PDA

View Full Version : Unsupported vs off bags - POI

YVK
10-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Do I get an award or recognition of some kind for being the most prolific thread originator of last week?

Anybody heard this "POI changes when you shoot supported vs. unsupported"? Sounds like a nonsense to me. To be on the same page, "supported" means "forearms on the bag, gun isn't", and POI means true mechanical POI, not elimination of wobble of unsupported shooting.

jetfire
10-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I've seen point of impact shifts when I've transitioned from shooting standing freestyle to bracing the gun off sandbags. Now, I've only seen this kind of shift in guns where the barrel/slide lock-up wasn't exactly the best to begin with.

JHC
10-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I've read others write that LAV and other notables says it's a matter of fact. In 40 years of shooting handguns I've not seen this phenom manifest. The pic of my avatar was shot at 25 yds from a seated braced position. That pistol shoots to essentially a similiar point of impact offhand just much larger groups!

41magfan
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Much the same way a rifle tends to shift POI away from any hard surface contact with the barrel - some handguns will react the same way. If you rest the bottom of the gripe frame or the frame forward of the trigger guard against a hard surface, the same thing tends to occur.

If I'm shooting from a firm, active mechanical type rest, I like the only contact with the handgun to be a light touch on the bottom of the trigger guard with the bottom of my hands resting on the bottom portion of the rest. This obviously isn't quite as steady as a purely passive mechanical Ransom rest, it's more than suitable for zeroing and ammo testing. I zeroed a RDS on a .41 Magnum revolver yesterday with just 8 rds and was able to achieve 2 to 2.5" groups at 60 yds without any difficulty using this method.