PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W Glock Brass

Mitch
04-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Anyone here reload 40 brass from a recent production Glock? Do you use regular dies or something like the EGW undersized die? Any issues with rounds not chambering regularly?

gkieser92
04-14-2016, 12:56 AM
I use regular Lee dies, including the factory crimp die. Never any issues with clambering.

mmc45414
04-14-2016, 06:26 AM
I use regular Lee dies, including the factory crimp die. Never any issues with clambering.
Yup

Hauptmann
04-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Anyone here reload 40 brass from a recent production Glock? Do you use regular dies or something like the EGW undersized die? Any issues with rounds not chambering regularly?

Are you having problems? I use a Dillon carbide resizing die and Glock .40 brass reloads just fine. I actually enjoy reloading for .40 more than 9mm or .45 as the brass tends to be more uniform across many manufacturers and the straighter case wall glides through resizing smoother.

Mitch
04-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Are you having problems? I use a Dillon carbide resizing die and Glock .40 brass reloads just fine. I actually enjoy reloading for .40 more than 9mm or .45 as the brass tends to be more uniform across many manufacturers and the straighter case wall glides through resizing smoother.

I've actually never loaded .40, I don't even have dies yet. I'm glad to hear that it seems like most of what I read while I was researching isn't much of an issue.

I was thinking about actually trying Dillon dies, but I got nervous after reading about "glock buldge" online. I'm thinking about getting a Glock 22 for a gamer gun because: major power factor and I have Glock 17 holsters it will fit.

I know Glocks in 40 s&w don't have the best reputation, but it's been a while since I've done something that would get me killed in the streets.

Hauptmann
04-15-2016, 08:42 AM
In my experience newer generation Glock 22s and 23s run just fine, provided that you keep them serviced on schedule. Tom Givens has used a long slide Glock .40 for years and loves it. The new .40 Glocks also have more chamber support than the older generation .40 Glocks. The 9mm bulges cases a lot too, but it is not a noticeable as the .40 because the 9mm's tapered case visually hides it more. The .40 has a straighter case wall, so that bulge seems more evident. The problem with early .40 pistols and ruptured cases was due to poor Glock chamber support in early guns, and a thinner .40 case wall. Both issues have been addressed and you shouldn't be concerned with modern equipment.

The only thing about Glock .40s that I don't like is that they aren't a very comfortable .40 to shoot. H&Ks, Sigs, and M&Ps are much more comfortable to shoot full power .40 loads.

deputyG23
04-15-2016, 07:57 PM
.40 is more enjoyable for me as well, for the reasons you mentioned. Loading 9mm is somewhat of a PITA in my opinion due to varying case dimensions and crimped primer pockets. Ditto on the pistol choices as well. My .40s are all Glocks and I am wanting a softer shooting .40.

Hauptmann
04-16-2016, 07:14 AM
.40 is more enjoyable for me as well, for the reasons you mentioned. Loading 9mm is somewhat of a PITA in my opinion due to varying case dimensions and crimped primer pockets. Ditto on the pistol choices as well. My .40s are all Glocks and I am wanting a softer shooting .40.

Yep, 9mm can be a PITA to reload, unless you are working with only American commercial brass. Once you start getting into various military brass, crimped primers, and variable case dimensions it really slows down production. On a really cold day I tried to resize a Federal NATO case and it got stuck in the sizing die. Ended up ripping out the carbide sizing ring in the process.

mmc45414
04-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Yep, 9mm can be a PITA to reload... crimped primers, and variable case dimensions...
I have even been having some where the flash hole is too small for the de-capping pin.

A feature I like about the Lee dies is that de-capping pin is held in a collet so when you encounter something like this it just pushes the rod up, typically without damage. I keep the collet only as tight as it needs to be and just tap it back down with a hammer when a goofy case pushes it up.

Back on topic, I think enough time has passed that the early Glocks that were much of the issue are not in as much circulation and the potential of getting a case from one is diminished. But at one time the chatter was that the Lee .40 die was shaped in a manner that was resizing slightly closer to the rim. I admit I got a little caught up in the notion that .40 was some kind of special challenge and did go from a Dillon Die to a Lee, though I had never had any issue.

LSP972
04-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Yep, 9mm can be a PITA to reload, unless you are working with only American commercial brass. Once you start getting into various military brass, crimped primers, and variable case dimensions it really slows down production. On a really cold day I tried to resize a Federal NATO case and it got stuck in the sizing die. Ended up ripping out the carbide sizing ring in the process.

Wow… haven't heard that one before. I'm surprised it didn't rip through the rim first. What did the die manufacturer say?

BTW, 100% in agreement with some of your earlier statements; anything other than U.S. commercial 9mm brass can be a significant rectal discomfort to reload, Glock .40s are distinctly uncomfortable to shoot, etc.

Hauptmann
04-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Wow… haven't heard that one before. I'm surprised it didn't rip through the rim first. What did the die manufacturer say?

BTW, 100% in agreement with some of your earlier statements; anything other than U.S. commercial 9mm brass can be a significant rectal discomfort to reload, Glock .40s are distinctly uncomfortable to shoot, etc.

Dillon replaced the sizing die for free, and sent me a shipping box with label to send the broken die back to their R&D department. I guess that Dillon presses the carbide sizing ring into the die and crimps it in place. Maybe the cold day contributed to the metals shrinking and making the tolerances tighter, in combination with making the die steel more brittle?.......not sure. I'm now a little gun-shy about continuing to resize if I meet unusually stiff resistance. However, I always run into these occasionally very hard to resize cases with mixed 9mm brass......never really with .40 or .45.