PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 vs M590A1

Little Creek
04-11-2016, 02:24 PM
I just bought a Mossberg 500, synthetic stock 18.5" plain barrel w/ gold colored bead. I bought a Mossberg 500 because of the ambi safety as I am LH. I compared it side by side with my friends M590A1 yesterday. I knew about the metal trigger group housing and the magazine tube that can be cleaned out. I knew about the heavier barrel. I did not know about the huge difference in size between the barrel lug that goes over the magazine tube. I can see where the M590A1 is meant to go to war. Since I am going to use the 500 for HD, do I need to upgrade to the M590A1?

Mitch
04-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't lose sleep over having the 500.

Drang
04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
No.

The safety button has many options for an upgrade to larger, metal unit, and I believe the 590s trigger assembly can be installed too, if you're truly paranoid.

greyghost
04-11-2016, 03:11 PM
I would not lose any sleep about having a 500/590 vs a 590a1.

As Drang pointed out you can "upgrade" any of the parts if it makes you feel better. The "regular" 590 barrel has a larger lug that goes over the magazine tube as well.

Don't get wrapped up around it, shoot it...

Bigghoss
04-11-2016, 03:24 PM
The 500 is a perfectly fine gun for defense. I do prefer the 590/590a1 for their mag tube because I like to run both as short a barrel as possible and get as much capacity as I can. If you want you can get a 590 barrel and magtube and they will work on the 500 receiver, which I am in the process of doing, but it's not because the 500 parts aren't up to the task. I just really wanted an 18.5" barrel with a 7-shot magazine tube on my Mossberg.

ACP230
04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I had a short 500 and sold it to get a 590.
Not because I disliked the 500 but because the ghost ring sights on the
590 worked better for things I wanted to do with a "riot gun."
Mainly shoot bowling pins, but I have hunted deer with the 590 as well.

Got a screaming deal on the 590 or I'd probably still have the 500.

Chuck Haggard
04-11-2016, 05:36 PM
It's really, really tough to break the plastic trigger guards on the 500s. If they broke a lot then my troops would have managed to make it happen at my old job.

pablo
04-11-2016, 05:43 PM
A metal safety lever would be a good upgrade.

When the magazine spring gets soft, an upgraded spring and follower wouldn't hurt.

The metal trigger guard isn't necessary and plastic won't corrode and doesn't need any lubrication.

The nose forward balance on the heavy barrel something that I don't like on the 590a1 compared to the 500.

luckyman
04-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Piling on here as a shotgun newbee, hopefully OP doesn't mind...

I'm strongly considering buying a Mossberg and upgrading to a Magpul stock and aimpoint pro. I'm in California so no shorties.

My only experience is an ITTS shotgun class. I liked a ghost ring better than a bead during that class. However with my sorry eyes I've already switched to Trijicon RMRs on my glocks, thus the thought of an RDS on the shotty.

Can you do co-witnessing with an Aimpoint Pro on a Mossberg the way you can with an RMR on a pistol? Given my above plans, would that impact whether to go with a 500, 590, or 590A1?

I hear the general feedback that 500s are fine and I get that I am probably splitting hairs here, but which would you personally go with if you were buying a new one for primarily home self defense and training classes?
(Thanks Pablo for your input already on handling characteristics)

Bigghoss
04-12-2016, 02:01 AM
Piling on here as a shotgun newbee, hopefully OP doesn't mind...

I'm strongly considering buying a Mossberg and upgrading to a Magpul stock and aimpoint pro. I'm in California so no shorties.

My only experience is an ITTS shotgun class. I liked a ghost ring better than a bead during that class. However with my sorry eyes I've already switched to Trijicon RMRs on my glocks, thus the thought of an RDS on the shotty.

Can you do co-witnessing with an Aimpoint Pro on a Mossberg the way you can with an RMR on a pistol? Given my above plans, would that impact whether to go with a 500, 590, or 590A1?

I hear the general feedback that 500s are fine and I get that I am probably splitting hairs here, but which would you personally go with if you were buying a new one for primarily home self defense and training classes?
(Thanks Pablo for your input already on handling characteristics)

Primarily for defense the 590 or 590a1 is the way to go. But there are 500's with ghost rings now. I just wish they made and 18.5" 590/590a1 with ghost rings and a pic rail for an RDS.

Chuck Haggard
04-12-2016, 05:55 AM
When I can scrape up the cash I'm hoping to try one of these out;
http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_ghost_ring_sight_in_a_rail.htm

I don't know of a system that allows the irons to co-witness through the optic though.

greyghost
04-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Chuck, that AIMPRO Tactical Ghost Ring Rail looks like it would be a great option and since it's compatible with the factory front makes it even more appealing. I'm not sure if the XS Sight Rail is compatible or not.

Please keep us updated if you do get one.

Little Creek
04-12-2016, 09:11 AM
No.

The safety button has many options for an upgrade to larger, metal unit, and I believe the 590s trigger assembly can be installed too, if you're truly paranoid.

If I am armed, then what do I have to be paranoid about. (If you want to insult someone, tell them they are paranoid.) I will upgrade the safety button. I will leave the trigger assembly alone. For $308 out the door for a new 500 with just minor surface rust, I will keep it. It also came with the pistol grip, which I will never use. That M590A1 just looks like it would be very difficult to tear up. I do like that dull finish. If I was going to spend a bunch of money on upgrades, I would just sell this one and get a M590A1.

greyghost
04-12-2016, 09:20 AM
luckyman, I was going to recommend looking at the Mossberg #50669. Its a 590 with all the Magpul furniture and was pretty well priced.

Mossberg doesn't have that item listed in the 2016 catalog. There may be some available locally and it might be good to check around for one as it would fit your most of your needs out of the box and you could install something like Chuck mentioned above later to add an RDS.

Since you trained with ITTS Scotty might be able to point you in a direction to find one.

luckyman
04-12-2016, 11:49 AM
luckyman, I was going to recommend looking at the Mossberg #50669. Its a 590 with all the Magpul furniture and was pretty well priced.

Mossberg doesn't have that item listed in the 2016 catalog. There may be some available locally and it might be good to check around for one as it would fit your most of your needs out of the box and you could install something like Chuck mentioned above later to add an RDS.

Since you trained with ITTS Scotty might be able to point you in a direction to find one.

Yeah I know. That really ticked me off. None of my local gun shops have that old model in stock either, and CA ffl fees are ridiculous for getting a firearm shipped in from somewhere else.

Edwin
04-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I thought all the Mossberg receivers were drilled and tapped from factory. You should be able to buy whatever rail/sights you want for the model you end up buying.

Little Creek
05-26-2016, 06:03 AM
I recently obtained and installed Magpul furniture in FDE on my Mossberg 500. I reduced the LOP from 14" to 12.5" (by taking out spacers). The pistol grip portion of the stock fits me a lot better. I like the way this gun handles much better now. The Magpul furniture is well worth the money to me for this application. So, this is my new go to when things go bump in the night. I plan to have it handy (off cock, off safe, empty chamber, with 5 rounds of reduced recoil 8 pellet 00 buck in the tube). It is worth noting that everyone in the household is old enough to vote.

Chuck Haggard
05-26-2016, 07:42 AM
Two things I like to do to the Mossbergs is to install the Vang safety, and the Vang magazine follower with either one of their springs or a Wolff spring.

The larger Vang safety is easier to hit in a hurry, I've never had an issue with the stock part but it makes me feel better. The Mossberg magazine springs are something I have had issues with. If the gun lives at home you should be fine, but being out in cops cars in KS they see changes in temps and humidity, and they rust, badly. The replacement parts fix the issues I've seen with the factory springs.

Beat Trash
05-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Yeah I know. That really ticked me off. None of my local gun shops have that old model in stock either, and CA ffl fees are ridiculous for getting a firearm shipped in from somewhere else.

I have grown really fond of the MagPul furniture. If you can't find the MapPul equipped 590 in your area, I'd suggest buying a plain 590 and then buy the MagPul furniture separately and install it yourself. It's extremely simple to do so. Sell off the OEM stock and fore end on line to recoup some of your costs.

That Guy
05-28-2016, 06:27 AM
Two things I like to do to the Mossbergs is to install the Vang safety, and the Vang magazine follower with either one of their springs or a Wolff spring.

Any words of wisdom on getting the stock safety off the gun?

Chuck Haggard
05-28-2016, 09:14 AM

I assume you have one of the retarded "one way" slot screws holding yours on? Good sharp flat tip that fits the slot, pressing hard into the screw slot as you slowly get purchase and back it out.

There are parts inside the gun that can drop into the action, if you don't know how to disassemble the gun fully, aka detail strip, I'd find someone that does.

coldcase1984
05-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Is the tang safety a problem manipulate when using the Magpul stock?

I bought a 18.5-in. 500 ATP for $119 in '78 while in AF in California, then sold it cheap to my Dad for beer money while I was in college in the early '80s.

It came back to me when Dad passed and I'm refurbing it for the troubled 21st century.

Tabasco
05-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Is the tang safety a problem manipulate when using the Magpul stock?

I bought a 18.5-in. 500 ATP for $119 in '78 while in AF in California, then sold it cheap to my Dad for beer money while I was in college in the early '80s.

It came back to me when Dad passed and I'm refurbing it for the troubled 21st century.

Nope. One of the benefits of the Magpul stock setup on Mossberg is safety manipulation does not change, unlike a "pistol grip" stock.

warpedcamshaft
05-28-2016, 11:46 AM

I use a small punch and gunsmith hammer and tap at a 45 degree angle. Vang comp safety comes with a proper Allen head screw to replace the stock one.