PDA

View Full Version : Sig 220/226 Elite Opinions

RONK
04-14-2016, 06:03 AM
In my quest to get back into TDA pistols,I'm thinking about the Sig 226 Elite 9mm and the 220 Elite in 45 ACP.I know there heavy,which is fine by me,in the past I've seen some QC issues with the front sight coming out of the dovetail but I haven't seen that issue in a a few years.I also have read about extractor issues on older 220's.The only two things that I don't like,are the rosewood grips and the trigger,it seems to me to have an extreme curve,would a short trigger help?I'd like your opinions please on the two pistols?Thanks for any help.

Odin Bravo One
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Grips are cheap and easy to replace, in fact you'll make money by selling them on your local trader/buy/sell board. QA/QC is not something I worry about much with Sig. Everyone makes a piece of shit once in awhile, but Sig has a long and well earned reputation for quality. I wouldn't let a few Internet commandos one-off experiences affect my decisions on what to purchase.

All of that said, I'm not a fan of the Elite frames at all. If you are using an appropriate high grip conducive to shooting well, you will find this is not possible due to the poor angle and ergonomics of the beavertail. A run of the mill 220 or 226 is much better suited to actual shooting.

Caliber is a never ending debate and one I'm sure more than one will be more that happy to given you their opinions and rationale for them. My opinion is pick whatever the fuck you want. It's your gun, not mine. If you have to use it, it will be your life on the line, not mine.

WOLFIE
04-14-2016, 02:42 PM
I would look for a sig with the SRT system; you may have thought of this already. A steel frame Sig for competition and an aluminum frame one for carry might be a nice set up. If i wanted a 45 auto Sig, i would buy the P227 over the P220. The P227 tacops has a beavertail....a properly shaped beavertail in my opinion.

warpedcamshaft
04-14-2016, 03:49 PM
I also found the Elite frame to be counter-productive and unnecessary when compared to the standard frame. I've never been close to getting slide bite or hammer bite from a Sig, despite using as high of a grip as I can get.

LockedBreech
04-14-2016, 06:53 PM
I bought a plain-jain P220R last year (Nitron black slide, night sights, no other stuff) and it is really, really growing on me. Such a comfortable gun with the stock E2 grips and scary accurate.