PDA

View Full Version : Random old things passed down to me today

Luke
04-10-2016, 09:45 PM
My wife's grandfather passed away a few years ago. He was a really cool guy. He was your typical stern, set in his ways old man. Me and him really got along well. His wife used to always tell me I was the only one he ever talked too like that.

When he passed he left a couple guns to the grandkids (none of which have been shot or shown any love :( ) and he gave me an old pair of binoculars he used for hunting. My wife's grandmother had been telling me for a few weeks that she had some stuff she wanted me to look at.

She showed me two of her favorite guns he left. A H&R 929 .22 that was MINT! I don't think they looked this good new. She also showed me a Winchester pump .22 that was gorgeous aswell. She said the revolver was bought in Cuba in the 40's or 50's but couldn't remember. No pics of the gun :( forgot to take some.

She told me there was a red box in the basement she wanted to to go look through and see what was in it. Lots of empty shells, he liked to reload and plink. Seemed to favor the oddball stuff. There was some surplus 30.06, some bullets, and some ammo boxes. I'm pretty sure I was the first one in that box in a LONG time. He made the box and labeled it "ammo locker" in black marker. He used old cigar boxes inside the bigger wooden box to separate everything.

She told me to take a few things that I'd like to have. I was only going to take 1 thing, but after thinking about it I took 3. She doesn't have a whole lot longer on this earth and I know it will most Likely get misplaced or thrown away after she passes.

He was a good man, it was very cool to be going threw some of his stuff that at one point he spent a lot of time with.
I'm not sure what the silver thing is, looks to have two separate chambers and one side might have some sort of grease?

I took the silver thing, box of hornady bullets, and the dies.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/8D43F198-8BEB-494A-AAB7-FA2F382F80E2_zpsf2hdxyqt.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/8D43F198-8BEB-494A-AAB7-FA2F382F80E2_zpsf2hdxyqt.jpg.html)

SeriousStudent
04-10-2016, 09:49 PM
The silver doodad is a Combloc cleaner/oil container.

My thanks to you for being a good grandson.

LSP552
04-10-2016, 09:56 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing.