds like Sharpshooters in Lorton.....

I used to go there about 2 yrs ago. Gunshop has a good selection, the Range Officers are pretty solid. But yeah, the conditions on the range are a bit...outdated. Especially for the money they pull in.

Tamara
04-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Two ranges.

One indoor range (https://www.indyarms.com/), less than two miles from my front door. New, clean, well-lit, well-ventilated Uses LED lighting on the range, which means chrono work would be possible in a pinch. Lowest common denominator range rules are in effect: No working from the holster and a 1rd/sec speed limit. There are two bays: a 6-lane 50ft pistol bay and a 6-lane 25yd rifle/pistol bay. Rifle bay limited to 7.62x39/.300BLK/5.56/6.8 and below. Annual membership (pistol bay only) is $400. Pistol & Rifle is $540.

One outdoor range (http://indyrange.org/), in town but a 30-min drive. Main line has berms at 10, 25, 50, and 100 yards. Two 25yd pistol bays with permanent steel. Pistol & shotgun only. Working from the holster is allowed, but shooting on the move is not. ~$100/yr dues.

(Disclaimer: I am a former employee of the indoor range and am on the board of directors of the outdoor range.)

hufnagel
04-15-2016, 05:20 AM
$150+tax/year if I do a work day at the club (which I usually do. Oct/Nov time frame, bring the chainsaw and the axe. Guaranteed NOT to have to clean the bathrooms then! :D ) or $200+tax/year if I don't. We're members only and we have no "staff". Indoor 25yd pistol and Indoor 100yd rifle. It's not the fanciest or the most modern, but when I go (usually during a week day) I'm frequently the only one there for hours, and i've been known to take my lunch and spend the whole day. For the money it can't be beat.

Slavex
04-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Membership at my club is $160 a year for a regular and $185 for a family. First year has an initiation fee of $25 and if you don't attend one workbee there is a $35 fee added onto your next year's fee. Outdoor ranges only all certified to 50 BMG except the 20m pistol. 100m, 60m, 20m and an action bay for matches. There is an indoor but it is only for organized events currently. We have a cap of 2000 members for this year and will likely hit that by June. We have a few big plans in the works including a 3.5 million dollar indoor, but we are waiting for the dollar to improve before we go ahead with it.

BigT
04-15-2016, 05:45 AM
So here goes the advantages of living in the third world

My club is about $130 annually if I include the required provincial and national IPSC affiliation. That gives me free use of the range year round except for the week before we host a level 3 match.

Club shoots are just under $3
Leagues are $10

We have staff to build and break down ranges

They will even help you by bringing you target stands when you come practice.

ETA range is members only so no need to deal with mouthbreathers and their spawn

fixer
04-15-2016, 05:45 AM
$50/yr. Hobbs gun club. Super cheap but occasionally the derp comes out in droves. In bad weather months, the range is empty.

walker2713
04-15-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm very fortunate to live in an area in Louisiana where I have access to two ranges: the sheriff department's outdoor rifle/handgun range where my status as a veteran entitles me to free access year around; and an hour away, the Prince Memorial Gun Range where for $125 a year I have 7 day a week access to a rifle range out to 750 yards, a pistol and trap range. This is where I participate in monthly 300 and 600 yard rifle matches.

There is an indoor range at one of the local hardware/outdoor stores. They offer ten visits for $100, and on rare occasions I utilize that when weather conditions are extreme.

LOKNLOD
04-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Two ranges for me, as well.

OKC gun club - $200/yr, less if you do a (relatively hard to get) work day. It's most of a square mile section, and has high power, shotgun, archery, etc. I always go into the separate "action pistol" area when I go, where I can get a bay to myself and do pretty much whatever I want.
Downsides are it's a good 45-min drive from the house, and because it's busy with events (matches) it can be hard to get out there on a weekend and get in the pistol bays.

Wilshire Gun is a new, "upscale" indoor range. It's a mile from my office, so it's very convenient for after work or lunch break. It's got nice facilities, 25y pistol, 35y rifle+pistol, and 101y rifle ranges.
Range fees are $15/h for the short bays and $28/h for the rifle. Which makes $50/month membership comparatively reasonable (and a downright steal if you go more than a couple times a month). It has typical indoor range limitations. They do have a pretty decent restaurant, and booze(if you like that stuff), but their storefront is stupid-expensive. They also
Host a local class3 shop so there are machine gun rentals and stuff.