PDA

View Full Version : Longtime lurker aiwb question

Spectre044
10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Im not a big guy, but I have a very athletic frame. Im 5"9', 170lbs. 29 inch waist, 40-42 coat depending on the cut. Have any others on here with a similar body type tried aiwb and if so, what holsters have you found to work best for you. Im currently managing a m&p9fs in a comptac iwb which works relatively well but I would like to try aiwb since it seems to be an easier way to carry a fullsize. Im concerned about carry a striker fired gun in.that position but I think with extra caution, I will be okay. I don't have lots of money to buy and try out multiple different holsters which is why I ask. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jac
10-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Geez, you're in better shape than I am. I'm about 5'10", and hover around 135ish pounds with a 29-30 inch waist. With a button-down shirt (or t-shirt that drapes right), I've carried a 1911 AIWB with little to no printing. It sounds like you'd have the shoulders and chest to guarantee a proper drape. If you got something like a CCC Shaggy, you'd be fine.

fuse
10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
What be said about the Shaggy.

iakdrago
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm in the same boat 6'4 190 pounds. At first i was skeptical about concealing my glock 19, but even with a cheap 25$ blade tech holster it's not a problem. You will need a heavy duty belt that does not flex, and will be able to support the weight of the gun. I don't wear loose clothes, or special kind of concealment garments--polo + jeans are a staple. When you first start carrying--you'll think that everyone sees the "print" of the gun handle. However, after conducting a couple of experiments (visiting my parents, my gf's parents, close friends) and them not even noticing, it's safe to say that it's well concealed. Keep in mind--this is with a cheap $25 holster that's for a Glock17--a larger pistol. A better holster like the CC Shaggy should reduce the profile even more. YMMV. Ill post some pictures if that helps.

Jac
10-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I should mention that my experiments with the 1911 were with a cheapo nylon clip holster; I just cranked my belt down to tuck the butt of the gun in. It wasn't comfortable for long, but it was just to see if I could do it.

But with a good belt, and a holster (like the Shaggy) that has, as a function of its design, a way to tuck the butt of the pistol in, AIWB is very concealable.

Spectre044
10-22-2011, 01:57 PM
If you have pictures, that would be a huge help. I have learned that most people never notice minor printing because they are not expecting people to carry. Im mostly concerned at how much the holster/gun combo will push out the front of my pants because I have such a small waist. I may have to bite the bullet and just try it but I would definitely appreciate the pictures. I plan to try to order something by Wednesday so I am going to continue to watch this thread and see what people say until then

SmokeJumper
10-22-2011, 02:18 PM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29
This thread has a ton of info and pics that should assist you. A lot of guys here have had very good success with the CCC Shaggy, C&D AIWB, and the Desbiens #4.

Spectre044
10-22-2011, 02:24 PM
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29
This thread has a ton of info and pics that should assist you. A lot of guys here have had very good success with the CCC Shaggy, C&D AIWB, and the Desbiens #4.

I appreciate the link, but I've actually read the entirety of that thread and every other one here regarding aiwb. My main concern was that none of the people who posted their reviews seemed to have the same body type that I do and from what I read, body type can have a huge impact on how well you are able to carry aiwb so I just wanted to see if anyone who is built similarly to me has carried in this manner and how well it worked for them, especially since I don't really have the money to experiment with many different holsters

MD7305
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm 5'09", 175lbs, and a 32" waist. I currently have a CCC Shaggy and carry a Glock 23. I know that lots of folks carry AIWB 12:00-1:00 but I just can't carry that position without printing. I carry at 1:30-2:30ish. My holster rests just forward of the pointy portion of my right hip bone. I can conceal easily with only a t-shirt and it's very comfy. That's where my "sweet spot" is and in that position my handgun disappears and is comfortable.

Spectre044
10-23-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm 5'09", 175lbs, and a 32" waist. I currently have a CCC Shaggy and carry a Glock 23. I know that lots of folks carry AIWB 12:00-1:00 but I just can't carry that position without printing. I carry at 1:30-2:30ish. My holster rests just forward of the pointy portion of my right hip bone. I can conceal easily with only a t-shirt and it's very comfy. That's where my "sweet spot" is and in that position my handgun disappears and is comfortable.

Do you find that the holster creates a noticeable bulge at your beltline or is that more or less negligible?

JodyH
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm 6'2" 168#, 31" waist (getting back into mountain bike racing shape, so I'm all legs and minimal upper body mass).
I can easily conceal a P2000 AIWB in a Fricke Archangel or a P2000Sk in a Highnoon Hideaway.
I usually wear carpenter jeans or cargo shorts and a T-shirt. I don't dress "tight" but I'm not baggy/sloppy either.
AIWB works great on my skinny frame.
I have a C&D Pardus AIWB that should be here in a week or two for my P30, we'll see how that works.

MD7305
10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Do you find that the holster creates a noticeable bulge at your beltline or is that more or less negligible?

Not with the Shaggy. Although my waist is 32" I usually get my pants with a 34" waist which gives me a bit of slack. I drew a paint image for what I'm about to explain. I have a realtively round belly, not protruding or large, but round (represented by the red line). This creates a pocket of space at approximately 11:30 and 1:30 at my waist line. Even in snug pants properly worn I can easily slide an IWB in either of those spots in front of my hip bone (represented by the dots). When I place my hoslter in that position it fills in the otherwise "slack" area and my waist line just appears round, circular and consistent. I can wear a normal fitting (not too baggy) t-shirt and not print. If anything is seen it might be the top, outside corner of the slide. If I move the holster closer to 12:00 the back end of the slide and grip begin to print noticeably. That's why I carry at 1:30-2:30. For me this is very comfortable; seated, driving, walking, mowing, lifting, reaching, church league bowling etc. and it stays concealed without fighting my shirt to keep it covered. I usually wear a Polo or Button-Up (medium) and it's practically invisble.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/doughnut/AIWB.jpg

I think holsters are personally subjective so there's probably going to be some trial and error. My trial and error follows.

I used a Cane&Derby AIWB with a HK P30. I could not prevent the rear portion of the grip from printing no matter where I wore it. The snap loops probably printed the worst. I had to wear a much looser cover garment (large vs. medium polo/button-up). To be fair, a C&D for my Glock might conceal easier since it's smaller but I imagine the loops would still print.

I had a CCC Shaggy for a Sig 229 and it concealed as well as my Glock does now. I also tried a Dale Fricke AA for my 229 and I had trouble keeping it from printing. It's a nice holster but just didn't work for me.

I tried a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock with my Glock 23 and it concealed okay but had a tendency to stay with the gun on draw. It had a standard clip. At AFHF Todd told me his opinion of the holster and I agreed. I tried a j-hook and it moved around my belt line too much so I sold it at a loss.

The final holster I used is a Blackhawk CQC. I don't think it's intended for AIWB but it can be set for zero cant and works well. It sits a bit lower causing knuckle drag when I grip to draw but I can get a full grip. It's comfortable but I prefer Kydex (Shaggy).

I've heard good things about the Balde-Tech Nano but I've yet to try one. NickDrak did a write up on one I believe. I plan on ordering one for a Glock 35 I have enroute.

I'll try to get some example pics of the Shaggy and CQC posted.

On a side note, as many folks already know, Rich at CCC is a great guy and I think the Shaggy is excellent. His wait times are long but it's worth it in my opinion. I originally ordered a Shaggy for the previously mentioned P30 in May. I switched to Glock in August due to some issues I was having with the P30. When my Shaggy arrived I posted it on a board for sale and Rich contacted me offering to trade out for a Glock holster. I had it in 7 days. Rich is a good people.

YVK
10-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Spectre: AIWB is the least generalizable "would it work for me" question as far as holsters are concerned. I've seen people with similar body types have different outcomes, and I myself had the same type of appendix rig work slightly differently with different pistols.
From what I've seen and experienced, athletic body types with narrow waistlines do very well with AIWB if they have well developed chest muscles. Having decent sized pecs allows to create a drape of clothes around your waist. I've been working on my bench press for about 8 months, and while gains in size have been very modest, concealing AIWB has become easier. 6'2", 187 lbs, 33 waist.
If you're skinny and don't have big chest muscles, you may wanna think minimalistic type of AIWB, which is basically a thin straight drop kydex piece like Fricke holsters or CCC Looper. I personally think that Shaggy is the best design for most, but it does have some additional bulge to it due to wedge shape.

Jody: let us know how CDI rig works for you. My P30 Pardus was unusable due to low ride height, but that was their first gen holster.

Spectre044
10-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Well I will just keep my eye on the FSOT subforum and hope that someone posts either a C&D, looper, or Shaggy up for a M&P9fs. Thanks for all the info.

JDM
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Well I will just keep my eye on the FSOT subforum and hope that someone posts either a C&D, looper, or Shaggy up for a M&P9fs. Thanks for all the info.

Post a WTB add. That's how I got my Shaggy.

Spectre044
10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Post a WTB add. That's how I got my Shaggy.

I would do that but I don't have permission to post a new thread in the FSOT subforum unfortunately

JDM
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
PM inbound

ADKilla
10-24-2011, 10:05 AM
I think holsters are personally subjective so there's probably going to be some trial and error.

From my experience this is absolutely true. I have yet to find a good holster that doesn't print on the butt of the pistol. I've tried moving the pistol around from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock without any luck. I am still waiting on my DGL #4 hardcore and my Garrity Invictus...hopefully one of those will be the one. In the meantime I reverted back to traditional 3:30 IWB carry in my Ritchie Stakeout.

iakdrago
10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but here it goes:

The biggest problem that you will find is that the gun handle will protrude past your side. Glock 19 handle is just long enough to not protrude, while glock 17 protrudes slightly. A better holster would drive the handle of the gun into your side more--this 25$ blade tech does not. With that being said it still conceals well and is quick on the draw, with good retention.

As far as a bulge sticking out past your belt line--well some of us have been dealing with that for years... All jokes aside though, when you look down at your belt line--it will appear that it protrudes a lot. However what you see and what other's see is not the same. When you look down, your focal point is going to be the giant gun on your belt--what others will see is the giant you (proportionally you are a lot bigger than the gun). If you are in shape, your pectorals will protrude relatively further than the gun as well--thus allowing the shirt to drape over the "bulge" of the gun. YMMV, different body types, guns, holsters and belts will all have an effect on the conceal ability of the gun. In my case, 6'4 ~190 pounds, 32" waist, i can conceal a glock 19 in a cheap 25$ blade tech while wearing a t shirt:

**all the pictures will be negatives due to be taken with the assistance of my mirror.
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i353/iakdrago/1.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i353/iakdrago/2.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i353/iakdrago/3.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i353/iakdrago/4.jpg

Dagga Boy
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Dude, get to a doctor ASAP, you got lumps all over you. Yuck.

iakdrago
10-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Nyeti: sry man the lumpyskin dissease is what it is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpyskin_disease) but as you see it has the perks of helping me conceal my gun better

Dagga Boy
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Nyeti: sry man the lumpyskin dissease is what it is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpyskin_disease) but as you see it has the perks of helping me conceal my gun better

That makes sense. My perfectly formed smooth round abdomen sometimes makes concealment a little painful:D.

teamacacia
01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Not to revive an old thread, but thanks for some of the info here. I'm a pretty skinny guy (5'9-10, 150#) and have been working to get my Keeper's AIWB holster to conceal "just right" and also be comfortable. I have been experimenting with the holster in different positions and with different pads to get the position just right. Is it a consensus that one might need to try out multiple holsters to find the one with the best fit?