PDA

View Full Version : Wolves kill and waste 19 elk in Wyoming

LittleLebowski
04-11-2016, 06:40 AM
This is not unheard of behavior from wolves. When they were being reintroduced, the wolves killed some beef calves for fun and left them to rot, more than once.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nation-and-world/wolves-kill-and-waste-19-elk-wyoming

CHEYENNE, Wyoming — State wildlife officials said they’ve never seen anything like it: A pack of wolves killed 19 elk at a western Wyoming feeding ground and didn’t even bother to eat.

They pointed to the kill as an example of the need to let the state rather than the federal government manage wolves.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department can do little to prevent such kills as long as wolves remain federally protected and not under state control, Game and Fish Regional Director John Lund said Friday.

LittleLebowski
04-11-2016, 06:52 AM
By the way, elk meat is phenomenally good. Not "turn it into jerky good" but "anyone here would enjoy a steak right off of the animal good."

ffhounddog
04-11-2016, 06:57 AM
That is nuts. It looks like learned behavoir from humans or dogs. I have seen Wild Dogs/yotes kill and leave meat but never Wolves. Do they know who released the Wolves how they behaved in captivity? My dogs would not eat all their food until I put them on a schedule they use to free feed and it took a few weeks to break them of having a dish out all the time with food. Now they eat all their food.

Matt O
04-11-2016, 07:45 AM
By the way, elk meat is phenomenally good. Not "turn it into jerky good" but "anyone here would enjoy a steak right off of the animal good."

They reintroduced elk to VA several years ago I believe, so fingers crossed for future hunting opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pablo
04-11-2016, 08:11 AM
In Wyoming where there are persistent elk overpopulation and chronic wasting disease problems. Clearly the wolves killing elk is the problem there. Sounds like a pretty weak herd if the wolves can cull 19 out of it.

People bitch that there are too many wolves, people bitch that there are too many elk on livestock grazing land, people bitch about the transfer of brucellosis from elk to cattle, people about wolves killing too many elk..........

dsa
04-11-2016, 08:14 AM
I am in Idaho and we have the same problem here. The theory from some guys at work (who hunt much more than I do) is that it is because the species of wolves that was reintroduced to the area is the Canadian Gray Wolf, not the native Timber Wolf. Evolution has breed the Gray Wolves to thin the migrating Caribou herds with these "spree" killings. This behavior is decimating the Elk herds across the west where the Gray Wolf was reintroduced. Gray Wolves are supposed to be a little larger too. I haven't seen one yet only tracks and scat so far, heard them several times....hope to have the hide of one hanging on the wall someday.

taadski
04-11-2016, 09:55 AM

I gotta say, I'm a pretty big fan of elk jerky. ;)

LittleLebowski
04-11-2016, 11:20 AM
In Wyoming where there are persistent elk overpopulation and chronic wasting disease problems. Clearly the wolves killing elk is the problem there. Sounds like a pretty weak herd if the wolves can cull 19 out of it.

People bitch that there are too many wolves, people bitch that there are too many elk on livestock grazing land, people bitch about the transfer of brucellosis from elk to cattle, people about wolves killing too many elk..........

As a member of an active Wyoming cattle ranching family, I can assure you that wolves are more worried by ranchers about than brucellosis. With regards to elk overpopulation, nobody ever bitched about that because of the meat and the hunting revenue.

Peally
04-11-2016, 11:23 AM
It's always interesting sitting back and seeing how people can fuck up the environmental balance of an area back and forth, always trying to "fix" things.

Duelist
04-11-2016, 11:27 AM

And steaks, roasts, burger ... Pretty much anything elk.

JDB
04-11-2016, 12:31 PM
That is nuts. It looks like learned behavoir from humans or dogs. I have seen Wild Dogs/yotes kill and leave meat but never Wolves. Do they know who released the Wolves how they behaved in captivity? My dogs would not eat all their food until I put them on a schedule they use to free feed and it took a few weeks to break them of having a dish out all the time with food. Now they eat all their food.

I doubt it. That behavior has been documented in some pretty remote places in Alaska. On a related note, check out "Alaska's Wolf Man" for some fascinating reading about the exploits of an old market hunter and wolf control agent in AK from the 1920s to 60's I think. There are some astoundingly stories in there, real throwback mountain man stuff.

LittleLebowski
04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
I doubt it. That behavior has been documented in some pretty remote places in Alaska. On a related note, check out "Alaska's Wolf Man" for some fascinating reading about the exploits of an old market hunter and wolf control agent in AK from the 1920s to 60's I think. There are some astoundingly stories in there, real throwback mountain man stuff.

I'm between iPads but purchased for my new iPad. Much cheaper on Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0HYQSK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00K0HYQSK&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=I2RYGGXJ2HPHSZWU) :D I love reading about dudes like this.

Coyotesfan97
04-11-2016, 02:24 PM
I just have to worry about the coyotes going after my Dachshunds. Glad I don't have to worry about wolves and my cattle.

I bought the book. It only has six reviews. I'm think it's going to spike in sales for a bit.

ffhounddog
04-11-2016, 03:19 PM

Thanks. I will read up on this. It is just fascinating because I had never heard about it.

ffhounddog
04-11-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm between iPads but purchased for my new iPad. Much cheaper on Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0HYQSK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00K0HYQSK&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20&linkId=I2RYGGXJ2HPHSZWU) :D I love reading about dudes like this.

Just bought it thanks for hotlink!

11B10
04-11-2016, 05:43 PM

My brother-in-law gave me some elk jerky two days ago - THE best jerky I ever ate.

Trooper224
04-12-2016, 12:14 AM
A shipmate from my Navy days was from Montana. Every so often his dad would send him a box of Elk jerky. I'd almost be willing to re-up for some of that stuff.