PDA

View Full Version : Old timer sayings

voodoo_man
04-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Heard one today I didnt hear before...some might be words of wisdom, some might be exaggerated bull, we've all heard em.

"If my car cant fit, I wasnt meant to go there."

"A good cop is never hungry, wet or tired."

Malamute
04-09-2016, 02:06 PM
It used to be funny when older guys would say things like "If I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself".

Its not that funny now. :)

serialsolver
04-09-2016, 03:29 PM
When you jump a fence into a back yard look at the size of the dog shit. If it's big get out of the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pablo
04-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Don't check anyone on the radio that your not committed to taking to jail.
How many calls did we answer last year? All of them. Don't jeopardize your safety for response times.

JustOneGun
04-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Don't check anyone on the radio that your not committed to taking to jail.
How many calls did we answer last year? All of them. Don't jeopardize your safety for response times.

I had a coworker that would always tell the recruits and AOT officers, your radio designator is not "Any unit to clear". One call at a time done safely.

LSP972
04-09-2016, 10:21 PM
The best advice given to me when I was a rookie, from an old lieutenant:

"Three things to remember about the State Police, son:

1. Nothing ever stays the same
2. The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass every day
3. Nobody ever got in trouble for doing nothing; everybody who ever got in trouble did SOMETHING."

Too bad I wasn't smart enough to live by those words…

pablo
04-09-2016, 11:32 PM
3. Nobody ever got in trouble for doing nothing; everybody who ever got in trouble did SOMETHING."

"You're not a real cop until you get days off for doing the right thing."

"If you can avoid abusing the bottle, crazy women, and manage your budget, it's pretty hard to get fired around here"

"Badge bunnies are these cute little things that hop across your path and then hop off with your badge"

FNFAN
04-10-2016, 07:59 AM
"Don't make us famous."

"Next time I shut down an intersection for your chase, please try to keep all four wheels on the ground as you go by, or at least don't wave at me."

serialsolver
04-10-2016, 08:07 AM
"We have, long hours, low pay and no chance for advancement."

LSP552
04-10-2016, 09:42 AM
From an old Troop Sgt. on a rainy day; "I don't a rain coat, I have a rookie trooper" (referring to me).

From an old Narcotics Sgt, to new Narc (me)

The 3 things that will get you fired are:

1. Screwing female snitches
2. Playing with investigative expense funds
3. Too much booze

From an old Capt. to a newly promoted Capt. (me again)

There are 4 things you will spend 80% of your time doing:

1. Attending meetings that accomplish nothing
2. Moderating disputes within your command
3. Dealing with personnel complaints and problems
4. Dealing with stupid directives from HQ

TxShooter
04-10-2016, 05:42 PM
My first day of field training: "If you have to hit someone with your flashlight, turn it off first. A lightsaber doesn't look good on video. But if you have to throw it turn it on so you can find it."

Lon
04-10-2016, 05:52 PM
"That badge will get you some pu*** and that pu*** will take your badge."

Most of the cops I know that get in trouble should have paid attention to that.

voodoo_man
04-10-2016, 05:55 PM

"If you meet a big breasted woman while you are working, know it won't be real, she just wants the badge."

Old timer was a breast man.

KeeFus
04-10-2016, 06:22 PM

^^^THIS!!!

I was told there were "three B's that would get your badge: Bitches, Bills, and Booze."

That seems to be solid advise as I have seen countless officers lose their job over all of them.

Jason M
04-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Senior guy going to traffic court when off shift "It's more about the income than the outcome."

serialsolver
04-11-2016, 11:36 AM
After putting his thumbs in his ears with his hands up like antlers, wiggling his fingers and sticking out his tongue out, then made a "plllluuuuuuttttttthhhhh" sound to a news crew. My training officer then turned to me and said "kid you got to have a little fun in this job or it will kill you."

CADFather
04-11-2016, 01:41 PM
From my Grandfather to me, "Son, there's old cops and there's bold cops, but there ain't no old, bold cops."

CAD

Dagga Boy
04-11-2016, 01:54 PM
I went to my agency for the Chief. A chance to work for a real life John Wayne. Owned a gun shop, Colt collector, and a man who really believed in doing the right thing. He came into a conference room to address me and my fellow rookies before we hit the streets. He gave a very simple "speech" on how to avoid having any issues with him....and actually meant it.

"You will treat crooks like crooks, and Citizens like citizens". This translated to you were allowed to do whatever was neccesary in arresting bad guys, and God forbid you ever treated a citizen poorly and without respect and courtesy. It is a shame we cannot be this simple now, as it worked well. Unfortunately, it is many of those "citizens" who want the crooks treated like them.

Second phase FTO....."Son, as far as the city is concerned, all you are is a hanger for that uniform, and nobody really cares about you"....as much as I didn't want to believe it, boy was he right.

jondoe297
04-11-2016, 02:03 PM
"There's only two times you can have too much ammo. If you're trying to swim across a river, or you're on fire"

Gadfly
04-11-2016, 03:16 PM
My old academy instructor...

"conduct yourself in a manner that you wont end up as a training video"

My edit,

"Conduct yourself in a manner that your name wont end up a legal term"
As in : We arrested those guys, and Johnny forgot to "Miranda" (persons name) them. Since he said he did, he may get "Giglio'ed" (persons name)... but it could be worse, he could have gotten "(insert your name here)".....

Don't end up as a legal decision.

voodoo_man
04-11-2016, 05:55 PM
My old academy instructor...

"conduct yourself in a manner that you wont end up as a training video"

My edit,

"Conduct yourself in a manner that your name wont end up a legal term"
As in : We arrested those guys, and Johnny forgot to "Miranda" (persons name) them. Since he said he did, he may get "Giglio'ed" (persons name)... but it could be worse, he could have gotten "(insert your name here)".....

Don't end up as a legal decision.

One of my narc partners and I made case-law, but it wasn't for anything street related it had to do with an appeal process.

Gadfly
04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
I have a co worker who made case law.... Apparently, when seeking consent to search a house, having an M4 slung across your chest is "coercion" according to the 5th circuit.

The judge seemed to think going up to the door of a stash house at 0300 means you should be in a coat and tie, no gun visible, because body armor and guns are scary to crooks.

LtDave
04-11-2016, 09:41 PM
There are three things that get agents in trouble. Booze, broads and bureau cars.

PD Sgt.
04-12-2016, 05:40 AM
If they refer to a flashlight as a "Kel" or "Kel light" they are probably an old timer. "Radio car" was one I used to hear from time to time when I first came on. until I became an old timer to many.

pablo
04-12-2016, 12:21 PM
The sexiness of a dispatcher's voice is inversely proportional to her weight. This was really important before facebook and new guys would get suckered into taking the dispatchers out for breakfast sight unseen.

pablo
04-12-2016, 12:25 PM
If they refer to a flashlight as a "Kel" or "Kel light" they are probably an old timer. "Radio car" was one I used to hear from time to time when I first came on. until I became an old timer to many.

Back in the good old days when you got to be big man on the block the beating the crap out of a suspect with a "brick", the 4 pound Motorola handheld radio that was the size of a brick.

voodoo_man
04-12-2016, 02:32 PM

...we only use radio car....

Hambo
04-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Back in the good old days when you got to be big man on the block the beating the crap out of a suspect with a "brick", the 4 pound Motorola handheld radio that was the size of a brick.

They weren't that great as a communications device so you had to use them for something.

LtDave
04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I loved my old MX-330. That thing never failed me. Our cars were "units".

BN
04-12-2016, 03:40 PM
I remember when I first started, (early 1980's) the Chief told me we weren't allowed to shoot at fleeing speeders any more. ;)

Dagga Boy
04-14-2016, 06:31 PM
The sexiness of a dispatcher's voice is inversely proportional to her weight. This was really important before facebook and new guys would get suckered into taking the dispatchers out for breakfast sight unseen.

That is not always true.....it can also rate high on the hot/crazy matrix.

Funny on the three B's (later the big four with the addition of brutality). For decades FTO's have preached about booze, broads, and bills.....yet.....it is like a disease that has no cure.

SLG
04-14-2016, 07:37 PM
I'll play, but none of mine are flattering, unfortunately. Price I pay for starting where I did (which I wouldn't change).

"If it's free I'll take three."

"If it's free it's for me."

"A good cop is never cold, tired, wet or hungry." That one had different meanings over the years.

"If it's not bolted down, it's mine, and if I can pry it up, it's not bolted down."

HCM
04-14-2016, 09:03 PM
There are three things that get agents in trouble. Booze, broads and bureau cars.

The GOV has no sense of humor with Government vehicles.

HCM
04-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I have a co worker who made case law.... Apparently, when seeking consent to search a house, having an M4 slung across your chest is "coercion" according to the 5th circuit.

The judge seemed to think going up to the door of a stash house at 0300 means you should be in a coat and tie, no gun visible, because body armor and guns are scary to crooks.

I might have been 5th circuit case law, but there is case law going back to the 1920's or 1930's that LE going to the door with shotguns in hand is coercive and invalidates consent. I'll dig up the case for you.

KeeFus
04-15-2016, 05:35 AM
I'll play, but none of mine are flattering, unfortunately. Price I pay for starting where I did (which I wouldn't change).

"If it's free I'll take three."

"If it's free it's for me."

One of my college professors, who claimed to have been NYPD during the Knapp Commission hearings, gave us a phrase that has stuck with me through the years: "How much are you willing to pay for a free cup of coffee?"

His reasoning for this phrase was that the free cup of coffee is how some officers got led into other free stuff. Then when you saw the gifter doing something illegal you wouldn't stop/arrest them.

I like free or discounted coffee but I am always prepared to pay full price.

Lon
04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
I like free or discounted coffee but I am always prepared to pay full price.

I always take something to the register that I know I'll pay for (gum, peanuts, something) along with my coffee. Then I pay whatever they tell me to. I usually bring my own to work now. Love K cups

Dagga Boy
04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
My rule on free was simple. If it is "free", it means I owe you. I didn't go to free places. Cop discount....appreciation, and I went to those places. The discount restaurants worked well. I would leave the actual price. Most were half price. This way, the server got a 50% tip, I could always say I paid what the meal should have cost, and everybody was happy. I usually went to the same places every night. It ensured I didn't get my food tampered with, the places didn't get robbed, and we were intolerant of messing with "our" places by hoodlums.
The big exception was In n out. It was really the only drive through I ever used if I couldn't get cleared to really eat. Always half price, rarely was there not a LE vehicle of some sort in their lot or drive thru, and they never got robbed. I can say with authority as well....being a drunk asshole to the workers at IN N Out where I worked was a near capital crime.

This all goes back to the simple observation that those who appreciate law enforcement get very good service. Same with places that give discounts to veterans, seniors, etc. It builds good loyalty and good relationships.

Gadfly
04-15-2016, 09:50 AM
I wear plain clothes 90% of the time, so I don't get "free" very often. On days we have warrants/raids/training, then I wear my issued 5.11s and my ninja gear, and we usually get offered half off at lunch. What I get annoyed by is coworkers (and even other agencies) who, even though they are plain clothed/UC, still try and get the free/discount. When its August in Texas, and the temp is 102 in the shade, and you are wearing jeans and an un tucked plain t-shirt, why in the hell do you grab your "POLICE" wind breaker out of the trunk and wear it into the restaurant? That is some embarrassing shit to the rest of us.

Even when marked, I always try and hand my cash or card to the cashier. Always try to pay, if they refuse, fine. I thank them. But I never assume I will get a deal.

**Side note: With only a year or so on, I had on all my gear from training. I had limited time for lunch and pulled into Taco Bell. I planned to drive through, but the line was loooooong. Looking in the window, I see only a couple of folks inside. So I decide to park and go in, as it looks faster. I enter the place and walk to the counter, and the yelling starts. Lettuce flies, utensils hit the floor, screams fill the air, and one employees jumps out the drive through window and two more hit the back emergency exit. I forgot. My t shirt said "INS" in huge letters. All that was left behind the counter was one very large African American lady at the cash register. She was laughing her ass off, and told me "that was great, you HAVE to come back and do that again next week". I just wanted a Taco, not to clear out all the help... All my INS t shirts were replace by shirts that only said POLICE. #Migralife

Lon
04-15-2016, 02:24 PM
**Side note: With only a year or so on, I had on all my gear from training. I had limited time for lunch and pulled into Taco Bell. I planned to drive through, but the line was loooooong. Looking in the window, I see only a couple of folks inside. So I decide to park and go in, as it looks faster. I enter the place and walk to the counter, and the yelling starts. Lettuce flies, utensils hit the floor, screams fill the air, and one employees jumps out the drive through window and two more hit the back emergency exit. I forgot. My t shirt said "INS" in huge letters. All that was left behind the counter was one very large African American lady at the cash register. She was laughing her ass off, and told me "that was great, you HAVE to come back and do that again next week". I just wanted a Taco, not to clear out all the help... All my INS t shirts were replace by shirts that only said POLICE. #Migralife

That's funny shit right there. I'd love to do that at a couple places around here. That and have the SWAT team come screeching up in front of a couple dope houses, then bail out with all out raid gear on. And then just stand there for a few minutes while everyone inside flushes all their dope. And then just leave.

Dagga Boy
04-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Yea, our POLICE windbreakers were known as IN N Out uniforms for the detectives.

secondstoryguy
04-15-2016, 03:43 PM
One thing I have always done is tip the discounted difference in price of the meal if they insist on giving me a discount. If they give me free food I buy the next guy in line a meal or pay the tab of a random person on the way out.

Lon
04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Yea, our POLICE windbreakers were known as IN N Out uniforms for the detectives.

What is this IN N OUT of which you speak? I'm guessing a burger chain?

tanner
04-15-2016, 04:17 PM

When I was assigned as a Detective, my assigned vehicle was a maroon mid 90's Caprice. It was the Chief's ride before it got passed down a couple of times before it got to me, nice car. Anyways, Detroit PD used to run "30 Series" cars, which were boosters. "Plain" cars which were there to supplement patrol. Usually the go-getters of the Precinct would get assigned as boosters so they had a reputation in the neighborhoods. They usually drove unmarked maroon Caprices.

I was just a suburban Detective, but I sure looked like a 30 Series car from a block away. When I would pull down certain streets investigating my cases, much to my amusement people would fly off porches and into the houses. I may or may not have taken a few extra turns a time or two just to witness more occurrences of the phenomenon.

Dagga Boy
04-15-2016, 05:33 PM
What is this IN N OUT of which you speak? I'm guessing a burger chain?

Not a burger chain, it is THE burger chain.

HCM
04-15-2016, 05:49 PM
I wear plain clothes 90% of the time, so I don't get "free" very often. On days we have warrants/raids/training, then I wear my issued 5.11s and my ninja gear, and we usually get offered half off at lunch. What I get annoyed by is coworkers (and even other agencies) who, even though they are plain clothed/UC, still try and get the free/discount. When its August in Texas, and the temp is 102 in the shade, and you are wearing jeans and an un tucked plain t-shirt, why in the hell do you grab your "POLICE" wind breaker out of the trunk and wear it into the restaurant? That is some embarrassing shit to the rest of us.

Even when marked, I always try and hand my cash or card to the cashier. Always try to pay, if they refuse, fine. I thank them. But I never assume I will get a deal.

You need to associate with a better class of LEO. Windbreakers, how gauche ! The local Detectives here simply bring their portable radio in and put it on the table.....

I never ask and if the bill shows up with a discount, the discount is left as a tip, usually 50% as Nyeti said.

LtDave
04-15-2016, 06:33 PM
We had a very firm policy that plainclothes officers' guns had to be concealed unless you were at a crime scene. Several guys got jammed up over this policy. It was funny for our detectives to walk in to a restaurant in our City and see a bunch of LASD, LADA or LAPD guys, coats off, eating lunch. Happened a lot.

Free drinks I had no problem with. Free meals, not so much. Server got a real big tip equal to the price of the meal. Of course the owner of my favorite restaurant in town wouldn't charge cops. I ate there for the food, regardless. I always believed that restaurants could charge what ever they wanted. If they discounted, that was fine, no discount was ok too. Never planned on or expected a discount. Servers got bigger tips as well.

HCM
04-15-2016, 06:38 PM
We had a very firm policy that plainclothes officers' guns had to be concealed unless you were at a crime scene. Several guys got jammed up over this policy. It was funny for our detectives to walk in to a restaurant in our City and see a bunch of LASD, LADA or LAPD guys, coats off, eating lunch. Happened a lot.

We have the same policy but when the temperatures break 100, "Walker Texas Ranger" carry becomes popular.

KeeFus
04-15-2016, 07:36 PM
In regards to meals...I rarely eat out anymore when on duty. Ive gotten into the habit of taking my own ever since an employee at a local restaurant here screwed with another officers food. Luckily the officer caught it before he ate it. I would not have wanted to be there if he had found out after chowing down on chicken wings with someone elses DNA on it.

On the rare occasions I do eat out in uniform...if given a discount I also leave the difference in the tip. Seems like that is common place in the LE world. However, there is always the few dickheads who will get dressed up in uniform on their day off just to get a free or discounted meal. Ive seen the fallout from that and it never ends well for the officer and usually screws the discount. Ive seen one dude bring his whole damn family to the Golden Corral on his day off and expect the free meal for his whole family. SMDH! Sometimes we are out own worst enemy.

SLG
04-15-2016, 08:30 PM
I have never worked for an agency that allowed us to accept free meals. Fireable offense.

The official policy was if they really insist, then you tip the full price and don't go back to that place again.

Gadfly
04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

Blasphemy. You are in Texas now, correct? Got to the holy place, the temple of WhatAburger, and repent your sins!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/2cdf93919b14c4b97984868239983ddf.jpg

And you can Badge them and get half off your order.

Lon
04-15-2016, 09:21 PM
I've had WhatAburger before in FL. Was pretty good. None of them around here.

HCM
04-15-2016, 09:38 PM
I've had WhatAburger before in FL. Was pretty good. None of them around here.

OH has White Castle though....

Dagga Boy
04-15-2016, 09:51 PM
Blasphemy. You are in Texas now, correct? Got to the holy place, the temple of WhatAburger, and repent your sins!

Thankfully, In N Out is also in Texas now and I don't have to go to a dirty Texas stop sign. You sound like Dobbs with the Whataburger thing. Luckily, Dobbs got schooled in Las Vegas about why In N Out is so wonderous. Now, there are some great food places in Texas, but Whataburger does not hold a candle to In N Out.

Lon
04-15-2016, 09:54 PM
OH has White Castle though....

We do. Weird thing though. They have a distribution facility close by but most of the WC's have closed nearby. Gotta drive a half hour to get to one. I may or may not time certain trips to certain places just to get my WC fix since my wife despises them.

Luke
04-15-2016, 09:56 PM
If you are open minded and willing to take a chance and be mind blown...

Go to what-a-burger. Get a Tripple with cheese plain and dry.. And for 2packs of ketchup and put 1 pack in burger.. Dip burger in other pack.

Your life will for ever be changed. Most will dismiss this as "I'm a man I love all that crap on by burger!", well, I do too, but just try this once.

It WILL NOT WORK ON A SINGLE OR DOUBLE, ONLY A TRIPPLE, MUST BE PLAIN AND DRY WITH CHEESE. YOU MUST ALSO FOLLOW KETCHUP INSTRUCTIONS.

YOUR WELCOME.

Dagga Boy
04-15-2016, 10:12 PM
I've been to Whataburger.......totally underwhelmed.

Lon
04-15-2016, 10:24 PM
I started a burger joint thread in the RR so we can argue about the best burgers around.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20141-Favorite-burger-joints&p=433590#post433590

HCM
04-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Thankfully, In N Out is also in Texas now and I don't have to go to a dirty Texas stop sign. You sound like Dobbs with the Whataburger thing. Luckily, Dobbs got schooled in Las Vegas about why In N Out is so wonderous. Now, there are some great food places in Texas, but Whataburger does not hold a candle to In N Out.

Whataburger's spicy ketchup is the bomb.

TxShooter
04-15-2016, 11:13 PM
About a year ago one of our patrol deputies found a 4" S&W M28 in a dope house. No hit on the serial number, but there was a Texas DPS issue number on the frame. I figured it was a long shot, but I called Austin. The guy who answered was ecstatic. Seems he'd been trying to help out a retired Trooper whose old duty gun had been stolen. The Trooper had been battling cancer and when it went into remission he and his wife went on a cruise. Unfortunately their daughter had a drug problem and let her boyfriend clean out the gunsafe while Mom & Dad were out of town. DPS's computerized records wouldn't let them pull up the serial by the Trooper's name, but when they ran the inventory number it was his. Issued to him in the academy, way back in 1969.

I called the Trooper to give him the good news. He was happy, to a point. "I'm glad y'all got it. I sure wish you'd found my old Smith 9mm (a M59). I shot the old boy that was carrying it and they let me keep it. Used that .357 in that gunfight."

Later on I found out the rest of the story. The Trooper made a traffic stop one night. The driver had murder on his mind, but his willingness to kill far outpaced his competence. When the Trooper walked up to the window the crook pointed the M59 at him and started yanking the trigger, but he neglected to release the safety. The Trooper put 6 rounds into him.

Luke
04-16-2016, 06:34 AM

You must try my trick. I HATED that place till I found out how to order.

JAD
04-16-2016, 06:40 AM
You must try my trick. I HATED that place till I found out how to order.

It's cute, it's like you're trying to reinvent the doubledouble animal style.

Redhat
04-16-2016, 11:55 AM

In the past year In/out opened here in San Antonio...I too was underwhelmed.

serialsolver
04-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Your a little guy, so you need to hide another gun on you that does as much damage as the one on your hip.

KPD
04-16-2016, 04:18 PM
The first Sheriff I worked for gave this as part of his welcome speech. "I gave you a gun and a badge, I expect a brain to go with it. If someone needs to be arrested then arrest them. If someone needs a ticket then write them a ticket. If someone can get by with a warning then give them a warning."

Trooper224
04-17-2016, 02:10 AM
I ate at a Whataburger for the first time this summer while in Texas, glorified Burger King. The best burgers on the face of the earth are to be had at The Cozy Inn in Salina, Kansas.

From a long departed academy sergeant to us recruits, "You'll work with people with two years on and twenty years worth of experience, as well as those with twenty years on and two years worth of experience. Think carefully about which ones you attach yourselves to."

From a wise old Master Trooper whom I greatly admired, "Son, you can move a mountain, but unless you use an agency shovel it doesn't mean anything.'

pablo
04-17-2016, 02:06 PM
It's like Six Flags but the danger is real.

That is not always true.....it can also rate high on the hot/crazy matrix.

We had one of those, we called her the black widow. She killed 3 police officer and 5 firefighter careers before she finally got canned. Despite the known risk guys, were lining up to ride that ride. That was the first time I heard the saying "it's like Six Flags but the danger is real".

Nephrology
04-17-2016, 04:17 PM
It's like Six Flags but the danger is real.

We had one of those, we called her the black widow. She killed 3 police officer and 5 firefighter careers before she finally got canned. Despite the known risk guys, were lining up to ride that ride. That was the first time I heard the saying "it's like Six Flags but the danger is real".

So, maybe someone can educate a non-LEO... how would a particularly crazy woman ruin your career in LE? In medicine careers don't usually get ruined by crazy women (unless they happen to be nurses in your department), typically it's just marriages and bank accounts that end up taking the hit...

serialsolver
04-17-2016, 04:58 PM
We may only catch the stupid ones, but we catch a lot of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HCM
04-17-2016, 06:12 PM
So, maybe someone can educate a non-LEO... how would a particularly crazy woman ruin your career in LE? In medicine careers don't usually get ruined by crazy women (unless they happen to be nurses in your department), typically it's just marriages and bank accounts that end up taking the hit...

- Crazy woman is messing with multiple guys = jealousy / fights / drama among the troops

- Crazy woman is messing with married guys = jealousy / fights / drama with the spouse, who in addition to divorce and it's financial implications makes an internal affairs complaint for conduct unbecoming. Plus if you are a Fed LEO or Military adultery is grounds for losing a security clearance as " unstable / risk taking behavior". Google Lt. Cmdr. Edward C. Lin.

- Crazy woman makes false allegations of domestic violence or sexual assault - Goggle noted firearms trainer and now former police captain Chase Jenkins.

Here is another example: http://legacy.kens5.com/story/news/2015/07/06/officer-guadalupe-campbell-sapd-family-violence/29785071/

gunrunner505
04-17-2016, 08:48 PM

You guys clearly have never been to Portillo's.

pablo
04-17-2016, 09:42 PM
- Crazy woman is messing with multiple guys = jealousy / fights / drama among the troops

When your out on patrol you might come across a building with a big open hole in the side. You might want to investigate that big gaping hole, there's real sense of adventure in jumping in that hole, you got to be careful. You don't know who else has just been through that hole. First you need to smell the air around the hole and look for strange liquids leaking out of it. If it doesn't smell or look right, even with protective equipment on, it's best to stay away from that hole and leave it for the firefighters. Then you really need to make sure that none of your buddies are in that hole. Some guys find an open hole that's just laying out their for anyone to enter, jump right in it and act like it's their turf. This can lead to misunderstandings and even friendly fire incidents. You really don't want to be the guy that got shot over a misunderstanding over a hole. So if you find an open hole, it may be best to just put on your blinders on and keep driving to the next call.

pablo
04-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Most of your guys will get fired for poor work performance long before they can build up to epic levels of drama. It's pretty hard to get fired from a police job: nothing proactive, do the bare minimum and take your sweet ass time getting there. Because the work standards are so low, cops can let their personal problems reach critical mass and not get fired for not working while everything piles up.

I guarantee you plenty of guys ruin medical careers over women, I've dealt with plenty of them, it's just that they're going to get shown the door a lot sooner.

john c
04-18-2016, 12:35 AM

To echo Pablo's comments, your hospital doesn't have a full time department of investigators whose job is to investigate any allegation of wrongdoing, in any aspect of your life. Crazy "friends with benefits" don't call your boss with allegations. Also, the nature of police work is that cops confront the other folks who are tapping the same maple tree. It gets ugly, fast.

Also, you probably don't have the opportunity to meet with "stethoscope bunnies" during work and do adult-like things with them. If you do, you can't be accused of coercion the same way, because you weren't wearing a badge and gun when it happened. Plus, the "stethoscope bunnies" you can cavort with at work probably also have their jobs on the line, so it probably keeps it a bit more civil.

45dotACP
04-18-2016, 02:11 AM
Heh...as a male nurse, I know for a fact a few medical professionals who were union and shown the door when busted for doing adult things with patients.

Lesson to be learned...don't do it with your patients...or your nurses...or your colleagues...and DEFINITELY NOT while they're wearing a heart monitor.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
04-18-2016, 05:40 AM
Most of your guys will get fired for poor work performance long before they can build up to epic levels of drama. It's pretty hard to get fired from a police job: nothing proactive, do the bare minimum and take your sweet ass time getting there. Because the work standards are so low, cops can let their personal problems reach critical mass and not get fired for not working while everything piles up.

I guarantee you plenty of guys ruin medical careers over women, I've dealt with plenty of them, it's just that they're going to get shown the door a lot sooner.

That makes sense. Sticking around in high-performance medical/surgical units requires a certain degree of, ah, personal mental hygiene...

Heh...as a male nurse, I know for a fact a few medical professionals who were union and shown the door when busted for doing adult things with patients.

Lesson to be learned...don't do it with your patients...or your nurses...or your colleagues...and DEFINITELY NOT while they're wearing a heart monitor.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

I've never heard of anyone even thinking about getting frisky with a patient, but I am also in the Emergency Dept... not a lot of takers for the drunk homeless HIV+ diabetic with bilateral BKAs...

SLG
04-18-2016, 07:13 AM
That makes sense. Sticking around in high-performance medical/surgical units requires a certain degree of, ah, personal mental hygiene...

I've never heard of anyone even thinking about getting frisky with a patient, but I am also in the Emergency Dept... not a lot of takers for the drunk homeless HIV+ diabetic with bilateral BKAs...

Yeah but come one. We've all seen Grey's anatomy...we know what goes on.:-)

gunrunner505
04-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Bottom line is, never dip your pen in the company's ink.

Do not ever ever ever mess around with people you work with.

KeeFus
04-18-2016, 07:57 AM
We had some employees that were caught more than once by people from the community and nothing was done. The female in the relationship kept expecting the male to leave his wife but he never would...all the while messing around on her husband with other officers with this guy AS WELL AS other guys from other agencies. Seems like everyone knew she was crazy as hell but no admin would do anything about the situation.

Finally the crazy fool got caught shoplifting in a local business and they called to report it...and that's the straw that finally broke the camels back.

Not to be outdone, the guy from our agency who she was messing with found another married female to mess around with. They finally got caught and were dismissed.

To echo what was recently posted, and a quote from my father: "never get your honey where you make your money."

1slow
04-18-2016, 10:27 AM
The one I heard when I was younger, "don't get your meat where you get your bread."

pablo
04-19-2016, 11:47 PM
"You'll take whatever your served, say thank you, and eat it with a goddamn smile on your face."

That was my old man whispering in my ear about what was going to happen with the vegetables that my grandmother had boiled all the nutritional value out of.

Heard a kid get snippy with the dispatcher tonight. He was right, she was wrong. Hope he likes drive thru's, cause he's not getting a meal break anytime soon. Everyone else gets to breath a sigh of relief. If a rape, child abuse, fat naked woman (or any naked person), or any generally undesirable call comes out, well he's already adopted that baby.

Dagga Boy
04-20-2016, 11:00 AM
"You'll take whatever your served, say thank you, and eat it with a goddamn smile on your face."

That was my old man whispering in my ear about what was going to happen with the vegetables that my grandmother had boiled all the nutritional value out of.

Heard a kid get snippy with the dispatcher tonight. He was right, she was wrong. Hope he likes drive thru's, cause he's not getting a meal break anytime soon. Everyone else gets to breath a sigh of relief. If a rape, child abuse, fat naked woman (or any naked person), or any generally undesirable call comes out, well he's already adopted that baby.

The greatest secret of law enforcement.....I used to regularly bring food to dispatchers, or at least call and ask if they wanted me to bring them something when I went to code 7. Also said please and thank you. Went a long way towards creating a peaceful work environment with them.

I was thankful for many of my co-workers indiscretions. I bought a lot of guns for pennies on the dollar from the guys who got caught cheating.

pablo
04-20-2016, 11:28 AM
The greatest secret of law enforcement.....I used to regularly bring food to dispatchers, or at least call and ask if they wanted me to bring them something when I went to code 7. Also said please and thank you. Went a long way towards creating a peaceful work environment with them.

Same here. I can't stand our dispatchers, a lot of guys can't figure why I'm so nice to them, why I always get a meal break, and unless it's an emergency I don't get jail or other time consuming calls in the last hour of shift.

LSP972
04-22-2016, 06:43 AM
Big agencies can definitely have dispatcher issues. In the smaller microcosm of a state police troop (at least here), the desk sergeant determines who gets stuck with what assignment. HE is the guy you want to stay on the good side of. I reminded more than one radio operator that she was nothing but a secretary with a microphone, and was no worse the wear for it. Of course, you want to remain cordial with all co-workers if you can. But some of them simply won't allow that to happen.

voodoo_man
04-22-2016, 07:45 AM
My dispatchers love me. Food? check. Birthdays? Check. Rides to/from dispatch? Check. Not getting the shit jobs? Double-check.

Hell, I had radio hide me for 3 hours one night because I needed to get something done out of my area. Dispatchers, while powerless in the grand scheme of things, really do control a lot.

Ronin_Jedi
04-22-2016, 08:41 AM

Hell, I had radio hide me for 3 hours one night because I needed to get something done out of my area. Dispatchers, while powerless in the grand scheme of things, really do control a lot.

Wait, what? Where's Internal Affairs? Get them on the phone! LOL LOL

Stay safe, it's a jungle out there.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Wait, what? Where's Internal Affairs? Get them on the phone! LOL LOL

Stay safe, it's a jungle out there.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

If you haven't done that, its only a matter of time.