PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to recalibrate your powder thrower when coming back to load after a week?

-ad-
04-10-2016, 04:07 AM
Hi,

I was wondering how often people find that they need to tweak / adjust their powder throwers between loads (if at all), and if so - is there any contributing factors (such as weather / different temperature) that might cause the powder thrower to change?

(I'm talking same measurement, same powder, same toolhead, same powder thrower).

I ask, because I have a Dillon 650. I've found that between loads (which could be a few weeks break apart) it seems to adjust by 1/10th of a grain. I've been reluctant to actually tweak or adjust it, as I figure that it's probably throwing within 1/10th accuracy between loads anyway and that by tweaking it I may actually throw out the consistency between loads even more. (I guess at present I'm trusting the machine more than myself :) )

I guess this also means that it would be better for me to keep my weekly loads separate for more accurate groupings, but again I'm not sure - so thought I'd put it out there?

So - if you're loading the same loads but weeks apart - do you find you need to adjust your powder throwers, or do you find them to be pretty consistent, or what are your preferences?

Edit: These are for pistol loads.

SecondsCount
04-10-2016, 06:01 AM
I set it and forget it. Probably not the best policy but I have been loading pistol on a Dillon for over 20 years and have not had an issue. Early on I would check it but 1/10 isn't enough to make a difference as variation in brass, bullets, even the weather conditions that I am shooting in, will affect the performance just as much.

That being said, althought I am not striving for match grade, my ammo is typically more accurate than factory.

dbateman
04-10-2016, 07:15 AM
I don't mess with my Dillon powder throwers unless I am changing charge weight. I do check the charge weight from time to time, to make sure they are still set correctly.
I spent a fair bit of time polishing mine ect, I don't tend to worry about a 1/10gr variation.

Do you empty or clean your hopper after loading ?

Jared
04-10-2016, 07:26 AM
1/10 of a grain is the advertised margin of error for the accuracy of most powder scales anyway (namely the digital ones). Usually they'll say something like "accurate to 1/10 grain" in their specs. So, if your scale says the weight on it is 4.4 grains, it could be 4.3, 4.4, or 4.5

All that said, I always check it before the start of every loading session, and spot check it throughout the loading session. I've also got check weights for my scale, so I can make sure it's not out of whack. So before I start a loading session, I calibrate my scale, check it with the weights, then weigh a powder charge. As the loading goes on, I spot check every hundred rounds or so (I've found that when I refill the primer tube is a good time to check).

Now, I know that all of this probably sounds a little OCD. It has been part of a good QC program for me through the years though

Hauptmann
04-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Temperature changes can expand and contract the metal in the powder bar resulting in more or less powder volume. So be aware of that. Try to operate your equipment at a relatively consistent temperature. Anything else that can effect powder volume would be a result of the powder itself. If the powder doesn't flow reliably, then it could be the powder's shape(flake/spherical/tubular), the humidity, or static electricity. Those can effect how well the powder flows from the hopper.

My Dillon 550b is setup in a large garage closet with a dehumidifier. In the winter I use a space heater to keep the equipment at a room temperature for reloading. When it is crazy hot in the summer I just don't reload. No point in sweating on the equipment if I have loaded up a bunch to hold me over for the hot season.

LittleLebowski
04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I don't mess with my Dillon powder throwers unless I am changing charge weight. I do check the charge weight from time to time, to make sure they are still set correctly.
I spent a fair bit of time polishing mine ect, I don't tend to worry about a 1/10gr variation.

Where did you polish them?

CCT125US
04-10-2016, 08:39 AM
I too have a D650. I find that after some idle time, it can vary. That idle time may be 6 months or a week. I do not adjust the dial, but I will throw 3 charges and dump them back in the powder funnel. I currently load 4.7 gr of Unique and get repeatable throws each time. It can also be dependent on powder type. Unique is bulky, and flaky and "can" meter inconsistently. Win231 is dense, round and tends to flow beter in my opinion from some measures. The speed of cycling and smoothness can also affect the throw. If the case sticks on the tool head down stroke in the deprime / size station, or the powder drop tube drags, it can slightly settle the next charge. Not much, not unsafe, but that all contributes to variations. Also understand that when you make an adjustment, you have to throw several charges to get the true weight. When you try to decrease the charge (counter clockwise) you are actually compressing the existing charge, and that must be cleared out. The Dillon system measures by volume and not actual weight, anything that changes that volume translates to variations.

Hambo
04-10-2016, 08:41 AM
I've found the Dillon measures to stay true over time. I have enough measures to leave them in toolheads, and I label then with powder/charge. When I get back to loading that particular caliber I check a few charges just to make sure nothing changed, then I drive on.

-ad-
04-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Do you empty or clean your hopper after loading ?

I do empty the hopper after loading, but when I go to reload next I end up putting through a few charges and empty them back into the hopper first to ensure the hopper is full again. Is this what you where thinking of - and is this bad practice? (Should I leave my powder in there)?

TiroFijo
04-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Every time I load on my Dillon 550, or any other press, I check the powder weight. It only takes a minute, and I'm sure nothing has been altered.

Mitch
04-11-2016, 12:09 AM
I empty the powder measure after every loading session, and check it before I start a new run. I won't ever stop checking it before I start loading, but I can't remember the last time I've had to adjust anything (assuming I haven't changed powders or anything else).

Slavex
04-11-2016, 04:41 AM
I check the first two cases and usually they are over a bit, so I just throw the powder back in the measure. After that it settles down to the previous weight. I assume it's because the powder compresses a bit in the very bottom of the measure, after the first couple of throws it's back to what comes through the baffle and is back to it's regular density.

LSP972
04-11-2016, 09:24 AM
I never do; in fact, I keep the powder measure full at all times, and cover it with an old empty heavy cloth bank coin bag when not in use, to keep away the evil UV rays.

This is why I settled on one powder for everything (Euro Pellet, .40, .45), with the exception of small batches of .38s at irregular intervals. Now that my .38 usage is about to go up quite a bit, I'm in a quandary… hence my thread on the topic, exploration still in progress.

But assuming one's measure is reliable, once you have determined that by frequent checking, I just plow ahead and keep it full… until I need to change powder.

Of course, you should not blindly trust it. I peek into each case as it reaches Station Three (bullet seating), and if the powder level doesn't look right, I'll pull that case and check it. The Dillon makes that a quick and easy task.

dbateman
04-13-2016, 12:33 AM
I do empty the hopper after loading, but when I go to reload next I end up putting through a few charges and empty them back into the hopper first to ensure the hopper is full again. Is this what you where thinking of - and is this bad practice? (Should I leave my powder in there)?

That's pretty much what I do, I don't like to leave powder in the hopper for extended periods of time. I might leave it in full of powder for a few days if I'm loading on and off over that time. But I woulnnt want to leave powder in it for a month or so, it probably won't hurt anything to leave the powder in. It's just a hang up I have from living in the tropics.

dbateman
04-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Where did you polish them?

What I did/do with them is.

I remove the two screws that hold the plastic hoper onto the alloy base.
Then I deburr the "funnel" where the powder feeds into the powder bar. I usually use a file just to break the edges, I've used some fine emery cloth in the housing as well just to smooth it out.

I then take a polishing ball like the ones used to polish wheels ect. I put it in my cordless drill get a bit of polishing media and polish the housing where the powder feeds down into the powder bar.
I also deburr the powder bar and polish the powder bar, where the powder feeds in and out.

Some of my powder drop funnel also have had a polish or change of profile.

I have heard of people coating the alloy casting to improve metering but I have never had a need to do it myself.

Another thing that I have done is earth my presses, it stops static (powder clinging to the clear plastic tube of the hopper)

The main reason I started messing with my powder measure is because I was trying to meter Varget in my 308 practice loads.
Most of what I have done to my presses are things other people have done, there was a good write up with pics ect floating around the net. I'll try and find it on the weekend.

(I hope this made some sense, I'm at work posting off my phone... I'm not good at the phone bit.)

Slavex
04-13-2016, 03:17 AM
loaded 2500 rounds this afternoon, it's been 4 days since I last loaded on the press and the load was 3.6grs of Tightgroup, the first 2 rounds off the press were 4.0 and 3.9grs each. The 3rd round was 3.6gr and random samplings after that were also 3.6.

JAD
04-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Any time I sit back down to the machine I throw ten charges (it takes everything I've got not to throw 32). It's a little tedious but it's a good manufacturing practice. Powder is hygroscopic, clumping and FOD can sneak up on you, etc.

JM Campbell
04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Any time I sit back down to the machine I throw ten charges (it takes everything I've got not to throw 32). It's a little tedious but it's a good manufacturing practice. Powder is hygroscopic, clumping and FOD can sneak up on you, etc.
Exactly what I do the start of every loading session. Also it has become a double check time of the press for other issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Slavex
04-14-2016, 06:10 AM

I had a measure full of powder soak up moisture to the point of the water being noticeable when handling the powder (detailed in a previous thread). Still not 100% sure what caused the weird weather pattern in my basement while I was gone that resulted in this, but I now check my powder measure every time I sit down at the press

Sal Picante
04-14-2016, 07:50 AM
I check the that the retaining bolts are tight, check that the dies are tight, check that the toolhead is tight.

I don't empty my powder measure, but I do throw a few before starting up, then throw 4 good ones and divide the total weight by 4 in order to get that last decimal place.

If I've loaded that day already, I just check my dies/bolts and keep on trucking...

LSP972
04-14-2016, 09:23 AM
I had a measure full of powder soak up moisture to the point of the water being noticeable when handling the powder (detailed in a previous thread). Still not 100% sure what caused the weird weather pattern in my basement while I was gone that resulted in this, but I now check my powder measure every time I sit down at the press

I learned that, the hard way, when I first began loading with an RCBS Jr, single stage press and their powder measure. Ambient moisture is a real bad thing for your powder, even if you keep the hopper lid in place.

Which is why, ever since I've had my own crib after getting out of the army, my reloading gear has stayed in the climate-controlled living space.

Slavex
04-15-2016, 03:16 AM
my basement is climate controlled but something weird happened when I was out of country. No idea what, but the crack in my powder measure allowed moisture to suck up into the powder. Now when I go away I empty it.

John Hearne
04-15-2016, 08:36 AM
I don't keep powder in the press except when I'm reloading, that way the powder is not exposed to environmental vagaries. Because the cost is so low and the consequences so high, before I start to load, I'll do 10 throws, weigh it and divide by 10 to make sure it's where it needs to be. I've never had anything resembling a major (or even minor) shift but I like the peace of mind.

1slow
04-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I always individually throw and weigh 3 + charges in the beginning of a loading session. Dillon 550, 650,1050.

Desertrat
05-14-2016, 07:59 PM
The correct answer is "sometimes".....depends on powder type, humidity, heat....etc. That has been my experience after reloading
for almost 50 years.