PDA

View Full Version : Sunburns

Slavex
04-09-2016, 01:03 AM
So, this is the best one I've done yet. 2nd degree burns on entire upper back, shoulders, chest and down my arms to almost the elbow. Neck is ok, ears are ok, face was only slightly burnt, lower back a bit, but not even enough to peel. This is what happens when you put on sunblock with a shirt on, then decide to take off your shirt and go into the water for two hours, oh, and not put sunblock on the parts the shirt covered up. Dumb dumb dumb. Did this on Sunday while down in Jamaica, and not the only one, 4 others did the exact same thing. And yes I am sure the Red Stripes had something to do with it. Never really got too painful, tight and sore/stinging, but not bad. Not until I stuck to the sheets and didn't know it, then rolled over tearing some of my back off. I expect I'll get some neat scars and freckles from this one. Apparently I responded worse due having full on chickenpox back at New Years for 4 weeks. Makes the skin really light sensitive for at least a year I'm told. Whoot. Remember kids, use that sunblock or you'll look like a hog on a spit over a nice open flame.

And yes, I get the "vampire out in the sun" jokes non stop now.

Slavex
04-09-2016, 01:12 AM

Drang
04-09-2016, 02:44 AM
I keep telling people the Yellow Sky Demon is to be avoided!

Also: Amazon.com: rash guard (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rash+guard&sprefix=rash+guard%2Caps%2C430)

HSLD versions here (https://www.hazard4.com/apparel/training-apparel.html).

The Apprentice
04-09-2016, 05:30 AM
"Now the lepor on who the sore is, his clothes shall be torn and his head bare; and shall cover his mustache, and cry, Unclean! Unclean! He shall be unclean. He shall be unclean. All the days he has the sore he shall be unclean. He is unclean and shall dwell alone; his dwelling shall be outside the camp"
You might want to get that looked at.

LSP552
04-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Some form of aloe gel will help.

http://www.bananaboat.com/products/aloe-after-sun-gel?utm_source=bing&utm_term=banana%20boat%20after%20sun%20soothing&utm_campaign=PLX-BB_Branded&utm_medium=cpc

SLG
04-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear that! Try drinking something better than Red Stripe next time...;-)

At least you have a good attitude about it.

Poconnor
04-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Go to the doc and get some prescription creme. I got burned along time ago and my skin shedded like I was a snake.

nycnoob
04-09-2016, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlEhdx8hqGs

Reminds me of the old Bobs song "I Hate the beach boys":

But when the night falls (I toss and turn til dawn)
And I am dreaming (Sunlight fills my nightmares)
Two girls for every boy (I toss and turn the whole night through)
Why don't they wear something modest (I'm so tired of sunshine)
On the sand in August (Even in the nighttime)
Should be banned
Go away (Winter never comes to this place)
Please let (There's always sunny weather)
Me go where (I've been warm for too long)
Air is cold (Let me go where the air is cold)

Where air is cold (Let me go where the air is cold)
Where air is cold (Let me go where the air is cold)

Let me go away

Again, again, I remember
Again, again, I remember
When I met her, it was raining

A little sunburn (The sun gets brighter every day)
Could give me cancer (The sun gets brighter every day)
Protect my chromosomes (The sun gets brighter every day)
Please keep me free from melanoma (I'm so tired of sunshine)
I'll move to Tacoma (Can't wait for the nighttime)

Sing yahoo
Go away (Winter never comes to this place)
Please let (There's always sunny weather)
Me go where (I've been warm for too long)
Air is cold (Let me go where the air is cold)

http://www.songlyrics.com/bobs/i-hate-the-beach-boys-lyrics/

1slow
04-09-2016, 01:50 PM
OUCH ! BTDT

Aloe is best straight from the plant for burns. Old blacksmith trick, break the leaf off, crush it and rub the juice on.

Joe in PNG
04-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Been there, done that, and felt like I was covered in dried Elmer's Glue.

Slavex
04-09-2016, 04:34 PM
I put aloe on it for as long as I could, but when I took the pictures of the blisters I had to stop, touching the skin with anything caused it to tear and burst. The blisters got much much bigger too. I had some that were almost a foot long on my back/shoulders. They let go in the night while sleeping, so I woke up with a nice starchy shirt.
Skin is starting to peal in a major way now, not much pain or stinging now, except in a couple places. Fully expect a few scars. Using Vit E cream now, carefully, as again I don't want to speed up the peeling by rubbing it too much.
Right bicep is still warm to the touch, apparently our skin is a great way to store solar energy.
Oh, and I hit the doctor on Wednesday after I got back, on antibiotics for possible infection. Some of the blisters were pretty gross.

TiroFijo
04-09-2016, 06:16 PM
That's not funny, next time don't forget the sun block, or better yet just avoid staying too much under tropical sun.

I'm paraguayan and the sun here is like a torch in the summer, we even get some 34º C days (that's 93ºF for you gringos) in winter too.

When I was a kid sun block was unheard of and my brothers, friends and me roasted like that several times in the beginning of summer vacations. When I was a teen my house swimming pool was the place to be, and in the summer you had to sport a nice tan.

Now I'm older and a lot smarter, and simply avoid taking too much sun. I have fair skin, as my wife and kids. I do run/walk sometimes at 12:00, but choose shady trails. Whenever we go to a beach, we look amazed at all the people worshiping the sun and working hard for a cancer. Fair skin and too much sun are not a good combo, that's why Australia is the world's melanoma capital.

Slavex
04-10-2016, 04:21 PM
looking at getting a couple of those UV protecting long sleeve shirts as well as just some of the sleeves. I used to laugh at the idea, not anymore

Mr Pink
04-13-2016, 11:17 AM
looking at getting a couple of those UV protecting long sleeve shirts as well as just some of the sleeves. I used to laugh at the idea, not anymoreSince spending so much time outdoors and especially at ranges, I've started using thin long sleeve cotton shirts, applying spray on sunscreen twice (morning & lunch), and taking Heliocare Sun Protection Pills. I also try to take breaks in the shade when possible. Protect yourself!

Nephrology
04-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Fair skin and too much sun are not a good combo, that's why Australia is the world's melanoma capital.

looking at getting a couple of those UV protecting long sleeve shirts as well as just some of the sleeves. I used to laugh at the idea, not anymore

Melanoma is a really scary cancer too. Most derm cancers are easy to spot and easy to treat (chop it off) and rarely metastasize - EXCEPT melanoma. It metastasizes early and often, and when it does you are toast. Some patients will get a melanoma skin lesion removed and then 10 years later present to oncology withe metastastic lesions in their lungs, brain, pericardium.... Even worse, some primary melanomatous lesions can often look pretty innocuous to the untrained eye, so if you live in a very sunny place (like Colorado), get a skin exam once a year with your local dermatologist. A very worthwhile investment.

LSP552
04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
I've had my face cut on 3 times for squamous cell carcinoma in the last 5 years. I don't go anywhere outside without sunscreen now, and I'm on a 6 month schedule with the dermatologist. Melanoma scares the crap out of me.

Willard
04-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Silver sulfadiazine should set you right. Seriously almost a wonder drug from my limited experience with 2nd degree burns.

Slavex
04-14-2016, 06:08 AM
holy buzz kill

Melanoma is a really scary cancer too. Most derm cancers are easy to spot and easy to treat (chop it off) and rarely metastasize - EXCEPT melanoma. It metastasizes early and often, and when it does you are toast. Some patients will get a melanoma skin lesion removed and then 10 years later present to oncology withe metastastic lesions in their lungs, brain, pericardium.... Even worse, some primary melanomatous lesions can often look pretty innocuous to the untrained eye, so if you live in a very sunny place (like Colorado), get a skin exam once a year with your local dermatologist. A very worthwhile investment.

It was sheer stupidity and booze that led to not just me, but 5 or 6 of us being in the water with no sunblock on where our shirts had been. I'm told the recent chickenpox I had contributed to my skin being more sensitive than normal, resulting in the full thickness 2nd degree burns in some areas of my back. Strangely though it seems I will come out of this with no scars, perhaps the boatloads of Vit E cream I have been spreading over the burn is actually helping. I'm currently waiting on some of the UV protecting base layer UA shirts to show up for under my match shirts. Also going to be going with the highest possible sunblock on exposed skin from here on out.

archangel
04-14-2016, 01:49 PM
I've had my face cut on 3 times for squamous cell carcinoma in the last 5 years. I don't go anywhere outside without sunscreen now, and I'm on a 6 month schedule with the dermatologist. Melanoma scares the crap out of me.

Similar story here. The first one I let go far to long before it got identified, and wound up losing a patch of skin a little bigger than a quarter right next to my eyebrow.

On the plus side, the scars get me street cred, at least until I explain that they're from skin cancer and not, in fact, from an IED.