PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Prefer the Glock 42 to the 43?

04-12-2016, 08:01 AM
I've owned both guns. After extended periods of shooting, I find that I can shoot the 42 better. My theory is that the narrower frame (front to back) helps my trigger finger placement. For me, there's just something about the 43 that prevents me from shooting exceptionally well with it. To quantify this, I can keep all my shots in the black on a B8 target at 25 yards with the 42, while my shots string to the left outside the circle on the 43.

The reduced recoil of the .380 makes it easier to control recoil and get accurate follow up shots off faster than the 9mm.

I will rarely carry either gun as a primary because of their capacity; so the smaller size favors the 42. I just can't carry a heavy gun on my ankle.

Has anyone else come to the same conclusion?

gqllc007
04-12-2016, 09:00 AM
I've owned both guns. After extended periods of shooting, I find that I can shoot the 42 better. My theory is that the narrower frame (front to back) helps my trigger finger placement. For me, there's just something about the 43 that prevents me from shooting exceptionally well with it. To quantify this, I can keep all my shots in the black on a B8 target at 25 yards with the 42, while my shots string to the left outside the circle on the 43.

The reduced recoil of the .380 makes it easier to control recoil and get accurate follow up shots off faster than the 9mm.

I will rarely carry either gun as a primary because of their capacity; so the smaller size favors the 42. I just can't carry a heavy gun on my ankle.

Has anyone else come to the same conclusion?

I have the opposite. I shoot the 43 better than the 42 however I would not bother worrying about 25 yards with these carry pistols. If you can engage the 3-5-7 yard targets and hit center of mass then you are good to go with these subcompacts for their intended purpose.

Little Creek
04-12-2016, 09:30 AM
I currently own both. The G42 shoots sweet. The G43 has a little more bark. I got the G43 because I did not want to stake my life on the .380 ACP cartridge. If I was shooting off to the left, I would and did drift the rear sight. IMHO 25 yard practice is not the purpose of these pistols. 10 yards and in is more like it. The instructors I have trained with recently, Hack and Tom Givens, indicate that the vast majority of non military/LEO shootings/gunfights occur between 3-5 yards. I personally focus on rapid presentation from concealment and multiple shots on 2 or more targets. I carry my G43 with a +1 for 8 rounds total and my extra magazine is a +2 for the emergency reload. I suggest you try the half test, 7 shots (normally ten shots) at 5 yards in 5 seconds on a B8 center with your G42 and G43. Out of 7 shots, 60 would be passing. Love my G43.

Totem Polar
04-12-2016, 11:08 AM
It might come across as heresy, but I bought both when they each came out... but I only own the 42 currently. I see the 42 as a BUG/DC gun, and it's just smaller, lighter, more NPE friendly and easier for me to shoot. If I only owned one Glock, maybe the 43 would get the nod, but since this is still America for now, I split around that gun by having both a G42 and a G26. OMMV.

Hizzie
04-12-2016, 11:43 AM
I didn't like either.

Josh Runkle
04-12-2016, 12:06 PM
I didn't like either.

That's me too.

Doc_Glock
04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I prefer the 42, having both. I will either carry the 42 or 19 depending on circumstances and haven't really found a niche for the 43.

The 42 is very easy to shoot and light enough I can wear without a belt if necessary.

GJM
04-12-2016, 02:52 PM
It is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, and 9 mm is more comforting to me than .380.

JHC
04-12-2016, 03:18 PM
It is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, and 9 mm is more comforting to me than .380.

Old and frail as I am the 43 was too much sauce for so little grip for me. I'd prefer to hit faster with the lower recoiling 42. I have not even considered a JHP for it either.

GJM
04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Old and frail as I am the 43 was too much sauce for so little grip for me. I'd prefer to hit faster with the lower recoiling 42. I have not even considered a JHP for it either.

Maybe KKM will make up a barrel with a comp for little 'ol you?

ssb
04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I sucked with both, but sucked less with the 42. Both guns tend to squirm around under recoil for me -- the grip is simply too short from front to back. I found the triggers to be pretty bad. Recoil on the 43 was definitely worse than comparable options, though not unmanageable. The 42 felt like a .32. Given that neither gun actually worked in a pocket for me, I'd rather have a Shield or PPS if carrying on the belt or a J Frame if in the pocket.

LtDave
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
I too have both. My G42 example is a very accurate gun, with little recoil. My G43 shoots ok, but is not nearly as accurate as the .380 and is tougher to shoot quickly. That being said, the 9mm is the one that gets carried because 9mm...

TAZ
04-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Hard to be comforting at home. I wanted a 42/43 for occasions when my full sized gun wouldn't do. The 42 offer far more concealment choices for me and my body (out of) shape than the 43. Found the I was going with knife only quite a bit once I go the 43 or simply went back to the 42.

BillSWPA
04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
I used to worry a lot more about minimum caliber than I do today. What has influenced me:

1) I am fortunate to have no personal experience with handgun stopping power, but from everything I have read, the single biggest factor is accuracy.

2) I volunteer to help teach the NRA Basic Pistol class at my shooting range a couple of times a year. I seem to end up working with a disproportionately large percentage of ladies who are either elderly and/or have hand conditions that hinder their ability to shoot. Some of these ladies show up with subcompact 9mm and even .40 pistols that their husband or boyfriend picked out for them. This experience, plus other experiences helping various small-statured and/or recoil-shy female shooters has caused me to realize that I was doing them a disservice to push a minimum caliber over something they could shoot comfortably and accurately.

3) My interactions with Claude Werner and what I have learned from him has further cemented my conclusions with respect to the above points.

Tiny .380 and 9mm pistols can be uncomfortable even for experienced shooters with strong hands. the last time I shot my North American Arms Guardian .380, I very quickly realized that I was not enjoying the experience, and it takes a lot for me not to enjoy shooting something (I am completely comfortable with .44 mag., .454 Casull, .50 AE.) If someone shoots the 42 better than the 43, go with the 42 with confidence.

On a related note, can anyone provide a comparison of their experiences with the Glock 43 verses the S&W Shield and/or Walther PPS regarding ease of shooting, concealability, etc.?

Buckshot
04-12-2016, 05:57 PM
The 42 is at the light end of 380 recoil, whereas the 43 is towards the stout end of 9mm recoil. Its that simple.

VolGrad
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm a small stature guy with small hands. I shoot both equally well ... well maybe the G42 a little better since it recoils like a .22lr.

I'll probably get kicked off the forum for admitting this but I'm not ashamed to admit I carry my G43 as a primary. Yup, I said it. For summer pocket carry I go with the G42.

I probably outed myself as not begin tactical enough to provide any meaningful advice on this board.

Drew78
04-12-2016, 08:54 PM
I too pimp a glock 43 for my edc. Carry it aiwb and it disappears. It certainly has a bark to it, but for my scmedium sized paws I'm able to shoot this little blaster very effectively. Tried a 42 once and it was a very soft shooting gun. They are so close in size, if I need to go to .380 I'm going micro. Like LCP micro.

Little Creek
04-12-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm a small stature guy with small hands. I shoot both equally well ... well maybe the G42 a little better since it recoils like a .22lr.

I'll probably get kicked off the forum for admitting this but I'm not ashamed to admit I carry my G43 as a primary. Yup, I said it. For summer pocket carry I go with the G42.

I probably outed myself as not begin tactical enough to provide any meaningful advice on this board.

My primary CCW is also the G43 with 1 spare mag. I remember when well armed folks, and I used to be one of them, carried a six shot revolver loaded with 38 spl. 110gr +P+ SJHP ammo and a speed loader. Seven rounds of top shelf 9mm JHP will beat 5 or 6 rounds of 38spl. +P+ every time.

dalejbrass
04-13-2016, 02:06 PM
I own, carry and love my G43 (after some trigger modification). I have no desire or need to carry a .380 in any brand.

Chuck Haggard
04-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Yes......

Chuck Haggard
04-13-2016, 02:08 PM

I spent most of last week with nothing but a 642 in my pocket, a four round speed strip for a reload, and a Spyderco.

I was not killed by ninjas.............

Nephrology
04-13-2016, 02:08 PM

I carry a Shield as a primary pretty often, but once it gets to light jacket weather I have no trouble going bigger.

Duelist
04-13-2016, 05:22 PM
I spent most of last week with nothing but a 642 in my pocket, a four round speed strip for a reload, and a Spyderco.

I was not killed by ninjas.............

I can't count the number of days that has described my load out. And when I fly out to help my daughter drive home from college, it'll probably be exactly the same.

Except I usually use five rounds in my speed strip.

Which Spyderco?